The End of Free Warscrolls

HollowHills

Honestly this is an issue that I too am surprised to see that so many people care about so deeply.  Obviously if it matters to you, then it matters to you and I won't judge that, but I honestly can't remember the last time I actually used the free warscroll feature to really look up rules.  Once I found out about the app I pretty much just used that. 

I do absolutely agree that the warscrolls in the app should be accessible w/o a subscription for ease of entry, but whenever I look at how to build new armies I pretty much already just use wahapedia anyway, so I don't really care.  I don't see a world where this change affects me at all, though it makes me feel a little bad for new players I guess.  The newer players that I interact with are also unaffected by this as they already bought their warscroll packs (I've yet to meet anyone new that doesn't immediately fall in love with physical warscrolls, especially when they come from 40k).

I guess my take is that this is a silly change for GW to make (though again makes sense IF they had them free on the app always because then they don't have to update and maintain a separate list of pdfs on their site), but I also imagine that the times when I and those I play with will be affected by this change are going to be few and far between.  Because of that, it does seem like this is getting blown slightly out of proportion.

• Like 5

I don't think (hardly) anyone would care if they shifted the free warscrolls from the store to the app. But they have been very careful not to state that is what they are doing, even refusing point-blank in a direct FAQ answer to state what is going to be free and what isn't. It's hard to think there isn't an agenda behind that. Is GW maybe just being totally incompetent in its communication? I mean, maybe, I guess. Anything's possible when it comes to GW's ability to communicate badly with the fan base. But I certainly wouldn't bank on it.

If nothing else, it harms nothing to submit feedback now making clear that people care about warscrolls remaining free. If they want to have them free on the app (i.e. no subscription required) as opposed to on the website, that's fine by me. What's important is that they remain free and not locked behind a paywall. 

Edited by yukishiro1

My only problem with this is they "took off the bandage too fast". I was expecting them to at least wait until all the battletomes came out to invalidate the old warscrolls.

That said, very sad about this decision but I was bracing myself for it since this year began and I wondered what's the most controversial changes a new edition could bring. But with AoS' constantly growing success it makes sense they'd take the training wheels off eventually now that it can stand on it's own legs just under 40k. God-king knows the yearly focus more and more on Matched Play showed them who was really turning AoS into a pillar for the company. (Good ol' competitive blood)

A pity everything's in 40k's corner right now or they could've soften the blow with more free stuff like Warcry/Underworlds scenarios, battleplans and even more stories.

We'll adjust. Looking forward to my battletome and cards. :) (Really helps i'm all about physical stuff despite my narrative drive)

13 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I believe so, but the warscrolls will look like this and will not have abilities on them:

https://tgacommunity.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/monthly_2021_09/240732498_266375455114920_7240216961871650356_n.png.be0f8d0b9ff4a6b3f2721ac32d09ec81.png

Honestly not the worst thing(though indeed a downgrade) with the meaty free Core Rules.  Tutorial data cards for quick intro battles with the main rules giving your heroes, terrain and unit command/core battalion boosts would be great for newbies.

After that It's an eventual buy into a tome or the app which W+ is making more and more a value deal as the weeks go by and they keep adding to it.(just wish they'd dropped more AoS stuff already for it. xD)

19 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

Is GW maybe just being totally incompetent in its communication? I mean, maybe, I guess. Anything's possible when it comes to GW's ability to communicate badly with the fan base. But I certainly wouldn't bank on it.

I myself am probably putting my bank on this. As much as I love warhammer I swear to god sometimes I dont know how GW still operates. but in the end I always felt that they're the physical manifestation of the Hanlon's razor (Never attribute to malice that wich can be adequately by stupidity). I really feel like theres no big scheme or this is how theyre going to kill AoS. Just another really dumb decision by GW. Best thing we can do rn is submit our complains to them so they know this is something that players dont want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

I don't think (hardly) anyone would care if they shifted the free warscrolls from the store to the app. But they have been very careful not to state that is what they are doing, even refusing point-blank in a direct FAQ answer to state what is going to be free and what isn't. It's hard to think there isn't an agenda behind that. Is GW maybe just being totally incompetent in its communication? I mean, maybe, I guess. Anything's possible when it comes to GW's ability to communicate badly with the fan base. But I certainly wouldn't bank on it.

If nothing else, it harms nothing to submit feedback now making clear that people care about warscrolls remaining free. If they want to have them free on the app (i.e. no subscription required) as opposed to on the website, that's fine by me. What's important is that they remain free and not locked behind a paywall. 

