AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Is the Mighty Lord of Khorne on foot still considered pretty bad overall?

Nope! His command ability is useful since it's now all Mortal units wholly within 16", and his Reality-Splitting Axe now works in any phase instead of just the combat phase (ie if you make him fight in the hero phase, it works there too). 

He's best in Goretide, given the Gorecleaver and made your General. This fixes his main issue, damage output. He now does a minimum of 2 damage per hit (Goretide Command Trait is +1 damage to one weapon or all, not 100% sure), at a -2 Rend, but when you roll a 6 to wound... double damage! This means he's doing 2d3 + 1 per hit as per Designer's Commentary. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

the Skullfiend Tribe and the Goretide. Battalions would be the Bloodforged...

Bloodforged focuses (like many battalions) too much power on a single weak/slow model. It looks really powerful but is way too conditional to have any impact against an experienced player.

Skullfiend Tribe is overall too conditional for my tastes but might be salvageable if you can use a WoK BT as general and get the goodies. (seemingly not all abilities check for mortal/daemon).

13 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Is the Mighty Lord of Khorne on foot still considered pretty bad overall?

It is a footslogging model with 6 wounds, go figure.

Maybe in Goretide.

Edited by Xasz

7 minutes ago, Xasz said:

Bloodforged focuses (like many battalions) too much power on a single weak/slow model. It looks really powerful but is way too conditional to have any impact against an experienced player.

Skullfiend Tribe is overall too conditional for my tastes but might be salvageable if you can use a WoK BT as general and get the goodies. (seemingly not all abilities check for mortal/daemon).

It is a footslogging model with 6 wounds, go figure.

Maybe in Goretide but I'd rather give ethereal to my Aspiring Deathbringer from Bloodmad Warband. (so, why not if you don't play Bloodmad or really want to play the lord?!)

Mostly the appeal for Bloodforged was that it makes my Wrathmongers feel like Khorne Berzerkers from 40k haha. As for the Skullfiend Tribe, every single army has heroes and you just need to be within 12'' to get re-rolls. You don't even have to be targeting them. Armies like the Undead who always seem to have 4 or more Heroes, and other such armies this would just be massive 12'' bubbles of re-rolling 1's to hit around the table haha. 

1 hour ago, Xasz said:

I think it is still reasonable, even without abuse/loophole.

My only problem is, that such a setup makes no secret about what it does.

Secrets and subtlety isn't exactly what Khorne is known for 😈

Edited by Mikeymajq

1 minute ago, Ravinsild said:

you just need to be within 12'' to get re-rolls.

The logistics of those abilities sound a lot easier here than on the actual battlefield.

.... and you pretty much described my problem with this setup, against SOME armies it doesn't matter, against other you do nothing.

What I find funny about the new book, it seems like going wide/denying a flank is one of the better strategies against it as everything has to huddle together for the majority of abilities/battalions. So in a way, they ingrained how ****** Khorne fights in battletome fluff right into the gameplay.

1 minute ago, Mikeymajq said:

Secrets and subtlety isn't exactly what Khorne is known for 😈

At least not battletome Khorne, which has always been a huge letdown to book/fluff Khorne.

50 minutes ago, ChaosUndivided said:

So if i have say 3 Blood Tithe and need command points i can only buy 1 with my BT then the rest goes to waste?

Also when can i make this choice? Only durring hero phase?

Yes to both unless the new book changes that which I hope so since I waste a lot of bloodtithe points that way.

With the changes to wrathmongers, are they any good mortal answers to high damage monsters? Previous I relied on wrathmongers to suicide themselves so the big targets kill themselves. Now it seems like I will be stuck with trying to drown them in no rend one damage attacks and slaughterpriests. 

2 hours ago, AresX8 said:

Nope! His command ability is useful since it's now all Mortal units wholly within 16", and his Reality-Splitting Axe now works in any phase instead of just the combat phase (ie if you make him fight in the hero phase, it works there too). 

He's best in Goretide, given the Gorecleaver and made your General. This fixes his main issue, damage output. He now does a minimum of 2 damage per hit (Goretide Command Trait is +1 damage to one weapon or all, not 100% sure), at a -2 Rend, but when you roll a 6 to wound... double damage! This means he's doing 2d3 + 1 per hit as per Designer's Commentary. 

I do think Mighty lord is solid now, especially since he can also dispel endless Spells. He’s also cheap(ish), so if he dies it’s not too painful. And he’s still very resilient against non-MWs with that sweet 3+ save. 

That said, if Korghos Khul’s Command ability is meant for the combat phase, I actually really like it. It’s a large bubble of re-roll hits of 1, and methinks that’s gonna be a real kicker. Plus, he lost his ability to pile in twice and attack, but I think his points dropped. However, I love that 8 inch pile in. It gives a LOT of flexibility with positioning, and having had a Space Wolf friend doing 6 inch heroic interventions, I think it’s pretty good. 

