Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Eevika

It's time to mourn. Fimir and Tamurkhan being discontinued

Recommended Posts

Now I'm a big forgeworld fan but the recent news of Fimir being discontinued makes me sad. I own a noble and 3 warriors they werent good but damn were they some pretty models. It's no wonder they are being removed from sale GW clearly gives no mind to Forgeworlds AoS models slowly removing them from sale. Fimir and the Monsters of Destruction cant be played in any allegiance or allied in to anything but GA destruction and their rules are mostly subpar it makes me sad as a fan of big cool monsters. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I might order Fimir warriors right now before it's too late and use them as (chaos) trolls or something... (I play Tzeentch)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, ****** it, just bought them. 😎

Maybe there'll be some model's rules in the new Slaves to Darkness tome that can be used for them. Trolls, the Fomorian's or maybe Chaos Ogors or something.

  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pity. I did own some Fimir and would have like to get more, but I couldn't justify putting them on the table. 

Its a bit of a vicious circle. People can't justify getting certain minis -> no effort put into promoting them on the table (rules and such) -> less people buy them -> eventually discontinued.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GW are clearly looking to kill off forge World have been for a few years now. Or at least for definite the AOS arm. Why be in competition with yourself when you can now make plastics that are better sculpts and much more user friendly than old tired resin. Once they have their new factory up and running forge world will swiftly dissappear. The squatting of these unique and great armys is going to continue more and more. 

 

Though Maybe one day they can make a plastic chaos mammoth like everyone wants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd guess its more that Horus Heresy and the specialist games are so much more successful than anything on the AoS side that that is the range they want to put all of their resources into. Forge World can't compete with GW proper making the same sorts of models anymore. It seems to have a new niche, making the specialist stuff, supporting Middle Earth, Horus Heresy and the other less mainstream product lines.

I was never fussed about these particular models, but I hope this doesn't presage a larger set of cuts to the range. There are a few things I'd definitely like to get one day, but its going to be a while before I can afford many of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

GW are clearly looking to kill off forge World have been for a few years now. Or at least for definite the AOS arm. Why be in competition with yourself when you can now make plastics that are better sculpts and much more user friendly than old tired resin. Once they have their new factory up and running forge world will swiftly dissappear. The squatting of these unique and great armys is going to continue more and more. 

 

Though Maybe one day they can make a plastic chaos mammoth like everyone wants. 

Eugh I do not need a reason to consider that immense khorne dragon that requires refinancing my house to purchase....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just remember if you always talk about buying FW but never buy it then - in all honestly - you're part of the problem in the system. Whilst GW could certainly do more to advertise FW and also adjust some of the rules to make them a bit more attractive (and darn it why are things like the myrwurm not in Idoneth etc...); its also on us.

If we don't buy or, worse, if we buy 3rd party recasts then we are only helping contribute to the downfall of FW. 

Even if you've already done your bit, talking and showing off the models can be a big thing to help promote them. Not everything in the hobby has to be the tactically and statistically best thing to use. Sometimes you just gotta put down a super cool looking greater demon or some wolf-sized rats or a massive costs an army in one go" dragon for Chaos etc... Sometimes we have to be the solution. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Overread said:

Just remember if you always talk about buying FW but never buy it then - in all honestly - you're part of the problem in the system. Whilst GW could certainly do more to advertise FW and also adjust some of the rules to make them a bit more attractive (and darn it why are things like the myrwurm not in Idoneth etc...); its also on us.

If we don't buy or, worse, if we buy 3rd party recasts then we are only helping contribute to the downfall of FW. 

Even if you've already done your bit, talking and showing off the models can be a big thing to help promote them. Not everything in the hobby has to be the tactically and statistically best thing to use. Sometimes you just gotta put down a super cool looking greater demon or some wolf-sized rats or a massive costs an army in one go" dragon for Chaos etc... Sometimes we have to be the solution. 

that seem kind of disingenuous though that the customer are the problem when FW never takes any of their criticsms or feedback to heart, like if FW fall is 100% their fault and not the customers that don't want to buy their stuff

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, novakai said:

that seem kind of disingenuous though that the customer are the problem when FW never takes any of their criticsms or feedback to heart, like if FW fall is 100% their fault and not the customers that don't want to buy their stuff

My point is more that a lot of gamers lament the loss of FW kits and at the same time always talk about one day buying them. As a result many are talking about FW but not actually buying FW. In the end if we, as customers, don't buy then yes it makes sense that if falls to the side.

