The Rumour Thread

Though i know we are all really looking forward to the release, i do like this moment of wild speculation in the weeks before the actual release. The reveal is that much more satisfying.

8 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

40K rumours saying Kroot are coming, what would people think of them getting ported to AoS as a tribal/barbarian faction? I think they’re low tech enough to work and their lore wouldn’t need much changing, just making them hunters who gain powers from what they eat. 

Kroots as an AOS army would definitely work. The Kharadron's have set the tone for the level of technology acceptable in the universe and Kroots are below that imo. They could do a double army like demons, playable in both games. The only issue perhaps is how strong and developed the fluff for Kroots is. People will automatically associate them to Tau.

Could be cool though to add more variety. They could be Destruction.

8 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

I've heard that myth too but at this point I think we can put it in the same category as the Loch Ness monster or El Dorado, because no one on the entire planet has ever seen more than 1 hero clampack, 1 large boat, and 2 infantry kits out of that army in person. Blurry photos don't count. 

:D

44 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

I've heard that myth too but at this point I think we can put it in the same category as the Loch Ness monster or El Dorado, because no one on the entire planet has ever seen more than 1 hero clampack, 1 large boat, and 2 infantry kits out of that army in person. Blurry photos don't count. 

187205-DuardinKharadronOverlords.jpg

Edit: I appreciate you were making a joke based on how most people only field a few of the small range, but have added the above to just clarify in case people reading thought you were serious ;)

Edited by RuneBrush
  • Like 3

I'm still really not sure about Mathlann / Manaan / Aislinn influences on the Idoneth.

The original rumor also mentioned Tyrion & Teclis weren't involved with the Deepkin, but then we learn that they are in fact Teclis failed creation.

Just like Daughter Of Khaine are in fact Daughter of

Spoiler

Morathi, because Khaine is truly dead following the End Times

EDIT : I find the Shadespire "add variation to battleline / base units" concept really great, notably for the Blood Warriors and SCE Rangers !!

Edited by HorticulusTGA
  • Like 1

I wonder if we will get another teaser before the reveal. The daughters of Khaine got two animated teasers before their big reveal at LVO.

Another little drip of info at the weekend would keep the hype boat afloat until the reveal next week.

I'm wondering if I should start dishing out warning points for all of these puns.... 

4 hours ago, syph0n said:

So if we round up the rumours around the Idoneth Deepkin:

• Follow Mathlann (who we know from WHFB was a bit of a "difficult" God, represented Poseidon in the game)... which I know was more High Elf before but the High Elves themselves didn't like Mathlann that much. If Mathlann is more like Khaine...
  • A couple of heroes - one riding some sort of sea creature, or otherwise (magic?) - I personally don't think Mistweaver will be part of them despite...
  • ... Them coming from the mists and magically affect the areas they raid by making it as though it's "underwater"
  • Greek aesthetic (ties in with Atlantis, Poseidon) - helms, spears (makes sense) and by extension harpoons?
  • Shark cavalry or chariots?
  • Giant turtle, ridden by Aelves? Is this a behemoth, a chariot, a war machine? If not behemoth, could there be more to come?
  • Soul-stealing - does this relate to Teclis failing to create a race of perfect new Aelves, who just somehow aren't magically bound the souls recovered from Slaanesh? "Woe is us, lets retreat to sea and come out to take what we can get". Does it link to Nagash? Hide in the deep to disguise their tenuous hold on their Aelven souls? This I guess also pitches them again Chaos (would be anyway) and against destruction. 
  • 8 lines - 8 units from combined boxes (very common now, and a good idea) seems likely. 
  • Kraken/octopus logo. 
  • They're Order (get over it xD)
  • They're not "High Aelves" (get over it xD)

My feelings:

• Inspired by Atlantis, Greek Gods. Spears, harpoons, tridents, helmets. Fish scale style-armour. Could even be a little bit African even, if you look at some of the Atlantis stories. All with an AoS twist.
  • Would have been High Aelves, but by virtue of stealing souls they just can't be. Doesn't make them wholly evil, chaotic, death or destruction (hence Order), just like the Dark Aelves themselves really (bar Morathi, but she hates Chaos and Nagash so that's that). Bitter?
  • Not all of them will need to steal souls. Some perhaps are chosen of Mathlann, hence lead their kin to land. 
  • Don't think we'll see fish Aelves, rather more souless, more undead looking. Gaunt. Sad. Angry? (I can't help but think of Little Mermaid and those stolen souls the fat Octopus woman took (xD)
  • I think rumours will emerge of their battleline units. Nothing we've heard so far screams battleline to me yet. This has got to be a dual kit like the Melusai and Khinerai? I think they'll be the ones above.
  • I think rumours will emerge of a larger sea creature than an Aelf riding a nasty turtle, though honestly don't know. Snapping turtles are mean  though!
  • Some mechanic like the Sylvaneth woods. Hope it's not that bloody boat though! Stargate-esque Portals? Water funnels? Something cool.
  • Can't see it being a horde army

Nice round up. Part of me is expecting a lot of this but also I would love to see a more bio-mechanical type theme for them with Cthulhu twist. Would love to see them as an elite army in a sort of mecha bio suit than riding some sort of sea-horse/shark hybrid but I suspect whatever we see, I will like.

@Gaz Taylor Yeah I think we discussed along those lines before, but I genuinely think it's not gonna be that theme. I'm keeping my eyes and ears peeled to see a horrible octopus or kraken like creature joining the army, something like the logo, but I think that logo might well be a red herring (BOO!!!), or just to allude further to the water theme and links to the aelven faction it seems to be heading towards. Again, selfishly, I hope to see a closer alliance with the scourge privateers but I doubt it. 

Edited by syph0n
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Do not forget that Aislann Lord of the Lothern Sea Guards was living Avatar of Manthlann/Manthlann himself in End Times and he didn't actually die as he was swallowed by ocean. 

@zedatkinszed GW didn't confirm that all gods are dead, also maybe Manthlann/Aislinn was devoured by Slaasnesh as well but found way to escape into see or Teclis extracted his soul etc. 

1 hour ago, HorticulusTGA said:

I'm still really not sure about Mathlann / Manaan / Aislinn influences on the Idoneth.

The original rumor also mentioned Tyrion & Teclis weren't involved with the Deepkin, but then we learn that they are in fact Teclis failed creation.

Just like Daughter Of Khaine are in fact Daughter of

Hide contents

Morathi, because Khaine is truly dead following the End Times

Mathlann, the old Mathlann is dead as per GW. They've said it multiple times the old Gods were all eaten by Chaos. Vetock tells us that Khaine was killed (https://youtu.be/RwzsAAdK10s?t=4m25s). Phil Kelly said the same in the WHTV twitch piece on eth DoK lore in fact he said all eth old gods were dead.

Now, yes it would be cool if a new Mathlann arrived. Or if they found a way to have a resurrected Mathlann, but as of now he's dead.

3 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:
5 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Mathlann, the old Mathlann is dead as per GW. They've said it multiple times the old Gods were all eaten by Chaos. Vetock tells us that Khaine was killed (https://youtu.be/RwzsAAdK10s?t=4m25s). Phil Kelly said the same in the WHTV twitch piece on eth DoK lore in fact he said all eth old gods were dead.

Now, yes it would be cool if a new Mathlann arrived. Or if they found a way to have a resurrected Mathlann, but as of now he's dead.

So how does Grungi and Grimnir survived ? (and Valaya is MIA)

2 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

Vetock tells us that Khaine was killed

Th DoK Battletome lore spells out in detail that Khaine is dead.  He was shattered in the end times and Khorne melted down the shards to become weapons for his greatest champions.  He was unable to destroy Khaine's heart, however and hurled it into the cosmos, where it floated for ages until eventually it came into the possession of the father of Kharybdyses.  Morathi tracked it down and tried to seduce him, but when she failed (this is becoming a theme with her) she transformed into her shadow queen form.  Their battle raged for a week, but Morathi was victorious and now owns Khaine's heart.  Rather than trying to resurrect Khaine, however, Morathi siphons off the energy that pours into the heart when her cultists pray to Khaine.  Long story short: Khaine ain't coming back.

