AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Here is the new thread for discussing Blades of Khorne. With the imminent release of AoS 2 (and a lot of the info already being out there), now is the time for us to start afresh on TGA.

Moving forward, this will be the main thread to chat about and discuss Blades of Khorne in the new edition. I still wholly encourage people to keep their own threads/army blogs within this sub forum and I also think those are a great place to share some photos as I know not everyone frequents the Painting & Modelling section. But this thread is purely for discussion around the faction, things such as (but not limited to) tactics and list building etc. You all know the drill, we've been doing it on this forum since inception!

For newer players, I would say the older thread could still be worth perusal and whilst it is now locked for further replies, you can find it here - http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/6134-lets-chat-blades-of-khorne/

Really excited to see what we can come up with as a community and I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Charles

The problem is unfortunately Khorne have clearly been treated as an after thought and are getting a serious nerf because of it.  I mostly play casual & Narative games but my regular opponent (SCE) thinks we will need to take actions to keep the games fun because he can see he is always going to slaughter me.

It's the way I see it too. For whatever reason GW basically decided that most old Factions needed an additional Allegiance Ability and if we objectively look at what happened to Khorne we actually didn't recieve anything in addition. What occored is that our one Allegiance Ability changed. The biggest 'annoyance' is truely that BT still dissapear when used. This means that while other Allegiance can save up and use all points somewhere at turn 4 (to claim different objectives all over the place) we need to hope that at that point a single MABY Bloodthirster or one other unit is sufficient. Long story short, it's not working in our favour that by using 8 BT we cannot summon 4x 5 Bloodletters, where other armies can with their equivelant of summonning.

The largest annoyance of all that remains (especially now) is the un-altered Mortal Daemon Heroes we have, now currently only listed at Daemons. As before I'll make upanother mail to gw and for all those who want to be informed on the hows and what's feel free to PM. I'll also post a copy here. 

I get the funny Khorne article: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/20/19th-june-the-top-8-skulls-khorne-wishes-he-could-add-to-the-skull-thronegw-homepage-post-4fw-homepage-post-4/ But I feel like in some odd way this is more of a confirmation that Khorne is now specifcally designed so you cannot beat Nagash, Slaanesh, Stormcast, Fyreslayers, Archaon, Morathi or maby even Destruction? ...Uh yeah, thanks for that a lot GW...

Funnier even is that it promotes getting the Core Book, not even a single referance to Blades of Khorne. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Just to throw something into the mix on Khorne going forward.  I spoke to a few of the guys at Warhammer Fest and had a short discussion, I put across my usual points on how Khorne doesn't feel properly anti-magic (he's actually anti-everything if we're honest) and it was heavily hinted at that Khorne would be receiving some love - just not "soon".  Reading between the lines, that says that in the next couple of years we're going to get a new battletome with abilities that will allow us to combat the upcoming swathe of magic.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Just to throw something into the mix on Khorne going forward.  I spoke to a few of the guys at Warhammer Fest and had a short discussion, I put across my usual points on how Khorne doesn't feel properly anti-magic (he's actually anti-everything if we're honest) and it was heavily hinted at that Khorne would be receiving some love - just not "soon".  Reading between the lines, that says that in the next couple of years we're going to get a new battletome with abilities that will allow us to combat the upcoming swathe of magic.

Appreciate you speaking to them, hopefully the more we voice our concerns, the more chance of them making Khorne more relevant again. Sadly I feel that once I have finished painting my 2.5k of Khorne I will shelf them until the battletome or points change are introduced. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas E said:

Appreciate you speaking to them, hopefully the more we voice our concerns, the more chance of them making Khorne more relevant again. Sadly I feel that once I have finished painting my 2.5k of Khorne I will shelf them until the battletome or points change are introduced. 

Completely agree, the more we feed information to them the more likely we're going to get a change!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a random Khorgorath & Blood Stoker release now that we've a new starter set!  Must be honest and say that my Khorne has largely been parked on a shelf since I've sorted out my Death army - one day they'll come back though!

• Like 4

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion
17 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Basically what happened to Death for 12-24 months.

At main events when players actually seen the down drop in army abilities on the table . It when to 10% for the whole grand alliance and then 6 months in dropped to 5-10%.

The only thing that might save khorne on 30/6/18 is Forgeworld release on warscroll and they put the Exalted khorne great daemon points 650 points down a lot and I mean lot.

Skarrac bloodborn at 500 lol

archaon is 660 with the best command ability in the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killax said:

But I feel like in some odd way this is more of a confirmation that Khorne is now specifcally designed so you cannot beat Nagash, Slaanesh, Stormcast, Fyreslayers, Archaon, Morathi or maby even Destruction? ...Uh yeah, thanks for that a lot GW..

Or even another Khorne army going by number 8 on the list! ?

