Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

2 hours ago, NorthernNurgling said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been following the teasers since the first announcement and saving money for the eventual release, but it's been a strange process. It goes like this:

Step 1) I get all hyped imagining what the models will look like

Step 2) The release is shown and it is nothing like I imagined

Step 3) I go to bed that night thinking "well I'm not collecting those"

Step 4) I wake up the next day, look at the models again and think "Actually these guys look fantastic!"

Is anyone else going through this process or am I developing schizophrenia??

It's been a process of consistently lowering expectations, for sure.

In January, I was all aboard clearing my whole schedule so I could spend the rest of the year working on just Lumineth. Right about now I just want to see the whole range before I decide whether or not I want to commit. It's a real step down, but the frustrating thing almost all of the models are so close to being what I want.

I actually love the spears and the Cav.  Wasn't expecting the plumes but I don't have any real issue with them. Archers, I don't like the weird three string bows but otherwise they look fine. Eltharion is of course amazing.  Bull Monster looks awesome, but when I try to envision him and Teclis as my army centerpiece models for new High Elves my eyes get a bit twitchy.

The Hammer Bros, the helmets are just terrible and even having a night to sleep on it hasn't changed my mind. I don't really love the goofy looking hammers either. I think the Mountain Mage is really neat as a concept but I've got not desire to keep fixing that thing as it probably snaps off it's base repeatedly.

The root of the problem is there are just too many models so far that I have problems with to be truly excited. Yes yes, it's possible that it's just the Mountain guys that are doofy but we don't really have anything else to go off of at this stage, and we don't know how much of the range remains unrevealed.

Honestly, at this point if GW drops a single solid hint that Kurnothi are coming I'd probably push any Lumineth plans out another year, that's about where I'm at right now.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think GW did a poor job of setting expectations with this release. The articles discussed all the elements equally for the most part and discussed Tyrion quite a bit as well. There was Phoenix-dragon iconography too which had everyone hyped. If they were just planning to release the mountain subfaction (which seems very likely now), they should have focused on that in the articles. The "BIG" adepticon reveal was disappointing as it was just 2 units. I hope they reveal more next weekend but I doubt it'll be Tyrion/other elements at this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adeeb said:

I think GW did a poor job of setting expectations with this release. The articles discussed all the elements equally for the most part and discussed Tyrion quite a bit as well. There was Phoenix-dragon iconography too which had everyone hyped. If they were just planning to release the mountain subfaction (which seems very likely now), they should have focused on that in the articles. The "BIG" adepticon reveal was disappointing as it was just 2 units. I hope they reveal more next weekend but I doubt it'll be Tyrion/other elements at this point. 

Thus why it is more likely a lot more is still to come rather than this just being the mountain aspect. You think they're just going to officially reveal the veil-lady and be like "yup, now we're done?" 

• Like 1

I get why many People are all shook up by this reveal...... I am too.  These aren't High Elves anymore, their :Lumina Realm Lords'..... "" change isn't real change unless it hurts.... 

People care about this Faction, that's why they've gotten a bit riled up - it feels like such a departure from the High Elves of old..... 

Just to clarify, I love the 'Lore', so far, of the Mountain ⛰, the Shamanic stuff is close to my heart and also aligns nicely with my Sylvaneth.... 

I think I kinda like the big Mountain Bull (?) "Spirits too - I could see them marching with my Tree Lords quite nicely..... 😁 

I'm not overly impressed with the Bull helmeted Elves, I think they look a bit silly.... 

I'm not overly impressed with the hammer wielding Elves, as some stated earlier 'It's unbecoming of Elves...' 

I wonder what the next Reveal will be; Zenith 'Dragon - Phoenixy-thing' would be fantastic!  😜 

• Like 1

@michu I was refering specifically to the pic of the Stoneguard with out the elven heads and just the cow heads on top.  If you show those models to anyone, told them nothing about them at all, then asked what race or faction they might belong to, what kind of answer do you think you'll get?

And I'm sorry, but GW did kind of shoot themselves in the foot with this.  They specifically said that this release harkens back to the elves of old.  And I do enjoy the archers, spearmen, and cavalry that are coming.  But the mental association with the elves of old is there, along with even the first preview annointing them the "pointy aelves."

