Your most disappointing unit in the game

Mattrulesok

3 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Well, he got reanimated into one of the knight questors. There are loads of those, so special isn't really the right term.

Yeah, I'd prefer more Sigmarites over more copy/paste SCE too. I long for the spiritual successor of the Empire faction to get new minis. 

45 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Yeah, I'd prefer more Sigmarites over more copy/paste SCE too. I long for the spiritual successor of the Empire faction to get new minis. 

I heard from a reliable source that anything that even remotely reminds of the Empire or humans in general will be discontinued any second now. From someone named Snowsheep or something like that.

• Haha 8

19 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

I heard from a reliable source that anything that even remotely reminds of the Empire or humans in general will be discontinued any second now. From someone named Snowsheep or something like that.

Well, I'd hate for that to be true. And personally don't think it will be - sure, something very similar to the Empire of old won't be coming but I'm sure there'll be a true successor one day. Can be a mix out of dwarfs, elfs and humans like CoS (or simply an update for CoS with new minis) but I feel that's the one Order army that is really missing so far and could truly benefit the setting (I liked the empire-centric POV in Warhammer, I'm sure some disagree). I'd rather see that than more pure Aelves but oh well... let's hope for the best!

honestly i dont want another chamber. I want our sce dudes to be more points per unit and better. I feel like this should be a high stats elite army and its turning into an army where i can field 60 liberators into an stormkeep. This isnt feeling like the super elite though to kill army that works in synergie to beat overwelming odds.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Juicy said:

honestly i dont want another chamber. I want our sce dudes to be more points per unit and better. I feel like this should be a high stats elite army and its turning into an army where i can field 60 liberators into an stormkeep. This isnt feeling like the super elite though to kill army that works in synergie to beat overwelming odds.  

I feel the same way about Chaos Warriors . But I guess they want to sell more minis instead of making them true elite armies like they used to be. Oh and I got nothing against SCE actually in case my post suggested that - I'd just like to see average Joe Sigmarites too.

• Like 3

The old empire aesthetic is slowly fading from the realms never to return that is for sure. As it it is the worst unit are chaos knights these should still be the elitest cavalry in the game. They are at the moment okay but nowhere near the threat level they should be. Chaos warriors and liberators as well are pitiful. Run 10 liberators and 10 chaos warriors into each other and watch as you roll hundreds of dice and no one dies they just lightly slap each other.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Most of the carried over Death units are pretty terrible, grave guard (these used to be a massive step up from skeletons now not so much), skeletons, Blood Knights (getting a well placed charge off with these in 8th was something to behold, now I worry if they'll last a round of combat even if they charge).

Morghasts and Nagash almost became worth their points with the +1 save Petrifex gave them and then look what happened to that, although Morghasts did get a points reduction as compensation...

• 2 weeks later...

Gobbapalooza.  It's 5 distinctly different wacky Grots yet they have the most boring abilities in the Gitz army possible.  Two of them are mages that can't cast Arcane Bolt or Mystic Shield.  One member in particular is complete garbage unless you expect to get a ton of mileage out of specifically Skragrott's ranged attack.  They attack separately despite not being heroes as they're 5 separate units.  Want to know the two abilities they all share?  It's Look Out, Sire and a 4+ and 5+ save for the first two respective battle rounds.  Wow. 

What makes them particularly boring is that their Know-Wots have a 1/3 chance to just not even happen.  This is remedied by taking them as a Battalion, which also buffs the cast rolls on the pair of dunce mages by +1.  But the stupid mages can't learn any Lore of the Moonclans!  They can dispel, cast Endless Spells and cast their close-range gimmick spells, one of which is ignoring a potential Battleshock.  That's about it.  So it costs an additional 110pts to make a wacky ball of loony characters remotely entertaining.

Edited by Dingding123
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

In my Sylvaneth lists, Durthu consistently underperforms. He either duffs his attacks in combat or he dies out of combat, which isn't his fault because it's smart play to remove lethal monsters, but it's still a disappointment. Next to Drycha, who not only casts spells but also does her job reliably at range and in melee, Durthu us a chump.

In CoS, my Wildwood Rangers have traditionally failed to do what they needed to, but I've not played them since they were buffed. I suspect with flat 2 damage to monsters they'll be rather great.

