The Rumour Thread

Just now, novakai said:

i don't think it building an expectation that got people disappointed but rather just lack of substance from the preview comparatively to the other 2 seminars. Even people who didn't expect much from the preview got even less than they thought

Fault probably lies with the shipping problem delaying the Sylvaneath BT

Yeah I mean, I think there is more than one type of disappointed fan on the boards - those that think the reveal was poor compared to HH or 40k and those that did not get to see what they expected to see. Sometimes the two bleed into each other as well

46 minutes ago, Turragor said:

@swarmofseals well put.

I for one feel only sparks of joy when any niche or group (be it game or faction) get new things - and people are getting new things at an unprecedented rate. It's great.

I do get the disappointment though. I don't agree but I get it.

I think what happens is that people simply see what they want in a lot of rumours. Those silhoutte reveals are the absolute best for this. It's like a rorshach inkblot test.  They build an expectation (based on what they want to see) and then watch it get shot down. Disappointment logically follows.

The problem is even the "niche group" that this release was targetted for is complaining, and for good reason.  It's a single warcry unit and they haven't even announced yet who can play this for AoS and how.  Slaves to Darkness players have been left high and dry for many years so I don't blame them.  Warhammer fest would have been the perfect time to announce something that's actually for AoS and not for a side game.

Also, if I remember correctly ... At the moment STD is the lowest competitive WinRate accross all factions. Which ... Means a lot. 

Though I really want to see what treatment they give to Darkoath, so I might be biased 😅

Well, ultimately underwhelming but there’s still some good stuff in there - New Warcry warband looks cool and is perfect for Slaanesh conversions just like I’d hoped, new Daemons for Heresy will fit in perfectly in Daemon armies for any system and that lion-thing (GW are really going for the lion-hybrid thing at the moment) for Underworlds could be for anything at all so I’m choosing optimism (and likely crushing disappointment) and guessing that it’s a totally new faction.

Still got the Warcry painting seminar and AoS studio Q&A so hopefully someone there manages to squeeze a bit more out of them. And more picture of the Warcry warbands would be good.

• Like 1

I suppose it's slightly underwhelming for any AoS players expecting a new/the next battletome reveal, but honestly GW do so many events and announcements now that I feel that could come at any time. As for announcements as a whole, I'm really excited!

- The contrast paints look amazing, particularly excites me as an Imperial Fists collector, but also because I've been using the wash over white technique on my slayers - so I feel prepped to go already!

- Yeah, we don't know how the Warcry minis will work in AoS yet, but I'm sure they've mentioned they'll all translate to the game. I'm choosing to hope that these are all super versatile kits that will somehow all band together into a lovely Darkoath battletome, so I'll finally have use for that Archaon I probably shouldn't have bought on a whim...

- I'm actually mega excited about the Lion. With the little teaser in the Hedonites tome (below), I'm hyping myself up to believe this little guy is part of a new faction I'm calling Teclis & Tyrion's Angel Force™ and I couldn't be more excited. I'm definitely not building myself up for Slaanesh Mortals levels of disappointment... nope.

image.png.8ac16914d8874ab4aa606484d53a82be.png

• Like 1

I'm inclined to believe (like some others have mentioned) that the Sylvaneth delay is having a domino affect with other similar battletome/scenery/spells releases being pushed back as well (I assume they're all manufactured or shipped by the same company). GW's breakneck release schedule is likely starting to give. 

I think the lion is part of a united Aelves warband that is hopefully called literally anything other than "Aelves".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

The problem is even the "niche group" that this release was targetted for is complaining, and for good reason.  It's a single warcry unit and they haven't even announced yet who can play this for AoS and how.  Slaves to Darkness players have been left high and dry for many years so I don't blame them.  Warhammer fest would have been the perfect time to announce something that's actually for AoS and not for a side game.

This is where the disconnect is for me, I think.

I'm not sure why people think this reveal was targeted specifically at Slaves to Darkness players. The new models previewed seems to me to be targeted at players who are interested in Warcry. And then there is the GHB2019 preview which is aimed at anyone, with a big wink at people who are interested in smaller scale games. And the Underworlds preview part, which is aimed solidly at Underworlds players. 

