AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Aiming for a 1k~ list. Im not sure what battalions (or other strategies) would make sense etc etc so I would appreciate all suggestions. Thanks!

You are pretty much set for a sold 1000 point list. 

slaughterhost-Goretide

bloodstoker

slaughterpriest-bronzed flesh

slaughterpriest-killing frenzy

bloodsecrator-General, hew the foe, thronebreakers thorc

5x bloodwarriors

10x bloodwarriors

5x skullreapers

1x khorgorath

If you want to run the mighty lord, you could go down a bloodstoker and a slaughterpriest. you can also swap out some bloodwarriors for bloodreavers and take blood sacrifice if you want more blood tithe.

In terms of gameplay, essentially just block of your enemies with bloodwarriors and sent in your buffed skullreapers and khorgie and watch everything die. enjoy

• Like 1

@Icefighter  If every unit in your army has the khorne keyword you can take one of four slaughterhosts. 2 of them are demon themed and 2 are mortals. each slaughterhosts gets an ability, artifacts, command ability, and command trait.  Go here to learn more. I would definitely wait until at least 1500 points to add battalions. Khorne battalions are way expensive, so you are definitely only going to want one. I don't know much about the demon ones, put out of the mortal battalions, the good ones are gore pilgrims, blood forged, slaughterborn, maybe skulltake, and brass stampede if you have lots of money. For now though, I would just get the judgments of khorne box, the skull alter, and lots of skullreapers and wrathmongers. 

Hej guys, I am about to order some big boy for my army and I have some questions:
In general, I am torn between Skarbrand and a Bloodthirster (either Wrath of Khorne or Insane Rage).

Did I understood it right, that Skarbrand gets his Cargange Roll for each attack? So Wrathmongers and Bloodsecrators can lead him to doing whopping 24 MW (not concidering any sixes), right?

Is there any advantage in taking a Wrath of Khorne or Insane Rage BT over him? I know IR can get a huge blastwave that AOE´s with MW´s and WoK seems like a nice utility mix with his unbind and solid profile.

[I currently habe 9 Bloodcrushers and 20 Bloodletters and a Skulltaker in terms of deamons + Mortals,k if this should be worth any concideration]

31 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Is there any advantage in taking a Wrath of Khorne or Insane Rage BT over him? I know IR can get a huge blastwave that AOE´s with MW´s and WoK seems like a nice utility mix with his unbind and solid profile.

Skarbrand can't fly or take artifacts, so he usually ends up fighting what the enemy wants him to fight or he gets shot off as he can't take a defensive artifact. He is more useful as a 2nd or 3rd BT as then the enemy has some real target selection issues.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Galdenistal said:

Skarbrand can't fly or take artifacts, so he usually ends up fighting what the enemy wants him to fight or he gets shot off as he can't take a defensive artifact. He is more useful as a 2nd or 3rd BT as then the enemy has some real target selection issues.

That being said, if you can get hold of a second torso and wings (or you're handy with sculpting I guess) skarbrand comes with enough spares to build a second regular thirster

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Retro said:

Hey guys, so I'm looking at doing some big conversions, more for fun than tabletop.

Has anyone got pictures of the following (preferably with another model nearby or a tape measure so I can see the size):

Exalted bloodthirster

Skaarac bloodborn

Mazaral the butcher

Regular bloodthirster.

It would be great if someone has all of them next to each other but I feel like that would be a deposit for a house all in the one image.

Thanks!

I'm  not at home right now, but I can take one with all except Mazaral tomorrow for ya 👌

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2019 at 6:49 PM, Retro said:

Hey guys, so I'm looking at doing some big conversions, more for fun than tabletop.

Has anyone got pictures of the following (preferably with another model nearby or a tape measure so I can see the size):

Exalted bloodthirster

Skaarac bloodborn

Mazaral the butcher

Regular bloodthirster.

It would be great if someone has all of them next to each other but I feel like that would be a deposit for a house all in the one image.

Thanks!

Sorry if hard to see much. Skarroc  and the Big dude are only primed.

