The Rumour Thread

13 hours ago, Grimrock said:

Uh, no? If they grind up the models they make zero profit and maybe recoup a buck in materials per box. If re-packaging models makes it possible to sell them then of course GW would do it. Sure the profit margin would be a little smaller, but it's still going to be more profit than just grinding up the plastic.

Just in case anyone wasn't around in second edition, GW pulled something very similar there. They added mercenary rules to the game and then dropped them immediately at the next GHB and pretended like they never existed. The majority of the mercenary companies were for models that stuck around, but once they sold out of the dwarf cannons in particular they promptly deleted from the game. I would not be surprised at all to see the same thing here. It's possible they might herald some resculpts (for example there was a blood knight mercenary company before the new plastics dropped), but I'm guessing the dwarves will disappear from the game before the edition is out. 

I personally have I hopes that the dwarfs will stay.

they are After-all an iconic faction.

• Like 1

I have renewed optimism for a  new Duardin faction and second waves for KO and FS.

Elves looked like they were going bananas ( I love them all!) and then they realised arguably the most grounded faction in order with Lumineth. Yes they're more flamboyant than High Elves but not much! They've been very popular in all aspects of the hobby and I feel they're the reason GW will look to do Dwarves in same way.  

Hopefully it's one that will look great next to dawnbringers and the cities dwarves and go well with Ironweld. I think there's space for one more dwarf faction!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nuriel said:

Exactly. I don't trust GW after what they did with Spire of Dawn, Start Collecting Greenskinz and Legion of the First Prince. What's the point of buying "old" duradins if they dissapear in the few months?

All those boxes are under 400 points so even if the battalion rules go you can still use them as allies. 

And if they do become discontinued, it just means you can't use them at tournaments, nothing is stopping you using them for friendly games. 

If you like the models get them, don't be held hostage to ever changing rules. 

Rules come and go, cool models are cool models forever. 

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ogregut said:

All those boxes are under 400 points so even if the battalion rules go you can still use them as allies. 

And if they do become discontinued, it just means you can't use them at tournaments, nothing is stopping you using them for friendly games. 

If you like the models get them, don't be held hostage to ever changing rules. 

Rules come and go, cool models are cool models forever. 

Depedning on the prices on those boxes, they could also be good options for adding units to an army.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cofaxest said:

I hope they will be redone in 32mm scale like StD with more dynamic posing.

That already happened during 8e wfb though. Compare the current dwarves to the old warriors and thunderers kits, or the plastic heroes to the old metal characters. Peopke talk about them being an old faction, but they're really not. The model's came out less than a year before aos, and I bet they were working on fyreslayers around the same time.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

This being applicable to all models of all ranges out there and then to paper models and plastic WWII soldiers, I am not sure it's a particularly good advice.

Yes, you can use them in "friendly games", but unless you regularly and only play with the same opponents, it will be objectively harder to use them, will complicate the organisation of pick up games and generally require more and more adjustments as time goes on.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Regiments of renown aka mercenaries.

keep your bait GW, we know they won’t be useable within 6 months.

Why would you assume this? Once they add the option to the app they can keep it indefinitely and the models themselves are mostly new and I don't see them going anywhere. 

Slightly unrelated news, but CA just released the launch trailer for Total Warhammer Immortal Empires (out of beta release) and there's a little special tease for you fellow Dawi-Zharr enjoyers! Everyone board the Daemonic Hell Hype Train!!!

Immortal Empires

I still have my Warhammer World Daemonsmith unopened ready for their tabletop return, we're one step closer!

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 6

Slightly unrelated news, but CA just released the launch trailer for Total Warhammer Immortal Empires (out of beta release) and there's a little special tease for you fellow Dawi-Zharr enjoyers! Everyone board the Daemonic Hell Hype Train!!!

Immortal Empires

I still have my Warhammer World Daemonsmith unopened ready for their tabletop return, we're one step closer!

2 hours ago, Marcvs said:

This being applicable to all models of all ranges out there and then to paper models and plastic WWII soldiers, I am not sure it's a particularly good advice.

Yes, you can use them in "friendly games", but unless you regularly and only play with the same opponents, it will be objectively harder to use them, will complicate the organisation of pick up games and generally require more and more adjustments as time goes on.

My main point is, if you like the models and want them, buy them. Don't be hampered by rules and the current meta. 

You'll still enjoy painting them and they will still look good on your shelf or cabinet. 

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Depedning on the prices on those boxes, they could also be good options for adding units to an army.

I defo want the warcry one. I'm also guessing that will be one of the more popular ones. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

My main point is, if you like the models and want them, buy them. Don't be hampered by rules and the current meta.

