AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Morning all,

Here is the new thread for discussing Stormcast Eternals. With the imminent release of AoS 2 and a new Stormcast battletome, now is the time for us to start afresh on TGA.

Moving forward, this will be the main thread to chat about and discuss Stormcast Eternals in the new edition. I still wholly encourage people to keep their own threads/army blogs within this sub forum and I also think those are a great place to share some photos as I know not everyone frequents the Painting & Modelling section (like me!). But this thread is purely for discussion around the faction, things such as (but not limited to) tactics and list building etc. You all know the drill, we've been doing it on this forum since inception!

For newer players, I would say the older thread could still be worth perusal and whilst it is now locked for further replies, you can find it here - http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/17980-lets-chat-stormcast-eternals/

Really excited to see what we can come up with as a community and I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think each Stormhost will keep it's main special rule and lose some of the others. It's logical that a free "enclave" will give less benefits than a expensive battalion.

I hope we get all of the ones in the previous Battletome, as I can't put my finger on one of them being less iconic or liked.

11 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

I think each Stormhost will keep it's main special rule and lose some of the others. It's logical that a free "enclave" will give less benefits than a expensive battalion.

I hope we get all of the ones in the previous Battletome, as I can't put my finger on one of them being less iconic or liked.

So previously Hammers ofSigmar had 2 abilities and 1 command trait:

• +1 bravery;
  • When a liberator unit dies on a 6+ it returns on your next turn;
  • All your units within 3" from your general have a 6+ save against wounds and mortal wounds (command trait).

What will it keep and what will it lose? +1 bravery is not that great (it's good but not overpowered) and the command trait is somewhat viable but not at a "staunch defender" level. The one that seems most intresting is the resummon save on the liberators but getting that "for free" seems too much.

I'm considering waiting until the bonuses are out to decide if I keep the Sancrosanct with my Hammers or if they are a new force. 

Also because I really hated painting robes over gold on the Ordinator and not sure I fancy a whole army of it. 

• Like 1

I'm headed to a tourney using the new GHB2018 and i could use some Critique, ive created 2 lists and i need your help deciding. INC spam.

560 Lord celestant on stardrake General staunch defender, armor of silvered sigmarite 
 100 Lord Castellent
 100 knight heraldor
 140 knight incantor
 100 lord  relictor  Lightning Chariot

*240 Fulminator
 *240 Fulminator
 160 Judicator
 160 Judicator
 100 liberator

40 Chronomatic Cogs
 1940, 2 Command points.
*(either 2x2 Units or 1x4)
Thoughts: Core is a Les martin build with added speed and magic for some very fast fuliminator / stardrake action
with Cogs and command ability they are "running" 18' and a 2d6+2 charge distance. 
Lightning chariot + charge is a 50% success. 
Core of slow moving troops is helped with added speed (+2) and guard the heroes for the look out sir.  
Stardrake helps spellcasting. 

Alternative

460 Drakesworn Templar Armor of silvered sigmarite, Stormlance. 
 100 Castellent
 100 Heraldor
 240 Knight arcanum General, Staunch Defender. 
 120 Lord Veritant, Lightning Chariot. 

260 concussors
 260 concussors
 160 Judicators
 120 Sequistors
 120 Sequistors 

40 Chronomatic cogs. 

1980 1 Command point. 
 Thoughts, Same as above, with less protection but more mortal wound output, you have a stronger batteline for objetive holding,
 internal synergies with the concussors and the Drakesworn templar, Making the lightning stun activate on a 5+, should be effective at locking down hordes.
 Knight arcanum has the movement to skirt around the battlefield, lending aid to the dracoths / templar.
 Lord Veritant adds dispell and a "free" Gryph hound for added Presence. '
 Stardrake helps Knight arcanum reaching the improved versions of his spell. 

Any suggestions are welcome. 

