The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Not a rumour, but as this is the closest thing to a 'general' thread we have this is probably best posted here. I'll defend the choice to post this as I argue that official statements from GW affects all of us regardless which toy line we like and most importantly this particular statement affirms the official line of TGA (and hopefully ensures this hobby stays open, diverse and without hate)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/19/the-imperium-is-driven-by-hate-warhammer-is-not/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Article&utm_campaign=Hate+group+response,+Nov+19

Thank you for sharing, it was important for Games Workshop to make this statement in light of recent events. But more broadly I think it is clear that Games Workshop needs to make this statement more apparent in general, as the messaging is often lost in their fiction and on their fandom.

Satire at it's most polemical often carries the largest burden. From Johnathan Swift's A Modest Proposal to The Colbert Report, there is always the possibility that people cannot differentiate satire from reality. I cannot understand how hate groups feel so utterly vindicated by a story and narrative designed specifically to criticize their specific beliefs, yet here we are. But I also think that burden falls on GW with things like the over representation and romanticism of Space Marines and the Imperium in their marketing, narratives and also within their actual releases.  But this is truly endemic to so many other fan cultures and geek spaces, but seems to be a larger issue within the Warhammer community than most.

Also a huge thanks to the mods on this site for being such lovely, positive and accepting people. They have really made this community a positive one and I am happy to be a part of it.

5 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Admech could be Ironweld left alone for a while, perhaps with a metal mage or two and an exiled Kharadron engineer. The jezails of the rangers don't look that far off the tech level of the Gyrocopter. The large amount of prosthetics might just be to patch up soldiers that came back from the war maimed.

My current artificer d&d character is made from a mix of Admech, Kharadron, Landsknecht missile troops, Necromunda, Freeguild, old Empire and even Bretonnian Bowmen parts

IMG_20211117_115455606.jpg

Wow this is amazing although I must confess I was thinking of simply starting one of those 40K armies for the sake of learning a new system and was being a little tongue in cheek. But if I had half your kitbash abilities, I would quickly grab the Ossiarch and Necron boxes and create Bone Construct Necrons and Chamon themed Ossiarchs... 

24 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

Unfortunately I can’t help you, @Neverchosen, cause I mostly have the opposite problem.

currently my two “main” armies are Hedonites and Gravelords/Tomb Kings duking it out in the heart of an ancient swamp.

While both factions would be boosted by the battle forces, I’m stuck with deciding how to work some of the units into the narrative.

my skeletal legions work with vampires, in fact there’s a knightly order dedicated to Khsar, god of the desert, named “The Order of the Red Sand” who serve him and him alone, to say nothing of the priestesses of Lunaghast, the Consort of Sekhubis. But I don’t have a place for the vengorian lord, and it’s bothering me cause it’s an awesome model!!!

the Hedonites are admittedly less of an issue, as no matter how I build the calvary and myrmidesh, I’ll have bits leftover that I can use to convert the Slaves to Darkness start collecting to the cause(or use on some of the Disciples of Tzeentch range I’m allying in to make them fit aesthetically). 

Though the ad-mech box still remains a problem, and my pile of shame is already decently large….

Thanks, your ideas are always a major source of inspiration and I truly love hearing more of your developing narrative. I am still planing on doing a more formal post on the narrative board about my own armies. But I am also trying to develop some overarching narrative for the surrounding regions alongside my friends. Namely I do not want my little narrative to feel like it exists entirely within a vacuum. Working right now on developing my friend's Tzeentch army and the idea of the Mortal Leader being a chronomancer as he uses a converted thousand sons lord as his general. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

A welcome (and given the recent events at that tournament in spain, necessary) statement.

One might wish that GW committed to the satire a bit more in their regular marketing material, not constantly talking up the "heroes of the Imperium" and such, but them making this statement is definitely better than staying silent on the matter.

I think this is in part because of the kind of in universe way they tell their stories but generally I agree with you.

40k seems to be waaaaay worse for this but Ive seen plenty use the 'satire' of warhammer as a retroactive justification rather than a specific intent, if that makes sense. GW could probably afford to be a bit more explicit some times.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

15 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

I think this is in part because of the kind of in universe way they tell their stories but generally I agree with you.