One nice thing about having the pdf, is that they can be printed off for games without having to pick up a phone. 

I think it's a retrograde step on GWs part, with the likes of Conquest, Kings of War and Infinity providing starter if not complete rules along with complete army builders. It makes it easier to dip a toe in, and more likely to buy into the associated miniature lines.

I can't figure out a good reason for making a game harder to try out for new people, other than funnelling people into the app. 

What I would like to see is the core rules available in both the GW and community websites without needing the app. I would then create a new PDF for each faction containing all the faction Warscrolls maybe with a sample of Battletome rules, to get a good feel for how a faction plays. Call it Foundation: Stormcast Eternals or whatever.

Artifacts, traits, sub-faction rules, etc could still remain paid content.

Hopefully it'll be reversed, I think it's a misstep given that there is more competition for mass battle fantasy games now than even 5 years ago.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, nuttyknatty said:

Apologies to all, but I just can’t understand how something like this gets people so heated.

I can understand why it’s disappointing but really, the level of hyperbole is eyebrow raising.  I think the word here is perspective. 
We have to spend some money to access some work that someone has produced. The fact that for the last six years we’ve not had to pay for it shouldn’t be a source of negativity. On the contrary, we should be appreciative that we had it for free for so long.

Fair enough if you’ve got a political argument against capitalism, but I’d wager that the majority of GW’s customers aren’t either communists or anarchists, so trying to argue that stuff should be free glaringly looks like entitlement.

But I may well be wrong.🤷🏼‍♂️

They don't include the warscrolls in the boxes.

Abilities are important to know what your enemy can do.

Will you be lugging around every battletome to games?

A single battletome is more expensive than whole systems from better companies.

Looking at warscrolls helps me give advice on this forum.

Looking at warscrolls lets me decide before I buy allies.

Wargaming is about the whole ecosystem. This means rules, models (for non agnostic systems) and places to play. GW is already good at only two of those (places to play and models, rules are overpriced and bad). If they devalue their offering of rules even more, just agree on a system that's better at rules and doesn't care about models.

I was already on my way out because I didn't like the rules, but this means it's safe to shut the door completely.

• Like 13

I'm with zilberfrid here, alas I would called it less drastic in the "better companies" part (different companies fits better).

Me in person don't like the new rules either, but I liked the free warscrolls to some degree (mainly for the first two editions of AoS). The world is not falling if they are went off, but it was the last reason for me to visit the GW-Webstore and to expend my collections with allies. That said I'm glad that I can now say, that I have several finished armies, which I can also use for different games. 

My point here is: The Miniatures and gaming materials are expensive enough, why not give the people the Scrolls for free? Not the full army rules, sure not, but the scrolls? Seems that the introduction time is over for AoS and I'm with it.

I'm also aware that I'm not the target group for GW, so I'm not a big to their bottom line. 🙂

Still it's sad that the people are forced to use the App.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MarkK said:

Artifacts, traits, sub-faction rules, etc could still remain paid content.

I agree with your post and like your idea for faction specific PDFs. I just don't understand why in a miniatures game that is pushed as being competitive knowing any of the rules should be paid content. You have to buy the models if you want to use those rules and play the game anyway.

Imagine if when you bought a pack of MTG cards you then needed an app to see what the mana cost, attack and defense scores are. Then needed to have your trusty Wizardtome Black/Blue/etc book to decode the card's special abilities. And don't forget to cross reference your Wizardtome with the latest FAQ!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Slightly off topic but...

I have been looking in on and occasionally posting on TGA for a while now and it seems a friendly knowledgeable place. Was wondering if there are any forums where y'all hang out to talk fantasy and wargamming that isn't specifically just Warhammer? This is in no way a dis of TGA and I won't be gone, but I'd love to also have TGA quality chat about wider fantasy stuff.

• Like 2

Removing the warscrolls has been a good way to put a full stop on any of my future purchases. I have enough of a backlog that the only thing GW could release at this point that I would want to spend money on is a giant screamer behemoth of some variety. Ever since killing off Azyr, I've found myself pulling away to more agnostic style games anyhow. The only benefit that I can see for digitizing the warscrolls would be that they can be actively updated. But even then it doesn't matter unless they aren't hidden behind a paywall. 

• Like 4

I really encourage anyone who feels strongly about losing free warscrolls to submit feedback if they haven't already. You can do it any one of three places - either the survey about the app, the AOSFAQ email, or the GW complaint page.

App survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3DSRJ8N?utm_source=WarhammerCommunity&utm_medium=Post&utm_campaign=TryOutWarhammerAgeofSigmarTheAppandtheStormForgeArmyList-buildingToolRightNowforFree15092021&utm_content=TryOutWarhammerAgeofSigmarTheAppandtheStormForgeArmyList-buildingToolRightNowforFree15092021

AOS email:
AoSFAQ@gwplc.com

GW complaints page: 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Complaint-Portal

It probably doesn't hurt to do it in all three places, for that matter. It's a long shot in any case I think, but the more feedback they get, the more likely the miniscule chance of them doing a u-turn on this increases, even if it's only from "very, very low" to "very low." 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, EntMan said:

Slightly off topic but...

I have been looking in on and occasionally posting on TGA for a while now and it seems a friendly knowledgeable place. Was wondering if there are any forums where y'all hang out to talk fantasy and wargamming that isn't specifically just Warhammer? This is in no way a dis of TGA and I won't be gone, but I'd love to also have TGA quality chat about wider fantasy stuff.

I believe there are technically non-GW boards here that you can use?

Not something I ever tested but the idea of just using warscrolls really appealed to me for a really lite wargame.

Most of the rules that makes AOS more interesting than that are the stuff in the BT's, but they're also the same stuff that makes it at times unwieldy, bloated and gimmicky. 

Making an army that was literally just the sum of its parts- spearman do this, archets do this, wizard does this etc- without any further rules gubbins would have been quite enjoyable I think

Ah well 

• Like 4

On 9/21/2021 at 1:45 AM, willange said:

Honestly this is an issue that I too am surprised to see that so many people care about so deeply.  Obviously if it matters to you, then it matters to you and I won't judge that, but I honestly can't remember the last time I actually used the free warscroll feature to really look up rules.  Once I found out about the app I pretty much just used that. 

I do absolutely agree that the warscrolls in the app should be accessible w/o a subscription for ease of entry, but whenever I look at how to build new armies I pretty much already just use wahapedia anyway, so I don't really care.  I don't see a world where this change affects me at all, though it makes me feel a little bad for new players I guess.  The newer players that I interact with are also unaffected by this as they already bought their warscroll packs (I've yet to meet anyone new that doesn't immediately fall in love with physical warscrolls, especially when they come from 40k).

I guess my take is that this is a silly change for GW to make (though again makes sense IF they had them free on the app always because then they don't have to update and maintain a separate list of pdfs on their site), but I also imagine that the times when I and those I play with will be affected by this change are going to be few and far between.  Because of that, it does seem like this is getting blown slightly out of proportion.

See, I think "hardcore hobbyists" are not going to have an issue - either they have money to spare or use Wahapedia/1d4chan (and as previously discussed, rules summaries are not piracy as there's no copyright on rules). I have used the latter extensively when researching armies I'm interested in before using the old Azyr app for actual games.

But what I'm worried about is that all these barriers for accessible gaming deters new players from entering this hobby. I obviously don't have statistics but I doubt majority of new Warhammer fans (regardless of setting) are well-off 30yos but instead belong to a younger crowd. Yes, the world has changed since "my day" so maybe modern youth are naturally adept to find reputable (and less reputable!) third party avenues for rules - as with the cost of entry rising, I don't know how they can physically afford to not do that. To me, this isn't just about rules but the bigger picture of this hobby turning more and more "elite" - and GW had a "brand tax" on plastic even when I started out!

Biggest fear for me is this hobby stagnating - every community needs diversity. And GW's practices are turning a lot of people off - maybe it isn't visible now, but I doubt GW wants to be in 10-20 years mainly played by middle-aged wargamers, rather than a pretty even distribution of various ages and economic background (i.e, consumed by MORE people).

Edited by Public Universal Duardin
Edited for clarity
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Biggest fear for me is this hobby stagnating - every community needs diversity. And GW's practices are turning a lot of people off - maybe it isn't visible now, but I doubt GW wants to be in 10-20 years mainly played by middle-aged wargamers, rather than a pretty even distribution of various ages and economic background (i.e, consumed by MORE people).

Can you expand on this as I’m not sure I understand what you mean? I personally think things are very diverse and outside of GW stepping back five years in how they communicate things, I think the hobby is in a good spot. There’s lots of tools easily available now to people and it’s easier to share how to do things (I remember the time before the internet!). 

