AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 2/29/2020 at 1:00 PM, Hannibal said:

I agree.

On the other hand I pretty like the GUO with bell. That +2" to movement is golden. With all shenanigans pulled out of your hat you´re able to alpha strike first turn with a lot of models right now (Daemon Princes, Knights, Varanguard, Soulgrinders, Marauders,...). Over there on the beastmen topic they often talk about how crucial movement and board control is for your beastmen playstyle. They also talk about lack of damage potential with beastmen. IMO it´s the same with Nurgle. I guess we have to use our movement shenanigans and all tools to improve resilience to win battles.

But I´m still new to that faction and the game overall, maybe I´m wrong.

Btw, I used a Soulgrinder in my last match and it is a cool piece, thgough I´m somewhat dissapointed by it´s damage output. Casted the Chaos Sorcerer Lords signature spell on it (rerolls to wounds and to hit) and GUOs CA, but it couldn´t impress me less. On the other hand, watching a big monster flying across the table in turn 1 to pin parts of the opposing forces was nice. Really liked it.

Well, after the game I did the math and 20 Marauders (150 pts) will be better in this role than the soulgrinder (210). REasons are:

- small based => easier to manoeuvre

- better resilience (both offer 4+ save, but Marauders offer more wounds), except for mass destruction spells. And can be buffed by Chaos Sorcerer Lord (rerolls to save)

- way higher damage output

It seems to be the bane of almost all chaos units right now: Marauders simply buffed by a Chaos Sorcerer Lord outshine almost every single chaos unit out there.

Aren't Marauders 5+, with their shield? They can run away, too.

18 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Went to Dutch AOS GT with thricefold.  14th place out of 40 players, not to shabby...to be honest I’m quitte content with the result.

hope this link still works   https://punpun.nl/t/8-aos-dutch-grand-tournament  All lists, rankings, rounds are visible.

Really fun event had a great time...

Can you provide a breakdown of your games? Can't really get much info from the link. I've been interested in taking my Thricefold list for a spin but there's a ton of OBR in my local meta and I just don't see Thricefold doing anything other than dying horribly against them (Arkhan shuts down spellcasting+ Mortek Guard just murdering and tanking everything).

53 minutes ago, tomcabator15 said:

I'm planning on using this army with the minis I have. Are there any changes that could help the list?

Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 15.27.23.png

Ruinbringer WArband cannot be used in Nurgle Allegiance, at least not within a 2000 pts limit, because it counts (and all units in it) as an ally and therefore is way too many points spent in allies.

Go and get the Nurgle Battalion...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fluxlord said:

Went to Dutch AOS GT with thricefold.  14th place out of 40 players, not to shabby...to be honest I’m quitte content with the result.

hope this link still works   https://punpun.nl/t/8-aos-dutch-grand-tournament  All lists, rankings, rounds are visible.

Really fun event had a great time...

I've looked at your list and I wonder why you didn't take the Umbral Spellportal. Seems like the biggest combo with the 3D3 MW Plague Wind.

3 hours ago, Forrix said:

Can you provide a breakdown of your games? Can't really get much info from the link. I've been interested in taking my Thricefold list for a spin but there's a ton of OBR in my local meta and I just don't see Thricefold doing anything other than dying horribly against them (Arkhan shuts down spellcasting+ Mortek Guard just murdering and tanking everything).

When I have some time I will write down what armies I faced. But indeed against magic heavy lists it might not work that well. But you probably will not be playin against OBR all the time...

1 hour ago, Peegee said:

I've looked at your list and I wonder why you didn't take the Umbral Spellportal. Seems like the biggest combo with the 3D3 MW Plague Wind.

I have used that in the past, and it greatly improves the range of plaguewind. But I find it hampers my mobility to much, you have to stay real close to one of the portals and i dont want to cast and dispell the whole time. I still play this list defensively and the three boys in the nurgle triangle formation..but I want to move them around and at one point maybe spread them out of each other, late game.

Hi all, looking for feedback on 2 similar 1000 pt lists, am I going to light on bodies? Or should I be including at least 1 unit of Marauders? Thanks

List 1

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Hulking Physique
- Artefact: Rustfang
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Artefact: The Witherstave
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (140)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 82

List 2

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Lord of Blights (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Hulking Physique
Sorcerer (120)
- Artefact: Muttergrub
- Lore of Foulness: Cloying Quagmire

Battleline

Units
1 x Chaos Chariots (120)
- Greatblades

Battalions
Blight Cyst (140)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 80

21 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Ruinbringer WArband cannot be used in Nurgle Allegiance, at least not within a 2000 pts limit, because it counts (and all units in it) as an ally and therefore is way too many points spent in allies.

Go and get the Nurgle Battalion...

That's sad :( Time to rethink the whole list. Thanks!

Edited by tomcabator15

Current idea for a fun list - 

- Host of Chaos: Blessed Sons

Leaders
Epidemius Tallyman of Nurgle (200)
Fecula Flyblown (180)
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Foul Conqueror
- Artefact: Blotshell Bileplate
Lord of Blights (140)

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)

Units
2 x The Wurmspat (0)

Battalions
Blight Cyst (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 162

Should be a 3 drop as Fecula is a sorcerer. She's pretty resilient with her two bodyguards too! Epidemius because I've never played with him and never seen him on a table, and if I can get the 21 model kill count, RR 1s on hits and wounds across the table with BKs should be great. 