In Lumineth, whilst my army remains unbuilt, the Stoneguard seem extremely unappealing from a damage-dealing perspective. In every battle report I've seen them used, they've simply not done what they need to do to be a backbone of an army. If anything, they are best as a bunker and home objective holder, while the Auralan units do the serious lifting.  It means you'll need like 3 cows to do your damage for you, or you'll need to bring lots of archers to do damage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Dingding123 said:

Gobbapalooza.  It's 5 distinctly different wacky Grots yet they have the most boring abilities in the Gitz army possible.  Two of them are mages that can't cast Arcane Bolt or Mystic Shield.  One member in particular is complete garbage unless you expect to get a ton of mileage out of specifically Skragrott's ranged attack.  They attack separately despite not being heroes as they're 5 separate units.  Want to know the two abilities they all share?  It's Look Out, Sire and a 4+ and 5+ save for the first two respective battle rounds.  Wow. 

What makes them particularly boring is that their Know-Wots have a 1/3 chance to just not even happen.  This is remedied by taking them as a Battalion, which also buffs the cast rolls on the pair of dunce mages by +1.  But the stupid mages can't learn any Lore of the Moonclans!  They can dispel, cast Endless Spells and cast their close-range gimmick spells, one of which is ignoring a potential Battleshock.  That's about it.  So it costs an additional 110pts to make a wacky ball of loony characters remotely entertaining.

And it is a shame. The models are Awesome. I actually bought into GG because my wife gave me Gobbapalooza as a gift out of the blue because she loved then.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 11/7/2020 at 2:28 PM, Phasteon said:

Yes, SCE in general are a very disappointing army - regarding their lore. 

Well the lore in total is a bit disappointing.

the last time I read the battletome, it was mostly about how great these guys at winning battles.

Although it isn’t as bad as it was at the beginning.

ps: probably in my eyes the most disappointing unit would be the doom flayer.

this thing should be a menace in melee cutting down anything that just dares to charge it front on.

it is even known as the dwarf menace, for being so extremely effective in tunnel fights, at least that is what it was before aos and in the lore.

now it’s...

I’m not really sure what it is now, a 60point tax for having the only good looking weapon team on the table???

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

After the points buff ironbreakers and longbeards arent the worst units of aos(they are yet very bad due to be overcosted for4" move)

But sorceress on black dragon remain as the single worst unit of all aos.

300 points for a mage with only one spell,save of 5 and around 8 damage in melle??

Verminlord,idoneth monster mage,keeper of secret,kroak.......the list is very long with mages of around that cost that have a save of 4 AND a save after save of 4\5 AND two spells.

The sorceress need cost 240 points or have two spells with a save of 4 and save after save of 4\5 to be balanced vs every other similar cost mage

Edited by Doko
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Doko said:

But sorceress on black dragon remain as the single worst unit of all aos.vs every other similar cost mage

There's a worse unit, and it's even found within Cities of Sigmar as well: The Battlemage on Griffin.

It has the costs the same as the sorceress, 300 points, but it has worse spells, no command ability, no cast bonus and no synergies. I regularly forget it even exists, though, so it's not as big a disappointment.

• Like 4

Yes you are rigth,but as his other option(karl franz) is good then there isnt problem because you can use the model.

But the problem is that both black dragon warscrolls are horrible and umplayables.

I found one similar model,the seraphon mage on troglodon.....but have a cost of 250. As i said sorceress need cost 250 to be balanced vs models that nobody use because they say are bad as the troglodon so that speak for the sorceress at 300

Agreed on the Sorceress on dragon. I was really hoping she would at least be  a 4+ and a double caster with the Cities book. Not to be though. Shes utter trash for her cost and somehow in the same book as the Dreadlord on Black dragon.... at the SAME COST. Unbelievable. 

She could be 200 points or 240 and a double caster and still only be borderline playable. 

The battlemage on griffon is absolute king of useless though.

Edited by TheCovenLord
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2020 at 3:48 PM, Doko said:

But the problem is that both black dragon warscrolls are horrible and umplayables.

