The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, michu said:

Unfortunately yes.

Hopefully they will learn from this and move book production back to the UK as well.

GW is a UK manufacturing success story they don’t need to outsource to China. Saving a few pence per unit but being at the mercy of customs and international shipping is not a great trade.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

You sure?  My vote was on StD/everchosen 😕

Not 100% but I think we are unlikely to see the new Slaves to Darkness book until next year,  after all the warcry warbands are out. Keeping the allegiance abilities in the ghb also suggests they are still a few months away.

The lack of points changes for gutbusters and bonesplittas suggests they are out pretty soon. 

1 hour ago, Charles said:

Saving a few pence per unit but being at the mercy of customs and international shipping is not a great trade.

As someone who worked in an industry that outsourced manufacturing to different countries for some parts, you might be surprised just how big the difference is in cost, even taking customs and shipping into account. There's a reason the practice is so prevalent. But yeah, it would be great to have it made in the UK, especially with certain impending political events in our future that I won't go into here for the sake of preserving a welcoming, positive atmosphere :D

• Like 5

Also don't forget that the UK site is still under heavy production stress to keep up with demand. Using China to produce terrian and endless spells for mini-big launches of battletomes when the hardbacks already come from there is a very sensible approach. It lets GW pump out more content without affecting their core production facilities who likely get slammed each time iwth a big surge for whatever army is getting the new Tome anyway. 

I figure once their new factory comes online and is running they can easily shift the moulds over from china to continue in-house production of them if they wish; which would leave cards and books in China. 

And yeah I think we pretty much expected that with Forbidden Powers and Warcry and also now Apoc, the middle of the year was going to be full of those releases. Plus there was Contrast paints too - so its a very full very busy very big period. A little gap in the Battletomes appears sensible, it just feels worse because Sylvanath got delayed and we know that its all there in a box waiting to be sent to GW. Be nice if they could give us an update on the situation and any details (surprised we've not heard of any then again I guess no one online on the big sites is in the shipping/trade line of work)

18 hours ago, HollowHills said:

These seems unlikely. As far as I'm aware GW pretty much continue selling stock until right before the new version goes on pre-order.  Other than sylvaneth it's highly unlikely we'll see any AoS release prior to the open day in just over a month. 

While KO definitely need a new book, and are a decent candidate for an order release, I don't see idoneth. 

They could benefit from a new book, but it would be fairly unprecedented for GW to release a new book so fast. 

19 hours ago, Kitsumy said:

even as idoneth player who would love to see a new tome with usables relycs.command thraiths. more than 1 ultra niche command ability etc. 

We dont deserve a new tome till 1 year more minimun. There are tons of army of dire need before us. Like disspossed. High elfs( they exist despite gw dont remember it). Wood elves. Dark elves. Etc and even new ones like ironjaws.seraphons.bonesplitter etc.

So are or ur stowe owner joking or is this true??

No jokes, I guess the GW guy slipped up and said that KO, ID and Seraphon were all getting updates soon. But hey this is second hand info from a GW rep. Might as well be a “my uncle works at Nintendo” level of rumour. 

But he still said it!

22 hours ago, TristanGray said:

My local store can’t get in the KO or Idoneth battletomes anymore because they’re being “updated”. Helllo!

20 hours ago, Kitsumy said:

even as idoneth player who would love to see a new tome with usables relycs.command thraiths. more than 1 ultra niche command ability etc. 

We dont deserve a new tome till 1 year more minimun. There are tons of army of dire need before us. Like disspossed. High elfs( they exist despite gw dont remember it). Wood elves. Dark elves. Etc and even new ones like ironjaws.seraphons.bonesplitter etc.

I don't think that the store owner is joking, but they do not have access to this kind of information and are usually speculating and often confused.  Honestly I think the people in this thread have a better since of what is going on than most store managers. 

Idoneth was the FOURTH tome designed with 2.0 in mind. They are very unlikely to be updated anytime in the near future. 

2 hours ago, Charles said:

Hopefully they will learn from this and move book production back to the UK as well.

GW is a UK manufacturing success story they don’t need to outsource to China. Saving a few pence per unit but being at the mercy of customs and international shipping is not a great trade.

If it was just a few pennies per book, and if the shipping costs were too much, they would not be doing it this way. They must be realizing significant profit increases by using China or they wouldn't be doing it.

BTW, speaking of business stuff - To all my fellow GW stock owners, a toast! Here's to contrast paints! 😁

Edited by Sleboda

20 hours ago, Kitsumy said:

Maybe a Warscroll rework?

