Corona Virus and The Hobby

Nos

The global death rate has tripled in the last week to almost a thousand people dying in a single day yesterday. That's really not a trajectory we want to see continue. Yesterday was also the worst day so far for infections with 15,000 confirmed new infections. 

Anything we can possibly do to slow that trajectory will literally save lives.

It's not every day you have a chance to be a hero by just not going out. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I know it's hard to wrap our heads around, but right now, no matter how healthy you feel or how few deaths you have in your locality, you need to react properly and get the heck out of public life. In other words, if you wait until the jaws of the Mawkrusha are open around your neck, it's too late. Avoid the battlefield to begin with so that the beast has zero chance to eat you (or your Grandma).

If people want to see the effect of people ignoring quarantines- Korea's outbreak was caused by 1 person escaping quarantine and infection 2 new pools of people, leading to deaths. These measures are not to keep us safe, they're to keep others safe. 

• Like 6

Roll20 is quite a good platform for online games. Its designed for rpgs, but its quite easy to set up a battle field, and use images from the GW webstore for units in an army. I'd recomend using it in tandem with a good voice chat program though. Its audio features let it down. Even so it has the easiest learning curve of any virtual table top I've tried, and has everything you'd need for aos dice rolling, etc.

• Like 1

I’ve made a list of ways we can all have games with our friends or frenemies:

https://www.astraltabletop.com/

https://roll20.net/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/Tabletop_Simulator/

https://www.polygon.com/game/fantasy-grounds/38320

sone of them are better suited for RPGs and I‘ve only tested the Tabletop Simulator (which is great).

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

So, yeah, several drinks into the night and I'm gonna recommend a thing:

Find 10 peeps you like, mixed genders. Have them all buy water, soup, and paint.

Invite them to your home with a rule that stay when they enter, and cannot leave until the virus is over.

Paint.

Drink.

Game.

Have a super sexy time.

Just saying.

Quarantine can be fun.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

I just leave this post here. Because basicly it has to do with corona.

Germany closed "unnecessary" stores today so  games workshop stores are closed in germany.

After I order my stuff to the store I won't get my order until store opens again.

I really hope that there will be no 2. Player Campaign boxes during that time because I will have no change for getting the background inside it then.

20 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Germany closed "unnecessary" stores today so  games workshop stores are closed in germany.

After I order my stuff to the store I won't get my order until store opens again.

I really hope that there will be no 2. Player Campaign boxes during that time because I will have no change for getting the background inside it then.

Just buy such boxes via the official GW Store if you were going to buy it from a GW directly anyways :)

On 3/16/2020 at 11:51 PM, Beastmaster said:

At least we will have lots of painting time on our hands in the next weeks

Wish that were true, but I can work 100% from home and as an Attorney there is a hell of things to do right now for our clients with all the state aids needed for businesses, insolvencies and so forth. I'm stuck at home right next to all my toys and can't play with them :(((

Edited by Naem

2 hours ago, EMMachine said:

It's safe to assume there won't be anything new released any time soon to be honest. 

At times like this I wish games like warhammer underworlds wasnt locked behind a pay wall. I think GW really missed the mark in an era of F2P games where people can buy the cards/stuff they need ingame. Especially now in the whole quarantine.

15 minutes ago, Kugane said:

At times like this I wish games like warhammer underworlds wasnt locked behind a pay wall. I think GW really missed the mark in an era of F2P games where people can buy the cards/stuff they need ingame. Especially now in the whole quarantine.

It hasn‘t been produced by GW. GW only granted a license.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Andrethegreat said:

I think it is sad that China will get away with this, after hurting millions of peoples around world, when this ****** is done it will be business as usual. and why don't we do things like this for flu out brakes.

Barring some psychotic people, I don't think many people wish this type of harm upon themselves or others. So I don't think blame or responsibility should lie with them. Diseases happen, and with the way our population density and globalization keeps increasing, we are going to face more outbreaks like this, many could even be worse than Corona.

What I feel is slightly rediculous is the fact that all of this could have been avoided if people practiced some proper hygiene. Also, acting before infections start, not after, would have been a huge help to avoid all this.

If the quarantine started globally the moment they started seeing it spread to other countries, the disease could have been contained much easier. Yet, the majority just stood by waiting for stuff to get serious before taking any proper action.

Edited by Kugane

4 hours ago, Andrethegreat said:

I think it is sad that China will get away with this, after hurting millions of peoples around world, when this  is done it will be business as usual. and why don't we do things like this for flu out brakes.

+++ MOD HAT +++

Don't think that playing the blame game is the right approach to take here.  It's irrelevant which country this came out of or why, just that we try and tackle it in the best way we can whilst protecting the vulnerable, and develop a working vaccine as quickly and safely as possible.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Andrethegreat said:

I think it is sad that China will get away with this, after hurting millions of peoples around world, when this  is done it will be business as usual. and why don't we do things like this for flu out brakes.

We know for a fact (99.99 certainty) that it was not man made and that it was transferred from animals around November 2019 (less certain on the actual date).  

• Like 1

Yeah please let's not let this thread descend into something nasty. We're all going to have a load of time to do some hobby.

I've had to cancel our monthly tournament as there's a chance I'm now infected, so I've got 14 days at home! Loads of stores and community figures are doing streams and hangouts which is really going to help!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Yeah please let's not let this thread descend into something nasty. We're all going to have a load of time to do some hobby.

I've had to cancel our monthly tournament as there's a chance I'm now infected, so I've got 14 days at home! Loads of stores and community figures are doing streams and hangouts which is really going to help!

Hope you're not infected but if you are I think the community would appreciate checking in with some hands on experience. 

