The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

This is lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's "lol" IMHO Is the fact that in a post-GHB world, they aren't paying attention to the fact that, rightly or wrongly, people are going to focus on matched play uses for everything (see: FW re-releases Verminlord model, immediately "Nice but where are the points?!" comments).  The fact those boxes don't give full units makes them unenviable for people who want to grab something to play with Skirmish and then upgrade to a "real" army later.  It's just a poor decision IMHO especially when the ironjawz and especially FEC one is amazing as a supplement to the start collecting box or even just for bolstering an army (I have 50 ghouls currently, I could certainly use 20 more and 3 horrors/flayers).

It's my hope this could mean Points Per Model is coming in GHB2, that makes those boxes more worth purchasing IMHO.

Edited by wayniac
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, wayniac said:

The stormcast and KBB ones are a joke though.  3 liberators and 2 retributors, 3 blood warriors?  probably that snap-fit garbage from the storm of sigmar laying around.  Not enough to use as a full unit in matched play = awful purchase IMHO even if Khorne gives you 5 wraithmongers/skullreapers with it.

I have Storm of Sigmar and I don't mind the snap fit models so much, but the odd numbers(for matched play) certainly don't encourage me to want to go out and buy more models to expand to a full army.

I probably will be getting the Iron Jaws of this though and I can easily see myself expanding it with a start collecting box.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Contents of the boxes are as follows: 

• Stormcast: 2 retributors, 3 liberators, 3 prosecutors, 1 knight questor
  • Khorne: 5 wrathmongers, 3 warriors, executioner with spear
  • FEC: 3 crypt flayers, 20 crypt ghouls
  • Ironjawz: 5 brutes, 10 ardboyz, shaman

All of the boxes are about a 30% discount with the Ironjawz being the best at 41%.

The U.S. prices for everything are: 

• $10 for Skirmish book
  • $80 for Sigmarite Mausoleum (garden of Morr x2)
  • $80 for 4x4 Soulblight Battlemat
  • $65 for each skirmish Warband box

Isn't it a little expensive for a "skirmish approach"?

Should'nt the logic be a small number of minis?

Guess I'll see what they try to achieve with this skirmish mode, but I am a little surprised at the moment.

Just now, pseudonyme said:

Isn't it a little expensive for a "skirmish approach"?

Should'nt the logic be a small number of minis?

Guess I'll see what they try to achieve with this skirmish mode, but I am a little surprised at the moment.

Mordheim was always 6-12 models.  I suspect these skirmish boxes will contain more models than you actually need for the starter warband.  Here are the images Ben Johnson shared today for the demo Skirmish game being placed on Warhammer TV on Weds: 

591a17c3c74b3_ScreenShot2017-05-15at1_43_01PM.png.123e9e6b734ce1fa9c531130a68b37bd.png591a17c69c65e_ScreenShot2017-05-15at1_43_11PM.png.96a9cf5acd98c1e56a90fc1d85b92d1a.png

I suspect they were limited by what they could offer based on what was on currently available sprues.  They clearly aren't going to make more molds for  Skirmish but rather use what they had.  

• Like 8

I don't mind the fact they're re-using the starter sprues for Stormcast. I presume the Prosecutors are the full set.  At the end of the day, if you're just buying some models for Skirmish, you may not care that much about the fact you're not getting complete units.

For everyone else, well, just skip the set and buy things individually, or buy a start collecting box which is almost as good and will get you a full set of Liberators.

Honestly, I'm just interested in the rules. It's a GW filler week that they tend to do before they're about to release something big (aka nu-marines or deathguard for 8th 40k).

I do think they could've made this a much more interesting release though. As it stands, it looks like a 1-weeker and something different will be out the week after, as there's not a whole lot of fanfare about the whole AoS Skirmish.