I know a lot of people are anticipating a StD release because of rumors and the Darkoath Warqueen, and some people are concerned that Warcry is actually going to be the only StD related release in lieu of a battletome or larger kit rollout. 

Personally I doubt that this will be the case. Lets at least wait and see though instead of getting triggered at every Warcry preview. 

If some months from now GW comes out and says "Ohh yeah, no StD battletome. All you get is Warcry" then yeah, get upset. You'd have every right to. I'll dislike it too. I don't play StD now, but Chaos Warriors was my first army back in 5th. Personally, I think the humble chaos warrior is the most iconic thing in all of GW's fantasy history. It all goes back to Harry the Hammer. If GW chooses to abandon that history, it'll be a shame.

But that's really not where we are at.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Charleston said:

About the two GHB, I habe a wild speculation. I do not wan´t to creaty any wrong expectations, but:

The Point Values is one of the thin Handouts/Pamphlets. I could imagine we can get theese for free at out local GW just like the Rules for 40k or AoS (at least as it was in the last edition). This would let the GHB be not necessary to get the updates, and therefore it would allow GW to put more content in it to make the book of a higher value for players. Also Point Values could be therefore changed in a higher pace than once a year.

The fact, that it would mean higher costs for GW, is the main argument against my crazy theory

I highly doubt they will ever pull the points completely out of the general’s handbook as a product.  In this case I am willing to bet they simply have separated the product into a pamphlet with the points and maybe a few other pages of rules in order to make the main book just contain rules that will not be likely to be replaced in the next yearly version.  Then the pamphlet will contain the transitory rules such as points and whatnot.

But I expect they will still sell both of these together and not provide them separately.  It makes no sense for them to do that as a business.  If the main thing that sells many copies of the GHB each year is the matched-play points, and their profit margins on book products is quite strong, then why would they offer those points for free?  That would be a poor business move.

I expect that they are simply trying to make the book portion of the GHB more convenient and useful as a product.  Most of what is in each edition of the GHB is valid and useful across the span of a full game edition and some stuff is still good across multiple editions.  This is probably just a move to pull apart longer lived content from the more temporary content and also make it easier to reference just the points.

So if it’ true that we will see a minimum of 4 new tomes then Death and Chaos is rather interessting and I guess Destruction is too. 

Any guesses?

My would be.

- Soulblight (though Im hoping for Deadwalkers)

- Ironjaws/BCR

- Kharadron/Seraphon.

- Darkoath (simply because who else, unless they start seperating Skavens again).

Oh man, those Splintered Fang minis look gorgeous. Over on DakkaDakka in the Warcry thread they have a picture of the whole warband in the cabinet, and there are ones not pictured in the preview. They all look really fantastic.

Warcry seems like the perfect game for me, I really hope the rules are well-written. I guess we'll find out in July.

Also Contrast paints look really nice. I think they will save me a lot of time on painting flesh, which is probably my least favorite/time consuming thing to paint.

I can definitely get that some AoS fans are disappointed with the reveals though. I imagine there will be more at UK Games Expo here pretty soon. I think a lot of disappointment is coming from how little was shown at this Warhammer Fest, but I think more of it is that GW had to split their previews across three events this month. I presume they don't want to preview stuff too far in the future either, so they probably didn't have a lot of ways to split things up.

6 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

So if it’ true that we will see a minimum of 4 new tomes then Death and Chaos is rather interessting and I guess Destruction is too. 

Any guesses?

My would be.

- Ironjaws/BCR

- Kharadron/Seraphon.

- Darkoath (simply because who else, unless they start seperating Skavens again).

Chaos could still be Tzeentch update but I am leaning more for Darkoath

Death: my guess would be Deathrattle just because i hope Krell comes back

7 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Any guesses?

My would be.

- Ironjaws/BCR

- Kharadron/Seraphon.

For Chaos, I couldn't see it being Skaven, as they just got a new battletome earlier this year.  I could see it being Tzeentch or Nurgle, but I'm really really hoping it's Slaves to Darkness//Darkoath. I think Seraphon and Stormcast are going to get new tomes for Order/Ironjaws is my pick for Destruction/Soulblight would be awesome for Death.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sabotage! said:

Oh man, those Splintered Fang minis look gorgeous. Over on DakkaDakka in the Warcry thread they have a picture of the whole warband in the cabinet, and there are ones not pictured in the preview. They all look really fantastic.

