Here be Dragons! A Discussion Thread about Dragons in the Mortal Realms.

7 hours ago, Zappgrot said:

Lets see. I  really don't have manny dragons either. They tent to look down on destruction armies i gues. I did have a few in fanatsy tough but they kind of fell appart by bad storage. ( i was pretty stupid as a teen ager.  I do have 2 mawcrushers tough.  Sort of dragons if you ask me.  For the future i kinda wanna get a stardrake and i am hopeing the kruelboys get soem sort of wyvren whit their range 

MawCrushers definitely count as dragons in my book. I'm not really an Ironjawz fan for whatever reason I can't handle bare foot armies but that kit is amazing.

• Like 1

I would like to see more dragons in AoS. Most of the "dragons" that are still out there are old Fantasy kits that got carried over. New plastic made for AOS dragons are the Magmadroths, Stardrakes, and Mawkrushas. I think all the rest (elven dragons, zombie dragons, chaos dragons, forgeworld dragons), date back to Pre AoS times. I hope these new seraphon hatched Dragons are low enough points that they can be brought in as allies to all the Order armies. Be a damn shame if only Stormcast can use them. And if Stormcast gets new dragons....WELL that means DEATH can lich-i-fy them into new Zombie dragons. Hail Nagash! and bring on the new Death Sculpts. Im sure Chaos can corrupt a couple and destruction can tame/enslave others, so all 4 branches of AOS can have a dragon of their own. 

• Like 2

If I could make an army entirely out of dragons, I would.  Speaking of which, I was VERY disappointed when they cancelled the Ordo Draconis range, as the Lord/Archmage on dragon look a TON better than the nonsense that is the black dragon.

All this being said, the current GW dragon range is pathetic.  You have the derpy as all get out Black dragon, and the Stardrake, and that is it for the entirety of Order.  Moving on to Chaos, you have... Archaeon's Mount, and that is it?  Destruction gets the Mawcrusha.  And finally death gets the Zombie dragon... and that is it.  5 different dragons between the entirety of the 24 different factions.

What should there actually be though?

Destruction totally needs to get Wyverns back.  They also totally need some "Great Beasts" that get corralled and pushed into battle by the forces of destruction.

As for death, the fact that there isn't a nighthaunt "Ghost Dragon" is a tragedy that really needs to get remedied.  Ossiarch Bonereapers have been collecting bones for a long time, and totally should have been collecting the bones of great beasts from Ghur as well, and a Bone Dragon is something that they could totally be doing.

For Chaos, they used to have Chaos Dragons and frost wyverns and stuff.  What the heck happened to those?  Especially for Slaves to Darkness - they are already suffering from not having any good monsters (outside of Archaeon), and giving them a good chaos dragon would be great.

Finally, Order.  WHERE ARE THE DRAGONS?!?  There used to be tons of dragons between the dark elves, the wood elves, and the high elves, and now there is 1.  Fyreslayers totally need some upgraded magmadroths - magma dragons anyone?  I think there used to be a forgeworld one of those.  Why are treelords the only big monsters for the Sylvaneth - give us a dragon of wood and vines!  Lumineth Realm Lords also totally need some dragons as well.  And stormcast need more than just a stardrake.  Especially with out big dragons are in Lore, their lack of representation on the tabletop is criminal.

• Like 5

Have Carmine Dragon (forgeworld) and using it as Dreadlord / Sorceress on Dragon. GW's "Dragons" are anorexic snakes ;)

There's hope for them with Malerion. He's half dragon now. And his army could be dragon-like themed (just steal Dragonborn/Dragons from D&D). Wrap it into a bit shadowy style.
And go. :)

image.png

image.png.6a9681dc879abe57ddef740efb9f14dd.png

Edited by Sapca
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sapca said:

Have Carmine Dragon (forgeworld) and using it as Dreadlord / Sorceress on Dragon. GW's "Dragons" are anorexic snakes ;)

There's hope for them with Malerion. He's half dragon now. And his army could be dragon-like themed (just steal Dragonborn/Dragons from D&D). Wrap it into a bit shadowy style.

image.png

I wouldn't call the Mawcrusha or Stardrake anorexic serpents, more clunky & chunky looking, and either really clumsy (stardrake) or stumpy (cabbage).

I vastly prefer the anorexic serpents over those. Carmine dragon could be the best dragon of GW I have ever seen (Smaug isn't a GW design, but he's also up there).

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Confused 1

Maybe it's just me, but...it would be incredibly lame if Dragons became so common and basically every faction had one. 

I always liked the old GW slender dragon design. They were an interesting mix between what I envisioned a Germanic Lindwurm to look like, as well as Asian and Western dragons. I'd say the Forest Dragon was my favourite.

And I sincerely hope that Lumineth stick to their Aelementiri and don't get dragons. They are similar enough to the High Elves of old as is.

And I also hope that Skaven don't get anything ever again, but that might also be just me. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Sapca said:

image.png

Mierce has a line of Dragonborne style monstrous infantry, but seeing GW's take in modern plastic would be interesting

• 2 weeks later...

