The Rumour Thread

Hold up... 

“Gold has no universal inherent value in the Mortal Realms”

Pretty sure someone on the community team took one look at the 8 million pages of forensic discussion & debate as to what some gold coins on a base might mean and is now trolling us.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Considering that the realm of metal is basically a massive world forged of almost pure metallic deposits in vast quantities it does actually mean that a resource like Gold might well be of little value there. Heck the Stormcast went to war against a fortress built over a vast cauldron of boiling silver - a SEA of SILVER. When you've mineral wealth to such a vast almost incomprehensible level then it does have a big impact on trade 

I love it honestly. Very much reminds me of colonial trade. Can just imagine Karahdron ships laden with all manner of exotic goods, great caravans transporting things beyond the more mundane idea of gold. Well we still have said currency, in realm-stone, that acts the universal  standard. Quality article, and great narrative fuel!

Also, anyone got any sweet, sweet ogor rumors? Just finished painting the flesh on my ebay rescue and I need tome motivation xD

• Like 3

Plus Sigmarite is a thing.  Gold is boring in context of the Mortal Realms and the Aether Gold the Kharandon Overlords seek sounds like a gaseous air-born thing and not stamped gold coins.  It seems like the only reason the Fyreslayers seek gold is that some of it might be chunks of their dispersed god.

I think that rumor engine might be something for Underworlds like new objectives or scenery like the couple of kits before.  I honestly hope it is, I think Idoneth deserve something way cooler for their endless spells (like a tidal wave or giant tentacle beast).

I saw mention of an Idoneth 2.0 Battletome in some of the comments above but I don't think that is necessary or coming.  They came out right before Soulwars and have summoning techniques in line with the new methods.  Aside from endless spells specific to them, I don't see anything missing.  From Maggotkin forwards it seems that the tomes were written with AoS 2.0 in mind.

I am ok with not everyone needing endless spells/prayers to be honest.  Not the biggest fan of them.  I am finishing up the Black Coach for Night Haunts and then diving into painting my Idoneth next and hope they get some extra stuff but I kind of doubt they will... it was a pretty big release as it is.

I wonder how the dwarves are going to take the news that gold isn't important? At least one - Gotrek - might well not be too happy with the news!

Also it concerns me because it suggests that dragons might wind up without gold! If Gold has no value then it won't be minted into coins = what on the realms will dragons sleep on, hoard, fight for and steal if they don't have gold coins? This is a serious consideration - please people - think of the dragons! 

AoS + economics? Hell yeah! I know people joke about the whole "where is the farming" complaint, but IMO some of the most fun you can have with a fantastical, mythic world is to use it to frame something mundane. 

Isn't that kind of the appeal of something like Harry Potter, which translates the slog of boarding school through the lens of magic wonder?

The AoS RPG is gonna be great with this, hopefully. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Overread said:

I wonder how the dwarves are going to take the news that gold isn't important? At least one - Gotrek - might well not be too happy with the news!

Also it concerns me because it suggests that dragons might wind up without gold! If Gold has no value then it won't be minted into coins = what on the realms will dragons sleep on, hoard, fight for and steal if they don't have gold coins? This is a serious consideration - please people - think of the dragons! 

Ah nah son. Dragons sleeping on gold coins is so two thousand and old world that was.

dont you Know, age of Sigmar dragons sleep on a nice self heating bed of Ur-gold while under the covers of a nice fluffy aether-gold blanket? 

They got the gold game on lock!

9FE03BA0-9A32-4EBC-8C93-58A217207CCE.gif.c83cd7bb382d79f034fba797979bd96d.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Overread said:

If Gold has no value then it won't be minted into coins = what on the realms will dragons sleep on, hoard, fight for and steal if they don't have gold coins? This is a serious consideration - please people - think of the dragons! 

Warpstone sparks!

How do you think the hell pit abomination comes to existence😜.

13 hours ago, Overread said:

While gold may not have any intrinsic value  it'll also probably be the basis of any monetary systems in the realms, because a) it'll help with verisimilitude and b) because no one wants to carry two goats for a night out in the tavern. Imagine how messy change would be!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdamR said:

While gold may not have any intrinsic value  it'll also probably be the basis of any monetary systems in the realms, because a) it'll help with verisimilitude and b) because no one wants to carry two goats for a night out in the tavern. Imagine how messy change would be!

This is probably the case because the post also says Fyreslayers are paid in gold coins which some of which may or may not be made of Ur-gold.

I think that they mean "Gold is valuable, just not everywhere". Using gold as a currency starts to be a problem when new realmgate to golden part of Chamon is found. Probably merchants, bankers and miners guilds introduce new regulations like "you can only use gold mined in our realm to make purchases here". Maybe wizards can recognize the "Realm-dependant magical imprint" on them.

34 minutes ago, Johhny The Squid said:

So apparently at GAMA on Monday there's gonna be a reveal we "won't want to miss out on". Any idea what it could be?

I would love for them to show off exactly what Warcry is. I would be very surprised if we didn’t get a look at the new KO warband for underworlds sometime during the week. It looks like there will a few announcements coming out of the show.

gold coins would hold value because it is backed by the government that minted it which is backed by literal gods (like Sigmar) justt because massive amounts of gold are found doesn't mean gold coins won't be used, we after all use worthless paper as our money. gold has good advantages as a currency, its prity, it does not rust/decay and you can recycle it easily (meaning you can change the print to keep ahead of the counterfeit money) its only disadvantage over paper would be weight and (IRL rareity)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johhny The Squid said:

So apparently at GAMA on Monday there's gonna be a reveal we "won't want to miss out on". Any idea what it could be?

Currency and Stock Exchange rules supplement ala Malign Portents 

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Johhny The Squid said:

Mentions the "previewing the future of multiple Warhammer games."

Doesn't sound like something army related, or at the very least the prose is weird if their referring to AoS and 40k as Warhammer games. I'd imagine its more board games. Absolute best case scenario, in my opinion, would be Warcry. That's the only big teased release that I know fits the description. Hot on the heels of Vigilis reveals I can't imagine there'd be even more 40k. Whatever it is, I'd imagine it'll have a AoS focus!

Underworld killteams are also a great possibility

But hey, maybe it is more codex. We can dream haha