40k seems to be waaaaay worse for this but Ive seen plenty use the 'satire' of warhammer as a retroactive justification rather than a specific intent, if that makes sense. GW could probably afford to be a bit more explicit some times.

I like playing as the badies. (without needing to relate directly to anything IRL as a regime or a historical period etc.) There is not a lot of gaming stuff about being the baddie and trying to win. 

I just ignore the hero marketing nowadays but if they continue to pump out these kind of marketing they will have to address it with anti-fascist posts from time to time. which is exhausting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojojojo101 said:

It used to be a lot more obvious but around 3rd edition 40K they seemed to really lean into the grim darkness and left the satirical humor behind. It also doesn’t help their case that the Space Marines are consistently portrayed as heroes.

Having said that I don’t think it’s necessary for a company to take a moral or political stand. They obviously have every right to if they so choose but not for a second have I ever felt, and I can’t see how anyone could, that GW created these settings as a way to show a world that they would want to be a reality. It just seems silly that they would need to state that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vomikron said:

It used to be a lot more obvious but around 3rd edition 40K they seemed to really lean into the grim darkness and left the satirical humor behind. It also doesn’t help their case that the Space Marines are consistently portrayed as heroes.

Having said that I don’t think it’s necessary for a company to take a moral or political stand. They obviously have every right to if they so choose but not for a second have I ever felt, and I can’t see how anyone could, that GW created these settings as a way to show a world that they would want to be a reality. It just seems silly that they would need to state that.

Between the comments after the original incident made it's way to reddit, recent posts on out own beloved forum, and personal experience with an at times not so stellar local community, they may not HAVE to state it but it is the responsible thing to do and I respect it.

On the topic of rumors is there any indication that the US open will have any surprises for us?

• Like 6

Only saying as spanish,this happened in a spanish tournament but it is something supported only for the tournament organizers and that dude team,every spanish people is against this and is the reason that many players refused to play against this dude.

Many of us gave our opinion against this in their social media but these organizers are a little special(i dont call them the word that start with r and end with d). Per example in this tournament they had rules against piracy.......and they didnt let players use these copys(some players played with 500\1000 less points in their army). This is fine and are rules that people must follow,but the problem was that many other players could play with his pirate minis because they were bougth to a store that was a supporter of the tournament,so many players with pirated minis couldnt played but if you had pirated minis bougth in the "gante" store that was a support of the tournament then even if the rules says that you cant use pirated minis in the tournament you could do with zero problems.

So these organizers were the fault and it isnt a "spanish" tournament,is fault of the people of "invasion talavera" and "cobrador del wagg" who were the organizers of this disaster of tournament.

Ohh btw this same tournament where people paid 60€ to play had some tables without tapet and only playing in a table in the bar with almost no ligth where many old peoples coulnt play because they cant see,but these organizers wanted be the proud(as they have been stating in every social media) organizers of the biggest warhammer tournament even if people paid to play in tables with no ligth and with (im not joking) painttables or even foodcans!!! As scenary and withput even a tapet

• Like 3
  • Thanks 11

9 minutes ago, Doko said:

Only saying as spanish,this happened in a spanish tournament but it is something supported only for the tournament organizers and that dude team,every spanish people is against this and is the reason that many players refused to play against this dude.

Many of us gave our opinion against this in their social media but these organizers are a little special(i dont call them the word that start with r and end with d). Per example in this tournament they had rules against piracy.......and they didnt let players use these copys(some players played with 500\1000 less points in their army). This is fine and are rules that people must follow,but the problem was that many other players could play with his pirate minis because they were bougth to a store that was a supporter of the tournament,so many players with pirated minis couldnt played but if you had pirated minis bougth in the "gante" store that was a support of the tournament then even if the rules says that you cant use pirated minis in the tournament you could do with zero problems.

So these organizers were the fault and it isnt a "spanish" tournament,is fault of the people of "invasion talavera" and "cobrador del wagg" who were the organizers of this disaster of tournament.

Ohh btw this same tournament where people paid 60€ to play had some tables without tapet and only playing in a table in the bar with almost no ligth where many old peoples coulnt play because they cant see,but these organizers wanted be the proud(as they have been stating in every social media) organizers of the biggest warhammer tournament even if people paid to play in tables with no ligth and with (im not joking) painttables or even foodcans!!! As scenary and withput even a tapet

You don't need to make it about spanish people, pretty sure you can find people like that in most european nations. 

