The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

9th edition leaked entirely over a week before preorders are even up, 21 days before it should actually hit stores. GHB2020, best guarded secret in all the duardin strongholds ;)

Does this mean a new Duardin faction is on its way to contrast the SoB!?😱

CONFIRMED

Edited by JackStreicher
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

Everyone saying character customization would break things...we HAD character customization in WHFB all the way through, and also in 40k through 7th. Character creation didn’t break those games. Actually, Daemons in fantasy in 7th had the least customization and they’re the ones that broke fantasy. So I’m sure GW could do customization again without issue. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Personally I wouldn't ever let an opponent use a customised character. You would just take all the best options and give yourself an unbalanced unit. 

Believe me, I wouldn't. I wouldn't be even able to tell which options are best. If my character has a spear in-universe then it will have spear, even if hammer would be better.

I already thought about Deathmage Necromancer with spear on Dire Wolf.

Edited by michu
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, michu said:

Believe me, I wouldn't. I wouldn't be even able to tell which options are best. If my character has a spear in-universe then it will have spear, even if hammer would be better.

I already thought about Deathmage Necromancer with spear on Dire Wolf.

Akhelian King/Soulscryer on Fangmora 🤔
Dreadlord on Manticore or Demigryph

I‘d Love the option (matched play) to put any character on any mount their faction provides.

Edited by JackStreicher

9 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Personally I wouldn't ever let an opponent use a customised character. You would just take all the best options and give yourself an unbalanced unit. 

Are you familiar with the old way? Have a standard hero on foot; pay X points to upgrade him to have a mount, either horse, manticore, dragon, griffin, etc. He has a basic sword and no armor. Pay points for flail, halberd, ranged weapon, armor, shield, etc. Had a limit on points for buying magic weapons/artifacts (AoS has a limit of 1 built in, plus bonus artifacts based on battalions).

There’s no reason that can’t exist: I buy this hero for 80pts bare bones, give him a horse for +20, a Lance for +10 that does bonus damage on a charge, and improve his armor from 6+ to 4+ for 25pts. My character costs 135pts. Oh, now I spend my artifact allotment on giving him the sword of judgement. 

How is that broken? It just adds a bit of flavor that has been missing for 5yrs now. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

First, another hero idea - Ogor Trapper with pet Squig. Then response:

Just now, TimeToWaste85 said:

Are you familiar with the old way? Have a standard hero on foot; pay X points to upgrade him to have a mount, either horse, manticore, dragon, griffin, etc. He has a basic sword and no armor. Pay points for flail, halberd, ranged weapon, armor, shield, etc. Had a limit on points for buying magic weapons/artifacts (AoS has a limit of 1 built in, plus bonus artifacts based on battalions).

There’s no reason that can’t exist: I buy this hero for 80pts bare bones, give him a horse for +20, a Lance for +10 that does bonus damage on a charge, and improve his armor from 6+ to 4+ for 25pts. My character costs 135pts. Oh, now I spend my artifact allotment on giving him the sword of judgement. 

How is that broken? It just adds a bit of flavor that has been missing for 5yrs now. 

One word. Herohammer.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Herohammer hadn’t been a true problem in fantasy since 5th edition. And in 40k, which AoS is more similar to now...8th edition with command points and such has been more hero hammer than previous iterations where you just buy upgraded gear and slap it on somebody. The previous incarnations of hero building for both systems was far more fair than it is now in 40k. AoS...customization is a general’s trait and an artifact at most. 

I sincerely doubt you’ll be able to buy Archaon a chariot pulled by one of each of the 4 (make that 5!) greater daemons or anything ridiculous like that. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think  we are already doing that.
At least I pick my "pre-build" heroes based on  how valuable are they going to be on the table.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

Herohammer hadn’t been a true problem in fantasy since 5th edition. And in 40k, which AoS is more similar to now...8th edition with command points and such has been more hero hammer than previous iterations where you just buy upgraded gear and slap it on somebody. The previous incarnations of hero building for both systems was far more fair than it is now in 40k. AoS...customization is a general’s trait and an artifact at most. 

Yeah, choosing a character's gear was standard for almost all of WHFB's lifespan and had absolutely nothing to do with herohammer, the roots of which lie in completely different design choices. Seriously, they're orthogonal topics. Deciding if your empire general/high elf prince/vampire/whatever swung a halberd or a great weapon was normal for 30+ years, it's the "your megaboss/primaris captain can only have X wargear" that's the outlier, or new normal if you like.

There's a discussion to be had about which is easier to balance and different design paradigms (customised mundane wargear + magic items vs. battalion-based artefacts and warlord traits) but the idea that simple customisation is broken is deeply uninformed and utterly wild to me. You're already customising your characters.

• Like 2

Also, as an actual rumour/bit of news, folks on B&C have spotted a new domain on games-workshop.com: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-Forge

Warhammer Forge was the old branch of Forge World that handled resin stuff for WHFB, including the Tamurkhan and Monstrous Arcanum books. They were around between 2011 and 2015. Possibly this domain is a sign of (i) the Old World revival getting its own team or division name, and/or (ii) a more focused effort on resin stuff for AoS?

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Also, as an actual rumour/bit of news, folks on B&C have spotted a new domain on games-workshop.com: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-Forge

Warhammer Forge was the old branch of Forge World that handled resin stuff for WHFB, including the Tamurkhan and Monstrous Arcanum books. They were around between 2011 and 2015. Possibly this domain is a sign of (i) the Old World revival getting its own team or division name, and/or (ii) a more focused effort on resin stuff for AoS?

Clearly it is (iii) A way to customize and buy your personal AoS character. (akin to heroforge) ;)

Its a new page, not a new domain. As such it is something under the Games Workshop main site, making it unlikely that its something for Forge World. Unless GW is moving away from Forgeworld and putting it under their own site.

24 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Yeah, choosing a character's gear was standard for almost all of WHFB's lifespan and had absolutely nothing to do with herohammer, the roots of which lie in completely different design choices. Seriously, they're orthogonal topics. Deciding if your empire general/high elf prince/vampire/whatever swung a halberd or a great weapon was normal for 30+ years, it's the "your megaboss/primaris captain can only have X wargear" that's the outlier, or new normal if you like.

There's a discussion to be had about which is easier to balance and different design paradigms (customised mundane wargear + magic items vs. battalion-based artefacts and warlord traits) but the idea that simple customisation is broken is deeply uninformed and utterly wild to me. You're already customising your characters.

Chosing wargear from a pre-made list is very different to the custom hero system we are getting this time. 

For example,  in the 8th edition High Elves army book, you could chose the mount of an Arch-Mage and add a magical item. Stats and special rules are fixed.
Even the more free-form heroes (which are more the exception than the norm), can switch their weapon only for pre-defined weapons like great weapon/lance.

While the generator looks much more free-flow, like you can upgrade stats (and maybe add special rules?)

Edited by Gecktron

Just now, Gecktron said:

Chosing wargear from a pre-made list is very different to the custom hero system we are getting this time. 

For example,  in the 8th edition High Elves army book, you could chose the mount of an Arch-Mage and add a magical item. Stats and special rules are fixed.
Even the more free-form heroes (which are more the exception than the norm), can switch their weapon only for pre-defined weapons like great weapon/lance.

While the generator looks much more free-flow, like you can upgrade stats (and maybe add special rules?)

Today we should have more info about that.