Exalted Thirster is about 9in high at the axe. He's on a smaller base cause I magged him so I can use him for a WoK Thirster too.

Skarbrand and the Blood Warriors painted by my mate https://www.facebook.com/ham.solo.9026 

He did mine for free, but he does good quality commissions, check his page. Based in Australia.

61690102_327974004764581_4248703484540485632_n.jpg

61865070_2229310890519809_7333464943464808448_n.jpg

61981185_2386699694931714_4098772034572517376_n.jpg

62077721_852537221778736_5656227008321945600_n.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, jazman84 said:

Sorry if hard to see much. Skarroc  and the Big dude are only primed.

Exalted Thirster is about 9in high at the axe. He's on a smaller base cause I magged him so I can use him for a WoK Thirster too.

Skarbrand and the Blood Warriors painted by my mate https://www.facebook.com/ham.solo.9026 

He did mine for free, but he does good quality commissions, check his page. Based in Australia.

61690102_327974004764581_4248703484540485632_n.jpg

61865070_2229310890519809_7333464943464808448_n.jpg

61981185_2386699694931714_4098772034572517376_n.jpg

62077721_852537221778736_5656227008321945600_n.jpg

That exalted bloodthirster is a big beefy boy! He's massive!

Now all you need to complete the collection is a certain khornate dragon 😉.

Speaking of which, I don't think this has been discussed yet, do people think there are any synergies with vorgorath and skalok? (Think that's how to spell it). He slots right into any khorne army, having the bloodhound keyword. However he is 1200 points. The same as skarbrand and his tyrants of blood. 

Couple slaughterpriests? Hit on 2s, get a 2+ save. Then maybe karanak and all flesh hounds.

The amount of damage the dragon can output is just crazy. And it's MASSIVE. like HUGE. Imagnine that getting into your battleline, nuh uh. 

Cheers guys.

I think the dragon only really works in fun armies, he’s so big that he can be snarled up easily plus he is so  expensive (model points as well as the points to provide buffs) that once tied up eating chaff you don’t have enough killing power to compete elsewhere and lose on objectives. 

Sorry to be the fun sponge 😕I want the big dragon to work but I struggle to see how

1 hour ago, Praecautus said:

I think the dragon only really works in fun armies, he’s so big that he can be snarled up easily plus he is so  expensive (model points as well as the points to provide buffs) that once tied up eating chaff you don’t have enough killing power to compete elsewhere and lose on objectives. 

Sorry to be the fun sponge 😕I want the big dragon to work but I struggle to see how

Dragon did pretty good at the LVO major tournament. This was also prior to tome upgrade. It’s a good unit and it will wreck everything but it’s just too expensive! Player used Slaughterpriests and lots of reavers for board control. 

I was wondering about khorgoraths. How many are an effective hammer, I was thinking possibly a unit of 3. Or is it better to take seperate units for more BT and more benefit from the heal. Also is Skulltake good? It looks fun, but I haven't tried it. Blood for the Blood God and Skulls for the Skull Throne

23 hours ago, fwlr said:

Speaking of which, I don't think this has been discussed yet, do people think there are any synergies with vorgorath and skalok? (Think that's how to spell it). He slots right into any Khorne army, having the bloodhound keyword. However, he is 1200 points. The same as skarbrand and his tyrants of blood. 

Couple slaughterpriests? Hit on 2s, get a 2+ save. Then maybe Karnak and all flesh hounds.

The amount of damage the dragon can output is just crazy. And it's MASSIVE. like HUGE. Imagine that getting into your battleline, nuh uh. 

Cheers guys.

If you can get like 120 Blood Reavers and an 80 point hero then the blood god will smile down on you and grant you glory!

The point of this army, send the big boi right into all the chaos, (get it?) and have 40 blood reavers supporting him, 40 onto the weaker flank of your opponent's side, and the final 40 capturing one objective, (If you use them) and the hero sneaking an objective on the sides or something.

This might be a little expensive for some people, but if you can, this will have your opponent in tears (Good tears or bad ones) and the blood will keep spilling!

On 6/3/2019 at 7:06 PM, fwlr said:

That exalted bloodthirster is a big beefy boy! He's massive!