4 hours ago, Dirtnaps said:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the Sylvaneth battletome hold up was effecting other battletome releases as well.

they've been hyping the general's handbook, but I thought all the books were printed in China anyway. If that's true the GHB might be delayed also, as well as the apocalypse books...

5 hours ago, eciu said:

So Sylvaneth are still being hold hostage by border and tax officers ?

How is customs holding up releasing the Online/Azur/PDF versions.?

Holding up full Azur release - if ‘they’ ‘can’ is a self inflicted income loss.  Can’t make money on what’s not there, for God’s sake release for download!  

Release for Azur means a couple more people download Azur.  That’s money.  We pay for the PDF, that’s money.  We buy models with the interest, that’s money.  Because most of us are OCD completists we’ll buy the book when it’s on the shelf.

57 minutes ago, overtninja said:

they've been hyping the general's handbook, but I thought all the books were printed in China anyway. If that's true the GHB might be delayed also, as well as the apocalypse books...

Paperback books are generally produced in the UK and hardcover books in China.  One benefit of this (and the reason we see paperback books replacing sold out hardback ones) is that GW have a much lower minimum order on paperback books.

22 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Holding up full Azur release - if ‘they’ ‘can’ is a self inflicted income loss.  Can’t make money on what’s not there, for God’s sake release for download!  

Release for Azur means a couple more people download Azur.  That’s money.  We pay for the PDF, that’s money.  We buy models with the interest, that’s money.  Because most of us are OCD completists we’ll buy the book when it’s on the shelf.

Because of various trade agreements, GW isn't has to release everything for sale all at once.  It's why we no-longer see advance orders for any of the plastic models/books at events like Fest.  I also think it'd cause a nightmare for anybody wanting to run an event!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, overtninja said:

They wouldn't offer them for pre-order if they were delayed. If you can pre-order them you can be pretty much sure they have the books and they probably have already been shipped to the retailers. One shipment being stuck in custom doesn't mean that they all are, it really depends on why it's stuck, and we don't know that.

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

Because they want to release both version (printed and digital) at the same time. Otherwise some people will complain that it's unfair because either they can't access the digital version, or they'd have to buy it twice if they want the printed version but also not be stuck with the old rules in the meanwhile. It's also easier to handle on the marketing side: they don't have to hype the same product twice.

Funny thing is that the shipment might have already been released but they're just waiting for a free slot in the very busy summer release schedule.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, novakai said:

I guess no one posted the store annivarsary model yet.

StoreAnniversary-Jun18-LarissaShadowstalker2hd.jpg.38bc49e9616c3183ab053d46be2294fd.jpg

As interesting as the model looks, I was definitely hoping for another army to get a cool model.  Does Stormcast really need yet another model?  I also think the same with, yet another, Space Marine model.  It's too bad they don't seem to care about other armies when it comes to special events these days.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 3

16 minutes ago, the_master288 said:

t's too bad they don't seem to care about other armies when it comes to special events these days.

Personally I'd say it's because these models are never really wholly about appearing on tabletops, sure they have rules and can be worth having (Guardian of Souls I'm looking at you) but really they're just interesting alt models to collect & paint. With that in mind, to me, it makes perfect sense for them to normally be of the most generic factions and normally fairly low-level characters and/or remarkably un-super powered in regards to rules (looking at you, Gorkarr, a bladegheist whose only special ability is making you recoil in abject terror when you remember how much you paid for him).

Make them too powerful and the hilariously petulant fanbase would (actually for once rightfully) complain that it's not fair such an auto-include model is only available to select people I'm even more sure that if they made these one off very hard to get hold of models for factions that are generally/desperately in need of new models then people would lose their ****** even more that...

"I haven't had any new models for years and now the only one they've made is limited edition and not generally available and this is a slap in the face, oh woe is me, games workshop hates me and they don't know how to run a company or make rules or do anything at all, ever. worst company in the world. booohooo hooo."

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

Thats the history of 40k with marines and now aos with golden marines(stormcast)

They get the 75% of the time and resources of gw with 500% the models that others armys and every starter box or aniversary must have marines and stormcast.

Thats the reason that many people "hate" marines and stormcast,not due to the models per se,but due to the atention above others armys that they get

Myself have 1700 points of stormcast that i got at the release of aos and i havent played with them in 2 years because i "hate" them now.

It would be great if next year's model was a mercenary hero, so that anyone could include it in their narrative games if they wanted to. Not sure what the lead time is on model designs though, it might have to be the year after next.

