The Rumour Thread

We know there's a multi-part chaos warrior kit to come to compliment the push-fit so this could well be the optional part from that! 

Also GW is now doing random loot crates 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/05/mystery-models-unmissable-prices/

There's an "Imperium" themed one and an "Underworld" themed one. You get double the price of the set in value of models and the contents are fixed per region but also different per region (though as you can only order from one region its a bit of a moot issue, but does mean if you bought two or three you'd get the same repeat content). 

Bit of a surprise move and "loot boxes" are always a bit of a hit and miss thing in that some people love them and others hate them. It's also curious because its very odd if GW has enough stock left over from those franchises to actually make it an excess stock clearance. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Overread said:

We know there's a multi-part chaos warrior kit to come to compliment the push-fit so this could well be the optional part from that! 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/05/mystery-models-unmissable-prices/

There's an "Imperium" themed one and an "Underworld" themed one. You get double the price of the set in value of models and the contents are fixed per region but also different per region (though as you can only order from one region its a bit of a moot issue, but does mean if you bought two or three you'd get the same repeat content). 

Bit of a surprise move and "loot boxes" are always a bit of a hit and miss thing in that some people love them and others hate them. It's also curious because its very odd if GW has enough stock left over from those franchises to actually make it an excess stock clearance. 

I'm more in the Latter. I dont think Loot Boxes are good thing in general and putting them into an already quite expensive hobby is a definite no go for me. Good for those who enjoy them but, no thanks.

• Like 2

these loots crates are genuinely baffling nonsense.

so in my region €80 for the underworlds one.

there's only €156.50 worth of Underworlds stuff left on sale right now (Beastgrave box, deck holder box, model carry case, terrain, playmat), so assuming it's not some really old stuff they found down the back of the sofa you basically get all that, or some combination.

Knowing me I'd open up the box to find 15 ****** playmats staring back at me.

I'd be very, very, very moderately interested if it definitely included the Beastgrave box as that's got the only units I'm missing and I wouldn't mind having the terrain just for modelling but it's a bit random.

I like the lower value and I am okay with the idea in theory: 

But only if they guaranteed the unit would work for specific armies. I would pay a little less for an additional random Slaves to Darkness or Idoneth model, but I do not want to randomly get a model for a different faction that I would have to trade away for the thing I wanted. I would be a fan if the loot boxes were available as a cheap but random booster set for every army, making army building a little easier and giving more varied unit variety in future games. Even if it was something I am not currently in need of for my armies a few push fit models or a new hero would likely see the battlefield on occasion or be fodder for a kitbash. But overall this seems like a bad direction and a predatory gamble style marketing ploy. Although, I am guessing that 9-10 of the 'Imperium' loot boxes will be some brand of Space Marine. So once again Space Marine players will probably get the benefit that every other army needs more.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 3

On 8/5/2020 at 5:41 AM, JPjr said:

Let's play spot the shareholder... 😜

Ha!

In fairness, I've always felt that way. Heck, I've done Tomb Kings armies 3 or 4 times, each with multiple units of 60 skeletons, just so I could have them in different color schemes.

Back in old 40K days, I had something like a dozen metal chaos dreadnought models just so I could play whichever weapon combos I wanted.

This was before I owned stock.

But yes, now that I do own stock, I would be in favor of banning magnets from the hobby entirely. 😉

Edited by Sleboda
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JPjr said:

these loots crates are genuinely baffling nonsense.

so in my region €80 for the underworlds one.

there's only €156.50 worth of Underworlds stuff left on sale right now (Beastgrave box, deck holder box, model carry case, terrain, playmat), so assuming it's not some really old stuff they found down the back of the sofa you basically get all that, or some combination.

Yeah, I was tempted for half a second but even assuming it comes with two or three warbands, it's a crapshoot. I can even think of multiple warbands I'd like, and the terrain is cool, but no way. And that's for a relatively concise game like Underworlds, extend it to "anything imperial for 40k" and it's ludicrous.

2 hours ago, Overread said:

If this comes to Age of Sigmar USA or Canada, i will stop the hobby instantly.

Governments are banning this nonsense in video gaming already and GW has nothing better to do than starting it.

Edited by Kurrilino
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

It's a little disingenuous to call these loot boxes. The reason video game loot boxes are bad is because, among other things, they mirror gambling (like, actual $ gambling) too much. As in, pay money to get a chance at a thing that will help you beat other players, often with things only available in the gamble. When you have the possibility of getting prize money playing those video games ... well, yeah, it's an issue. You shouldn't be able to drop $10 in the hopes of winning $1000.