Now all you need to complete the collection is a certain khornate dragon 😉.

Speaking of which, I don't think this has been discussed yet, do people think there are any synergies with vorgorath and skalok? (Think that's how to spell it). He slots right into any khorne army, having the bloodhound keyword. However he is 1200 points. The same as skarbrand and his tyrants of blood. 

Couple slaughterpriests? Hit on 2s, get a 2+ save. Then maybe karanak and all flesh hounds.

The amount of damage the dragon can output is just crazy. And it's MASSIVE. like HUGE. Imagnine that getting into your battleline, nuh uh. 

Cheers guys.

The big boi dragon is not that good against destruction (or anything that deals a lot of damage quickly) but other than that you will have a moderate to high chance of winning.

Hi folks,

I got another have in tonight. It was the scenario with 4 objectives, one near each corner, worth 1 or 3 pts depending on side.

I lost 16 to 20, which sounds close but it really wasn't. Once again the Bloodthirsters were a massive disappointment. I took Reapers as the host and three Bloodthirsters (Fury, Rage, Skarbrand) in Tyrants. They never got to use the Tyrants rule, two were dead before my second turn, and the third took three rounds of combat just to kill a skink hero and a (free, summoned) saurus hero. They are just so, so fragile! 

I could really use advice on making Bloodthirsters useful. So far, my six bloodcrushers have been my most consistent unit, with the Bloodthirsters being a massive waste of points almost every game.

Also, a grumble. It really stinks that blood tithe points are reset with each use. You end up wasting so many, and when you see other summoning/chart bonus mechanics not reset the count, it stings (three times my opponent summoned multiple units in a turn).

Also also, it's frustrating to need to keep our things wholly within buff range just to reroll some ones while lizards are not tied to a character, or are not "wholly" or have no range consideration at all.

I feel like if all the books were designed like Blades, things might be ok, but it's clear to me that different authors have different design ideas for similar concepts and some of them are, let's say, a little less restrained with their execution.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Hi folks,

I got another have in tonight. It was the scenario with 4 objectives, one near each corner, worth 1 or 3 pts depending on side.

I lost 16 to 20, which sounds close but it really wasn't. Once again the Bloodthirsters were a massive disappointment. I took Reapers as the host and three Bloodthirsters (Fury, Rage, Skarbrand) in Tyrants. They never got to use the Tyrants rule, two were dead before my second turn, and the third took three rounds of combat just to kill a skink hero and a (free, summoned) saurus hero. They are just so, so fragile! 

I could really use advice on making Bloodthirsters useful. So far, my six bloodcrushers have been my most consistent unit, with the Bloodthirsters being a massive waste of points almost every game.

Also, a grumble. It really stinks that blood tithe points are reset with each use. You end up wasting so many, and when you see other summoning/chart bonus mechanics not reset the count, it stings (three times my opponent summoned multiple units in a turn).

Also also, it's frustrating to need to keep our things wholly within buff range just to reroll some ones while lizards are not tied to a character, or are not "wholly" or have no range consideration at all.

I feel like if all the books were designed like Blades, things might be ok, but it's clear to me that different authors have different design ideas for similar concepts and some of them are, let's say, a little less restrained with their execution.

hi, I am trying to build a Tyrants of blood list too. What was your list? How the bloodthirsers have been killed?

IMO I would not play an Insansate Rage without a Warth of Khorne to make him re roll hit rolls.

Just wanted to share my archaon+bloodforged list with you guys. I came up with it after seeing the list mark wildman ran at south coast gt. 

The list is here:

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Archaon (660)
Daemon Prince of Khorne (160)
- Artefact: Jadewound Thorn 
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle 
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Skullgrinder (80)
- General
- Trait: Mage Eater 
20 x Chaos Marauders (120)
- Axes & Shields
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
Bloodforged (120)
Bleeding Icon (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 124

I played against a  legions of grief list with 4-5 wizards, and archaon ran around wreaking face. I misplayed once or twice and nearly lost him to a double turns worth of attacks from myrmourn banshees (didn't realise they did d3 damage)

Ended up winning on objectives as archaon singlehandedly stalled the midfield and let me summon/run/charge onto objectives.