But yeah, it feels like Tzeetch and Slaanesh got a system that counts things they'll be doing anyway (spells and taking/dealing wounds), whilst Khorne gets to choose to use it's allegiance ability or summoning. The equivalent would be Tzeentch having to give up a fate dice for each unit it summoned or Slaanesh having a 4th host to choose from that just gives summoning . Seraphon at least have to choose between spells and generating points for summoning, but still get there board wide unbind so loose less by putting their Slann right back in the corner and can still do the teleporting thing. If Khorne got to start with 8 bloodtithe points I'd be happier! ?

With the sheer amount of endless spells though it seems like it's going to be non optional to start including a wizard like gaunt as a way to dispell them if you miss an unbind and as a way to potentially bring one (like the cogs) yourself. Something like this maybe?

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster

Bloodstoker

Bloodsecrator

Slaughterpriest

Slaughterpriest

Gaunt Summoner (Everchosen ally)

5 Bloodwarriors

10 Bloodreavers

30 Bloodletters

30 Bloodletters

Gore Pilgrims

Chronomatic Cogs

1990/2000

17+3D6 inch charge range (if cogs work) on bloodletters. Take the mortal khorne command ability to reroll charges to units in 8" to your stoker and have him sprint after them. If you roll a 1/2 on the run and think you're not going to make it you can use the extra command point to make it a 6.

Will simulate the murderhost a bit, but with 6 drops you'll probably just get tabled in half of your games by endless spell spam...

Edited by Gilby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Killax said:

Long story short, it's not working in our favour that by using 8 BT we cannot summon 4x 5 Bloodletters, where other armies can with their equivelant of summonning.

So the image that is floating around appears to say:

“If you have 2 or more BT points at the end of your movement phase, you can summon one or more units from the list below onto the battlefield and add them to your army.” (Emphasis mine...) 

It does appear that we can summon 4x5 Bloodletters Units with 8 BT. (Am I missing something?) It would still be nice to be able to stockpile more BT and not have it vanish after being pulled from the BT command table. (That would fix a lot.)

@Killax re: the Heroes... the Mighty Skullcrushers (when they were Skullcrushers Of Khorne) also had the DAEMON keyword and don't have it. (Though it does make getting into range and killing Kroak easier without the keyword.)

Edited by TheOtherJosh
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

So the image that is floating around appears to say:

“If you have 2 or more BT points at the end of your movement phase, you can summon one or more units from the list below onto the battlefield and add them to your army.” (Emphasis mine...) 

Yes, can confirm you can summon as many units as you have points for. It goes on to mention summoning multiple units.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Reading between the lines, that says that in the next couple of years we're going to get a new battletome with abilities that will allow us to combat the upcoming swathe of magic.

The possibility of a battletome iteration is nothing new. The problem is, there is nothing on the horizon for Khorne and even a year for the next GHB is an eternity in the competitive scene. (I do not expect non-SCE battletome revision before 2020 or late 2019)

57 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

It would still be nice to be able to stockpile more BT and not have it vanish after being pulled from the BT command table. (That would fix a lot.)

Yeah, that's the same conclusion I arrived at in the previous thread. It would be so much better and less clunky, it's not even funny

Even though things don’t look great so far for Khorne this edition, I’m going in on an army anyways since my LGS has the old Slaughterstorm box for a great price. 

Do you think buying a Khorne Daemon SC box would supplement a Mortal List well, or should I just go full Mortals and pick up either the Bloodbound SC or the StD SC?

Also, for my fellow Khornate, eBay is having a sale today only until 7pm PT, $15 off of a purchase of $75 or more, so if you need something for your army, today’s a good day to buy it 

Edited by Sieggi858

i am not that pessimistic.

I realy think that Khorne summoning is a thing.

Here is what i suppose

-Khorne alligeances blessings will get the same tratment as Khaine's aka "rule of one" except for the D6 dammage and the "run toward me"

-Each player will still play the usual 10-13 unit armies which means that there is 20-26 BT points to harvest.

-Skaar and Karanak will become almost mandatory in each lists just for beeing opressive recursing or lowrisk-medium reward items

-Playing  bloodmarked can become popular, even at 200 points, still less drops, +1 artefacts and +1 command point.

-Just poping a Bloodthirster/20 Letters still nets you an excess of ~240-300 points compared to the ennemy. That is not nothing. I know a lot of you are frowning at the unbuffed Bloodthirster, but he is still present where he shouldnt be.

-How to get to 7-8 BT points at least twice in a game? Yes, we all saw the trick of the Bloodmarked/Bloodblessing but the Rule Of One Is Coming for sure. yet there is a ton of unseen artifacts that sleeps in the codex that nets you extra BT points. I mostly thinks about the Daemon weapon that needs you to make 8 dammage, quite easy on a Immensely powered Bloodthirster and also the Endless bloodbath weapon that need you to kill at least one model to get a point (Bloodbound weapon)

-The mark of the destroyer still nets you a chaos spawn ?

Also, did you noticed, all of you that have the App/Azyr, that all your khorne heroes have command abilities reworked so all of them doesn't need to be general?

Edited by kozokus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, kozokus said:

i am not that pessimistic

Good man!