These are more like the sort of things lots of stores do with mystery grab bags. You are not spending as a gamble toward a larger payoff. You are just getting some hobby stuff cheaper. 

These really are different from loot boxes.

Will I get one? Nah. Even 50% off with almost no knowledge of what I may get is too much. 75% off would tempt me, but probably not even then.

Edit:

It's not like GW isn't already dabbling in this general idea. The Space Marine Heroes series has blind buy with chase models. I bought I case of the Plague Marine ones in Japanese and will buy another if they come to the US in English.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 3

If I were to be a little cynical about it I would guess that these are probably an effort to shift older stock, unsold season 1/2 underworlds teams and terrain, old space marine kits to make way for primaris stuff, that kind of thing.  Personally I think the hobby is probably a little too pricey for me to get excited about the idea of discounted, random kits.  Would I buy a blind hero for a tenner?  Maybe, sure.  But a potential £120  worth of products I might have no interest in is not that appealing.

Oh they are very much aimed at shifting dead-stock or stuff that just isn't selling fast. 

I've seen them be pretty popular in certain gaming circles; competitive wargamers not so much because that breed tends to only want to buy very specific models. More build/paint fans or DnD/roleplaying groups though often love them because they are more interested in something to build and paint and random things to play with. An RPG DM might well have loads of models, some of which might only see use a few times for campaigns or once if at all. They are happy with it because what they want is variety for their games. Meanwhile builders and painters are fully into the construction and art sides of things so having spare parts and random projects can be fun for them.

Heck if they did one for armies I collected I'd be tempted; or one for Adepticus Titanicus etc...

They also don't really harm models sales; the only time is if you end up with a situation like Warmachine/Hordes has had where the company wound up on a LOT of deadstock and a bit of a dwindling marketing campaign because they then somewhat flooded their own market with models. GW is on the up and its very unlikely that they are sitting on vast amounts of unsold stock. So chances are that they won't hurt anyone.

Two very different things, with very different ethical and legal considerations:

1) Loot crate for $80 with an amount of random stuff in it worth $160 (and maybe even the box is always the same so the first time someone buys one and posts online you know exactly what's in it).

2) Loot crate for $80 with an amount of random stuff in it that could vary from $40 to $4,000 based on increasingly unlikely odds.

1) is fine.  2) is very questionable. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

My guess is the Underworld stuff will be outdated season 1 warbands, dice, card sleeves and other accessories. They'll probably throw a newer release in there so their 'influencers' can go, "s-see! It's not all old stock!"

But 1st season warbands are still playable? You only need to replace non-specific cards? And there is no way to buy them with cards right now? So it's not the best but also not the worst deal.

• Thanks 1

I didn't realise people would be so negative about the mystery boxes. 

I'm under no delusion I'm going to get lots of warbands, I'm expecting  tokens, a playmat, objectives, cards, dice and a couple of warbands. 

If they do a AoS one I'll more than likely get one. 

On another note, those bb orcs look amazing! 

1 minute ago, Ogregut said:

I didn't realise people would be so negative about the mystery boxes. 

I think some of it is blowback because "loot boxes" have a very negative connection with online gamers right now (and we are on a forum so there's likely a lot of people who don't like loot crates and such in computer games). The other aspect is that some people just don't like random boxes and fear them becoming the norm; whilst others worry that its devaluing the brand/game etc...

In general its likely also taht its not as "interesting" as new models which is what people want. There's a lot of stuff that people are impatient for that, without Corona, we'd have had already.

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think some of it is blowback because "loot boxes" have a very negative connection with online gamers right now (and we are on a forum so there's likely a lot of people who don't like loot crates and such in computer games). The other aspect is that some people just don't like random boxes and fear them becoming the norm; whilst others worry that its devaluing the brand/game etc...

In general its likely also taht its not as "interesting" as new models which is what people want. There's a lot of stuff that people are impatient for that, without Corona, we'd have had already.

If it was a complete lucky dip then I wouldn't have got one, but I know the products and as the boxes are all the same I'm not to worried. 

I can see why they are doing them as well, with the new factory built, why transfer dead stock when you can sell it. 

I fully expect a AoS and Blackstone fortress one to drop. 

Edited by Ogregut