2 hours ago, DanielFM said:

Well...
With our battle trait being absolute ****** and some of the stormhosts being quite good I won't be upset if we keep SOTS the same and get stormhosts full abilities as enclaves/temples whatever

• Like 1

The list I’ve been thinking of is very similar to these...

stardrake (can’t decide between lord or Templar)

lord arcanum (maybe drake oath once we see the new battle tome, if not the soul wars one for the stardrake resurrection)

gavriel sureheart for extra movement

lord veritant

lord Celestant (for +1 hit)

1x4 Fulminators

sequitors

sequitors

Liberators

60 points left over for either cogs or a command point.

it follows your scheme of hard hitting units in the face of the enemy chomping away turn 1.

I predict we're only going to get rules for 4 Stormhosts: Hammers of Sigmar, Anvils of the Heldenhammer, Celestial Vindicators, and Hallowed Knights. Those were the 4 shown in the Core Book.

As far as list building goes, I'm going to start the new edition with a Sacrosanct + Stardrake army. Stardrakes being able to add or subtract 1 from every wizard near them is exactly what the new meta will need. I like the look of a big blob of Sequitors buffed by an Arcanum and Evocators to reroll hits, wounds, and saves in the combat phase.

10 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I predict we're only going to get rules for 4 Stormhosts: Hammers of Sigmar, Anvils of the Heldenhammer, Celestial Vindicators, and Hallowed Knights. Those were the 4 shown in the Core Book.

As far as list building goes, I'm going to start the new edition with a Sacrosanct + Stardrake army. Stardrakes being able to add or subtract 1 from every wizard near them is exactly what the new meta will need. I like the look of a big blob of Sequitors buffed by an Arcanum and Evocators to reroll hits, wounds, and saves in the combat phase.

And I hope you are wrong.

How many players have painted their army as Astral Templars, Tempest Lords, Knights Excelsior or Celestial Warbringers? They deserve to have rules as much as the other 4.

Just now, DanielFM said:

How many players have painted their army as Astral Templars, Tempest Lords, Knights Excelsior or Celestial Warbringers? They deserve to have rules as much as the other 4.

I agree or built their own stormhost.  Maybe we can get rules for building our own stormhosts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midjithero said:

The list I’ve been thinking of is very similar to these...

stardrake (can’t decide between lord or Templar)

lord arcanum (maybe drake oath once we see the new battle tome, if not the soul wars one for the stardrake resurrection)

gavriel sureheart for extra movement

lord veritant

lord Celestant (for +1 hit)

1x4 Fulminators

sequitors

sequitors

Liberators

60 points left over for either cogs or a command point.

it follows your scheme of hard hitting units in the face of the enemy chomping away turn 1.

I would add a heraldor instead of gavriel and castellant instead of veritant.

I kind of wonder if GW's goal is to make SCE very average.   I mean when were top tier they got hammered hard by all the haters and all of our changes seem in total meant to keep from us being top tier but also not bottom tier.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

I hope I'm wrong, too - I play Celestial Warbringers :)

So far we've seen 6 Skyports for KO, 4 Temples for DOK, and 6 Enclaves for Idoneth, so it's certainly possible for us to see 8+ Stormhosts... but I'm not getting my hopes up.

2 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

I think the chambers will be like kharadron overlords. 

I would really like this to be the case.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/26/26th-june-preview-new-heroes-of-the-stormcast-eternalsgw-homepage-post-2/

Hmm.... both of these seem...... underwhelming? Why should I take Solbright over a Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline? It doesnt look like she gets anything special besides her spell. 

At least Firestrike has a new command ability, new spell and 2 special rules that put him above a normal Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (well at least what I assume to be the rules for one based off the Gryph-Charger variant)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/26/26th-june-preview-new-heroes-of-the-stormcast-eternalsgw-homepage-post-2/

Hmm.... both of these seem...... underwhelming? Why should I take Solbright over a Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline? It doesnt look like she gets anything special besides her spell. 

At least Firestrike has a new command ability, new spell and 2 special rules that put him above a normal Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (well at least what I assume to be the rules for one based off the Gryph-Charger variant)

After the seeing the Nighthaunt characters yesterday these are a bit of a let down. Firestrike I can see using, the other one not so much. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

Hmm.... both of these seem...... underwhelming?

Absolutely. Revealing them after showing the powerhouses that Nighthaunt will get only makes them more underwhelming. The Mortarch of Grief is 120 points cheaper the the Magistrate of Hammerhal and arguably more powerful. 

• Like 1