After a long wait they have been revealed. Some division on the pose and especially Krondys smile. Personally I am a fan as I like smug Dragons who grin as they burn down entire armies although I am not overly fond of the accoutrements. As such I feel like I will lean towards Karazai for my build which is a shame as I assume it will be the preferred option making my dragon less special.

1K4vXOyImqHIfdJ6.jpg
LNAyvBkjhNgWvLFi.jpg

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/26/dragons-are-back-and-theyre-going-to-change-the-mortal-realms-forever/

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

On 7/14/2021 at 11:09 AM, Jymmy said:

An unpopular opinion: I like the fact that there are no dragons in the Mortal Realms, as it makes them more unique (dragons are an staple in almost all fantasy settings). In fact, most of the Order Serpentis lore works around the idea that the dragons are almost extinct. This way they seem something rare and special.

That is btw the point that explains quite well why thoose are both named and not generic characters. 

Edit: It's quite sure a conicidence that they removed the Khorne Dragon which was also called "the Scarred" from FW last week. But this opens up for conversions 

Edited by Charleston

For me the aesthetic of the dragons don't quite do it, I prefer a more grimdark / menacing look to a dragon, the above look quite whimsical. That said I can't wait to see what the community does with these models, I can already see some absolutely mad conversions coming out of these kits. They will also make some fantastic centre piece models for the armies they slot in to. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rors said:

I'd be interested to see how a range of draconic people are made district from Sepharon if it's a faction and not two hero monsters that can go in any Order list.

I don't think there's anything to suggest they'll be their own faction or available across all of Order, is there? From everything they've said, these dragons are only available to Stormcast.

50 minutes ago, Kadeton said:

I don't think there's anything to suggest they'll be their own faction or available across all of Order, is there? From everything they've said, these dragons are only available to Stormcast.

I think folks are interpreting the stuff about Karazai "[f]inding himself without an invite to Sigmar’s party", the emphasis on him living in Ghur and the lack of as much obvious Stormcast armour as hinting at the possibility that he might be an option for other Order forces.

There's also GW's tendency to make at least some of these massive kits (Archaon, Nagash, Kragnos) pan-GA options. Not all of them of course but when you have minis that seem to be designed with broad 'generic dragon' appeal, it seems plausible.

Edited by sandlemad

24 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I think folks are interpreting the stuff about Karazai "[f]inding himself without an invite to Sigmar’s party", the emphasis on him living in Ghur and the lack of as much obvious Stormcast armour as hinting at the possibility that he might be an option for other Order forces.

There's also GW's tendency to make at least some of these massive kits (Archaon, Nagash, Kragnos) pan-GA options. Not all of them of course but when you have minis that seem to be designed with broad 'generic dragon' appeal, it seems plausible.

Fair enough - I mean, here's hoping! But from the Broken Realms story they were featured in (where a skink asked if the draconith would fight alongside the Seraphon and was told "No, these are for the Stormcast") to the article itself:

We can’t wait to share more about these awesome new characters, and to see what they can do when they join the Stormcast Eternals in battle! Check back with Warhammer Community in future as we take a closer look at the Draconith princes and their place in the upcoming Stormcast Eternals battletome.

... I wouldn't be counting on it.

8 hours ago, Kadeton said:

Fair enough - I mean, here's hoping! But from the Broken Realms story they were featured in (where a skink asked if the draconith would fight alongside the Seraphon and was told "No, these are for the Stormcast") to the article itself:

... I wouldn't be counting on it.

Even if they are in the Stormcast book, its not like we haven't seen units gain rules that let them be used in other factions without breaking faction coherency - the Lumineth Zenith Twins can be taken in any Order army, and I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of the Draconith don't get a similar rule.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:00 PM, Neverchosen said:

I like smug Dragons who grin as they burn down entire armies

Free Cities General "Our brave men died in blaze of glory, we fight on!" (uses CP to Inspire Presence)

Dark Elf General "They died in a blaze all right" (stabs the guy who doesn't laugh, rest fall in line).

Dragon /lol

• Haha 3

Very excited.  I'm always confused people attack more options and new ways to explore playing a game.  If they don't get them right this edition, we know it's only 2 years for a campaign book and 3 years for a new edition.  About the length of time for people to maybe consider they should start thinking about painting the dragon they own 😉

On 7/27/2021 at 11:15 AM, SunStorm said:

It will be interesting to see if we get some stories where the Draconith princes interact with Mawkrushas, how do they react to them? Feel sorry for them, see them as unrelated, beneath them?

Probably in a manner similar to the way we react when we see a chimpanzee or a baboon honestly. 

• Like 1

As a business model GW would be fools to lock these models to only stormcast.

I suspect they'll be like Gotrek. Fluff wise they can have more connections with stormcast just like Gotrek has more connections to Dwarden.

2 hours ago, Rors said:

As a business model GW would be fools to lock these models to only stormcast.

They're fools that they lock dragons to Order in the first place. You get giants for every army but not dragons? I'm sure that most people prefer dragons over giants. Not that I care much for those two models but reception would've been better if they weren't aligned with SC.