Edited by Dreadmund
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Personally I'd say it's because these models are never really wholly about appearing on tabletops, sure they have rules and can be worth having (Guardian of Souls I'm looking at you) but really they're just interesting alt models to collect & paint. With that in mind, to me, it makes perfect sense for them to normally be of the most generic factions and normally fairly low-level characters and/or remarkably un-super powered in regards to rules (looking at you, Gorkarr, a bladegheist whose only special ability is making you recoil in abject terror when you remember how much you paid for him).

Make them too powerful and the hilariously petulant fanbase would (actually for once rightfully) complain that it's not fair such an auto-include model is only available to select people I'm even more sure that if they made these one off very hard to get hold of models for factions that are generally/desperately in need of new models then people would lose their ****** even more that...

"I haven't had any new models for years and now the only one they've made is limited edition and not generally available and this is a slap in the face, oh woe is me, games workshop hates me and they don't know how to run a company or make rules or do anything at all, ever. worst company in the world. booohooo hooo."

Very good points made, however, my point still stands.  GW has the ability to make literally any model they want for any army and they choose to make a Stormcast model.  I understand that they want to have something with the "most appeal" for the Store Celebration, but I mean, come on GW.  There's so many cool things that they could do for so many other armies.

6 minutes ago, prochuvi said:

Thats the history of 40k with marines and now aos with golden marines(stormcast)

They get the 75% of the time and resources of gw with 500% the models that others armys and every starter box or aniversary must have marines and stormcast.

Thats the reason that many people "hate" marines and stormcast,not due to the models per se,but due to the atention above others armys that they get

Myself have 1700 points of stormcast that i got at the release of aos and i havent played with them in 2 years because i "hate" them now.

Yeah, I hear ya.  I also have around 1500 points, if not more of Stormcast, and while they're neat, I'm just love seeing models for other armies that shake up the visuals of those armies.  This is especially true for armies that don't have a huge assortment of models (looking at you Ironjawz).

5 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

It would be great if next year's model was a mercenary hero, so that anyone could include it in their narrative games if they wanted to. Not sure what the lead time is on model designs though, it might have to be the year after next.

This would be really cool, in my opinion.  I could see this doing really well, especially if GW really pushes the concept of the mercenaries.

11 minutes ago, the_master288 said:

This is especially true for armies that don't have a huge assortment of models (looking at you Ironjawz).

Seriously though can you imagine the sheer OUTRAGE if GW announced...

'oh here's a really cool new Fyreslayer to Ironjawz hero, amazing sculpt, nice little story behind him and some cool rules, I know you've been desperate for new models so enjoy! oh yes one small thing it's literally only available to buy for just one day a year in each physical shop, and that day is different for every shop and might not be for 11 months for you. oh yes and it'll be pretty limited too so there's every chance your store might only get a couple. HAVE FUN!'

I like to think of myself as pretty level headed and I was mildly peeved when my local shop (Bruxelles) didn't have any ltd models available on their store birthday back in May. We would be able to solve the world's energy crisis with the amount of blind rage that would be unleashed worldwide at this.

EDIT: Actually the more I think about this, the more I realise that it would be hilariously funny to watch. So yeah count me in, GW please make the next store anniversary a Dispossed Wizard. cheers!

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JPjr said:

Seriously though can you imagine the sheer OUTRAGE if GW announced...

'oh here's a really cool new Fyreslayer to Ironjawz hero, amazing sculpt, nice little story behind him and some cool rules, I know you've been desperate for new models so enjoy! oh yes one small thing it's literally only available to buy for just one day a year in each physical shop, and that day is different for every shop and might not be for 11 months for you. oh yes and it'll be pretty limited too so there's every chance your store might only get a couple. HAVE FUN!'

I like to think of myself as pretty level headed and I was mildly peeved when my local shop (Bruxelles) didn't have any ltd models available on their store birthday back in May. We would be able to solve the world's energy crisis with the amount of blind rage that would be unleashed worldwide at this.

Haha, this is unfortunately very true...  It's definitely disappointing, but yeah, you're right.

They could always just make a unique model that has the exact same rules as an already existing unit.  It would be cool just to see some form of model variety.

47 minutes ago, JPjr said:

They may not have had any left in stock there and then but you can order them on the day when the shop runs out and they'll arrive a week or two later!

1 hour ago, JPjr said:

I agree a limited edition new crazy warscroll is absurd.  However, there's no reason that they can't be more creative with their faction and unit  choice than this... It could sound like we are being nitpicky but if you look at the last model release....

Image result for limited edition stormcast model anniversary

Seem familiar? Enough said with that pic, imo...