AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, The Cranky Dwarf said:

Quick question lads, since you cant mark darkoath heros, they dont have the aura correct? meaning the aura would be why you'd take the hero of chaos. or am i reading that wrong?

For the exalted hero, yeah, you'd just be taking it for a cheap chaos aura, but I think you're pretty much always better off going for a Chaos lord if you can spare the 20 points. You get a lot from it. The Darkoath heroes I'd think you only take if you want the command abilities, which you probably will want at least one of the two if you're running a lot of marauders or cultists; the chieftain has a good command ability to pair with marauder/cultist screens if you can afford to use the CP on them.

1 hour ago, Souleater said:

If I ran a Khorne S2D army would I be able to access Judgements?

No, but if you take a Warshrine with a mark of Khorne in a Khorne army, you could take a Judgement on it.

(Edit: IE: You have to be using the khorne allegiance abilities to take judgements. You could play a full S2D army with everything marked khorne except up to 25% of points/units that would be treated as allies and use the Khorne allegiance abilities instead of the S2D ones.)

Edited by Asamu
  • Thanks 1

Anyone has an idea, how you can make Varanguard battleline in the new StD book? Is there some rule hidden away in the Host of the Everchosen that says that they get that? Or their formation? Or Archaon? Because on the point cost page there is nothing about them being battleline or if they are battleline if Archaon's the general...

The point increases hurt. The best list I can do with the models I wanted is:

HEROES

- Archaon

- Lord on foot

BATTLELINE

- 10x Warriors

- 10x Warriors

- 10x Knights

OTHER

- 3x Varanguard 

seems a little lacking and rather easy to kill but I could be wrong as I’m not sure on how the updated warscrolls will go. 

• Like 1

Just dug out my Slaves to darkness boxes. One start collecting and one Godsworn battleforce. Giving me 1 Sorcerer, 1 Sorcerer on Manticore, 1 Warshrine, 15 Knights, 2 chariots and 28 Warriors. 

Pre-ordered the book, cards and new start collecting giving me mounted lord and another 10 Warriors and 5 Knights.

Now I only need to figure out how to build it all 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vanger said:

Anyone has an idea, how you can make Varanguard battleline in the new StD book? Is there some rule hidden away in the Host of the Everchosen that says that they get that? Or their formation? Or Archaon? Because on the point cost page there is nothing about them being battleline or if they are battleline if Archaon's the general...

@TheHarrower, this may be interesting for you, too:

Unbenannt.PNG.76f01e47bf9fa32abbe787ba101248a1.PNG

Varanguard: Battleline in Slaves to Darkness army if all units are Host of the Everchosen

@Vanger the list from 2 pages ago was not from the tome but a compilation that TheHarrower made ;)

Edited by Charleston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

Just dug out my Slaves to darkness boxes. One start collecting and one Godsworn battleforce. Giving me 1 Sorcerer, 1 Sorcerer on Manticore, 1 Warshrine, 15 Knights, 2 chariots and 28 Warriors. 

Pre-ordered the book, cards and new start collecting giving me mounted lord and another 10 Warriors and 5 Knights.

Now I only need to figure out how to build it all 😅

That Battleforce box is looking like a pretty solid purchase at this point in time!

It has everything you’d want ( plus a chariot you can use for a Chaos Lord on foot 😄) It’s the only one of those boxes my FLGS still has in stock!

For me I am very excited while we might not be broken I have looked through the warscrolls and the minor improvements and for me this gives me plenty of options that won't feel like I'm self handicapping myself. 

If the battalions are varied and flavourful I think this is going to be on par with the Gloomspite, Ogors books and that's great!! 

I have pre-ordered the books and cards as I have 4000 points of chaos already built. Though I say this the new sculpts and cultists I am sure will tempt me if not the magic cat of doom and the crusher! 

Exciting times hitting the tables next year with slaves and big man.

Anyone else notice Archaon is missing a command ability on the App. 'By my Will' is missing anyone know what it is? 

• Like 1

I have purchased 2 start collecting and the book,

hoping to build a list that doesnt require marauders, i really dislike those models, probably the only unit in the entire range id be dissapointed to use.

not updating the warriors is interesting, im waiting till i get the models in my hand before considering purchasing the old slaves start collecting to bulk out the warrior units and knights 

9 minutes ago, Salt_merchant said:

I have purchased 2 start collecting and the book,

hoping to build a list that doesnt require marauders, i really dislike those models, probably the only unit in the entire range id be dissapointed to use.

not updating the warriors is interesting, im waiting till i get the models in my hand before considering purchasing the old slaves start collecting to bulk out the warrior units and knights 

I hear you on the Marauders. My ‘Marauders’ will be a box of Vikings I got ages ago. Then supplemented with my Darkoath, Godsworn Hunt and when they come the Spire Tyrannts. I have 35 warriors already, with one new start collecting box ordered. 😂

• Like 1

Hi all,

I´m pretty excited about that release, though I wonder about the missing high rend attacks. Can´t see how this army is able to reliably slay the foe (think about Bonereapers with reroll saves for example).