'Come on chums, lets not be glum; all this sadness makes me ill, when there's so many foes to kill!

AoS will be so  dull, if we're not out there claiming skulls...'

Blood for the Blood God, crisps for the Throne of Khorne.........oh wait...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kozokus said:

i am not that pessimistic  

Also, did you noticed, all of you that have the App/Azyr, that all your khorne heroes have command abilities reworked so all of them doesn't need to be general?

If you play strictly daemons, then yes it’s sad face time, however, Khorne mortals will be fine. It’s obviously what the push is going to be  as daemons didn’t even get a mention in the faction focus article. It will take a bit for Khorne to come back around, but for now mortals will be where it’s at. 

I’m in Azyr everyday and I didn’t notice anything different. What changed?

Look, being positive is good, but how could prayers getting rule of one'd not make you pessimistic??? The last think Khorne needs is another nerf! If you did want to build a list around generating blood tithe then taking Blood Sacrifice more then once would be crucial. Yes there are a  few artifacts that can generate blood tithe in certain situations but then you are missing out on the damage dealing capabilities of things like the Crimson Crown or Death Dealer which are greatly needed to buff our units or Heroes. Not to mention the Brazen Rune is pretty much mandatory in the new magic heavy meta so thats one artifact slot permanently locked up. And it means we will pretty much never consider the new realm specific artifacts as we are forced to take specific artifacts from our own allegiance just to make our already mediocre allegiance ability functional... thats pretty broken design from Khorne's perspective. 

Its nice that virtually none of our heros need to be the general to use their command abilities, however if taking Skarr & Karanak is mandatory, and you also run a maxed out gore pilgrims with 3 priests and a bloodsecrator, then none of your heroes would have a command ability anyway...

Even without gore pilgrims you will still want a bloodsecrator and at least one slaughter priest for unbinding if nothing else. Including Skarr and Karanac still only leaves you with 2 hero slots for about 10 viable choices. Even then, if you go for a bloodstoker or an allied wizard or Cygor, you still might only end up with one Hero with a command ability. Once per battle we might use an extra command point to ensure an auto run of 6 or to reroll a charge... whoopy do...

As for summoning, if you somehow manage to bank the points without using any of the original blood tithe abilities (good luck not needing spell eater curse in the first few turns), bringing in a bloodthirster is nothing to sneeze at. However its likely to not occur until turn 4 and with the charge likely to fail, the summoned unit has one turn to do something. Considering you wont have any blood tithe to start the game and prior to summoning a bloodthirster you have probably not spent any bloodtithe in turns 2 & 3,  our allegiance ability brings us absolutely zero benefit for 60% of the game. 

I admire you for staying positive but perhaps you haven't fully considered all of the implications the new edition brings? Yes all the tools are there for Khorne to be competitive, however the in built limitations of the game and our allegiance ability mean we can't ever access all of the tools at once and therefore will struggle to compete. 

• Like 3

Maybe because there are no more rules of one and prayers aren’t the same as spells? You want anti magic? Grab a unit of flesh hounds with Karanak for a 30” with a reroll unbound. Summon in the free unit of flesh hounds with Karanak for another unbind. Take a Lord of Khorne with the unbind from the flesh hounds or a slaughter priest. You’ll have at least one anyway. It’s not that bad guys. 

1 hour ago, Agent of Chaos said:

I admire you for staying positive but perhaps you haven't fully considered all of the implications the new edition brings? Yes all the tools are there for Khorne to be competitive, however the in built limitations of the game and our allegiance ability mean we can't ever access all of the tools at once and therefore will struggle to compete. 

Yeah, I did some extensive math/theoryhammering  myself last night and, while I've tried to have faith and be solutions-focused, it doesn't look good at all.

Khorne players have encountered a few frustrating situations over the years where it seems that not a lot of thought has been put into our rules/tables/warscrolls and their interactions and implications. I'm sad to say that, unless there are some major mechanics or warscroll changes we haven't yet seen, Endless Spell unbinding and Blood Tithe Summoning can be added to that list.

I'm still hoping there are further balancing elements that are yet to come... Hope I'm not being naive.

Edited by Roark
  • Like 2

Also didnt realise Karank is not a hero. Thats great for freeing a hero slot but also means nearby flesh hounds dont get an unbind reroll from him (needs to be a daemon hero). And if anyone has faced a magic focused Tzeentch or Death list you would know that basic unbinding is pretty toothless. Nagash has +5 to cast while Tzeentch, apart from any casting buffs, will have more spell casting attempts than you have unbinding attempts (hell they may even have more wizards then you have unbinding attempts), and thats without fate dice ensuring a few autocasts. The spell portal will even enable some wizards to stay out of the 30" unbind range anyway and without a wizard, khorne will not be able to dispell it (or any other endless spells) once its out there. 

Certainly you can build a Khorne list dedicated to shutting down the magic phase but you are probably sacrificing some melee prowess and wont generate much blood tithe. You might get away with that against tzeentch but against Death you will get tabled. Going to be a long wait for a new battletome...