The Rumour Thread

16 minutes ago, Necroshadow said:

Well. It only took the stormcast a single edition to go from pristine condition to “I’ve seen some shenanigans” condition. 

I think it makes sense, because before they were fighting a crusade the enemy is clear and straightforward. But now? Death and Chaos are attacking from all angles, inside the cities via corruption and on the open field. The start of the crusade was the easy part, maintaining the cities and pushing back said forces is the hard part. Let's not also forget you have destruction rampaging around at the same time. 

• Like 2

I just hope that " touch of darkness to the Stormcast" is not something big that makes a change on the amy's narrative. I like the "good guys hiting chaos power metal" style more than some "good guys but with this part of darkness becouse we need that becouse...reasons"

• Like 5

The pace GW is releasing things is completely blowing me away. Both new Battletomes, for factions that get a large sized release each, one week after the new edition, with miniatures for both, including One of the centerpieces? Yeah, that I would not have believed it if told beforehand.

13 minutes ago, shinros said:

I think it makes sense, because before they were fighting a crusade the enemy is clear and straightforward. But now? Death and Chaos are attacking from all angles, inside the cities via corruption and on the open field. The start of the crusade was the easy part, maintaining the cities and pushing back said forces is the hard part. Let's not also forget you have destruction rampaging around at the same time. 

I will add that it took centuries from the beginning of the Realmgates Wars to the start of Malign Portents in setting. And if I read the Soulwars sample chapter correctly, it might be quite a long time between MP and the actual start of Soulwars as well.

Yes, it was only a short time for us, but the Stormcast have been hundreds of years nonestop at War and most have been subjected to reforging over and over by now.

• Like 5

I'm quite happy with the darker angle they're going for with the Stormcast; it's good to see them struggling. They may be very powerful, but it's not a very engaging narrative without a struggle. It seems like things are going badly with their reforging, so I hope they go into this a bit more - maybe with Stormcast that come out totally shattered and destructive, in need of being put down. 

Either way, I quite like the darker tone they're going with in AoS at the moment. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dragobeth said:

I just hope that " touch of darkness to the Stormcast" is not something big that makes a change on the amy's narrative. I like the "good guys hiting chaos power metal" style more than some "good guys but with this part of darkness becouse we need that becouse...reasons"

Agreed I was interested in AoS and stormcast for the good guy shining armor aspect.  It's like GW keeps changing everything I liked about AoS.

• Like 1

@chord Some of them were never good guys in shining armour to begin with (*cough, cough* Knights Excelsior). Don't get me wrong I also like just and honourable paladins, but after centuries of war no one is going to stay unscathed in body and mind. And people doesn't like too much, characters that are too pure and incorruptable - they like shades of grey.

@Fomorian I think we won't see Chaos Stormcasts, but rather more severe side effects of reforging as guardians of the process are now fighting on the front.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2018 at 10:08 PM, Fomorian said:

... so will Stormcasts become Chaos/Dark Stormcasts then? The picture within the Next Week preview suggests it very much ?!?!

Lorewise I believe chaos SC is not possible (something about the reforging taking anything that could provoke that irc), the picture looks like a mad/berserker like SC wich may be just a product of what's happening with the reforging after the necroquake and the Souls Wars novel.

Edited by Dragobeth
change "sSuls wars" for "soul wars"
  • Like 3

Damn, thats one pretty release. The Nighthaunters spells are far better than the SCE IMO, but both have absolutely stunning artworks. Those alone might make me buy both tomes....

The teased Darkness of the SCE probably wont be touch of chaos or better the Fall of sigmars golden freaks but maybe something akin to Blood Angles in 40k. might be, that we haven't seen all unites of the sacrosant chamber and we get a unit of damaged SCE that are rendered down to raw emotions, to unstable for everyday life but at least a useful tool for the  thickest of battles were only raw strength and madness are of use. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rogue Explorator said:

The pace GW is releasing things is completely blowing me away. Both new Battletomes, for factions that get a large sized release each, one week after the new edition, with miniatures for both, including One of the centerpieces? Yeah, that I would not have believed it if told beforehand.

I will add that it took centuries from the beginning of the Realmgates Wars to the start of Malign Portents in setting. And if I read the Soulwars sample chapter correctly, it might be quite a long time between MP and the actual start of Soulwars as well.

Yes, it was only a short time for us, but the Stormcast have been hundreds of years nonestop at War and most have been subjected to reforging over and over by now.

Yeah, I recall going by city of secrets it's been pretty much a whole generation since the realm gate wars. So over a century of fighting from the looks of it. 