I like the DP doing mortals on a 5+, but I'm debating changing it to the hero-killer artifact (d6 mortals to a hero on a to hit of 6+).

I've been lurking on these pages for a while now and am happy there's somewhere where BoK has a lot of discussion!

1 hour ago, Biboune said:

hi, I am trying to build a Tyrants of blood list too. What was your list? How the bloodthirsers have been killed?

IMO I would not play an Insansate Rage without a Warth of Khorne to make him re roll hit rolls.

Aside from a very casual list I've been using - I've started buying & building a Tyrants list. Undecided on a Slaughter Host though, not sure which is best!

Allegiance: Khorne (off to a good start...)

LEADERS

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280) - Artefact : Ghyrstrike

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300)

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280)

Slaughterpriest (100)

Slaughterpriest (100)

UNITS

5 x Blood Warriors (100) - Goreaxe & Gorefist

5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

BATTALIONS

Tyrants of Blood (140)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN

Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Bleeding Icon (40)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1

WOUNDS: 108 - LEADERS: 6/6 - BATTLELINES: 4 (3+) - BEHEMOTHS: 4/4  - ARTILLERY: 0/4 - ARTEFACTS: 1/2 - ALLIES: 0/400

---

I've mucked about with other versions of this, but I'm curious to know if anyone has had any success using a troop composition like that?

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Hi folks,

I think you probably should start with your intent, and then rank your objectives. 16-20 isn't a bad result at all if your intent is to play a good game regardless of how you feel the game went.

Winning is often devising ways to make the match as uncompetitive as possible which you may not desire. I suspect we have conflicting views on how to play the game so I'm not sure I can help you with your list too much. Do you mind posting it so I can quote it?

Also blood tithe is structurally different than summoning. It's primary function is the table, and secondary function is summoning which it does less effeciently than Slaanesh, but it's probably better than Nurgle, and has a far more options than Tzeentch.

6 hours ago, RussianBot454 said:

I've been lurking on these pages for a while now and am happy there's somewhere where BoK has a lot of discussion!

Aside from a very casual list I've been using - I've started buying & building a Tyrants list. Undecided on a Slaughter Host though, not sure which is best!

Allegiance: Khorne (off to a good start...)

LEADERS

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280) - Artefact : Ghyrstrike

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300)

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280)

Slaughterpriest (100)

Slaughterpriest (100)

UNITS

5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

5 x Flesh Hounds (100)

BATTALIONS

Tyrants of Blood (140)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN

Hexgorger Skulls (40)

Bleeding Icon (40)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1

WOUNDS: 108 - LEADERS: 6/6 - BATTLELINES: 4 (3+) - BEHEMOTHS: 4/4  - ARTILLERY: 0/4 - ARTEFACTS: 1/2 - ALLIES: 0/400

---

I've mucked about with other versions of this, but I'm curious to know if anyone has had any success using a troop composition like that?

Personally I would drop gyrestrike for amberglaive as IR already has 2+ to wound and the +1" reach has been nice for me. Then I'd probably drop both units of warriors and the bleeding icon for 1x dogs and Karnak. Karnack doesnt vount as a leader and effectively is 40 points once he free summons dogs. The dogs imo are better at screening than warriors as they are faster and give you all the denys you want.

On 6/5/2019 at 3:56 AM, Biboune said:

=> Skarbrand was killed by the Carnosaur in round one. I have not had much trouble handling this guy before with my Tomb Kings, Skaven, Sylvaneth, Daughters, and even with the demons before. He just charged in and, with all the re-rolls from various sources and other special effects, ate him before I got to swing (he also had the cloak on him that lets him not get attacked in combat until after he has himself attacked - an item I will be adding to a bloodthirster at some point as getting at least one swing in before getting OTK'd is vital I believe).

The Fury one was blasted into oblivion by the Bastilladon's space lizard laser gun, also in turn 1.

