Anyone else glad there’s a pause in new releases?

I'm a bit disappointed that it will delay a few bits I was looking forward to but to be perfectly honest I think the time will let them get their affairs in order and is clearly needed by the looks of things so it's probably a good thing. 

Can't imagine they've got any choice, sounds like something went wrong with Cursed City and on top of that trade sales has been very close to the wire.

All points to IT and distribution issues, potentially too production issues on top (cardboard being one of the things impacted by Brexit)

I'm not happy specifically - I got my models so I'm fine without anything new, but sad for people waiting for Soulblight, and the rest of Broken Realms. I had this last year with the Lumineth, it's not fun knowing your stuff should come soon, but then get's delayed. 

But, for people who have bought all of the recent releases I guess it's good thing : )

• Like 1

I for one, am also glad that there will be a bit of pause in the releases.

Not because I do not want it, some faction boxes are nice and since I collect Chaos, OBR and had started a DoK project with the shadow and pain Box I had to get them...

Now Cursed City and that new fancy stuff for Adeptus Titanicus ripped a hole into my wallet (and my wife almost tore me a new one...).

Broken Realms as a campaign is something I really was looking forward, the moment it was announced. But you all can feel, how GWs schedule is effed up with container shortage, brexit, stuck freighters and an ongoing pandemic.

On that point I also see us as customers an essential factor in this problem, because albeit the situation we still demand products.

Don't get me wrong, it's okay to hope for stuff you like, but the world is not dying on the Lack of plasticmodels and gw needs to satisfy their shareholders. But I find it utterly wrong that they have to bang put all their projects in such a short time, I can't even enjoy it. Yes, warehouses and store space also eats money and the products need to be sold...

But within half a year 3 campaign books... I live in germany/austria and we have something which is called "Buchbindepreis". It is essentially a fixed price on every books sold in our countries, to support book-manufacturies. That means, every books sold in that area has its price which will never Chance (no discounts or Flash sales) except it is remarkably damaged or old. So 30 to 50€ for each single book hurts a lot on top of the plastic we buy.

Hypetrain works well, but I am getting tired of the constant flow of 'do want'-releases.

• Like 1

Its fine by me. I've always said that the rate at which they release new stuff these days is a bit ridiculous. I have no particular desire to buy the new thing every week. I know they have a lot of factions to update and people want theirs sooner rather than later. But who among us can honestly say that they a) don't have a backlog of stuff to paint, and b) have no interest at all in tjee vast extant product line thats already on shelves. If we want models,there is no shortage. We don't need new things all the time. So I'm all in favour of killing the hype train marketing and just living in the moment s bit more.

Honestly, the only models I purchased from GW recently are Blood Bowl, which was still in 2020. Haven't finished those, but am falling out of love with the system before starting it because of the tier system (though at least it's honest about it).

I was tempted greatly by Cursed City, but, well, that.

I don't see Cities units on the horizon, nor Kharadron, and won't buy GW infantry heroes.

The only things I am cautiously interested in are Sisters of Battle halberdeers and a Kharadron Ironclad, if they turn out to be a 10 strong unit. The 5 ones are overpriced.

For general purchase, the scale creep is awful, and Blood Bowl black orcs and snotwagons simply don't fit on their bases.

I did purchase quite a few alternate Kharadron, Disposessed, Gyrocopter and Squat STLs. I can scale those to my heart's desire, and they also have female sculpts.

Seems like a wise choice.

I always thought the weekly release schedule was mental, both from a hobbyist's perspective as for the people planning worldwide stock levels. 

It's understandable that those whose main hobby is all about decent quality content creation (or whining about) new releases will suffer. But in all honesty: the online worlds of Warhammer could do fine without a few less unboxings or 'this weeks pre-orders & what do they mean for the future of the hobby' videos ;) 

Edited by Socrates
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Seems like a wise choice.

I always thought the weekly release schedule was mental, both from a hobbyist's perspective as for the people planning worldwide stock levels. 

Totally agree. It’s insane the pace they were moving at and I think it’s the right choice. It will be very interesting to see where things go in May, especially if third edition is scheduled this year. I’m happy if they release things in a bi weekly manner but I have enough stuff going on to suffer from the fear of missing out! 

• Like 1

In my case reaction is mixed.

After I'm a store buyer (only buying and ordering from a store) the pause may help, because I'm not able to buy anything because stores are closed. I still don't know if I'm able to get my hands on a Cursed City box from Store Contingents. I still wasn't able to buy the new Lumineth Battletome or Broken Realms: Teclis in German translation or some of the Novels that were released latly.

It can help giving some time to prepare the Wikis.

On the other side, the delays can in worst case mean that something get's cut.

I actually had thought that this week could have been another Preview because it is the last Saturday of the month and their wasn't any in April.

3 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Totally agree. It’s insane the pace they were moving at and I think it’s the right choice. It will be very interesting to see where things go in May, especially if third edition is scheduled this year. I’m happy if they release things in a bi weekly manner but I have enough stuff going on to suffer from the fear of missing out! 

I think it could have worked better is GW had continued the schedule they had in January and February, but we don't even know what GW wanted to release during the entire year.

A little, but tbh I have always found their approach with weekly releases and FOMO to be completely the wrong way to approach it.  Obviously enough people don't care that it works out well for them but it has always felt like the wrong way to handle releasing models/games.