Broken Realms: Be'lakor - SPOILER Discussion + Lore Summary

novakai

Going to start the Spoilers and Discussion thread about what's going to happen in next Broken Realm Book starring Be'lakor

SundayPreview Apr11 BR Belakor3e

Background

"Be’lakor, the Dark Master, the first of the Daemon Princes, and spurned champion of the Chaos Gods, is an otherworldly figure of incredible power. Ancient even when the world-that-was was whole, aeons of scheming and subtle preparation are about to bear fruit as Be’lakor makes a power play of realm-shaking proportions in a bid to replace his hated rival Archaon in the esteem of his divine masters."

"Broken Realms: Be’lakor tells the story of his grand plan unleashed upon the realms of Order, following an unlikely alliance and the catastrophic after-effects of a mighty magical explosion. Not only will you be able to read all about Be’lakor at the moment of his greatest work, but also forces of the Seraphon, Stormcast Eternals, and Nighthaunt as they react to the Daemon Prince’s machinations."

Trailer

Shadow of the Dark Master - YouTube

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Looks like there will be some of the resolution to Nighthaunt vs. Stormcast soul wars stuff that I was complaining about not getting in Teclis.  I do kind of wish that we had gotten the soul wars resolution stuff during/before the book that covered Nagash's defeat, since nothing nothing that happens between the Nighthaunts and Stormcasts here could be as relevant to the overall Soul Wars plotline as what already happened in Teclis, but, and I do mean this sincerely, better late than never.

It would also be cool to see a bit of what Olynder might get up to with Nagash's hand off her chain, but I don't think we'll actually get to see that yet, since I'm guessing the events of Be'Lakor will more or less overlap with those of Teclis on the timeline.

5 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

Dialogues of Death pt. 2 :

"I already told you that, you can't kill whats already dead"

-Lord Kroak

"Can I worship the Old Ones instead of Nagash? I want a glow up!" 😿
-Arkhan

Edited by Neverchosen

Book 3 Predictions:

Be'lakor has a really big plan to plunge an entire realm into the warp. Tzeentch is on board, but the others are mostly absent (Khorne is busy prepping for the next book, Nurgle's in timeout and waiting for the whole rebirth of life Alarielle promised, and Slaanesh is having a baby). It's a McGuffin spell, so it half goes off, goes off but doesn't complete, or wasn't going to end the whole Mortal Realms anyway, and just disfigures Chamon.

Kroak feels a disturbance in the force, and will go on the attack. There won't be much character development here, and Kroak may even put over Be'lakor

Olynder's forces get sucked into the soul-catchers from Book 1. Teclis' sealing of the Necroquake will also affect her, breaking Nagash's grip and causing her to switch from attacking the Stormcast/City to trying to get revenge on Chaos. She'll also put over Be'lakor.

Barak-Zilfin gets dropped from the sky, probably on Be'lakor himself to end his machinations. He'll be sent back to the Chaos Realm. KO character death likely.

Stormcast figure a way to defeat the Soul-suckers with either shootcast or an alpha strike.

Book 4 Predictions (so far):

Launch date: Early May

Kragnos is back due to Teclis' spell. Sigmar likely knocked him out, but a chaos faction will get his ire due to wiping out his people.

Here's a dumb theory I put together after the Be'lakor short story in February. Let's see if any of this pans out:

First, we have this prophecy to from a few weeks ago:

The gate will shatter! The earth will tear! The sky shall eat the storm, and the serpent’s tide will rise! The Changer’s riddle is born anew by the splitting mirror of the Dark Prince!

Since we got confirmation of Belakor, I think it's safe to assume he's the Dark Prince. Let's take a look at his short story, too. What is he planning?

‘To destroy the impossible,’ said the winged monstrosity, rising from its shadowy throne. ‘And in doing so, to bring about the end of the eternal.’

So could it be that he's planning to destroy some kind of important mirror? I found this on a wiki, about a guy named Sanasay Bayla:

In the Age of Myth, Sanasay dwelt with his wife and children in the city of Andamar in the Realm of Ghyran and there was acclaimed as the finest thinker in the realm as well as the powerful mage. However despite his renown; happy family life and unmatched powers he grew restless, wanting a challenge and to find his true purpose in life. He sought the advice of the god, Teclis the Wise who impressed with his skills, set him on the path to find his way to Realm's End, a place of purest magic where he could gain untold knowledge and eternal life, but he also warned him that his quest may not bring him the satisfaction he sought.