I've used Wrath before, and will again, but I only have three bloodthirsters at this moment, and one is Skarbrand, so even if my opponent is willing to let me use one as a different one as we are building our armies, I still can't use both Wrath and Fury at the same time, and Rage is an auto-include for me. I am ordering another one today.

On 6/5/2019 at 6:09 AM, whispersofblood said:

I think you probably should start with your intent, and then rank your objectives. 16-20 isn't a bad result at all if your intent is to play a good game regardless of how you feel the game went.

Winning is often devising ways to make the match as uncompetitive as possible which you may not desire. I suspect we have conflicting views on how to play the game so I'm not sure I can help you with your list too much. Do you mind posting it so I can quote it?

Also blood tithe is structurally different than summoning. It's primary function is the table, and secondary function is summoning ...

=> My goal is to win. Let me be clear: By default playing AoS (or other games) has fun as objective #1, but since we are playing a game, rather than, say, going to a movie, the objective of the activity is important and games are, by definition, different from movies as in one you are competing to achieve victory and in the other you are being passively entertained.  Both are fun, both are (can be) done with the same friend, but one of them is a competition and the other is not.

So, not to derail, but yeah, winning.

I completely agree on the Tithe, btw.  I recently declared in this very thread that the real power of the Tithe is the non-summoning stuff. Still, there are cases where summoning can matter, such as this case where I needed more bodies near objectives. But, whether we are talking summoning or effects, it's awful that you reset the count with each use.

My list (about the 20th variation so far):

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage- General - Command Trait : Mage Eater - Artefact : Skullshard Mantle

Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300)  Artefact : Hellfire Blade

Skarbrand

Slaughterpriest - Blood Blessing : Blood Sacrifice

Bloodsecrator

5 x Flesh Hounds

5 x Flesh Hounds

10 x Bloodletters  Gore Drenched Icon

6 x Bloodcrushers

Tyrants of Blood

Hexgorger Skulls

This is my third game with skulls.  They have yet to make any impact on the battle.

Edited by Sleboda

11 hours ago, Sleboda said:

=> Skarbrand was killed by the Carnosaur in round one. I have not had much trouble handling this guy before with my Tomb Kings, Skaven, Sylvaneth, Daughters, and even with the demons before. He just charged in and, with all the re-rolls from various sources and other special effects, ate him before I got to swing (he also had the cloak on him that lets him not get attacked in combat until after he has himself attacked - an item I will be adding to a bloodthirster at some point as getting at least one swing in before getting OTK'd is vital I believe).

The Fury one was blasted into oblivion by the Bastilladon's space lizard laser gun, also in turn 1.

I've used Wrath before, and will again, but I only have three bloodthirsters at this moment, and one is Skarbrand, so even if my opponent is willing to let me use one as a different one as we are building our armies, I still can't use both Wrath and Fury at the same time, and Rage is an auto-include for me. I am ordering another one today.

Well, there is nothing to do against a spac lizard laser gun...

Having Skarband charged round may be have been avoid?

IMO I would play a Slaughterpriest with Bronze Flesh payer instead of Blood sacrifice.

I agree that having an artefact allowing the BT to strike first is tempting. That why I'll try the Bloodlord's Halo of Blood artefact. Keeper of secrets, Idoneth (during round 3) and FEC monster can strike first (if I am not mistaking), Reaper of Veangence ability to strike twice is nice but useless if your BT is killed (or baldy wounded).

If Skarbrand is not in the list, I wonder if dropping the bloodsecrator can be a good thing: he is very good played with units with a lot of models. So, not with flesh hounds, bloodcrushers and may be not with BTs. Also, He is slow and the BT may not be in 16".  He costs 140 pts, same as 3 Bloodcrushers

I am thinking about a list like this one:

Allegiance: Khorne
 - Slaughterhost: The Bloodlords
LEADERS
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320) - Artefact :  Crimson Soulstone  
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280) - General - Command Trait : Slaughterer's Thirst  
Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (300) - Artefact :  Halo of Blood  
Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh
UNITS
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
6 x Bloodcrushers (280)
6 x Bloodcrushers (280)
BATTALIONS
Tyrants of Blood (140)

Edited by Biboune