However, if you mean it’s expensive, that is another debate that’s been going on for years and GW seem to know what they are doing as they are still going. For the record, I would love things to be cheaper but it’s a hobby and I’ve grown past the I need all the models right now stage of my life and happy to take things a bit slower. 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 10:23 AM, Orbei said:

I agree with your post and like your idea for faction specific PDFs. I just don't understand why in a miniatures game that is pushed as being competitive knowing any of the rules should be paid content. You have to buy the models if you want to use those rules and play the game anyway.

Imagine if when you bought a pack of MTG cards you then needed an app to see what the mana cost, attack and defense scores are. Then needed to have your trusty Wizardtome Black/Blue/etc book to decode the card's special abilities. And don't forget to cross reference your Wizardtome with the latest FAQ!

To be fair to GW, * they * don't push it as competitive. Not at all. 

Competitive minded players want GW to see their games equivalent to MTG etc, but GW manifestly don't. Their investment on a competitive game infrastructure and development compared to their investment in lore and models is utterly miniscule.

And they're just getting richer by the day, so clearly that approach is working just now 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Can you expand on this as I’m not sure I understand what you mean? I personally think things are very diverse and outside of GW stepping back five years in how they communicate things, I think the hobby is in a good spot. There’s lots of tools easily available now to people and it’s easier to share how to do things (I remember the time before the internet!). 

However, if you mean it’s expensive, that is another debate that’s been going on for years and GW seem to know what they are doing as they are still going. For the record, I would love things to be cheaper but it’s a hobby and I’ve grown past the I need all the models right now stage of my life and happy to take things a bit slower. 

I agree with this. Since i started with WHFB things have become way more beginner friendly. We need less models to get an army together. We have better and more diverse paints. We have smaller systems like warcry and underworlds. Youtube/this forum are still teaching me new stuff about painting and motivates me to try new things. Imo now is a great time to get into this hobby. And to be honest many hobbies are expensive if u want to do it properly or compete in some form. Still having no free warscolls sucks :P.

Edit: Oh and every army getting released looks better than the one before it. Would be a nightmare to pick one to start with haha.

Edited by Iksdee
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Sure! Although I have to immediately say that painting guides and lore videos by GW have moved behind WH+ - which isn't an issue...as long as there's alternatives by third parties. Again not an issue to /us/, the "hardcore hobbyist" but as per my original post I'm trying to look from the perspective of someone who's just starting the hobby - maybe they saw a GW store, liked a Warhammer videogame or a friend tries to get them in the hobby...you know, someone we all were at one time. Is your first stop going to be Duncan Rhodes and Wahapedia or Games Workshop itself?

And that leads to my point: Games Workshop isn't making this hobby accessible. Yes, /you/ might not need new miniatures. /I/ might not need new miniatures. /We/ might afford new miniatures we wanted to buy, and if we don't it, won't matter as we got enough greys to last a long, long time. I know it's heresy to question GW as this forum has close ties with our corporate overlord, but if I who start pushing 30 (oof owie) feel things are being too steep, how is little Billy going to afford this? I'm sure I'll be in this hobby in 10 years, even in 20 years - I've already been close to 20! And I know young!P.U.D would not have been able to afford this hobby as it is today.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm worried this all leads - as I mentioned earlier - to this hobby become "elite". Where only in time, the community is aging and distinctly from a particular age group and economic background (which increases the risk of the hobbyists being less diverse in general - but that's a bit too "political" take to say here).

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Sure! Although I have to immediately say that painting guides and lore videos by GW have moved behind WH+ - which isn't an issue...as long as there's alternatives by third parties. Again not an issue to /us/, the "hardcore hobbyist" but as per my original post I'm trying to look from the perspective of someone who's just starting the hobby - maybe they saw a GW store, liked a Warhammer videogame or a friend tries to get them in the hobby...you know, someone we all were at one time. Is your first stop going to be Duncan Rhodes and Wahapedia or Games Workshop itself?

And that leads to my point: Games Workshop isn't making this hobby accessible. Yes, /you/ might not need new miniatures. /I/ might not need new miniatures. /We/ might afford new miniatures we wanted to buy, and if we don't it, won't matter as we got enough greys to last a long, long time. I know it's heresy to question GW as this forum has close ties with our corporate overlord, but if I who start pushing 30 (oof owie) feel things are being too steep, how is little Billy going to afford this? I'm sure I'll be in this hobby in 10 years, even in 20 years - I've already been close to 20! And I know young!P.U.D would not have been able to afford this hobby as it is today.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm worried this all leads - as I mentioned earlier - to this hobby become "elite". Where only in time, the community is aging and distinctly from a particular age group and economic background (which increases the risk of the hobbyists being less diverse in general - but that's a bit too "political" take to say here).

but the main discussion here on hobby accessibility is missing the free warscrolls. And by reading this thread, the main concern is from people who like playing to a certain competitive degree and want to check the rules before deciding wich army to start or check rivals rules so they can tweak/grow their army. 