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

Should be a 3 drop as Fecula is a sorcerer

Sorry, but although she has the Sorcerer keyword, the Blight Cyst Battalion doesn't have that term bolded which means that she can't be used in place of a Sorcerer for the battalion. So unfortunately it's a 4 drop list.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I’m tinkering with extra models to run my Beasts of Chaos as all the god armies.  With the Pesilent Throng full of 3x10 Gors and then Bullgors, what else for Nurgle models might I need?  I am thinking a GUO with bell and flail as getting the extra movement plus run and charge withe gnarlmaw is pure brown gold for Bullgors isn’t it?

Not sure if I should bother with a bray shaman or shaggoth in the throng though as it seems the god tome spells all say ‘mortal ‘ or ‘daemon’ and The Beasts are neither.  

14 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Not sure if I should bother with a bray shaman or shaggoth in the throng though as it seems the god tome spells all say ‘mortal ‘ or ‘daemon’ and The Beasts are neither.  

A bray shaman speeds up all your Brayherd units, though that is minor benefit if you like to run warherd units. In addition a bray shaman is able to cast a lot of good endless spells like the taurus.

After a short break from AoS I am back in the game since a month. I was exited to try our new Hosts of Chaos. My first game was with the blessed sons, blight cyst and 25 Blightkings VS iron Jaws, I lost but it was a close game, the host ability was a nice bonus but nothing more. My next try with a deamon army and Munificent Wanderers Host vs a big Nighthaunt army was way better. The dmg reflection is a cool effective mechanic, staying 12 inch wholly within your general is sometimes difficult but worth it. Minus 1 Rend for all demons is actually a fantastic bonus that gives Nurgle the resilience it needed. This is my current list. The plan is to either save up summoning points for Drones or to summon 5 Plaguebearers each round somewhere 12 inch to your general as some nasty roadspikes. 

- Host of Chaos: Munificent Wanderers
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Great Unclean One (340)
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Horticulous Slimux (220)
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Fecula Flyblown (180) Bladesofputrefaction
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)
6 x Plague Drones (400)
2 x The Wurmspat (0)
Tallyband of Nurgle (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 124

On 2/29/2020 at 7:00 AM, Hannibal said:

Btw, I used a Soulgrinder in my last match and it is a cool piece, thgough I´m somewhat dissapointed by it´s damage output. Casted the Chaos Sorcerer Lords signature spell on it (rerolls to wounds and to hit) and GUOs CA, but it couldn´t impress me less. On the other hand, watching a big monster flying across the table in turn 1 to pin parts of the opposing forces was nice. Really liked it.

You cannot cast that spell on the soul grinder because he isn’t a mortal. Or else a soul grinder would make it into every one of my lists

I went to my first tournament at the weekend - I went 2:3 and finished 19/36. I took Blessed Sons Blight Cyst with LoB, HoD, Festus, Gutrot and 40 Blightkings.

Knife to the Heart - Gloomspite Gitz (Squigalanche) - minor loss

Starstrike - KO - major win

Battle for the Pass - Ogor Mawtribes - major win

Shifting Objectives - Tzeentch (Changehost) - major loss

Places of Arcane Power - Khorne (Baleful Lords) - major loss

First game I planned to get the minor win but made some mistakes - confident that I could have beat the Squigalanche if I played a bit smarter but the other guy really knew how to use his Manglers. Second game KO went first, flew up into the sky with two Ironclads, landing 9" away from my front line and began a looong shooting phase - the Blightkings weathered the storm though and after that initial shooting phase I was able to take control of things. Third game I wiped out the entire Ogor army at start of turn 4, I think first few turns he really got worn down by the Blessed Sons MW on 2+. Game 4 I had no chance against the Changehost - first turn he took the centre of the battlefield, screening a lot of flamers with 20 Pink Horrors that I just couldn't chop through in time - while each turn he was pretty much flaming a unit of 10 Blightkings per turn - no matter how many times I would replay that battle I think there is no way I could win! 5th game was against 5 Bloodthirsters on Places of Arcane Power, so I knew it was game over and just tried to max on secondaries - on another scenario though I think I would have had a chance, but when all 5 Bloodthirsters activate together its rough!

Overall, the games I won it was thanks to the BKs being able to weather the storm, but the army did lack some punch and was noticeably an anvil with no hammer. I am wondering if a Drowned Men Afflection Cyst would be competitive, with either a 10-20 chunk of BKs at the home objective (or 30 PBs with this heavy shooting meta)? I have a warshrine and some marauders though, so maybe I should get a Glottkin!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grim Stone said:

Hi All,

Im just getting back in to AoS, Ever a dedicated son of Nurgle.
This maybe a stupid question with an a obvious answer. 
Can Anything with a mark of Nurgle be used in a Maggot Kin Army? i.e Clan Pestilence gubbins.

Yes, you can also include units like Chaos Warriors with Mark of Nurgle

Hey, what do you think of this army for 1000 points games (simple and doubles) ?

Obviously it's an army that plays, and tries to win matches by sitting on the objectives.

- Host of Chaos: Munificent Wanderers

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Command Trait: One Last Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Plaguebearers (120)

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Total: 980 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 71

PS: what units do you think should I buy for summoning ?

Thanks a lot !

Hey,

was just wondering if I could please ask for a bit of advice from some experienced Nurgle players.

i have been building but a StD army and have been painting them up as Nurgle and loved it. So been thinking I might do a full Nurgle army.

my main question is would Archaon do well in a full a Nurgle army?

Was thinking the big guy and some blight kings as a base to start from. I have got the start collecting set and hope to use it all.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.