Edited by shinros

16 minutes ago, Bloodmaster said:

The Nighthaunters spells are far better than the SCE IMO, but both have absolutely stunning artworks. Those alone might make me buy both tomes....

Hum... The NH spells give me a childish feel. I find the the Vault of souls interesting but a bit silly, the giant flying hour-glass a bit boring, and the flames on the Reaper way too small and regular, and an over sized scythe is a rather cartoony idea. I much prefer the rather similar pendulum. On the other I fund that the hammers tornado is fun, and the comet rather well done (but less fan of the arcanuum, too flat and more boring than the balewind vortex)

1. So much great, SIMULTANEOUS releases ! (hello Death Guard and Myphitic Blight Hauler)

2. Those covers arts ❤️❤️❤️ 

23 minutes ago, Bloodmaster said:

Damn, thats one pretty release. The Nighthaunters spells are far better than the SCE IMO, but both have absolutely stunning artworks. Those alone might make me buy both tomes....

The teased Darkness of the SCE probably wont be touch of chaos or better the Fall of sigmars golden freaks but maybe something akin to Blood Angles in 40k. might be, that we haven't seen all unites of the sacrosant chamber and we get a unit of damaged SCE that are rendered down to raw emotions, to unstable for everyday life but at least a useful tool for the  thickest of battles were only raw strength and madness are of use. 

3. I hope we'll get an upgrade sprues for the failed-reforging SCE !! @Fomorian the article says "We almost feel sorry for Chaos" under the rage crazy Stormcast artwork, so It's safe to say there are still """good""" guys but just totally mad (just like Blood Angels as @Bloodmaster said!).

4. @Rogue Explorator and @shinros yeah there is like 50 years of Realmgate Wars and 50 years of establishing new cities, leading to the Time Of Tribulation (it's from JR's Spear of Shadows) ; yet 100 year is quite enough for the SCE to become ragged veterans...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chord said:

Agreed I was interested in AoS and stormcast for the good guy shining armor aspect.  It's like GW keeps changing everything I liked about AoS.

Simple to fix. Just don't let your good guys die on the tabletop. ;o)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I kind of like the lean upstraight look of the cover art stormcast. Somehow stormcast miniatures always feel slightly bulky to me, making them look out of proportion, but it may just be me.

I really hope that robot human faction is a real thing that may come soon, because that would just be amazing :).

• Like 2

I get a saturday morning cartoon vibe from the nighthaunt spells, and not the horror vibe I would want from anything added to the death faction. AoS really feels like their most kid friendly game, a lot of this stuff would have looked way out of place in WHF. But oh well, just gotta pick and choose the stuff I do like I guess...maybe a good paintjob will save some of these.

• Like 5

everything is corruptible by chaos.

by adding this risk to the stormcast it forces them to be just and honourable rather than untouchable tyrants willing to slay a towns populace at the hint of chaos. 

it forces stormcast to have a soul.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chord said:

The fact that some Stormcast can take a darker turn legitimizes the virtue of your Stormcast which have remained totally pure.

I like it because Good is not always nice. Sometimes Good is downright scary.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kugane said:

I kind of like the lean upstraight look of the cover art stormcast. Somehow stormcast miniatures always feel slightly bulky to me, making them look out of proportion, but it may just be me.

Stormcast models are bulky - but honestly everything that GW sculpts tends to fall on the bulky side.  Most game miniatures tend to be bulky and it is partly due to material and sculpting design choices.  

Most humans have exaggerated proportions so that the materials can hold the detail, painters can paint it, and so they are durable enough to stand up to regular handling on the table.

Very few games use more regularly proportioned models as they tend to be very thin and spindly.

This means that for heroically scales games like GW games the artwork and the models diverge a bit in appearance since artists often make the subjects more appropriately proportioned.

I agree that the Stormcast art on the new cover looks very cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

everything is corruptible by chaos.

by adding this risk to the stormcast it forces them to be just and honourable rather than untouchable tyrants willing to slay a towns populace at the hint of chaos. 

it forces stormcast to have a soul.  

Stormcast can't be corrupted by chaos they detail that in novels. A GUO outright says he can't. The whole point of being a stormcast is that they rose above that and chosen to be a holy warrior.  While becoming a follower of chaos is giving into mortal weakness. 

What we are going to see is the after effects of too many reforgings imagine the knight's excelsior after several reforgings? People think the white reaper is bad? Oh boy.  The whole point is that stormcasts have souls but they are losing it to the conflict and becoming machines of war dedicated to sigmar due to the reforging issue. 

Edited by shinros
  • Like 6