Raw magic unleashed.

I really hope we will be seeing some additional rules as with malign portents, some battleplans for all three modes, and then some matched play lores to choose spells for factions without them, even if it is just for grand alliances. Destruction really need some options.

12 minutes ago, LLV said:

New supplement for AoS. Cross the old warhammer ‘storm of magic’ with the even older warhammer ‘battle magic’ - you won’t go far wrong.

That's what I thought too. But this time with models to represent the spells effects on the battlefield !

I am quite thrilled by it. Magic (as in spellcasting) really needs more bells and whistles in AoS, it really feels quite basic at the moment and just not weird enough.

Also, I think mages  running around without allegiance spells need more to do (wether they are from an allegiance that does not offer spells, part of a GA army or taken as allies).

So, I really hope it is a long term change and enhancement of the current spellcasting system.

To boot, I absolutely adore the Purple Sun mini, I think it draws more of my attention as a Death collector than the supposed Black Coach (which I think it will be more of an evolution of the black coache concept rather than a straight redesign, basically being to the Black Coach what the new Primaris Redemptor Dreadnaught is to the classic Dreadnaught).

I hope it comes with more stuff. I am mostly thinking summonable spell effects, but it also seems like a great ocassion to drop some terrain or maybe splash release some wizards for various factions.

And lets not forget that this one likely opens the next chapter of the Malign Portents narrative, so juicy lore bits seem to be a given.

1 hour ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

I’m really intrigued by the raw magic unleashed video. What do people think this means and what will it bring to aos?

I fear it will mean a return to some of the less enjoyable parts of Warhammer. GW never managed to make a fun and fair magic system in the old days. As close as it got was The End Times, where it was like The Incredibles (when everyone is super, no one will be).

I like AoS magic now. It augments. It does supporting or fun stuff. 

I don't want the Wild West again.

Fingers crossed, this won't be that.

But please not another supplements... so many different books and everywhere some rules - really starting to miss the simplicity from the beginning.

If they add another her „layer“ of rules, I would appreciate one core  rule book or integration in the new GH18.

Somehow I think, it will change magic not in a sense of altering the basic functions as well as the ways spells are cast in the game. Rather it will make magic a bit more "wild" and untamed. From what we know it doesn't sound as if the shown model is a manifested spell as such but rather a manifestation of the fundamental law/wind of death itself. Think more of  the 8 winds rebelling and reacting to Nagash shenanigans, resisting him and at the same time altering due to him. I can see all winds getting models, that represent random events depending on the realm your in as well as results of failed spells.

I hope whatever they add, it's utterly bonkers and a reminder that the balanced, matched play stuff is just lip service, and GW should stick to the crazy stuff :)

(Half kidding, people can and will avoid extra stuff for matched play. I just hope it makes up for the snooze-fest handbook!)

6 hours ago, Johann said:

But please not another supplements... so many different books and everywhere some rules - really starting to miss the simplicity from the beginning.

If they add another her „layer“ of rules, I would appreciate one core  rule book or integration in the new GH18.

Agreed it's getting too complex for matched play. 

That is why big rule books simplify instead of making things more complex, as some people think. Right now we have: core rules + pitch battle rules (you need newest GHB) + very similar special rules on warscrolls + Terrain and battleplan rules on several supplements + supplement rules such as MP. It is very hard to manage. I’d rather have: simple core rules (with some more explanations); advanced rules that include pitch battle army making and some special rules (recurring special rules on WS in order to simplify them + magic rules) in a book. 

15 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I fear it will mean a return to some of the less enjoyable parts of Warhammer. GW never managed to make a fun and fair magic system in the old days. As close as it got was The End Times, where it was like The Incredibles (when everyone is super, no one will be).

I like AoS magic now. It augments. It does supporting or fun stuff. 

I don't want the Wild West again.

Fingers crossed, this won't be that.

I'm so afraid of this. I don't want to see my 40 man unit that i painted for hours being one-shotted by the first wizard who come across.

I know its almost certainly new spell lores but how much more fun would it be if this was a new destruction army, the untamed forces of magic, we already have the forge-world incarnate immortals of fire and beasts (although they are OOP) and malign portents mentions bright wizards using djinn and elementals. I think a force that was actual raw magic rebelling against the realms would be an awesome addition to the destruction GA.

I reckon a Storm of magic campaign following on from malign portents - storm of magic wheel teased at the end of the video, lots of terrain I would imagine given the current Resurrection of old terrain and also hopefully some old favourites returning in  the form of summoned monsters like we had with scrolls of binding (but executed with the old Monstrous arcanum matrix). :)

On 3/25/2018 at 1:27 PM, Soulsmith said:

I really hope we will be seeing some additional rules as with malign portents, some battleplans for all three modes, and then some matched play lores to choose spells for factions without them, even if it is just for grand alliances. Destruction really need some options.

This so much.

Archived