 

I never said that FW/GW wasn't part to blame. They most certainly could do more to help promote the sale of FW models. I'm simply pointing out that its not "just" them and that we as gamers are also part of the equation as customers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Overread said:

My point is more that a lot of gamers lament the loss of FW kits and at the same time always talk about one day buying them. As a result many are talking about FW but not actually buying FW. In the end if we, as customers, don't buy then yes it makes sense that if falls to the side.

 

I never said that FW/GW wasn't part to blame. They most certainly could do more to help promote the sale of FW models. I'm simply pointing out that its not "just" them and that we as gamers are also part of the equation as customers. 

the thing is that we don't know how much a model needs to be sold to be saved and Forgeworld don't actively tell their client that their bortique models are not meant to last on the store like the  GW plastic models (kind of like how Kingdom death does their models), it could just be that a model sell great but the mold broke and then it done-zo. 

beside if they actually put them on last chance to buy, their would be less lamenting and more acceptance of the matter.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the Cities models were deleted, that consisted of mostly models without rules, (one of the command set could function as post-COS General, the rest not, Elspeth had no rules at all) or incomplete models for double the price of regular sets, with the Ironsides not even fitting their save value.

While I did like Manann's blades, them being incomplete made them really not worth it, and the rest was even less worth buying.

FW really did not have a viable product.

These at least were complete and had a warscroll.

But, I think the culling of Order from this summer will have a counterpart for Chaos in winter (in preparation for Slaves).

Quite poetic, actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Overread said:

Just remember if you always talk about buying FW but never buy it then - in all honestly - you're part of the problem in the system. Whilst GW could certainly do more to advertise FW and also adjust some of the rules to make them a bit more attractive (and darn it why are things like the myrwurm not in Idoneth etc...); its also on us.

I am allowed to cry owning some fimir and the entire gloomspite range 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Eevika said:

I am allowed to cry owning some fimir and the entire gloomspite range 

You could use them as troggoths I guess. I have no idea how big Fimir actually are but I think they should be somewhere in the troll range size? I don't think any guy you play against would mind as long as it's clear and the bases are the same size. And if they do mind, you might need to find other people to play with. ;)

 

Edit: Oh, and you are allowed to cry of course! It's a shame. Such beautiful models getting such a bad treatment.

Edited by MitGas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Eevika, as a player from the days of Heroquest, Fimir do have a place in my heart. Glad you got to get some and paint them up before they're gone. You own a little piece of history there.

Edited by Greyshadow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredibly tragic news. I own about twenty Fimir warriors and two nobles, with my magma dragon and basilisk enough to reach 2k of monsters of destruction.

I realize they said it was not linked to further support, but having the Fimir army on Warhammer TV the other day gave me some hope, that if nothing else we might eventually see the WIP Fimir heroes released at some point.

Tamurkhan is similarly a shame, I don't know why they couldn't have simply made his a generic nurgle hero to incentive his use, rather than being bound to a FW army list.

All in all its got me kinda bummed out. Hopefully we'll see the return of Fimir in some form or another in AOS.

Also I'd be tempted to order Tamurkhan as he's still in stock in the UK, but as I live in the US they won't ship it to me.

Edited by Shearl
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my local area a lot of people seem to feel its "ok" to get forgeworld stuff recasted from china due to the pricing. I  think a lot of their releases and sales suffer from this mentality.

Having so many clean up issues with FW stuff doesnt help though. Regardless I wish people would stop supporting recasters.

 

Edited by Kugane
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kugane said:

In my local area a lot of people seem to feel its "ok" to get forgeworld stuff recasted from china due to the pricing. I  think a lot of their releases and sales suffer from this mentality.

Having so many clean up issues with FW stuff doesnt help though. Regardless I wish people would stop supporting recasters.

 

I have honestly had very little issues with forgeworld models but I do realise its a bit of extra work compared to regular plastics

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eevika said:

I have honestly had very little issues with forgeworld models but I do realise its a bit of extra work compared to regular plastics

I personally had a few broken parts and such and quite a bit of flashing, but overall am quite satisfied with FW :). They always give good customer support.

Still a shame to see models go though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder how many of the big Khorne Dragon they've sold. Would love a whole range of Titan-Class AoS models, but AoS in general seems to have barely any Forge World stuff in games compared to 40k. Suppose the fact 30k stuff can mostly be played in 40k helps a lot too. Would also be good to get better rules for chaos dwarves - there's a few of them in tournaments right now but a few new models and high power level rules would be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...