So how about instead (or in addition to) the boxed sets above, you got something like:

Scourge Privateers: Black Ark Fleetmaster, 10 Corsairs and a Scourgerunner Chariot (I do have 10 Corsairs lying around... and a blister of old metal ones... hmm....) 

Freeguild - Free Peoples Captain, 10 Freeguild Guard, 5 Pistoliers/Outriders

Bonesplitterz: Savage Warboss, Savage Orc Boys, Savage Orc Boar Boyz

Gitmob - Gitmob Shaman, 20 Gitmob Grots, 3 River Trolls (Yeah, went outside the faction a bit, which only goes to show that Troggoths are in an odd spot)

Flesheater one I don't mind, but it obviously suffers a bit from not having plastic heroes.

Deathmage - Necromancer, 10 Skeletons, 10 Dire Wolves

Brayherd - Beastmen Shaman, 10 Ungors, 10 Bestigors or Shaman, 10 Gor, 10 Bestigor.

Devotees of Slaanesh - Chaos Sorcerer Lord/Chaos Lord, 10/20 Marauders, 5 Hellstriders 

All the above chosen to only contain plastic kits. If you went into finecast kits also, it'd open up a large number of warbands that could be bundled up. think these are more interesting warbands than the re-hash of Stormcast and Khorne Bloodbound we get for every single release. 

Ideally, I would've liked to see them create a bunch of new heroes to lead warbands around. A Shadow Master for Swifthawk Agents, and you'd get people interested in making a Shadow Warrior warband (Mordheim anyone...). A Grot hero of any kind, and people want to pull out some Grots. Easy way to tie things into the Skirmish release, while giving some love to some factions that need a little bit of it.

That being said, listing off some of that stuff definitely has my creative juices going. Hope to find out more information soon!

Edited by someone2040
  • Like 2

One small silver lining to the Stormcast set: it's another way to patch up the issue that the Start Collecting Stormcast box comes with three Retributors. The SC box and this box combined gives you a Celestant, Questor, five Retributors, six Prosecutors and eight Liberators - add one of those £10 snapfit Liberator boxes and you're edging up on 1000 points for £100.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CJPT said:

One small silver lining to the Stormcast set: it's another way to patch up the issue that the Start Collecting Stormcast box comes with three Retributors. The SC box and this box combined gives you a Celestant, Questor, five Retributors, six Prosecutors and eight Liberators - add one of those £10 snapfit Liberator boxes and you're edging up on 1000 points for £100.

Alas you only get 2 Retributors in the SC box, you get 3 in the AoS starter set! 

I love the snap fit models. They are in my opinion excellent. The numbers are odd but I suspect they are just the spare sprues they have lying around. Why not use them as another portal into the game? 

I got into the game because I fell in love with the retributor and blood warriors. I only got the storm of sigmar to paint some models having played 40k for 20+ years now I have KBB and SCE 2000points each and am wondering what army to start next.

Will definitely be getting Skirmish. I understand why people would complain about the battlemat sizes but I've been looking for a suitable 4x4 mat to represent the realm of Death for Hinterlands games so this feels incredibly fortuitous! If the quality is good I don't mind the price so much. My only concern is that the Khorne mat is a lot more brash and busy than I would like, so I'm hoping the Death mat is at least a little more restrained.

I am really looking forward to seeing the Skirmish rules.

I am not bothered about new models not being released; but as @someone2040 said, it would have been a great opportunity for GW to offer value pack of less popular factions. The Shadespire model packs should also work as good Skrimish packs.

I am really excited about the 4x4 mat and will most probably be getting it.

9 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Looks like a shoulderpad. Probably too soon to get new Stormcast and I think GW forgot the White Lions exist so...

Probably some kind of space marine?

What little knowledge I have of space marines I don't think any of them wear lion pelts.

Quite a few possibilities.  Part of me wants to say Custodes, but I didn't think they were releasing any more in plastic - there are more of the big marines coming out so that's possible.  Guess that it could be an updated White Lion-esq model?