The old high elves were graceful beings, and the animals associated with them continued this trend.  Eagles, dragons, phoenixes, lions, and even horses to a lesser extent are all graceful, swift creatures.  Further, with the exception of the horses, they are all sleek, predatory, dangerous beings.  So we've gone from that mental association to a creature that is largely looked upon as slow, clumsy, and a prey animal by pretty much the entire animal kingdom, humans included.

I'm not telling you not to like them.  I'm not telling you you're wrong for liking them.  But I do feel it's disingenuous to build up such a hype about the return of something like the high elves, only to take such a hard left turn.  If so many comparisons hadn't been made from the start, perhaps so many people wouldn't be feeling burnt by this unit now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

18 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

Hammers on Aelves just looks wrong, no other way to put it. I'm excited, but combined with how bad I think the Teclis sculpt looks I'm not going to get my hopes up on loving the rest of the aesthetic... 

it really doesn't, the models overall look great aside from the helmets. y'all need to get over this hump of fantasy aesthetics being ~required~ to fit into what dead authors used in their own works decades ago. breathing new life into fantasy aesthetics is how you actually move your brand forward

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Ian Wallsh said:

Respectfully, everyone is entitled to their own opinion..... 

they are, but i'm tired of any changes to what is completely malleable, fictional lore getting such pushback because it doesn't remind people of what they were reading/watching/playing 10+ years ago. we went from this thread being a discussion to half the posts complaining that these somehow aren't "real aelves"

Europe and the US don't consider cows anything special, that's not the entire world's attitude about cows. India seems them as graceful, beautiful creatures worthy of reverence. Oxen have always been a symbol of strength and resilience to agricultural peoples, including in the Mediterranean and Europe. It's not farfetched to think that a group of aelves could find grace and poise through oxen. the idea that these ethereal beings have come to revere rudimentary animals of their realm, as a way of healing the rift between them and the spirits that reside in it, is REALLY good as a lore aspect--and yet people can't get past "cow and hammers" to see what this actually means for these new aelves.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

27 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

it really doesn't, the models overall look great aside from the helmets. y'all need to get over this hump of fantasy aesthetics being ~required~ to fit into what dead authors used in their own works decades ago. breathing new life into fantasy aesthetics is how you actually move your brand forward

It really does - that's how opinions work. The massive hammer-head looks out of place with the slender Aelven frames in my eyes. 

If you want to "breathe new life into fantasy aesthetics", then something a little more inspired than "hammer" would likely do a better job of it. 

• Like 2

And boy do they get the talk up with these jabs.

Nuff said about what's to like or not with these models (like em or not the QUALITY is amazing!), i'm curious how other aspects will turn out. This cannot be all, as most of us agree, and i'm interested whether we will see more elite infantry and monsters for the other elements or some shooters or engines or (bestial?) cavalry.

Ox helms aren't up my alley but the sheer design potential... i'm more hyped now, after a release i find mostly meh, than i've been in the last two months.

7 hours ago, NorthernNurgling said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been following the teasers since the first announcement and saving money for the eventual release, but it's been a strange process. It goes like this:

Step 1) I get all hyped imagining what the models will look like

Step 2) The release is shown and it is nothing like I imagined

Step 3) I go to bed that night thinking "well I'm not collecting those"

Step 4) I wake up the next day, look at the models again and think "Actually these guys look fantastic!"

Is anyone else going through this process or am I developing schizophrenia??

Feel exactly the same way. The preview really threw me yesterday but after letting it sink in for 24 hours I love the mountain bullyaks now. 

• Like 1

I don't get this pushback about Elves and hammers either to be honest..if it was good enough for Tolkien and middle earth then why is it not fitting enough for Age of Sigmar? 

Also they can presumably control rock so why would they use a weapon that wasnt effectively a large rock on a stick? 

Edited by Damosane
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

All I know is I gotta eat crow. That giant cracked hammer wasn't part of a siege engine after all, just part of a siege cow!

honestly I have to say, once Lumineth comes out there may be a bigger market for AOS parts on shape ways with alternate helmets. I have to say I'm willing to put in some legwork to make these guys better, and the ministry of silly helmets has it's own charm.  I think that the Oxen guys are really cool too. They're animated mountains with giant hammers, and unlike some other units their hammers are not too bulky.

besides... more people get killed by cows every year than by sharks, so a cow being a defenseless animal never really rang clear to me.

