AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hi all, 

Is a Khorne cavalry army (either daemon or mortal) any viable? Or is large infantry blobs the way to go? I'm a fan of those bronze rhino riders and it seems there are some battalions to make them even better. The mortal versions seem inherently stronger but daemons can run murderhost (both get their own stampede battalions)

All thoughts appreciated

38 minutes ago, Big Rob said:

Hi all, 

Is a Khorne cavalry army (either daemon or mortal) any viable? Or is large infantry blobs the way to go? I'm a fan of those bronze rhino riders and it seems there are some battalions to make them even better. The mortal versions seem inherently stronger but daemons can run murderhost (both get their own stampede battalions)

All thoughts appreciated

Khorne Cavalry is pretty good. Maybe not exactly running a pure cavalry force is a good idea, but Brass Stampede battalion or Khorne Chaos Knights pack a big punch. Gorebeast chariots are decent as well when backed up with bloodstokers and slaughterpriests.

However the Daemon Jugger riders are not so good, at least thats what everyone seems to say.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retro said:

I would feel weird not having a base for it, is there any recommended size anywhere?

im gonna order the 160mm round one and the 170mm oval one and see if any of them fit, if i dont find any of them suitable ill just get some wooden custom sized ones. But im definitely putting them on bases

1 hour ago, Bululu said:

im gonna order the 160mm round one and the 170mm oval one and see if any of them fit, if i dont find any of them suitable ill just get some wooden custom sized ones. But im definitely putting them on bases

Okay ... take a peek at the pictures back a page. 170mm is 6.8” ... that’s not likely big enough.

The actual war Mammoth is ~10+ inches long and ~5-6” wide ... and that may not properly cover the tusks (they would likely go long). If you’re basing it, it’s likely a 250mm oval at a minimum. (Which would be custom.) (it’s bigger than the lotr Mumak.)

6 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Khorne Cavalry is pretty good. Maybe not exactly running a pure cavalry force is a good idea, but Brass Stampede battalion or Khorne Chaos Knights pack a big punch. Gorebeast chariots are decent as well when backed up with bloodstokers and slaughterpriests.

However the Daemon Jugger riders are not so good, at least thats what everyone seems to say.

That's good to hear. The only real advantage the daemons would have is murderhost, which works with daemon juggernaut riders and their general I believe, speeding them up a bit. Guess it could also be used in 40k if kept pure Khorne daemons.

But I agree that mortals cavalry is better, and a maxed brass stampede seems pretty savage. I'd imagine a good starting point would be:

1 Khorne lord on juggernaut (general)

7× 3 mighty skullcrusher

Brass Stampede

=1320/2000

Not sure where to go from there, maybe manticore lord or some beefed up squads?

Edited by Big Rob

8 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Okay ... take a peek at the pictures back a page. 170mm is 6.8” ... that’s not likely big enough.

The actual war Mammoth is ~10+ inches long and ~5-6” wide ... and that may not properly cover the tusks (they would likely go long). If you’re basing it, it’s likely a 250mm oval at a minimum. (Which would be custom.) (it’s bigger than the lotr Mumak.)

I dont really think tusks are a problem, they dont have to fit in the base for me a base would cover al four legs and that would do, take for example the thundertusks, as you can se tusks are not covered on base.

Resultado de imagen de thundertusk

10 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Hey, I'm considering building a 1250 point Khorne army for a tournament in a couple months, but I'm brand new to Khorne and have only played Brayherd/Warherd in AoS so far. Anyone happen to have some ideas for competitive list at that point total? 

Have a look back a couple of pages and there is talk of the BoK 'shell', some key units that are present within a lot of competitive lists at the moment.

• Like 1

Hey so I'm currently playing at a 1000pts tournament and I have a question about the blood forged infectious bloodletting ruling. 

It states "... roll a dice for each enemy model within 3" of a bloodforged model at the start of your hero phase..." Does this stack for each bloodforged model within 3"? 

Thank you

31 minutes ago, Heroflegend21 said:

Hey so I'm currently playing at a 1000pts tournament and I have a question about the blood forged infectious bloodletting ruling. 

It states "... roll a dice for each enemy model within 3" of a bloodforged model at the start of your hero phase..." Does this stack for each bloodforged model within 3"? 

Thank you

How would it stack?

On 8/26/2018 at 10:04 AM, Heroflegend21 said:

For each enemy model within 3" of a blood forged model. So say there is 5 enemies within 3" of 5 bloodforged would I roll 25 dice?