He travelled to the Iron Temples to Grungni in the Realm of Chamon’s Ferron Vale and to the gates of where he sought where he was confronted by Afrener the guardian of the gate, the wolf at the door - a massive beast that only Death could kill. He finally was forced to plead a favour from Nagash himself who granted his wish in exchange for 500 years’ service upon his inevitable death. Finally he reached the object of his quest and found a daemon of Tzeentch waiting, although he did not at first recognise such a mythical creature.

Following a confrontation with that entity he returned home to his family but also warned the Pantheon that Chaos was now encroaching on the Mortal Realms and he created a potent magical artefact, the Mirror of Bayla for them to scry any location in the realms.

The mirror is currently located on Mount Celestian in Azyr, at the Court of the Gods:

Court of the Gods

At the centre of the city were temples and at their centre a tower of blue light- at its summit was the Court of the Gods, a colonnaded space from whose vantage all the Mortal Realms could be seen.

Thrones fit for the gods ringed it – bone for Nagash, white marble for Tyrion, silver for Teclis, dark stone for Malerion, fire-hued amber for Grimnir and rustless steel for his brother, Grungni. Alarielle's was of pale heartwood rooted in the stone, while Sigmar’s own gleamed golden. The thrones looked inward to the legendary Mirror of Bayla.

It was left deserted towards the end of the Age of Myth as the gods went their own ways and remained unused for millennia. After Sigmar had launched the new war against Chaos in the Age of Sigmar and his stormcast had found and awakened the goddess of life, he asked Alarielle to join him there once again to discuss matters beyond the war.

From what I can gather, Sigmar and the Pantheon of Order use the mirror as a tool in their defense against chaos. Specifically, there is a mention on one of the wikis that it was created in response to the growing threat of Tzeentch:

Mirror of Bayla: The most powerful mage of Realm of Ghyran Sanasay Bayla quests for Realm's End aided by many of the Pantheon. At the end of his long journey he discovers the growing threat of Tzeentch and crafts a magical mirror for the gods to view anywhere they wish.

Makes sense that it's harder for Tzeentch to keep his plans secret if the gods of order can view any location in the realms at any time.

It all seems to fit pretty well. Sanasay Bayla was apparently referenced in a recent Soulbound book, so it's not too bad of a pull. Maybe one of you has read the short story "Pantheon" which is apparently where most of this info comes from and has some better perspective on the mirror and how important it is.

• Like 1

I took the Dark Prince and the mirror to refer Slaanesh and either Sigvald (just through vague prophecy logic) or the Newborn (as a sort of reflection of Slaanesh) and generally I’d be leery of reading too much world-shaking stuff into a BL short story simply on the basis that GW studio writers seem to pay varying amounts of attention to them... but with BR we’ve already seen multiple deliberately ambiguous things (fanged shadowy figures meant to send the fandom into a frenzy over their identity) and this all would fit the whole broken realms idea by the mirror being an icon of the lost pantheon... So it’s an interesting one alright.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I took the Dark Prince and the mirror to refer Slaanesh and either Sigvald (just through vague prophecy logic) or the Newborn (as a sort of reflection of Slaanesh) and generally I’d be leery of reading too much world-shaking stuff into a BL short story simply on the basis that GW studio writers seem to pay varying amounts of attention to them... but with BR we’ve already seen multiple deliberately ambiguous things (fanged shadowy figures meant to send the fandom into a frenzy over their identity) and this all would fit the whole broken realms idea by the mirror being an icon of the lost pantheon... So it’s an interesting one alright.

Luckily, I have a reply to that prepared from two months ago, too! 😎

---

I was thinking the same with respect to the Dark Prince and Slaanesh at first. But GW has just been making so many connections between the term "prince" and Belakor in their recent preview. His reveal video is titled "The Rise of the First Prince", and the articel on Warhammer community has this to say:

We’re not going to give away too much right now, except to say that this is all tied in with the princely third book in the Broken Realms saga.