Look... Could we, maybe, just for a moment take into consideration that this hobby is also _a_game_? And maybe, just maybe, it is rather important for some of the people that the items they spend their money on will be viable within _the_game_ for foreseeable future? And maybe try not to tell them they should ignore, what clearly matters to them?

As it stands GW is releasing a potentially attractive looking box without having addressed the future of the faction. If people have concerns, I see them as both legitimate and relevant.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

Like the previous mercenaries? The Blackpowder one only lasted some two months.

I am not fully aware of this history, but current rules are not directly tied with the GHB, so I would assume they should last until the end of the 3 ed. Anyway, I think I will get the Dwarf box - they should always be usable in the KO army, this way or the other.

6 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Not AoS, but Immortal Empires for Total War: Warhammer 3 is out of beta and there's a teaser for Chaos Dwarfs at the end.

My friend just sent me a text without context saying "Chaos Dwarves confirmed!": I checked Warhammer Community for AoS (or Blood Bowl) Chaos Dwarves before realizing it was Total War... Still great news but a bit of a rollercoaster for me haha

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flippy said:

current rules are not directly tied with the GHB, so I would assume they should last until the end of the 3 ed

current rules say nothing about Regiments of Renown and they will be tied to a very fickle document (a White Dwarf), so they're just one slip of the pen (in the next GHB, so 5 months from now) from not being useable in Matched Play anymore.

Speaking of the models as such, it's of course a matter of taste but I fail to see all the interest for the dwarf box. Sure, it might come at a discount when compared with the high price of the duardin models (and the usual crazy foot hero markup), but 2/3 of the box (longbeards and runelord) are absolutely generic.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Speaking of the models as such, it's of course a matter of taste but I fail to see all the interest for the dwarf box. Sure, it might come at a discount when compared with the high price of the duardin models (and the usual crazy foot hero markup), but 2/3 of the box (longbeards and runelord) are absolutely generic.

I mean if you don't like the models of course you don't want the box. If you do, it's looking like a pretty good pick-up.

Me personally, I don't need it, but it is giving me the motivation to dust off my old Dispossessed models and start giving them a battle ready paintjob.

52 minutes ago, Flippy said:

I am not fully aware of this history, but current rules are not directly tied with the GHB, so I would assume they should last until the end of the 3 ed. Anyway, I think I will get the Dwarf box - they should always be usable in the KO army, this way or the other.

GW has historically been pretty reliable when it comes to keeping models playable in their respective faction, but have been pretty bad when it comes to preserving options that break faction barriers. Over the course of the last few years, we lost a number of those options: Grand alliances after the shift to 3rd edition, mercenary companies from GHB 2019 I believe when GHB 2020 came out, Legion of Grief just after Soulblight Gravelords released and also Lethisian Defenders at some point.

Personally, I have become pretty weary of allies and mercenaries. They have a tendency to just disappear when point updates come out and they are not on the list. Plus, by running allies, you are making yourself doubly vulnerable to tome updates breaking existing synergy. I used to run a Knight Azyros in Cities, but that interaction broke when Stormcast got updated. I believe there was also a bunch of trouble with Slaves to Darkness and Beasts of Chaos coallition at the start of this edition.

Preserving cross-faction compatibility just does not seem to be much of a priority for GW. So if you want to get one of those ROR boxes to play them in a faction that can't usually run them, you should accept the possibility that the option might go away as soon as next GHB, and very likely with the next edition.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chikout said:

The only problem is that I don't see how this ties into the name of the box. Every expansion this year for both Warcry and Kill Team has tied into at least one of the warbands. Shadow vault suggests crypt and hence Necrons. Sundered Fate is a pretty clear reference to Tzeentch. Soul shackle suggests both the Dark Eldar and the gear of the Arbites and Blood hunt has strong ties to both the vampires and Khorne. If I was to guess a warband based purely on the name I would choose FEC as they seem to fit the Nightmare Quest description perfectly. 

I know people think of gitz as "goofy haha" and slaanesh as "sex, drugs & rock'n'roll" but both have plenty of nightmare fuel, body horror in particular.
There was even a story in the gitz battletome about gitz feigning defeat to lure a slaaneshi warband into their mushroom farm, only for the entire slaaneshi force to start having a bad trip letting the gitz ambush them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Flippy said:

Just after the GHB, models of the factions that would become Cities started getting out of stock, dwarf arty included. They were fully out of stock worldwide before GW announced them going out of stock. After Cities came out, the hero required in the mercenaries had its warscroll rewritten and no longer worked with that artillery (the options required for the General in the pistoleers mercenary were removed from the warscroll as well, so that option was totally gone). Next GHB, mercenaries were gone alltogether.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Immortal Empires

I can't believe I get to say this for real but:

CHAOS DWARVES CONFIRMED!!!!!!*

(*in Total War: Warhammer, but I'll take it)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • LOVE IT! 1