AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

30 minutes ago, Fuxxx said:

If that is how it's worded. I thought it was you can only give the same unit one command per phase and not each command only once.

And there have been rumors floating around that you can only ever have + or - 1 to hit, wound and save. Still I like my Castellant.

From what I've seen it's just hit/wound, save is not effected

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Leaks for those that don’t obsessively study every single social media platform.

image.png

Yndrasta seems like a beast, especially if you pair her with bodyguards that you can bring back for free. 

Hopefully our dusty Prime will get a better warscroll and a FNP like his ladyfriend. :)

My group is ignoring the rumor because it doesn't affect them, but is anyone else concerned about all stormcast getting a 3+? I'm afraid of becoming the new petrefex elite, since I played as an army lacking in rend against them. It was legitimately not fun. I just bounced off and died most of the time. There was very little I could do. Especially with the de-buffs, but that's not really a concern here.

While I thought they looked like 3+ saves when stormcast first came out, I grew to accept the 4+. I realize that the top armies aren't going to struggle against it, but the lower tier armies lacking rend and mortals will flounder against us. Especially the likes of beasts of chaos, among others. The 3+ save feels right for the army, I just want my opponent to have fun too.

Thoughts?

I think the 3+ only applies to the folks in the new Thunder Armour. The others probably stay at 4+. Although I can not say that even with a castellant that seemed enough to make up for the low wounds in any of the few games I played so far :D But I'm a total noob and only played 6 games as Stormcast. 

• Like 1

The 3+ armor will probably apply to paladin units and standard troops with shields.

The big difference between SCE and Petrifex is that - as far as we know - SCE don't have access to save rerolls, wound negation, or the ability to return masses of slain models. This makes the 3+ save very good, but not outrageously so.

Armies that lack rend or mortal wounds will probably struggle against them in a straight up fight, but they can still win if they play the objective game (winning by dying tactically isn't the most fun, but it does work.)

Additionally, I strongly suspect that those armies will be among the first in line for a new battletome, and their drawbacks will be addressed.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Wait, are there still armies in the game that lack mortal wounds?

In meaningful numbers? Yeah. Beasts of chaos, slaves to darkness, khorne, slaanesh, (I'd say) nighthaunt, among others, but I don't want to have to go through all their warscrolls to confirm what I remember from playing with/against them. Basically many armies might have a few units/tools that might be able to deal with us, but as an army, many lack sufficient rend, damage, or mortals to make me think they'll do fine against a global 3+ with a possible +1 save waiting in the wings. I could be biased as I usually play the lower end of the army power spectrum, but I want my opponents to have fun too. I'm just concerned. Assuming the rumor is right, of course. 

Don't get me wrong, the 3+ feels right for what stormcast do in the stories, (that is what a rule writer is supposed to achieve when making them,) I'm just concerned about balance.

Although, many stormcast units don't exactly do the damage either. ... Who knows. We'll see how the army feels come release day. As always, give it 3+ games to feel it out before deciding. Hope everyone's had a good week and will have a great weekend.

For Sigmar!

9 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

My group is ignoring the rumor because it doesn't affect them, but is anyone else concerned about all stormcast getting a 3+? I'm afraid of becoming the new petrefex elite, since I played as an army lacking in rend against them. It was legitimately not fun. I just bounced off and died most of the time. There was very little I could do. Especially with the de-buffs, but that's not really a concern here.

While I thought they looked like 3+ saves when stormcast first came out, I grew to accept the 4+. I realize that the top armies aren't going to struggle against it, but the lower tier armies lacking rend and mortals will flounder against us. Especially the likes of beasts of chaos, among others. The 3+ save feels right for the army, I just want my opponent to have fun too.

Thoughts?

Totally different. PE combined high saves with high model count, mass resurrection, and frankly outrageous damage (3 attacks exploding 6s with +1 to hit at rend 2 on basic infantry when fully buffed). High saves on their own is not q problem especially when it’s low model count, restricted resurrection and normalised damage.