In that case even having complete warscrolls in the boxes wouldn't matter. They want to know the rules before making the purchase, not after.

I don't think most beginners (old or young) are going to check all the rules before deciding the army. They are going to go to a gw or a local store and ask for advice, on lore, looks, playstyle... 

4 minutes ago, Gotz said:

I don't think most beginners (old or young) are going to check all the rules before deciding the army. They are going to go to a gw or a local store and ask for advice, on lore, looks, playstyle...

Purely anecdotal, but the free and continued availability of all (updated) rules for competing games (ASOIAF in particular) has been a huge draw for new players in my club. So, probably they are not going to check the rules before purchasing stuff, but when they hear that they 100% need a battletome or a subscription ( 😮 ) just to be able to USE the miniatures they are buying -IF warscrolls become paywalled, ofc- these beginners are going to think twice about committing to such a system. Unfortunately for me, since I am now one the very few remaining AoS players at my club

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Purely anecdotal, but the free and continued availability of all (updated) rules for competing games (ASOIAF in particular) has been a huge draw for new players in my club. So, probably they are not going to check the rules before purchasing stuff, but when they hear that they 100% need a battletome or a subscription ( 😮 ) just to be able to USE the miniatures they are buying -IF warscrolls become paywalled, ofc- these beginners are going to think twice about committing to such a system. Unfortunately for me, since I am now one the very few remaining AoS players at my club

yeah, but you always have needed to have the army book to play warhammer since 4th edition. As has previously said in the thread, free warscrolls lets you have a peek to get an idea of how an army works or play some casual games with the random minis you own (since the core rules are still free)

but you always needed the army books with full rules to play competively or as intended. 

we can discuss if rules (core and army/unit) should be free as a hook for getting newer players. But I think it doesn't make much difference using the random minis you own without the book but with full warscrolls thant without the book and the capped warscrolls that are currently in the mini boxes.

27 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

I'm already a few years into AoS, but a big part of why I play any game is "how easy will it be to grow the community?" Not every area will have a pre-existing gaming community, but if I can get my friends playing, then I'm guaranteed to have opponents that I know I'm going to enjoy hanging out with.

And a big draw for those folks - as it was for me when I started AoS in summer 2019 - is the free and easily-accessible Warscrolls. Having official support for that sort of thing goes so far for getting newer players on-board. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

So, probably they are not going to check the rules before purchasing stuff, but when they hear that they 100% need a battletome or a subscription ( 😮 ) just to be able to USE the miniatures they are buying -IF warscrolls become paywalled, ofc- these beginners are going to think twice about committing to such a system.

Just to throw this out there but when you first started, did you? I’ve been playing GW games since second edition 40K and it never bothered me. You get a book explaining how the army works on the table, lots of cool pictures and all the background about it. I think as players get older and have seen a few editions, they look at the background differently because they know it and it doesn’t change much.

My only concern about the removal of the free warscrolls is it makes the journey for new players different. But having thought about this for a week now, the barebones how to play will be with the models and you will most likely get the books as well. 

1 hour ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

If I'm honest, I think the hobby has always been expensive*.  I cast my mind back to when I started and I think my first purchase set me back £15 for a box of Space Wolves Terminators (the metal ones - we're talking around the time you were born) with £10 worth of paint.  That was a monumental amount of money for me at the time.

What I think is different now is that we're bombarded with "net lists", "must haves" and limited edition releases.  If a new hobbyist asks "what do I need to start" many answers will include the generals handbook, rulebook, battletomes, thirty different paints, play mats, custom dice and all sorts.  When I started I literally had White Dwarf and my imagination 🤣  I used free rulesets in WD to play with my mates and made stuff up - I'd been in the hobby probably a couple of years before I actually got a copy of the 40k rules, but had been playing with my models for ages.

Coming full circle, I do think it's important that we're all aware of accessibility to the hobby for new (and old) hobbyists.  GW will always produce curve balls like removing downloadable warscrolls, but on the other hand we as the "old hands" need to make sure the advice we're giving out doesn't switch new hobbyists off.  Let's make sure we continue to give out good advice and focus on the positive parts of the hobby.

* though it's far from the most expensive!

• Thanks 3