Warcry seems like the perfect game for me, I really hope the rules are well-written. I guess we'll find out in July.

Also Contrast paints look really nice. I think they will save me a lot of time on painting flesh, which is probably my least favorite/time consuming thing to paint.

I can definitely get that some AoS fans are disappointed with the reveals though. I imagine there will be more at UK Games Expo here pretty soon. I think a lot of disappointment is coming from how little was shown at this Warhammer Fest, but I think more of it is that GW had to split their previews across three events this month. I presume they don't want to preview stuff too far in the future either, so they probably didn't have a lot of ways to split things up.

C215758D-D21A-4919-A6E3-12B51B73B768.jpeg

The new snake warband kinda annoys me slightly (going to proxy them for my slaanesh army), anyway I won't bring up that old argument. I could voice the double standards at people being disappointed with the AOS announcements in light of people being quite upset at the fact that there are no slaanesh mortals. 

Edited by shinros
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ungface said:

well, he said they confirmed atleast a battle tome for each alliance still coming this year and warcry is confirmed july.

Not news though for most people I wouldn’t have thought, Something already announced still happening. Warcry trailer had July in it as well. 

Just now, the_master288 said:

For Chaos, I couldn't see it being Skaven, as they just got a new battletome earlier this year.  I could see it being Tzeentch or Nurgle, but I'm really really hoping it's Slaves to Darkness//Darkoath. I think Seraphon and Stormcast are going to get new tomes for Order/Ironjaws is my pick for Destruction/Soulblight would be awesome for Death.

Nurgle? Why Nurgle? They got lots of love just 16month ago and arent top bad despite not being a top tier army. Their bookwas even released with the AOS 2 design. All nurgle need is endless spells, like so many others.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Any guesses?

My would be.

- Ironjaws/BCR

- Kharadron/Seraphon.

Chaos:  Darkoath/STD. It's that or Tzeentch, and there's a lot of suggestion towards STD and none for Tzeentch that I've seen

Destruction: Gutbusters or combined Ogres, based on the early preview graphic for the 4 alliances being pretty reliable so far.  Plus they're including Maneaters in their new Mercenary rules, would be weird to do that for a completely unsupported faction that doesn't even have allegiance abilities.

Death: Either Soulblight or Skellymans, leaning towards the latter based on rumor engines.

Order: Some type of Aelf faction, based on rumor engines and that lion they just previewed for Underworlds.

1 hour ago, swarmofseals said:

This is where the disconnect is for me, I think.

I'm not sure why people think this reveal was targeted specifically at Slaves to Darkness players. The new models previewed seems to me to be targeted at players who are interested in Warcry. And then there is the GHB2019 preview which is aimed at anyone, with a big wink at people who are interested in smaller scale games. And the Underworlds preview part, which is aimed solidly at Underworlds players. 

I know a lot of people are anticipating a StD release because of rumors and the Darkoath Warqueen, and some people are concerned that Warcry is actually going to be the only StD related release in lieu of a battletome or larger kit rollout. 

Personally I doubt that this will be the case. Lets at least wait and see though instead of getting triggered at every Warcry preview. 

If some months from now GW comes out and says "Ohh yeah, no StD battletome. All you get is Warcry" then yeah, get upset. You'd have every right to. I'll dislike it too. I don't play StD now, but Chaos Warriors was my first army back in 5th. Personally, I think the humble chaos warrior is the most iconic thing in all of GW's fantasy history. It all goes back to Harry the Hammer. If GW chooses to abandon that history, it'll be a shame.

But that's really not where we are at.

I'm excited for the other games that GW comes up with, Warcry being one of them.  What I don't want to happen is for GW to lose sight on why we're all here; waiting for news on AoS. They keep combining other games in the AoS universe into their AoS "announcement slot".  Ideally, they had another time when they could release this type of news, so that AoS players who are focused just on larger AoS battles could have something to look forward to at these events.

I'm definitely biased in this regards though as I sit here eagerly awaiting some Slaves to Darkness news like a fiend, haha.

• Like 2