The Rumour Thread

44 minutes ago, carnith said:

Assuming they want mortals and not daemons I think you can exclude slaanesh as they have 1 mortal unit. 

Yeah, as I said a couple of them are questionable. Generic STD seems like overkill, Slaanesh doesn't really feel doable as a stand-alone warband, (even if you include demons, that's what, Daemonettes and Hellstriders?) COS OTOH feels too big, unless it was broken down into subgroups and I just don't see them doing stuff like a Dispossessed warband right now, cool as that would be.

5 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I agree with you on the side note. I've never understood why people play Warhammer with the game itself as the biggest draw. The setting and models are far ahead of the game in terms of quality.

I don't think it's hard to understand why people like the game; a competitive community doesn't arise from people who all enjoy modeling and painting more than the game. AoS 1e had great models, but people generally had a negative reaction to it because of the game aspect. AoS 2e is doing really well and I don't think it's because 2e's models are leaps and bounds above 1e. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smartazjb0y said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but the end of the article doesn't seem to make much sense. 

Aren't both those describing the exact same thing? Not sure how "it works the other way around" 

I think it means slotting the StD units into an existing Blades of Khorne/Maggotkin/Hedonites/Disciples army alongside all their god-specific units vs. taking an entirely StD force and using the allegiance abilities, etc, from those battletomes as you like.

Ruleswise it's the same thing but from a marketing or army management POV, i.e. what can you buy, what can you do with these models, I can see how GW wants to make the difference clear. It's answering two different questions really: "can I add these to my existing monogod battletome force?" and "Can I run a fully StD force that uses monogod allegiance abilties?"

It's also cool to see that with the Auras, Marks now give StD heroes something more than a keyword change/occasional stat boost.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I think it means slotting the StD units into an existing Blades of Khorne/Maggotkin/Hedonites/Disciples army alongside all their god-specific units vs. taking an entirely StD force and using the allegiance abilities, etc, from those battletomes as you like.

Ruleswise it's the same thing but from a marketing or army management POV, i.e. what can you buy, what can you do with these models, I can see how GW wants to make the difference clear. It's answering two different questions really: "can I add these to my existing monogod battletome force?" and "Can I run a fully StD force that uses monogod allegiance abilties?"

Ah yeah I guess I see the distinction there, though I did get caught up on the rules being basically the same since it's just based on Mark of Chaos.

Wonder if that then means they're adding the Mark of Chaos trait to the Warcry Warbands then

Edited by smartazjb0y

1 minute ago, smartazjb0y said:

Ah yeah I guess I see the distinction there, though I did get caught up on the rules being basically the same since it's just based on Mark of Chaos.

Wonder if that then means they're adding the Mark of Chaos trait to the Warcry Warbands then

The difference is only if you take like your whole StD army and play them as Nurgle Alligience, or if you add up a Lord of Chaos to your existing Nurgle Force. Nothing new here but still a great feature of out guys :)

Cultists getting Marks would be neat actually.

• Like 1

Okay. It's great. I'm in. The four "types" of allegiance abilities looks promising. Notably the Dark Prophecy ability from the old "Overlords of Chaos" battalion for the Everchosen. 

At least my disappointment with the SC! not heralding (yet....) multipart plastic kits is totally washed away by this article (how weak minded am I :P). 

I love the look of that really, really modular and flexible of a faction !

No, seriously, the fact the Maraudeurs are still here made the prospect of conversions from the tons of Chaos kits existing or soon to be released way more entraining. Also the presence of the Chaos Monsters from the old range and Warcry ❤️

So, Marauders, Marauder Horsemen and Exalted Hero are confirmed to still be around and the Soulgrinder is the last unaligned demon confirmed to be a Slaves unit. I think at this point the Lord on Daemonic Mount is the only unit with a chance to be axed?

Allegiance abilities look flavorful, I'm quite fond of the heroes being placed front and center in particular, it's a nice nod how central Chaos Champions are in the lore of Chaos. Random eye os the gods is a must, though I get why more competitive types aren't to fond of it.

Also fond of the more generic subfactions, leaves a lot of creative space for the players and aknowledges that these forces are incredibly varied.

All in all, it looks good to me, no idea if its strong and will be competitive though, that's not really my field of interest.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mutton said:

We gonna talk about how incredible Dark Prophecy is? I might be so bold to say it's the single most potent ability in AoS.

As said in the article it's not new, it's from the old Everchosen Battletome, but yeah it's really good !

Archaon beats Katarkos hands down at that little "strategy" thing ;) 

• Like 1

As a huge lover of the StD range and chaos in general if they can get a book close to Gloomspite Gitz with everything at an ok playable level with a few good combos I am going to even more happy than knowing 40 CMs that I haven't finished are still very usable in the ravagers allegiance.