I'm gonna go with the rationale of "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

There is just no way GW would let you roll that many dice for that few models. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2018 at 12:57 PM, AngoraDemon said:

Right now the best lists outside brass stampede use the following shell (the same shell I've been using for the last 2 years):

Heros:

1*WOK Thirster (Doppelganger Cloak) 320pt

1*Bloodsecrator(Brazen Rune) 140pt

2-3*Slaughter Priest 

1*Bloodstoker 80pt

Battleline:

30*Bloodletters 320pt

10*Bloodreavers 70pt

5*Bloodwarriors 100pt

Other:

5*Wrathmongers 180pt

Battalion:

Gore Pilgrims 200pt

This is a heavy anti magic shell with the inclusion of the WOK Thirster, Gore Pilgrims + Brazen  Rune. Wrathmongers are incredible against doppelganger cloak. It has turn one charge potential with an average output of about 50 mortal wounds. It also has a 27in threat range with a re-rollable 8-inch charge. If your opponent comes in close then your Slaughter priests can pick up the slack by burning them with a 75% chance to do D6 mortal wounds. throwing doppelganger on your bloodthirster can give you a second Alpha strike or serve as an excellent screening tool against me lay armies because they won't be able to hit him on the first attack. The shell gives you a couple hundred points of wiggle room.

I'm not so sure the letter bomb is the most effective way to go with the gore pilgrims battalion.  You really can't stack buffs around in that battalion since it mostly synergizes with mortals.  I'm thinking an MSU approach with lots of warriors and reavers with totem support and aspiring champion with blade and hammer will give better bonuses across the board.  Not only that but open up a lot more opportunities to summon or use blood tithe abilities.  

You can then supplement your army with whatever you need as the blood tithe should be flowing quickly.  

6 hours ago, Kevlar1972 said:

I'm not so sure the letter bomb is the most effective way to go with the gore pilgrims battalion.  You really can't stack buffs around in that battalion since it mostly synergizes with mortals.  I'm thinking an MSU approach with lots of warriors and reavers with totem support and aspiring champion with blade and hammer will give better bonuses across the board.  Not only that but open up a lot more opportunities to summon or use blood tithe abilities.  

You can then supplement your army with whatever you need as the blood tithe should be flowing quickly.  

Bloodsecrator effects all khorne models in range and all the prayers can target any khorne model. No requirement for mortal key word. Or did I miss an FAQ?

7 hours ago, Kevlar1972 said:

The bloodletters are the unit that synergize the most with the gore pilgrim. Multiple +1 to hit and increasing range is indredible on them. Only the skullreapers are in the same level of "i love this battalion"

Hello all

I am relatively new to this forum, but I have been playing Blades of Khorne for a long time now. Personally, I find that using two Bloodsecrators is more effective than running the Gore Pilgrims battalion in Aos 2.0. The cost of Gore Pilgrims is now 200 points. This battalion allows you to increase the range of your Bloodsecrator by 6 inches for every Slaughterpriest within 8 inches. This means that your Bloodsecrator has a maximum range of 36 inches, giving you a maximum effective area of 1296pi inches squared.  Additionally, your Slaughterpriests to re-roll failed prayers. Cool. Now let's assume you take two Bloodsecrators instead of the battalion. Each Bloodsecrator has a max range of 18 inches. This means that in total your Bloodsecrators have a maximum effective area of 648pi inches squared. Additionally, units in both of these bubbles get two additional attacks instead of one like normal. Additionally, you can move one Bloodsecrator up while the other stays in place. This allows you to advance with buffed units. Using a single Bloodsecrator with a range of 36 Inches, will give you a larger maximum area buff but only if he's near the center of the battlefield. In most cases, two Bloodsecrators will be buffing more area, and therefore more units. Finally, two Bloodsecrators will let you not immediately loose when your Bloodsecrator dies. As for your Slaughterpriests, in the battalion, your three priests will be very close to your Bloodsecrator and completely out of combat. This is 440 points of leaders not in combat (3 priests + secrator) compared to only 280 points without the battalion. When you don't use the battalion, your Slaughterpriests will be in combat and therefore be able to kill enemies. This will increase their casting rolls, sure it won't be as good as re-rolling fails, but it is still good considering your using 160 more points of leaders in combat. To conclude, Not using this battalion will also cost 60 points less to your army, it does take another hero slot, but you can simply cut a Slaughterpriest to even out your army.

I hope you enjoy your day.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kevlar1972 said:

I have used this wth Gore pilgrims with 4 units of 10 reavers and aspiring death bringer. It has worked well for me and I feel it is viable at least semi competitively. At least it is a decent alternative to those with out sufficient blood letters.

I had a lot to tithe floating around every turn in both games so could bring on a lot of daemons. I favour units of 5 blood letters due to being able to swamp the board and induce panic/speed bump.

Also the msu are cheap objective grabbers for quick points. Though they soon need backing up. Which an aspiring deathbringer and 10 or 20 blood warriors can do - save up the command points and then bazooka those attacks ?

9 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

I have used this wth Gore pilgrims with 4 units of 10 reavers and aspiring death bringer. It has worked well for me and I feel it is viable at least semi competitively. At least it is a decent alternative to those with out sufficient blood letters.

I had a lot to tithe floating around every turn in both games so could bring on a lot of daemons. I favour units of 5 blood letters due to being able to swamp the board and induce panic/speed bump.