Edited by Acid_Nine

Sorry for the double post, but wanted to have a new notification to send just to see what other people think.

I was looking through some bits online rather than doing homework, and I found some potential bits that could be fun replacements for the cow totems:

some modification required, but a spartan helmet: https://www.shapeways.com/product/5NHR7LTSG/next-gen-spartans-helmets-x10-or-x20?optionId=149428714&li=marketplace

a stormcast conversion helmet, but could work pretty well: https://www.shapeways.com/product/UT2YDEP4E/heaven-sentinel-helmet-2-generation?optionId=112186590&li=marketplace

Puppets war hoplite helmet: https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/all-bits/heads/hoplite-helmets.html

Puppets war sentinel helmet: https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/all-bits/heads/hunter-helmets.html

puppets war paladin helmet: https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/all-bits/heads/paladin-helmets.html

and finally, some top knots for those other conversions I saw people put up: https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-50/fantasy/bits/topknots.html

no clue what the scale would be because these are obviously space marine helmets, but it may be able to work better than the totem.

I think one of the problem I am having is this: I'm totally fine with them giving HE an AOS update, and I have loved the reimagined factions so far. But they have painted the Lumineth in a classic Ulthuan colour scheme.

To me the Mountain Aspect warriors give off a Tibetan vibe - I bet if the colour scheme leaned into that warrior-monk vibe the models would look much more appealing. But if you are going to push these guys in a new direction, push with the painting as well as the aesthetic. 

I've done a full 180 on this range. Imagine the Stoneguard with Buddhist-ish orange and burgundy robes. Swap out some of the gold for bronze. Switch the pearl gemstones for jade. I think this would give a much more appealing vibe personally. I can see the Yak-Spirit looking like a walking temple, and I'd paint Celennar as a snow leopard.

I'd probably keep all the helms as I don't have the skill to convert, but one thing I might try for my elites or even just a hero would be a Namarti head with a green-stuff blindfold on for the old "blind master" meme. 

Overall feeling much more positive once I stop anticipating what they might look like and start playing with what they actually look like - hope others start to feel the same way.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lucur said:

And boy do they get the talk up with these jabs.

Nuff said about what's to like or not with these models (like em or not the QUALITY is amazing!), i'm curious how other aspects will turn out. This cannot be all, as most of us agree, and i'm interested whether we will see more elite infantry and monsters for the other elements or some shooters or engines or (bestial?) cavalry.

Ox helms aren't up my alley but the sheer design potential... i'm more hyped now, after a release i find mostly meh, than i've been in the last two months.

At least: something that flies (cavalry and/or monster), a war machine and a hero (besides the lady). If they wouldn’t give us some kind oh Phoenix I would be really surprised. 

So, given that Mountain, Air and River are fairly self-explanatary, I am very curious to find out what Zenith represents.  My initial guess would be Light given that  it's the overriding element of the Realm, but that may be too obvious.  What do people think?

• Like 1

Yeah really good question. It doesn't really fit conceptually with the other three. I always thought it's sun and moon (so T&T) together.

But that's also questionable, because they always talk about 4 full factions all with their own mages and warrior guilds. It doesn't really sound like Zenith is above the other three hierarchically, although it's hard to avoid making that connotation in your mind. And what we heard from them in the last reveal, if they Lumineth have to make amends to the Sun/Moon spirits, does that mean they ****** up so badly that they even ruined the Sun and Moon of Hysh? That'd be something. 

I still think though Sun and Moon is the most likely. We already know that those spirits exist, and they wouldn't make sense in any of the 3 other cultures (but of course they could just be above all of them, I also would think T&T are above the 4 cultures, not part of one. But it could be something hierarchically and zenith is just the top). All the moon, sun and Phoenix symbols don't make much sense otherwise. I also still think the Phoenix Temple might be part of the zenith faction. The Phoenix Temple fits in thematically really well with the Lumineth. 

Really interested what others think about that.