Soulblight Gravelords replacing LoN book?

I was told by a friend "WARCOM confirmed that the LON book is being retired and SGL taking its place. They said something like: “Everything that’s in LON and not any other army will be included”

Seems so but seems wild there hasn't been a official statement anywhere. 

LoN was still available to buy as a digital book, up to the pre-order of the new book. But otherwise its been replaced with this new book. Most of the book had leaked which had the warscrolls in which showed what is still in there. You can probably still see the leaked stuff, but obviously I won't post/link it anywhere here.

I dont' recall seeing an official statement from GW that LoN was being replaced, but I think it was just expected as it is the trend with battletomes.

You cant use older versions of war scrolls unless you are house ruling stuff. They changed keywords and many units don't interact with other units now unless they have the soulblight gravelords keyword. Unless you are doing a casual game with friends i think its safe to say its gone.

You can probably still come up with a decent mixed death army if you wanted ghosts with vampires/skeletons etc.

For the record I don't own LoN, I was just confused at the situation given no formal statement from GW saying "This is intention/this is happening with this book etc". Appreciate the clarity from you all. So if someone is asking the reason is the intention is that SBGY are placing LoN, and any warscroll that was in LoN is now in SBGY (not all of them) and you need to use the most update warscrolls, found in SBGY.

Cheers guys!

6 hours ago, AaronWilson said:

For the record I don't own LoN, I was just confused at the situation given no formal statement from GW saying "This is intention/this is happening with this book etc". Appreciate the clarity from you all. So if someone is asking the reason is the intention is that SBGY are placing LoN, and any warscroll that was in LoN is now in SBGY (not all of them) and you need to use the most update warscrolls, found in SBGY.

Cheers guys!

GW usually doesn't bring up when a faction is discontinued or replaced by another. Usually they just quietly retire it or phase it out with something new. Factions such as Khorne Daemonkin in 7th edition 40k disappearing without fanfare isn't uncommon.

I think LoN was just a stopgap so all these GA:death models had a shared book and be playable, and now every part of LoN has been expanded into a full faction there is no reason for it to still be around.

12 hours ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Officially there isn't any mention of Gravelords replacing LoN.

Unofficially, LoN isn't available, the majority of its units have been updated in Gravelords, and Gravelords have taken 2 subfactions (Legion of Night/Blood). Which heavily implies that LoN is just gone.

Oh there is if you count their official community facebook account as one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Feii said:

Oh there is if you count their official community facebook account as one.

I did miss that. Fair enough confirmation that its gone.

I expect the full confirmation to be in the Generals Handbook/AoS3 Core Book, where Legions of Nagash will likely no longer exists in the points tables/backgrounds.

On 5/17/2021 at 2:16 PM, JackStreicher said:

Well LoN is no longer playable since all units have the Soulblight Gravelords keyword and no longer the Legions of Nagash keyword. :)
So you can try to play LoN with no units available that is ^^

Legions of Nagash is actually a strange one in case of Keywords. None of the Warscrolls had a "Legions of Nagash" Keyword instead they were getting it with the Allegiance Abilities.

In case of "Legion of Blood" and "Legion of Night" it should be clear that the new book replaces those two Allegiances.

The weird thing are "Legion of Sacrament" and the "Grand Host of Nagash" who are basicly gone, if Soulblight Gravelords replaces Legions of Nagash.

3 hours ago, EMMachine said:

The weird thing are "Legion of Sacrament" and the "Grand Host of Nagash" who are basicly gone, if Soulblight Gravelords replaces Legions of Nagash.

Legion of Sacrament are pretty much gone entirely. Apart from just using a GA Death army there's no good way to use Arkhan with regular ol' skellies and conventional undead. In the background too most of the forces of the legion of sacrament were ground up to make new recruits for the Null Myriad ossiarch legion and the majority of his necromancers, the famous Black Disciples, were killed off and resurrected as Mortisians.

14 hours ago, NinthMusketeer said:

Legion of Grief is intact!

Weirdly! I guess Legion of Nagash's early edition jank actually works out to an advantage in this instance.

However, it's noteworthy that the old Legions lose Deathly Invocations, because those were moved from the unit's warscrolls to the allegiance abilties of Gravelords. So, drastically reduced healing overall. Exceptions are Arkhan and Nagash who don't yet have warscroll updates.

19 hours ago, sandlemad said:

In the background too most of the forces of the legion of sacrament were ground up to make new recruits for the Null Myriad ossiarch legion and the majority of his necromancers, the famous Black Disciples, were killed off and resurrected as Mortisians.

Huh, so that happened to most Members of the Legion of Sacrament. Haven't read the lore of the Null Myriad yet. I don't know if I read it in one of the threads here or if it was on twitter, but aren't their still Black Disciples who are part of the Legion of Night now?

Is that also what happened to the Members of Nagashs Grandhost?

50 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Huh, so that happened to most Members of the Legion of Sacrament. Haven't read the lore of the Null Myriad yet. I don't know if I read it in one of the threads here or if it was on twitter, but aren't their still Black Disciples who are part of the Legion of Night now?

Is that also what happened to the Members of Nagashs Grandhost?

Not sure about Black Disciples setting up in the legion of night but it’s plausible, the Ossiarch battletome does specifically say that it was most but not all who were killed off, and that only the most magically powerful were chosen to become Mortisians so there’s certainly room to imagine ‘refugee’ Black Disciples swearing allegiance to Mannfred out of desperation and bitterness. Could be a good angle for some homebrew background.

Re: the grand host of Nagash, I don’t think they have as much presence in the background as a defined military entity as the legions of blood/night/sacrament. They seem more like Nagash, his morghasts, and whatever undead he commands at any given moment. Now that he has the Ossiarch legions as his favoured forces and the future of undeath, I’d expect him to go to war surrounded by their ranks rather than the mix of undead you see in the grand host.