28 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

Yes to both unless the new book changes that which I hope so since I waste a lot of bloodtithe points that way.

With the changes to wrathmongers, are they any good mortal answers to high damage monsters? Previous I relied on wrathmongers to suicide themselves so the big targets kill themselves. Now it seems like I will be stuck with trying to drown them in no rend one damage attacks and slaughterpriests. 

@Bululucould u confirm whether we can store blood Tithe? And when we spend BT, how are we able to distribute spending? Can we buy multiple rewards/summon multiple daemon units? Thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, SirPug said:

What do you guys think about he new Skullgrinder? Seems to lack purpose if you ask me. But its not like he was common sight before.

Skullgrinder doesn’t seem like much, but I feel his bravery buff will be needed a lot now that we don’t completely ignore an entire battleshock phase. Plus, he’s got massive natural DPS, meaning we don’t even need to give him an artifact to kill things. He’s also really cheap, so your opponent may not be willing to pour fire into him, when you have your support heroes (Slaughterpriest, Bloodsecrator, stoker, etc.) bearing down on him.

Either way, he combines cheap source of blood Tithe, with great natural damage, a useful buff, and that mortal wounds whack might just knock out a hero(who average 5 wounds, and that’s only if said hero survives the grinder’s initial attack) or drag a monster one level down its damage table, all of which are great outcomes for such a cheap hero

P.S. He loves attack buffs

30 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

Pretty much that, we can neither blast them with priests nor use Wrathmongers anymore and rend is a luxury for mortals...

In my Goretide + Bloodmad drafts, the only thing remotely anti-monster is the mighty lord which is... insufficient.

43 minutes ago, SirPug said:

What do you guys think about he new Skullgrinder? Seems to lack purpose if you ask me. But its not like he was common sight before.

I used to use his previous ability to get hero hunting with my Skulltake Battalion so I could proc the double damage and mortal wounds more often. But now...yeah...I mean he's fine...but... eh. 

2 hours ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

I think wrathmongers still do the trick, but it takes a bit more work than before. If you include skarre and use his command ability on a unit they'll get a full round of attacks before dying and then chip another 5-6 mortal wounds on the way out. No guarantees, but 1-2 units will usually do the job. And if you get a round where you attack over a screen then you should be able to kill most monsters.

Edited by Grimrock

So matt campbells list from cancon which 5 gamed actually just got cheaper and more options. 

Blood stoker

blood secrator

slaughter priest

slaughter priest

blood thirster of incessant ghyr strike

wrath of khorne blood thirster

10 reavers 

10 reavers

5 blood warriors

10 flesh hounds

10 skull reapers

gore pilgrims

now has 80 points leftover

now ghyr strike isnt as good on the blood thirster not making it explode on 4s anymore but still

So i was looking at warscroll for Slaughterbrute cuz i love this huy. Not great at killing big stuff but can tie them up for awhile and is pretty cheap. Unfortunately due to changes in Stokers warscroll you can no longer whip the big guy. This is a sad day for my favorite duo. The Secrator however does still buff h brute nicely.

Skarbrand 

Bloodthirster IR (general) 

slaughterpriest 

skull altar

bloodstoker 

bloodsecrator

2 x 5 wrathmongers

2 x 10 bloodwarriors 

30 x bloodletters 

slaughterhost reapers vengeance 

this may be a fun and devastating list. No gorepilgrims to increase the rage of Khorne from bloodsecrator but the slaughterhost allowing BIR to attack twice. And Skarbrands mortalwound output. Plus your screens of bloodwarriors and bloodletters being buffed by the wrathmongers. And if your bloodthirsters are kept close to the buffs. all for 1960 points. Is this viable without a battalion? 

1 hour ago, SirPug said:

Before he gave a HUGE bonus when the killed a hero.

Now, he doesn't.

But at least he can kill a hero, now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bozly said:

So matt campbells list from cancon which 5 gamed actually just got cheaper and more options. 

Blood stoker

blood secrator

slaughter priest

slaughter priest

blood thirster of incessant ghyr strike

wrath of khorne blood thirster

10 reavers 

10 reavers

5 blood warriors

10 flesh hounds

10 skull reapers

gore pilgrims

now has 80 points leftover

now ghyr strike isnt as good on the blood thirster not making it explode on 4s anymore but still

You could use that 80 points for an exalted deathbringer, get the battleshock immunity back.

On the topic of losing battleshock immunity on the bloodsecrator, I feel like that made reavers a lot worse, those guys cut and run verrry quickly without it.

14 minutes ago, Retro said:

You could use that 80 points for an exalted deathbringer, get the battleshock immunity back.

On the topic of losing battleshock immunity on the bloodsecrator, I feel like that made reavers a lot worse, those guys cut and run verrry quickly without it.

Or you could upgrade the WoK to a skarbrand.

and hey. Blood tithe point.