What bothers me more is certain spanish companies trying to teach me how to paint the gas chambers and 20 different dunkelgelb paintpots. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

I think that was a symbol for a Spanish fascistic group.

Yep, it is.

7 hours ago, Ratboy genius said:

some guy at a spanish tournament wore the white pride symbol, swastikas, and some arrow symbol i'm not familiar with to the tournament

I want to add some points here:

• It is completely legal to wear this kind of stuff in spain (I know, it sucks...).
  • The TOs (btw, 700 player's tournament) tried to convince him to change cloths because some players didn't want to play with him (people asked for an expel).
  • The "boy" politely declined the offer and argumented that if the org expeled him, he would call the police (discrimination or expeling for beliefs is discriminatory, so it could cause a lot of trouble and probably win the case if it ended up in the court).
  • One of the Tournament Rules was used to end the trouble: if any player don't play their game, the opponent win 20-0. Sadly, that was the only thing that the TO could legally do (and let's be honest, they didn't want to deal with this stuff...).

So, many players ignored and just "refused" to play with him. In the end, it was hard for the organizers, the community and for the hobby. I recently edited some Tournament rules, polishing some points and giving more power to the Org to stop or reject that type of people.

I completely understand why GW posted out this kind of stuff and I'm really grateful for that. Kudos!!!

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 9

Personally, applause to those people who refused to play the person. If you've paid EUR60 to attend, it's not a small thing to know you're ruining any chance of a victory, to make the protest - for me, that action is really commendable.

I hope that, in future, tournaments can find a way to legally include rules in the sign-up terms and conditions to enable/empower TOs to take a stand as well.

• Like 4

Ngl the part that excited me the most was:

"The Warhammer Studio has also been working on a Balance Update much like the recent Warhammer 40,000 Balance Dataslate. This is expected to land in December, with a focus on boosting units that currently aren’t seeing quite so much play on the tabletop."

That balance dataslate had some pretty big changes besides just messing with points. They limites flyers, how many non transport vehicles orks could bring, they gave a lot of necron units the core keyword. That could mean that big things could come for us too. Heck, maybe even some units could become battleline. Im excited.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Higolx said:

Ngl the part that excited me the most was:

"The Warhammer Studio has also been working on a Balance Update much like the recent Warhammer 40,000 Balance Dataslate. This is expected to land in December, with a focus on boosting units that currently aren’t seeing quite so much play on the tabletop."

That balance dataslate had some pretty big changes besides just messing with points. They limites flyers, how many non transport vehicles orks could bring, they gave a lot of necron units the core keyword. That could mean that big things could come for us too. Heck, maybe even some units could become battleline. Im excited.

Will we see the end of save stacking in this update? Place your bets now! (We won't.)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SlyRebirth said:

Personally, applause to those people who refused to play the person. If you've paid EUR60 to attend, it's not a small thing to know you're ruining any chance of a victory, to make the protest - for me, that action is really commendable.

I hope that, in future, tournaments can find a way to legally include rules in the sign-up terms and conditions to enable/empower TOs to take a stand as well.

Yeah, those players won 20-0 in my book!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'm glad they finally put out something making clear that 40k remains a cautionary satire. I just wish they had done more in the recent past to keep that clear; it's obvious to those of us who have been in the hobby a long time, but that's partially because it used to be so much clearer in the past that the Imperium were not the good guys. GW has spent the last decade or so making Space Marines into something approaching more generic heroes, and I've always said that was a very dangerous thing to do given the basic set-up of their universe, and so it has proven. I hope this heralds a return to 40k's roots, but I suspect it's more of a one-off PR statement (albeit a welcome one, don't get me wrong).

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Will we see the end of save stacking in this update? Place your bets now! (We won't.)

I hope they fix this,because its huge and they cant balance points id they dont fix the save stackimg first. Because units needeed of nerf now,maybe gonna be weaks when save stacking be nerfed

The thing that gives me hope about that is they said it's like the 40k one, which was about making datasheet changes, not points changes. That's absolutely what they need to do - cutting the points on bad stuff just raises the price of running a bad army, and in the end, your units are still bad. They need to be brave and actually deal with the problem issues, not just hand out points reductions to stuff that's bad. 

• Like 1