It's starting to look alit like Christmas..... 😝😂😝 Can you tell I'm hyped.!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, madmac said:

15, Hmmm...

Death: Bone Reapers

Destruction: Mawtribes

Order: Sylvaneth, Fyreslayers, KO, Seraphon, COS(?)

Chaos: 4 Chaos Gods, STD, Skaven, Beastmen, Spyre Tyrants, Firedudes

That gets me to 16, though some of those are questionable. I wonder if any not-yet-released factions are included in that count. I guess we'll know soon enough.

I think we can easily rule out Slaves and in my opinion even Spyre Tyrants and Aqshy as they were already previewed in the Core book although it could be left to both interpretations. In all of this I believe Cities will actually be divided in one or more factions, maybe Aelves, Duardins and Humans.

For the future they could add more random creatures, but I doubt a game can survive only with small additions. If they do a season thing like Warhammer Underworld they will add next year more warbands with more models. At least my opinion.

42 minutes ago, zamerion said:

seeing that  tyrants are in the chaos battletome, Do you think scions of the flame will be too?

there is an exhibition this weekend and they could show it:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/01/upcoming-events-and-conventions/

be inspired by cabinets packed full of incredible models, including some unreleased ones!

I would be suprised as it is no studio preview there. Yet, it would be the perfect timing to announce all that models yet to come that have rules in the tome as the reviews from the content creators will come online the same day.

• Like 1

I'm liking the rule previews so far. Ravagers look extremely flexible and interesting to play, and the everchosen looks really strong. I guess it makes sense since taking Archaon means you don't get a command trait, so this ability has to cover the usual power from that as well. It does reinforce the likelihood that Archaon probably won't see many personal buffs, likely just huge strength from allegiance abilities. 

2 hours ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

Seems susceptible to cheating.

It used to be hidden behind a 220pt battalion (most expensive non-mega battalion in AOS?) with a minimum army cost of 1320... it wasn't a problem before, presumably because it never saw the tabletop at a competitive event. 

But, yeah it seems super strong. You're basically eliminating any disadvantage of the priority roll for the chaos player. You know your double turn is coming, and can be appropriately aggressive or you know your opponent is getting it, so you can pull back or be defensive.
It does cost a command point so that's something I guess..... 

The opponent doesn't even get to chose to pass priority to you. You can't either but that's hardly a downside with the foreknowledge.  

finally... what happens in a mirror match if both players use this ability? does the later one simply overwrite the first one? 

The practicality of it also bothers me. , how do you roll it, keep it secret and make sure no one cheats? maybe a dice cup and leave it covered? But I feel that has to be properly policed/mandated coz it's such a critical roll and has such a significant impact on the game. 
It's a lot of extra bookkeeping or equipment required to try and do something secret fairly. 

1 hour ago, Inquisitorsz said:

It used to be hidden behind a 220pt battalion (most expensive non-mega battalion in AOS?) with a minimum army cost of 1320... it wasn't a problem before, presumably because it never saw the tabletop at a competitive event. 

But, yeah it seems super strong. You're basically eliminating any disadvantage of the priority roll for the chaos player. You know your double turn is coming, and can be appropriately aggressive or you know your opponent is getting it, so you can pull back or be defensive.
It does cost a command point so that's something I guess..... 

The opponent doesn't even get to chose to pass priority to you. You can't either but that's hardly a downside with the foreknowledge.  

finally... what happens in a mirror match if both players use this ability? does the later one simply overwrite the first one? 

The practicality of it also bothers me. , how do you roll it, keep it secret and make sure no one cheats? maybe a dice cup and leave it covered? But I feel that has to be properly policed/mandated coz it's such a critical roll and has such a significant impact on the game. 
It's a lot of extra bookkeeping or equipment required to try and do something secret fairly. 

Take a photo of the dice? Then just show it to your opponent when you reveal it? Doesn’t seem too hard doing it that way.

9 minutes ago, Luck-a said:

Take a photo of the dice? Then just show it to your opponent when you reveal it? Doesn’t seem too hard doing it that way.

Yeah photo is probably the best, but then you're doing it every turn so your gallery is gonna fill up with photos of single dice rolls. You're going to need to time stamp them or something? 
Maybe each dice needs to hold today's newspaper. You might need a token next to it to show which turn it is? 

I'm being pedantic but it's just a silly requirement that adds a lot of extra annoying steps. People already don't like using phones or carrying around extra unnecessary equipment. It's silly for a game rule to require all this extra bookkeeping outside of the normal game. 

On a practical level it's probably ok especially if you trust your opponent. On a theoretical and high end competitive level it's a really stupid rule. 
Really though, the strength of it is the bigger issue here than how to keep a dice roll secret. 

Edited by Inquisitorsz
  • Like 1