Also the msu are cheap objective grabbers for quick points. Though they soon need backing up. Which an aspiring deathbringer and 10 or 20 blood warriors can do - save up the command points and then bazooka those attacks ?

Right. And the deathbringer buffs all your heroes as well.  The bloodletters are great too, but then I think you really want the herald with crimson crown to support them.  They can outpace the blood secrator and priest buff range and without buffs they are fairly useless.  Even buffed they are still susceptible to being screened and counter charged.  And something can cut their numbers down to uselessness pretty quickly.  With bloodwarriors in MSU you never have to worry about losing a unit and they will do damage even if they get charged and wiped out.  And then you can easily summon some letters or corn dogs to counterattack with in your phase.

46 minutes ago, Kevlar1972 said:

Right. And the deathbringer buffs all your heroes as well.  The bloodletters are great too, but then I think you really want the herald with crimson crown to support them.  They can outpace the blood secrator and priest buff range and without buffs they are fairly useless.  Even buffed they are still susceptible to being screened and counter charged.  And something can cut their numbers down to uselessness pretty quickly.  With bloodwarriors in MSU you never have to worry about losing a unit and they will do damage even if they get charged and wiped out.  And then you can easily summon some letters or corn dogs to counterattack with in your phase.

This.... For a long time i never rated my blood warriors. But recently in an escalation league they have routinely been the MVP's of each game. The thing to remember is that on their own they are pretty decent, but they are a template for any buff a mortal unit can put out. And with each buff they get exponentially better. I also like how they often force your opponents combat priority bc getting 2 rounds of attacks after they start dying is not something most opponents will let slide. They work particularly well in a single line screen with the wrathmongers. 

12 hours ago, pollo1126 said:

Hello all

I am relatively new to this forum, but I have been playing Blades of Khorne for a long time now. Personally, I find that using two Bloodsecrators is more effective than running the Gore Pilgrims battalion in Aos 2.0. The cost of Gore Pilgrims is now 200 points. This battalion allows you to increase the range of your Bloodsecrator by 6 inches for every Slaughterpriest within 8 inches. This means that your Bloodsecrator has a maximum range of 36 inches, giving you a maximum effective area of 1296pi inches squared.  Additionally, your Slaughterpriests to re-roll failed prayers. Cool. Now let's assume you take two Bloodsecrators instead of the battalion. Each Bloodsecrator has a max range of 18 inches. This means that in total your Bloodsecrators have a maximum effective area of 648pi inches squared. Additionally, units in both of these bubbles get two additional attacks instead of one like normal. Additionally, you can move one Bloodsecrator up while the other stays in place. This allows you to advance with buffed units. Using a single Bloodsecrator with a range of 36 Inches, will give you a larger maximum area buff but only if he's near the center of the battlefield. In most cases, two Bloodsecrators will be buffing more area, and therefore more units. Finally, two Bloodsecrators will let you not immediately loose when your Bloodsecrator dies. As for your Slaughterpriests, in the battalion, your three priests will be very close to your Bloodsecrator and completely out of combat. This is 440 points of leaders not in combat (3 priests + secrator) compared to only 280 points without the battalion. When you don't use the battalion, your Slaughterpriests will be in combat and therefore be able to kill enemies. This will increase their casting rolls, sure it won't be as good as re-rolling fails, but it is still good considering your using 160 more points of leaders in combat. To conclude, Not using this battalion will also cost 60 points less to your army, it does take another hero slot, but you can simply cut a Slaughterpriest to even out your army.

I hope you enjoy your day.

As mentioned- you defo cant stack the bloodsecrator ability for +1 attack.

It shouldnt really be up for debate, but if youre running slaughter priests primarily for their prayers/buffs and not just to tick off a mandatory battallion requirement (eg dark feast) youre missing a trick. IMO Gorepilgrims turns slaughterpriests from a liability to a competitive advantage.

Downside to two bloodsecrators is the lack of max effective range- gore pilgrims can get the rr to cast bubble into your opponents deployment zone.

Also, two bloodsecrators, two models, two drops. GP's gets you 4 leaders and two battleline in one drop. No point having two banners if your opponent hits you with an alpha stike and causes some serious battleshock

You can still daisy chain a unit backwards to the bloodsecrators buff area. You only need one model in the unit in range for the whole unit to get +1a.

Slaughter priests in combat.. that +1 to pray only works if they made a kill (slew an enemy) in 'THE previous turn'. Not 'YOUR previous turn'. Youll need to get a double turn to benefit from this. Slightly harder to orchestrate in aos2 with the priority roll changes. Also why put them in combat when you can do blood boil at range? A kill is a kill.. Doesnt say they have to get it from combat.

If you know your opponent is going to come gunning for your bloodsecrator use this to your advantage, get him to overreach to get in range, then bloodbind that unit further up the table and straight into your killbox.