Plus, the recent short story really plays up the shadow angle, as does Belakors new model. I have seen him refered to as The Dark Master in some places, as well. I think the "dark prince" bit might be misdirection: The term would usually refer to Slaanesh, and that's why we were all thinking of that, but it could plausibly describe Belakor as well. That's how prophecies are in fiction, right? You think they mean one thing but it turns out to be another.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Dark Prince and the mirror to refer Slaanesh and either Sigvald (just through vague prophecy logic) or the Newborn (as a sort of reflection of Slaanesh)

Yeah, me too. The Dark Prince was always Slaanesh's title.  Be'lakor is the First Prince or the Dark Master. 

14 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

BL short story

Those kind of short stories (Malign Portents, Forbidden Power, Broken Realms) comes directly from the Studio or are strictly under Studio supervision, unlike things like "Dark Harvest".

The events of BR: Be'lakor will likely set up Kragnos being freed from under the mountain he's burried under. I think most people have been assuming that mountain is Beastgrave. But could it be a different place? What prominent mountains are there in AoS?

I can only think of a few others, besides Beastgrave. Mount Celestian, the seat of the gods, is one of them. Another would be Mount Avalenor in Hysh, which played a role in BR: Teclis. Maybe Titanspear Mountain, where Tempest's Eye is located.

I still think Beastgrave is the most fitting of these for the place of Kragnos' imprisonment, but I think Celestian or Avalenor would make interesting locations story-wise because of how important they are for Order as a whole and the Lumineth.

Ok, my bet:

• Book does not wholly play in curernt narrative time but instead in a longer period in the past with a block playing in current time
  • Belakor shemes how to get in controll of the Mortal realms for Chaos and how to get rid of Mortals since the fall of the World that was.
  • Some Plotpoints of the past become tied to Belakor. Maybe he pitched Nagash the Idea with the Necroquake and Shyish Nadir? Who knows, maybe he even told the Great Horned Rat to stop it. Remember that prior to the Necroquake Daemons were only able to get a foot on the Mortal Realms for a limited time and disappeared.
  • His absence from the Plot will be explained with a long term war on many fronts outside the realms against the Seraphon (which would also explain in hindsight why they were not part of the current narrative)
  • After Teclis ended the Soul Wars, Belakor goes into phase 2, something related to Chamon and beeing done with Tzeentch together. Maybe a new spell to let more deamons enter the Mortal Realms? Kharadron Fleets find this by accident and call for aid. Seraphon, led by Kroak, already were looking for Belakor and now come to help
  • Seraphon interrupt Belakor, but too late. Bela gains a new power, maybe inspired by Nagash's prior soul siphoning. As SCE arrive Bela has already the power to cath their souls and turn them into limitless power, new deamons or whatever. Similar to this he manages to siphon on the Seraphon who are not coalesced.
  • Belakor leaves the battle and heads with his deamons to the ols fortress of Nagash, using his absence after the lost battle with Teclis. Soulblight Gravelords who guard the city let him pass without battle as all was planned along to weaken Nagash even more and get rid of the Nighthaunt.
  • Belakor uses the remains of Nagash's Gravestone-Pyramid to recreate a Shyish Nadir, a giant soul siphon, this time to use thoose souls to feed Chaos and twist them into new deamon kohorts. SCE, Seraphon come to stop him. The Nighthaunt, seeing this as an existential threat, come to get rid of the invader. They form an unlikely Alliance with SCE and Seraphon against the common foe.
  • Who wins? Who's next?

1 hour ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Those kind of short stories (Malign Portents, Forbidden Power, Broken Realms) comes directly from the Studio or are strictly under Studio supervision, unlike things like "Dark Harvest".

Not this one though, 'Pantheon' is a conventional BL-published Guy Haley short from back in 2016.

@Neil Arthur HotepYeah, they do seem to be laying on the misdirection and ambivalence with all this BR stuff and more elegantly than usual. 

2 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Not this one though, 'Pantheon' is a conventional BL-published Guy Haley short from back in 2016.

Yes, I was referring to the first two short stories discussed by Neil about Be'lakor ;) And I agree that Pantheon is heavily dated and deviate from other Studio works (its description of "one" realm edge is in conflict with Malign Portents and AOS 2.0, for example).

Apparently the White Dwarf Flashpoint article links Be'lakor to Seraphon (and Kroak) in some measure, so I'm really looking forward to see how far Be'lakor impacts the whole narrative (and if the BR narrative is concluded by Broken Realms : Kroak in June, after Kragnos...).

And we still have TWO Broken Realms Monday, I guess at least one will be about Kragnos or Destruction...

• Like 1