The Rumour Thread

not much reveal from the Skull event for AoS outside of the Warhammer quest expansion for Shadow under Hammerhal

the Frontier foundry game was a Grey Knight game and Nacon was Bloodbowl 3

the one game that got me excited was the Ork 2D shoota game

the two TW trailer didn't reveal much new stuff outside of Skarbrand and Skulltaker. but Beastmen get a DLC with brass bull

16 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

For example, maybe the Blissbringer in a unit of Fiends isn't specifically called a Champion because they can't talk/issue commands. 

I think the Blissbringer is capacitated to communicate with the other fiends, maybe even more than a mundane mortal that use words. And remember they only issue commands to their own units, is not like Fiends were talking to Chaos Warriors or whathever. (I bet something like a Fiend got a way to whip encourage friendly warriors into performing better anyway.)

I can see them removing champions from certain units in the future in the same way than banners, musicians and icons are slowly dissapearing (new slaanesh mortals only have champions as an example).

You still need heroes to issue commands into non-hero monsters and chariots.

I think inspiring presence will be reworked to be a buff to bravery but not an inmunity, and this may be a CA exclusive to heroes.

Edited by Yoid

There's got to be more to the getting 2CP for going second, or am I missing something?

When it comes to double-turns, I really only care about between Round 1 and 2.  So this new rule rewards me for taking the double-turn at the moment I want it most since later game things are usually engaged in combat or not there.  Heck, even if double-turns weren't there, I like going second as to draw out my opponent as my armies are slow and have no change of a charging otherwise.

I am just left utterly confused. I must be missing something.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

There's got to be more to the getting 2CP for going second, or am I missing something?

When it comes to double-turns, I really only care about between Round 1 and 2.  So this new rule rewards me for taking the double-turn at the moment I want it most since later game things are usually engaged in combat or not there.  Heck, even if double-turns weren't there, I like going second as to draw out my opponent as my armies are slow and have no change of a charging otherwise.

I am just left utterly confused. I must be missing something.

You get 1 for the general and also 1 normally and then 1 more if going second. All rumors so far say CP does not carry over between battle rounds, so the person going second will always be at a CP advantage, and as they generate at battleround start, they got them all ready to use.

In a lot of matches it is the round 2 to 3 double turn that is by far the most decisive, as currently players might already have blown a lot of the start CP, that will then change now.

With the new commands rumored as well, such as stand and shoot, retreat to charges etc, you might not want to take the double as that CP difference can mean a lot.

Taking the double turn in AoS 2.0 often means slamming down on an enemy starved for command points, while you just generated new resources. In AoS 3.0 this will be reversed with the CP reset, you will then have the initiative, but the oppoent will have more resources, plus anything else that might not have been shown yet. There was also rumors about battleplans having more stuff regarding going second, like Blades Edge currently works, where the player going second can remove objectives for example.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

8 monstruous rampage each charge phase seems crazy and fun. I just need some monsters for my KOs...

Maybe 3.0 will bring mechanical behemoths for the KO!! 

1 hour ago, Dreddships said:

A free 4 abilities a round seems extremely powerful, especially with where they are in the round. 

Gonna be interesting to see if the new battalions boost up monsters, because if so, can definitely see monster-focused armies becoming top tier.

It's gonna be interesting to see just how the new battleplans shape out - if we do shift to a more 'heroes and monsters are the new bread and butter', can see armies like Ogors, Gitz and Sons becoming absolute monsters. 

I'm not into the gaming side of the hobby but it pleases me greatly that monsters and especially the Sons can become top tier. The idea of hundred foot tall Gargants charging into enemy lines and smashing them apart is not only awesome but realistic, they shouldn't be stopped short by a unit of Freeguild.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how they expand this new hero/monster action system in battletomes

• New monster actions, like a Troggoth puking up bile to deal D3 mortal wounds to an enemy within 6", or a Magmadroth doing a tail whip to 
  • Add 1 to dice roll for Roar and Smash to Rubble
  • Generate D3 command points with Heroic Leadership instead of 1
  • This HERO can use two heroic actions per turn
  • This MONSTER can be selected to perform two rampages each phase
  • This MONSTER can always use stomp even if another monster used it
  • When this MONSTER uses stomp you can select two units instead of 1
  • This HERO can use Their Finest Hour twice per game
  • When this HERO uses Their Finest Hour they can reroll hit and wound rolls

What else do you think they could do with this system?

I think this will allow for some fun counter-play mechanics like assassins and rogues shutting down hero abilities, with poisons and precision strikes. Beast masters and sirens calming beast rampages. Duardin masons making terrain harder to destroy. Also with rules for unit champions giving out commands the abilities to target and slay single models will be much more desirable. I think that there are a lot of potential specialties that can be created just to combat these cool new rules. 

Essentially it provides a cool opportunity for new unit types and existing units to fill new potential niches. Even if nothing like this is introduced the units that are designed to combat monsters or take out heroes are already looking much more notable as unit choices. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, novakai said:

not much reveal from the Skull event for AoS outside of the Warhammer quest expansion for Shadow under Hammerhal

the Frontier foundry game was a Grey Knight game and Nacon was Bloodbowl 3

the one game that got me excited was the Ork 2D shoota game

the two TW trailer didn't reveal much new stuff outside of Skarbrand and Skulltaker. but Beastmen get a DLC with brass bull

Honestly Frontier need to sort out Elite so I suspect we will not hear anything for another year on the rts.

I wonder if it is related to the DawnBreaker Crusades and base building.

I would personally love AOS Total War tho.

24 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Maybe 3.0 will bring mechanical behemoths for the KO!! 

I hope so! maybe not a Montser, but something with the same interactions!

2 hours ago, Dreddships said:

A free 4 abilities a round seems extremely powerful, especially with where they are in the round. 