Well one question:

Chariots for example are battleline in a SLAVES TO DARKNESS army. On the other hand you can build an army that is all NURGLE and SLAVES TO DARKNESS. That army could be run with NURGLE Allegiance.

Would Chariots be battleline in auch an army, because the army is a NURGLE, SLAVES TO DARKNESS army?

Same aplies to Tzeentch, Khorne and Slaanesh.

If that´s possible I think you could get a pretty good NURGLE army.

9 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I hear you on the Marauders. My ‘Marauders’ will be a box of Vikings I got ages ago. Then supplemented with my Darkoath, Godsworn Hunt and when they come the Spire Tyrannts. I have 35 warriors already, with one new start collecting box ordered. 😂

yeah i picked up the warqueen as she looks neat.

gotta figure out which cultist units are worthwhile to use with her

37 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

Hi all,

I´m pretty excited about that release, though I wonder about the missing high rend attacks. Can´t see how this army is able to reliably slay the foe (think about Bonereapers with reroll saves for example).

Well one question:

Chariots for example are battleline in a SLAVES TO DARKNESS army. On the other hand you can build an army that is all NURGLE and SLAVES TO DARKNESS. That army could be run with NURGLE Allegiance.

Would Chariots be battleline in auch an army, because the army is a NURGLE, SLAVES TO DARKNESS army?

Same aplies to Tzeentch, Khorne and Slaanesh.

If that´s possible I think you could get a pretty good NURGLE army.

You can’t use it as battleline in the other Chaos Armies (Maggotkin of Nurgle, Disciples of Tzeentch). You can use them and mark them as Nurgle and gain Nurgle’s benefits, but you can’t use it as battleline.

Only Slaves to Darkness.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

38 minutes ago, Salt_merchant said:

yeah i picked up the warqueen as she looks neat.

gotta figure out which cultist units are worthwhile to use with her

For me, it’s more about the look of the Warbands. Spire Tyrants look most like the Darkoath, hence me wanting them. Love the Darkoath look.

My Manticore Lord is Galrauch ridden by the Warqueen. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Charleston said:

@TheHarrower, this may be interesting for you, too:

Unbenannt.PNG.76f01e47bf9fa32abbe787ba101248a1.PNG

Varanguard: Battleline in Slaves to Darkness army if all units are Host of the Everchosen

@Vanger the list from 2 pages ago was not from the tome but a compilation that TheHarrower made ;)

Thanks @Charleston. I updated the image in my original post. Appreciate you! I couldn't make it out.

I'm planning to make mixed god Marauders.... A mix of blood reavers (khorne) kairic acolytes with weapon swaps (tzeentch), and the nurgles rotters bloodbowl team (nurgle). Haven't figured out slaanesh though. Maybe more kairic acolytes or namarti reavers or something. I agree, I'm super surprised and a little disappointed they didn't drop the Marauders. They are terrible models.

49 minutes ago, ArcaneLore74 said:

loving the marauder buff but don't like the models - ideas for conversions or proxies please - what about using the 25mm chaff units from the newer warcry warbands as marauders and rebasing some of the 28mm and 32mm to 25mm?

Just do it. I feel like spare tyrants will mix very well with Bloodreavers.

I made the first 20 Marauders from my Beastman Gor whom I gave Marauder Shields from my old Bitsbox. If I'm going to do more I will be taking Bloodreavers with some slight modifications and the Spire Tyrants (probably also Scions of the Flame if possible)

10 hours ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

Bloodreavers with marauder shields is the best bet I feel. Kairics look too tzeentch-y, unless you are doing a Tzeentch marked army. Bloodreavers are just nicer looking marauders with a passion for skulls. Cut off any khorne pendants, maybe sculpt over some Khorne armor emblems with greenstuff to make neutral-looking armor plates, etc. Spare shields can be found on Ebay, sourced from Skeletons, Marauders, Marauder Horsemen, and Ungors. You could also make your own shields, but that is hard.

What is the size difference there? Marauders are on 25mm and Bloodreavers are on 32mm

With the Slannesh aura any rolls of six to hit generates two hits. How does this interact with the Cursed Warhammer that the Chaos Lord on Demonic amount has? It inflicts two mortal wounds on the roll of a six to hit with the combat sequence then ending. Does that mean he is inflicting four mortal wounds for each roll of a six to hit. That seems rather powerful.

Despite how memey the Archaon+all Varanguard list looks it may actually be good. I mean all your dudes hit for a ton, fly, fight two times, ignore magic and have death frenzy from Archaon. And you're 1 drop.

It's kinda like chaos version of eel spam on steroids.

It also costs close to 1k $ so I'm not surprised GW pushed it so hard with exact specific host and battalion only for it.

Edited by Smooth criminal
  • Like 1