Best of luck. 🤜💥🤛

Gives me time to sit down and finish a bunch of conversions that I have been putting off for being time consuming I guess. Already made more strides on a converted Big Mek today than I have in months. I just need to fill some gaps and make one little hydraulic-looking piece. After that, it's off to making little houses for my Gloomspite army using a bunch of Easter eggs, gauze, twine, and tape, like this guy made. I think I will add little chimneys and rude graffiti,

Stay safe everyone, be nice to your fellow person, and get some hobbying done.

• Like 2

I am spending confinement in the countryside here in france, at my girlfriends place. Sadly I don’t have any miniatures or paints here. BUT I have ordered some cheap poxwalkers on ebay, and I have some art acrylics. So the plan is to paint my minis with those (thoroughly thinned) and build some cool terrain with mossy stones and branches. While I am pretty worried about my older relatives, I’m excited to start this quarantine project to take my mind off of things.

All/most/lots of the stocks are crashing by and large. 

If anything I'd expect GW stock to actually perform better than some others - as a company they are still very functional in most respects at present. It will hit their highstreet shops hard, but their production end should last out until forced to close. Plus because they've not loaded up on debt they should be able to ride it out like they ride out most economic instabilities in the market. 

2 hours ago, Overread said:

All/most/lots of the stocks are crashing by and large. 

If anything I'd expect GW stock to actually perform better than some others - as a company they are still very functional in most respects at present. It will hit their highstreet shops hard, but their production end should last out until forced to close. Plus because they've not loaded up on debt they should be able to ride it out like they ride out most economic instabilities in the market. 

BBC News - 12:16, 19th of March 2020:

“Games Workshop, the World leading producer of miniatures and games, and creator of the popular „Space Marine“ franchise has been performing well despite of the Covid-19 epidemic. All of their retail shops within Europe had to shut down during the development of the crisis, yet their losses were dampened by a rise of online sales, as our sources claim. The company seems to be a rare exception in these demanding times and overall Games Workshop seemed to be fine, until this morning, when dramatic events unfolded:

Due to a lack of workers and the pressure to keep the production going one employee accidentally overheated one of their machines, used for the production of plastic miniatures and caused a fire. Too late the fire was discovered, so it spread throughout the entire factory complex engulfing everything in flames. Yet the situation somehow got worse as a so called „Warpgate“ manifested right above the second production facility, demanding „Blood for the Blood God and Skulls for the Skullthrone“ - the perplexed firefighters and employees did not meet the Warpgate‘s demands in time it seems. A few more seconds passed then the Gate vomited forth a torrent of burning blood, incinerating the second factory building. In the meantime winged creatures charged out of the gate towards the GW headquarters. The mostly winged creatures fly out of the Gate in such numbers, that even the ground started shacking, just to be ripped asunder and burned alive by massive beams of lightning raining down from the skies until the Headquarter was surrounded by hulking gilded figures shouting out a Greek letter. „Sigma!“ was echoed a thousandfold by each golden  hone - as a shocked worker told us.

We had a chance to talk to the Lead Game Designer Jarvis Johnsson who only hastily answered with one cryptic Sentence: „I hope these Sigmarites don‘t roll as many ones as I do when I play them“! - He then continued, with renewed vigour, to hastily write down notes into an archaic leather-bound book“.

Keep up to date with our live ticker.

- All of this is Fake News, I just had to make at least a few people smile in these times 😃 

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

BBC News - 12:16, 19th of March 2020:

“Games Workshop, the World leading producer of miniatures and games, and creator of the popular „Space Marine“ franchise has been performing well despite of the Covid-19 epidemic. All of their retail shops within Europe had to shut down during the development of the crisis, yet their losses were dampened by a rise of online sales, as our sources claim. The company seems to be a rare exception in these demanding times and overall Games Workshop seemed to be fine, until this morning, when dramatic events unfolded:

Due to a lack of workers and the pressure to keep the production going one employee accidentally overheated one of their machines, used for the production of plastic miniatures and caused a fire. Too late the fire was discovered, so it spread throughout the entire factory complex engulfing everything in flames. Yet the situation somehow got worse as a so called „Warpgate“ manifested right above the second production facility, demanding „Blood for the Blood God and Skulls for the Skullthrone“ - the perplexed firefighters and employees did not meet the Warpgate‘s demands in time it seems. A few more seconds passed then the Gate vomited forth a torrent of burning blood, incinerating the second factory building. In the meantime winged creatures charged out of the gate towards the GW headquarters. The mostly winged creatures fly out of the Gate in such numbers, that even the ground started shacking, just to be ripped asunder and burned alive by massive beams of lightning raining down from the skies until the Headquarter was surrounded by hulking gilded figures shouting out a Greek letter. „Sigma!“ was echoed a thousandfold by each golden  hone - as a shocked worker told us.

We had a chance to talk to the Lead Game Designer Jarvis Johnsson who only hastily answered with one cryptic Sentence: „I hope these Sigmarites don‘t roll as many ones as I do when I play them“! - He then continued, with renewed vigour, to hastily write down notes into an archaic leather-bound book“.

Keep up to date with our live ticker.

- All of this is Fake News, I just had to make at least a few people smile in these times 😃 

You had me until warpgate.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, InSaint said:

Next month is a good time to buy GWS stocks, it is crashing because of the virus...

Agreed. I sold half of mine juuuuust before the fall (so, at about $90/share). That more than covered the cost to buy initially (at about $40/share). So, even if it goes to zero, I came out ahead.

That said, absolutely plan to buy back in heavily as we start to come out of this or if the price dips to under $15. You've definitely got the right idea.