If you play Living City, Dreadlord can be great (either 2+ save variant or infiltrating-guaranteed charge-crossbow one). There have been successful tournament list using the sorceress as well, she's a bit underpowered but she has some unique uses no other character in the roster can replace - so she works only as an element of some particular combo builds. The griffon mage, on the other hand, is just patethically useless. If anyone ever considers him, the sorceress will be straight up better even outside of the builds that make her useful, that's how bad he is. He might be an only CoS unit to *never* feature in any tournament list with any degree of success.

If sorceress got cheaper or gained a 2nd cast she'd be quite good without any weird tactics required. Griffon mage would be useless even then. It's actually quite an incredible feat of game design to make something so bad. :D

• Like 6

I cant understand why ppl see chaos knights or chaos warriors as bad units. I played a lot with them, with 2 hand weapons and a warshrine they just areanyoning. 2 attachs at 3 rerolling  wound at 3 rerolling, and have a save od 3+ rerolling, and had a special save of 6+. How can that be bad?

The same for chaos knights, you can cast the daemonic power on 10 chaos knights and they literally delete all he touch at charge.

Well, after say that, for me, the worst unit in game are the bloodreavers and some warcry warbands, they are just a meat wall. But thebloodreavers more than all.  His save is 6+, they have a single attack, and the only rule is stay wholly whitin 12" of the bloodsecrator, if you dont do it, they are really really bad. I think this units are a 60 points units, tey are totaññy a wall meat.

• LOVE IT! 1

• 2 months later...

Blood Sisters post Shadow & Pain. I used to love blood sisters for the absolutely massive area a big unit of them could dominate and for being less fragile and buff reliant than Witch Aelves.

Then shadow and pain came out and nerfed their mortal wound ability into the ground in exchange for completely impractical army buffs (Morathi gives them +1 attack but is so expensive you can't realistically take her and any significant amount of blood sisters in the same list, the ironscale gives +1 attack once out of every hundred games if you're willing to sacrifice half a squad of blood sisters to let her attack first, and zainthar kai gives +1 attack if they ban all the good temples and you have to settle for the worst subfaction in the book.)

Combine that with the new battletome nerfing every melee unit across the board whether directly or through witchbrew/sect changes AND a points increase (They went down to 130 for 5 but lost their large unit bonus which means the common squad of ten configuration when down 20pts while the second most common squad of 20 configuration went UP 40) and you have a unit that is now utterly outclassed by it's own little sister unit(blood stalkers) that WOULD have been my answer to this question pre-Shadow & Pain.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 5

On 11/29/2020 at 3:01 AM, Dingding123 said:

I like the models a lot. I just use the mages as basic shamans or use them for warcry.

My most disappointing unit are the spider riders.
They cost quite a lot and they always die fast or lose to other cav.
The models also look  a bit dated next to the newer Gitz and the bigger spiders.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 3:37 PM, Fred1245 said:

Blood Sisters post Shadow & Pain. I used to love blood sisters for the absolutely massive area a big unit of them could dominate and for being less fragile and buff reliant than Witch Aelves.

Then shadow and pain came out and nerfed their mortal wound ability into the ground in exchange for completely impractical army buffs (Morathi gives them +1 attack but is so expensive you can't realistically take her and any significant amount of blood sisters in the same list, the ironscale gives +1 attack once out of every hundred games if you're willing to sacrifice half a squad of blood sisters to let her attack first, and zainthar kai gives +1 attack if they ban all the good temples and you have to settle for the worst subfaction in the book.)

Combine that with the new battletome nerfing every melee unit across the board whether directly or through witchbrew/sect changes AND a points increase (They went down to 130 for 5 but lost their large unit bonus which means the common squad of ten configuration when down 20pts while the second most common squad of 20 configuration went UP 40) and you have a unit that is now utterly outclassed by it's own little sister unit(blood stalkers) that WOULD have been my answer to this question pre-Shadow & Pain.

4+ 5++ unit in Hagg naar (that also gets you to cast Witchbrew  on 2+ Turn 3 onwards) with a better crystal touch effect and if you play the vyperic guard battalion you get a free 1/Battle run and charge roll (add a Ghur battlemage with the wildform spell as an ally for maximum memes) is week? 

DoK Battletome is universally agreed to be a very goood battletome for the faction. Everything had its cost reduced accross the board and more temples are competitive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2