It is Libs and Seqs to 3+

9 hours ago, Fuxxx said:

I think the 3+ only applies to the folks in the new Thunder Armour. The others probably stay at 4+. Although I can not say that even with a castellant that seemed enough to make up for the low wounds in any of the few games I played so far :D But I'm a total noob and only played 6 games as Stormcast. 

9 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

The 3+ armor will probably apply to paladin units and standard troops with shields

3 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

In meaningful numbers? Yeah. Beasts of chaos, slaves to darkness, khorne, slaanesh, (I'd say) nighthaunt, among others, but I don't want to have to go through all their warscrolls to confirm what I remember from playing with/against them. Basically many armies might have a few units/tools that might be able to deal with us, but as an army, many lack sufficient rend, damage, or mortals to make me think they'll do fine against a global 3+ with a possible +1 save waiting in the wings. I could be biased as I usually play the lower end of the army power spectrum, but I want my opponents to have fun too. I'm just concerned. Assuming the rumor is right, of course. 

Don't get me wrong, the 3+ feels right for what stormcast do in the stories, (that is what a rule writer is supposed to achieve when making them,) I'm just concerned about balance.

Although, many stormcast units don't exactly do the damage either. ... Who knows. We'll see how the army feels come release day. As always, give it 3+ games to feel it out before deciding. Hope everyone's had a good week and will have a great weekend.

For Sigmar!

Dont worry, ive played lots of games with 1+ rerol 1 save liberators and they be dead turn 3 anyway. The game can handle weaker troops with a lot of strong saves. And since we cannot do stuff like 15 hard to kill paladins or 30 libbies, those smaller numbers wont matter to much for game balance. The mortal wound spam increases makes that 3+ army wide not a big problem when fasing sce as an MSU elite army

• Thanks 1

Yeah 3+ is nice but if the dominion half is any indication (and leaks are correct) we have 20 bodies and 66 wounds for 1350 pts (which translates to 20pts per wound, although of course there are a lot of heroes in the box). Without some decent MW protection (bodyguard helps but only the heroes) and/or ways to improve objectives play, I'd say these are not the numbers of a problematic battletome

Hey guys if rumors are true, what do you think of deploying Celestant prime with a unit of praetors, maybe 6 praetors with a prime could be a very good threat now!

thinking of something like Celestant Prime+3 praetors+ 3 anhilators+ mr important from the back!😅 dont know if it’s competitive but I will try that out!! Hope they made the Prime better... pls,pls

Edited by Erdemo86

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

Hey guys if rumors are true, what do you think of deploying Celestant prime with a unit of praetors, maybe 6 praetors with a prime could be a very good threat now!

thinking of something like Celestant Prime+3 praetors+ 3 anhilators+ mr important from the back!😅 dont know if it’s competitive but I will try that out!! Hope they made the Prime better... pls,pls

with present rules, the problem of celestant prime + praetors is that if you bring down the celestant to charge something, you need the praetors to also a) get the charge off b) have enough space to charge. If you plan to use him as MW platform it's easier ofc

image.png.1b9565809babb9317e602d4cfd79e736.pngThey shouldnt look too jarring next to each other, the tactical rock adds some height to the Vindictor here. Although with 2" reach confirmed it will be hard pressed for liberators to be any good, unless the hammers get better stats than 3+/3+/rend 1/1 MW on 6s... Usually spears hurt less but got the reach...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

They shouldnt look too jarring next to each other, the tactical rock adds some height to the Vindictor here. Although with 2" reach confirmed it will be hard pressed for liberators to be any good, unless the hammers get better stats than 3+/3+/rend 1/1 MW on 6s... Usually spears hurt less but got the reach...

if the liberators go to 3+ and remain noticeably cheaper than these guys I would still consider them

Could Prime Electrids buff new arcane bolt to D3 for range 12” and D6 for range 3”?

If yes, I think Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon could be very scary because they can shatter 3 spirit flasks, deal D6 mortal wounds and deal D3 from new monster ability on top of them.

Edited by armisael
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

There's not even that much difference between their bulk. I was expecting the newcast to be a whole lot more leaner. I think across the chest, legs, arms, etc., there's really nothing too noticeable. The shoulder pads probably have the biggest disparity.