The Rumour Thread

29 minutes ago, PaniuBraniu said:

Real (high) elves on real horses. All the memories are so vivid now. This is certainly a release aimed at older, nostalgic players like myself, just like OG StD start collecting box. 

I think we can spot their scenery piece in the clip around 0:30, standing next to the Teclis maxi-mini. A huge rock with bonsai trees.

I dunno, I think they might hit the same issue as Idoneth of being too creative and not archetypal enough. I would much rather AOS tread new ground rather than just reiterate old designs so I'm not bothered myself.

But these are completely different to the Asur besides their troop type (Phalanx, cavalry, images etc). None of the Tolkienesque neo classical maritime Influence in their aesthetic, and it would seem no  dragon inspiration what so ever. Besides the Tau they're probably the most East Asian inspired faction GW have ever produced, lots of echoes of Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Bushido,

6 minutes ago, Nos said:

Besides the Tau they're probably the most East Asian inspired faction GW have ever produced, lots of echoes of Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Bushido,

Really? I see ancient Greece in them. As all other aelven factions.

And that Teclis! Beautiful.

• Like 5

I really like the new selves, was never a fan of high Elves but these are great. Particularly like the hollow knight guy, kinda reminds me of the angels from diablo 3.

Hopefully Seraphon get something more than what they've already shown, I'm hoping they have more to show but not holding my breath.

New nurgle warband is great, been contemplating starting a Nurgle mortals army and I think I will buy them as a cheap way to test out paint schemes and stuff.

40k stuff I am not really interested in but the newer Skiitari stuff just doesn't really strike me as 40k, will be great for AoS conversions but I'd be pretty disappointed if I actually collected AdMech.

I hope when/if AoS gets a Psychic Awakening equivalent the pace is much, much, much slower. It just doesn't seem like each book gets room to breath. Admittedly dont follow 40k that closely but it feels hard to keep up when their is constantly 2 or 3 books just about to be released all the time.

11 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

40k stuff I am not really interested in but the newer Skiitari stuff just doesn't really strike me as 40k, will be great for AoS conversions but I'd be pretty disappointed if I actually collected AdMech.

Disagree. Mechanical horses were always a part of 40k - look at the Death Korps of Krieg. And those wings? In Necromunda Bounty Hunters use them. Nothing unusual.

@Nos Yeah, I should just say Greece.

I also see Chinese/Asian design elements, especially in Teclis. Combined with cues from other things although outside of the helmets there's very little Greek in there IMO. Whatever it is, the end result is really nice however. 

I could imagine that since these are pretty "normal" the Malerion Aelves will be way less classical though.

Feel like by late Spring my Instagram feed is going to be wall to wall insane paintjobs of that Teclis mini and I'm looking forward to it

In terms of core units they've basically just revealed the silver helm and spearman successors, would think there's quite a lot of more outlandish stuff to come

Would love some dynamic floaty swordmaster/loremaster types with kairic acolyte/pink horror style gang wizard rules and arrows being deflected mid-air by the swords

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, El Syf said:

LVO reveals were rather underwhelming then. Two order armies; the grand alliance that arguably already has enough armies (sorry pointy elves fanbois).

I just dont understand these kind of Feelings... The pace GW is spreading out awesome stuff is incredible.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rosa said:

I just dont understand these kind of Feelings... The pace GW is spreading out awesome stuff is incredible.

Just would have liked it not to be two order armies,  one order and one destruction would have been good. Also I have a burning hatred for Aelves...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nos said:

None of the Tolkienesque neo classical maritime Influence in their aesthetic

With maritime I agree, however, the Old World high elves had maritime flavor, as they were somehow supposed to portray the British Empire of old.

These new guys are as neo-classical as one could hope. They have greek helmets and plums and the cavalry resemple greek cataphracts with armoured horses and lances. 

I don't see any east asian influence other than the bonsai trees.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, El Syf said:

LVO reveals were rather underwhelming then. Two order armies; the grand alliance that arguably already has enough armies (sorry pointy elves fanbois).

That's OK. The pointy elves fans do not trouble over opinions of fans of some lesser beings. In fact, they probably don't even notice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13
  • LOVE IT! 1

29 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Oddly enough, I think that's what bothers me about them. Lol!

I've come to expect so much crazy from AoS, that these guys feel sort of 'meh' to me.

Have a similar feeling. On the other hand we've just seen some battleline that is oridnary. The small hero cool and Teclis is great as other god-like models. I look forward to medium or heavy infrantry - that's where usually factions show their identity like Kurnoth Hunters, Endrinriggers or Necropolis Stalkers. If you ask me I think some aerial units would fit their aesthetics.

Edited by Aryann

2 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

2.0 Battletomes are complete.

Maggotkin, DoK, LoN and Idoneth are not 2.0 battletomes. They are more like 1.5.

LoN may not receive an update on the basis they are old kits which are being phased out. 

DoK are strong, but that as mostly due to things like their auras not being wholly within. Also a lot of the new kits that were made especially for DoK (looking at blood stalkers and khinerai with melee weapons) are basically unplayable. 

Idoneth are relatively strong, but highly restricted to using morsarr guard. The points decrease on sharks may have helped a bit, I'm experimenting, but many of the kits are terrible rules wise. Intended synergies, such as the soulrender and thralls, just don't work in practice. You also have old design choices such as volty and the leviadon triggering on 6+. Seeing as most lists run geminds these abilities are useless. Non-eel idoneth are probably a bottom tier army. 

Both DoK and Idoneth have terrible battalions that are fairly unplayable. 

I know that maggotkin are hurting a bit too. Their demons are really poor in particular. I'm not enough of an expert to give any insight. 

Even 2.0 Nighthaunt and Stormcast need some love. Legion of Grief has helped nighthaunt a bit, but all their units are basically better in LoN or grief than in their own tome. 

Stormcast, like it or not, are the poster children of aos. They too have a book with quite poor internal balance. Even their best lists are really struggling now. 

So personally I would be happy if they just kept updating new books. Buying a new rulebook every 2 years seems reasonable to be and the best way to stop armies becoming stagnent. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, michu said:

Oh, and I think that Seraphon players missed some lore bits when they were looking for new miniatures - some Seraphon are changing into Coalesced. They're getting real!!

So, previously, they existed because the Slann dreamed them into existence. 

Did the Slann dream them into existence for a whole reproductive cycle? Like a Slann wet dream?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

LoN may not receive an update on the basis they are old kits which are being phased out. 

Are you serious: for me it is one of the most beatiful range in AoS. And it doesn't show its age. And you you know what? Skeletons can't age! 😉

But I agree that LoN need an update, ideally with some decor/ES and even a new unit (example: a catapult like or some archers....)

Beasts of Chaos would be thankful if they got a new battletome, even being inside the 2.0 they are doing poorly as Im concerned (they were the worst positioned army in a recent national spanish tournament in which participated 150 players or so)

2 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Are you serious: for me it is one of the most beatiful range in AoS. And it doesn't show its age. And you you know what? Skeletons can't age! 😉

But I agree that LoN need an update, ideally with some decor/ES and even a new unit (example: a catapult like or some archers....)

If I were to guess I'd say the more Death factions we receive the less often will LoN be updated. With AoS promoting strictly themed armies, LoN might be too generic at some point. We already have ghouls (FEC), ghosts (Nighthaunt) and skielies (OBR). When/If GW adds a vampire specific faction LoN will have not much to offer in terms of identity.

• Like 1