AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Here is the new thread for discussing Maggotkin of Nurgle. With the imminent release of AoS 2 (and a lot of the info already being out there), now is the time for us to start afresh on TGA.

Moving forward, this will be the main thread to chat about and discuss Maggotkin of Nurgle in the new edition. I still wholly encourage people to keep their own threads/army blogs within this sub forum and I also think those are a great place to share some photos as I know not everyone frequents the Painting & Modelling section. But this thread is purely for discussion around the faction, things such as (but not limited to) tactics and list building etc. You all know the drill, we've been doing it on this forum since inception!

For newer players, I would say the older thread could still be worth perusal and whilst it is now locked for further replies, you can find it here - http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/9323-lets-chat-maggotkin-of-nurgle/

Really excited to see what we can come up with as a community and I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts.

Hi, first results from some testing AOS2 with a friend, the new unbind rule is a pain in the *** with our spells already quite hard to cast.

I tried all game long to cast Blades of Putrefaction on some plague monks, it didn't go off once .

With our unability to get acces to +1 to cast on rotbringer wizards, we have to take it into account when trying to buff one of our units.

However the ability to unbind at 30'' is also a good thing for us, with a GUO w/dagger and bell I was able to unbind 3-4 spells during the game, which is nice.

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

I've been thinking a lot about this. One thing we can do is to use the Portal to extend our buff spell ranges. Have the rot bringer sorcerer way back in the backfield, either casting through the portal or just out of unbind space. Obviously this won't work if their caster is way forward, you are back to just holding out on the good dice. 

30 minutes ago, TheUnknownGuy said:

Hi, first results from some testing AOS2 with a friend, the new unbind rule is a pain in the *** with our spells already quite hard to cast.

I tried all game long to cast Blades of Putrefaction on some plague monks, it didn't go off once .

With our unability to get acces to +1 to cast on rotbringer wizards, we have to take it into account when trying to buff one of our units.

However the ability to unbind at 30'' is also a good thing for us, with a GUO w/dagger and bell I was able to unbind 3-4 spells during the game, which is nice.

I'm about to play my first AoS 2 game against Ironjawz. They get super buffs to spells if they surround casters with boyz, so I'm worried about that. I'm planning on keeping festus and a sorcerer lord back out of dispel range to do buffs and GUO to go into the middle of it all and dispel and try and cast a couple of things to help like Favoured Poxes. I'm thinking of just doing everything I can to remove the spellcaster he'll probably have first. 

I’ve played a few 2.0 games by now and agree on the magic front.  Blades just isn’t something to count on now, or Magic in general outside of Dagger GUOs.

My other observation is summoning has very little impact on the game.  Even late game objective play is tricky.

As sad as it makes me I am pretty sure the top of the heap for us is going to either continue to  be Plaguetouched or maybe something involving Archaon shenanigans.

Really bummed out that Menagerie seemingly isn’t viable and the Maggoth Lords remain over costed.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Darkfine said:

I’ve played a few 2.0 games by now and agree on the magic front.  Blades just isn’t something to count on now, or Magic in general outside of Dagger GUOs.

My other observation is summoning has very little impact on the game.  Even late game objective play is tricky.

As sad as it makes me I am pretty sure the top of the heap for us is going to either continue to  be Plaguetouched or maybe something involving Archaon shenanigans.

Really bummed out that Menagerie seemingly isn’t viable and the Maggoth Lords remain over costed.

Blades was only ever a universal always-take because of the chance to get + to hit from scenery. Now that's not a thing, it's only for pretty specific scenarios- against enemies with high saves for example, we don't have a great chance at damaging them, but blades gives us a little more damage output. 

With the huge dispel range and lack of MW with arcane bolt, I think plague Squall may be a really great choice now- average of at least 1xd3 MW, but no range limit! If you can have a caster at the back casting it every turn, it could be pretty useful!

I think summoning will emerge as a pretty decent strategy. Remember we can place our first tree (spawn point) anywhere on the table. It's a great opportunity to place it near multiple objectives, whereas in AoS 1 i pretty much just used them for the run and charge ability. 

59 minutes ago, Darkfine said:

I've given up on Blades pretty much completely(which in turn has turned me off to units that really need it to function, like Monks). 

I think Plaguetouched will still be really strong but I also think Thricefold Befoulment is also really strong. Plague Wind through a spell portal on a Dagger/Tome GUO should be pretty strong. 

too bad that of BoP... i hope IT still works...

well next month in LFGS is a friendly tournament 1k points aos 2.0 please critic my list

LoA rustFang

festus

LoBlights

2 pusgoyle lords

40 chaos marauders nurgle marked

10 chaos marauders nurgle marked

3 minutes ago, peasant said:

too bad that of BoP... i hope IT still works...

well next month in LFGS is a friendly tournament 1k points aos 2.0 please critic my list

LoA rustFang

festus

LoBlights

2 pusgoyle lords

40 chaos marauders nurgle marked

I played an almost identical 1k list twice (substitute sorcerer for Festus, 4 blightlords, 10 fewer marauders) and the Marauders did nothing.   I'm thinking about moving to Blightkings.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, peasant said:

Next month AoS 2.0 will be in effect, where 20 is the minimum unit size for chaos marauders - You'll need to take at least 20 per unit in order to have a legal list!

• Thanks 1

well, I plan to use gors as marauders but Im not allowed so no marauders

I have 30 plagueabearers but I thought summoning them instead of being in list... perhaps I need to buy a box of blight kings

Edited by peasant

So, do you guys think that Marauders still have a place in Nurgle lists?  Pre 2-0, a unit of 10 was great for filling holes in total points, battleline requirements, or just objective holders.  Now that the minimum is 20, do you take 10 plaguebearers instead? 10 chaos warriors? 

A block of 40 still has a nice discount right? (200 points) Seems pretty good with the glottkin or harbringer command ability, though not much other synergy.

Kind of bummed since I just bought some to use situationally in groups of 10/20.  I have 30 total currently. I'd have to keep an eye out for random ebay lots to get another 10 without buying a box. 

I'll be filling holes in total points with Endless Spells instead. I'm worried about objective-holders though. I haven't seen the new battleplans, but Knife to the Heart requiring 5 models to sit at the back the whole game through is a painful thing for my blightking-heavy army to build lists around, and I am worried we'll have more battleplans like that - ones that require you to set aside lots of points and models to do absolutely nothing for a full game.

I wonder about magic though.   Is there any spell as important as changing the corruption phase?  How much magic do we bring to manage it,  and how much more do we bring to add an endless spell to the list? 

I'm worried even Glottkin + GUO isn't enough. 

well, mystic shield sucks now, so probably won't be casting that.   Probably want to cast foul regenesis most turns, and blades of putrification depending on your list.  If you have 3 or 4 spell slots I think you'll definitely find an opportunity for endless spells. 

17 minutes ago, peasant said:

I think nurglings now are very good helping to get contagion points, too bad they enter not in hero phase but at the end of movement

I thought that at first but it might be better to just spend another hundred and get a unit of drones who’s primary purpose is to get into the other zone turn one.  

• Like 1

another list Im considering

1 LoA

1 epidemius

2 pusgoyles

10 plaguebearers

1 plagueClaws

60 points left

what do you think? 1k is a narrow slit, but I expect to summoning heralds to cast and unbind

edit or may be those winged fellows are too pricey to 1k

Edited by peasant
add more info