It gets better!

4 abilities each turn (1 charge phase for turn)! That means 8 abilities from your monsters alone in 1 round
imagine what will happen if the enemy has 4 other Big Dudes? 16 abilities each round!

LET THEM FIGHT!!!

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2

Just now, Beliman said:

I could imagine a tamed sky beast--I would love a massive flying cetacean that willingly allies with the Kharadron or a bound flying cephalopod with blades affixed to its tentacles. Of course both ideas work equally well for IDK so it might be a fight to see who gets the better sky based sea monsters. Maybe the whale fits the KO better as I think IDK do not seem partial to marine mammals. 

the 4th one is going to rely largely on how many and how strong defensible terrain is going to be in the new edition. That one can either be very situational to use, very tactical and common to use, or you just want to destroy terrain near you for the lulz since you have nothing better to do in the charge phase

23 minutes ago, Beliman said:

It gets better!

4 abilities each turn (1 charge phase for turn)! That means 8 abilities from your monsters alone in 1 round
imagine what will happen if the enemy has 4 other Big Dudes? 16 abilities each round!

LET THEM FIGHT!!!

I think it might make sense for them to get a similar rule for their boats. Would probably take a new codex for that to happen though.

My Sons army will be happy with this, a Gatebreaker being able to both use finest hour and duel at the same time to get +1 hit and +1 to wound will be so darn scary. The new command ability structure will also help armies which so far had poor access to CP generation and cheap/good battalions, which for the gargants for sure brings the Stomper tribe further up.

While I like these new rules some things are still "missing" but could still show up.

1. So far we have seen shooting rules and some new hero rules, none of these help out the suffering low wound support heroes on foot. I thought the new heroic abilities might be some incentive to bring more of the smaller cheaper heroes, with general getting more range and unit champion issuing commands, the smaller heroes got even less reason to be there. The few armies like Ironjawz relying so much on 5-6 wound foot slogging heroes seem to still be in trouble in the MW sniping meta.

2. This might appear in the objective rules or battle plans, but while extra abilities for monsters is cool, the reason monster work for Sons and Ogors is the model count rules. It makes no sense Archaon, a Stardrake or Kragnos should be unable to capture an objective because 2 freeguild guards are standing scared on the edge. In general monsters should probably be at 10 count if below 20 wounds and 20 count at 20 wounds+ models. Possibly this needed brackets, but so far it is what keeps SoB and Beastclaw ogor lists in the game, while a pure Stegadon monster Seraphon list is still a bad idea without painting up 50+ skinks to actually capture stuff.

3 hours ago, Yoid said:

He refers to 4 from you and 4 from your enemy. So 8 in total per charge phase.

They confirmed some of these rules will have additions in battletomes, so we may see extra monster rampages that allow more than 4 in some armies.

I just don't get, why you get access to the monstrous rampage in the oppenent's charge phase where you actually did not charge 🤔

I don't like that idea... 

21 minutes ago, keen said:

I just don't get, why you get access to the monstrous rampage in the oppenent's charge phase where you actually did not charge 🤔

Monstruos Rampage triggers in each charge phase but doesn't require a charge

In other words, end of Charge Phase is just the timing and has nothing to do if your Monsters made a charge or not.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, keen said:

I like it. From a fluff standpoint it makes sense to me that Monsters shouldn't just be an offensive tool - they are imposing figures like a HERO and should have more of an effect on the flow of battle than infantry or cavalry.

From a game flow perspective I like the additional interactivity in the opponents turn. It makes you use a MONSTER unit differently than you would an equivalently sized blob of infantry. Monsters should feel powerful and threatening, and not like an oversized and overcosted infantry model.

From a game balance perspective I think it encourages using less infantry blobs (which inherently benefit more from buff stacking and increased model count for zone denial and objecitve control) and pick more balanced armies so you can take advantage of all the special things MONSTER and HERO units can do.

It makes MONSTERs an interesting defensive choice to mitigate the impact of double turns.

Seems like a big win to me.

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

I could imagine a tamed sky beast--I would love a massive flying cetacean that willingly allies with the Kharadron or a bound flying cephalopod with blades affixed to its tentacles. Of course both ideas work equally well for IDK so it might be a fight to see who gets the better sky based sea monsters. Maybe the whale fits the KO better as I think IDK do not seem partial to marine mammals. 

Bismarck!?

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Acrozatarim said:

I suspect we'll see new monsters added to a number of armies this edition, to go with these monster abilities. Might see a new incarnation of some of the necrosphinx style creatures from Tomb Kings for Ossiarchs, for example.

As this edition has been dubbed "Age of the Beast," I think you may just be on to something there!

I really like the monster rules, and I'll be really excited to see the new monsters GW comes up with, and how they update the old ones!

1 minute ago, OkayestDM said:

As this edition has been dubbed "Age of the Beast," I think you may just be on to something there!

I really like the monster rules, and I'll be really excited to see the new monsters GW comes up with, and how they update the old ones!

Can already see the eventual Umbraneth release with some giant shadow creature! The Necrosphinx, more Dragons! Some crazy ork beasts and sigmas knows what else! 

7 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

1 hour ago, Acrozatarim said:

I suspect we'll see new monsters added to a number of armies this edition, to go with these monster abilities. Might see a new incarnation of some of the necrosphinx style creatures from Tomb Kings for Ossiarchs, for example.

New Monsters for every Faction would be amazing. I've always wanted either the Fyreslayers or the Firebelly Mawtribes to recieve a massive Magma Tortoise!! 

I've heard the Lumineth has a pachyderm unit, I'd love for the Elephant of AOS to go to Mawtribes but I would love to see the wacky spin on it the Lumineth would have. First Roos and now elephants!?

• LOVE IT! 1