• Like 3

Morathi noted that aelven gods are/were cyclical in nature, although she doesn't feel their power at this moment it doesn't imply they couldn't come back. I think it's simply GW writers leaving enough room for this possibility, in an event they decide they might need this theme in the future.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, eciu said:

Nagash explicitly ate Valaya on his way to Nehekhara in the End Times. Her death screwed up a bunch of protective runes allowing the skaven to massacre almost the entire dwarf race during Thanquol. God those books were brutal!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

187205-DuardinKharadronOverlords.jpg

Edit: I appreciate you were making a joke based on how most people only field a few of the small range, but have added the above to just clarify in case people reading thought you were serious ;)

You forgot these Kharadron units in your overview.

Hoaxed_photo_of_the_Loch_Ness_monster.jpg

1508253954548.jpg

171219092059-ufo-department-of-defense-unidentified-flying-object-super-tease (1).jpg

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Blood&skulls said:

If deepkin are inbound shortly then what pictures from the rumour mill do we think will fit them? 

I cant think of many off the top of my head. 

Anybody got a roundup of pictures that will fit? 

I think 11 and 13 have a strong possibility to be deepkin. 

5D19F4AD-C065-4CA3-85BA-D52C4BF5FBD8.jpeg

7 hours ago, eciu said:

Grungi and Grimnir are incarnates. Grungi of metal and Grimnir of fire. Incarnates are the gods and embodiment of the realms.

Thorgrim was a descendant of Grungi and became the incarnate of metal in the End Times. Thus in AOS Thorgrim is Grungi.

Grimnir is more confusing but it seems he is two things. 1, Ungrim Ironfist was "consumed by the the wind of Aqshy during End Times. And 2, when he was shattered in AOS it turns out that Gotrek may be a piece of him and Gotrek basically can't die.

Nagash ate Valaya in End Times.

Edited by zedatkinszed
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

40K rumours saying Kroot are coming, what would people think of them getting ported to AoS as a tribal/barbarian faction? I think they’re low tech enough to work and their lore wouldn’t need much changing, just making them hunters who gain powers from what they eat. 

Someone made battletomes for them, if you're interested:

Regarding the Idoneth and, specifically, the Mistweaver... well, I have a theory. We've heard something about them being able to use magic to enable them to swim through the air and bring sea creatures to land battles, right? Well, what if this kind of magic manifests as mists? Then, the role of the Mistweaver becomes pretty clear, doesn't it? They'd be the mages that conjure the mists, and the mists bring flying shark cavalry...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

Grungi and Grimnir are incarnates. Grungi of metal and Grimnir of fire. Incarnates are the gods and embodiment of the realms.

Thorgrim was a descendant of Grungi and became the incarnate of metal in the End Times. Thus in AOS Thorgrim is Grungi.

Grimnir is more confusing but it seems he is two things. 1, Ungrim Ironfist was "consumed by the the wind of Aqshy during End Times. And 2, when he was shattered in AOS it turns out that Gotrek may be a piece of him and Gotrek basically can't die.

Nagash ate Valaya in End Times.

Thorgrim isnt Grugni. Grugni did lead the wind of metal to the Eternal Rune wielded by the High King. Thorgrim was kinda incarnate of metal until Chamon left the eternal rune, leaving him vulnerable to be murdered by Snitch. It then travelled for a while until it was claimed by Balthasar Gelt, himself murdered by Manfred. Grugni is very obviously god and protector of metal now, but unlike Sigmar, Nagash, Malekith, etc, his status does not come from an incarnate past. 

And Nagash literally ate Valaya.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Swooper said:

Regarding the Idoneth and, specifically, the Mistweaver... well, I have a theory. We've heard something about them being able to use magic to enable them to swim through the air and bring sea creatures to land battles, right? Well, what if this kind of magic manifests as mists? Then, the role of the Mistweaver becomes pretty clear, doesn't it? They'd be the mages that conjure the mists, and the mists bring flying shark cavalry...

That's an interesting idea, and it would make sense. Creatures that live under the sea could venture onto land if they were surrounded by enough mist to keep them wet and enable them to breathe.