Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

Flagged on a Facebook Group but it’s going to be soon as physical copies are out

IMG_4248.png.ed95f0010cf0062b842d777124b62349.png

This is from the Squarebase podcast doing a review of the recent articles. The book is flashed for a couple of seconds towards the end of the show and nothing is revealed.

However, seeing this suggests it’s  not long before it comes out 🤣

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

21 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Can't imagine leaks will be far behind either, given the influencer track records on other products. 

Most likely. I don’t think it will be these guys as one host made it clear he’s not playing any other games until the other host signs a NDA with GW.

To be fair GW have already show quite a lot of it off now and it looks like it will be fun. Big thing will be how much the army boxes are as well the the miniatures. I can see me playing TOW in future but will depend on local scene

1 hour ago, petitionercity said:

Posted in rumours, but love this wee change 

Screenshot_20231220-154557~2.png

That observation re: the foot knights caused a stir among the grosser elements of the WHFB fandom when they were revealed. 

McNeill’s comments in the article do suggest that there’s explicitly female knights, at least in this era, but then we always had Repanse de Lyonesse anyway and the old WFRP Bretonnia supplement specifically permitting female knights either when disguised as men (pointing out that even a half-hearted disguise would easily fool most Bretonnians because they’re so blinkered) or just by player choice because it’s not always fun to play the sexism that strongly.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

That observation re: the foot knights caused a stir among the grosser elements of the WHFB fandom when they were revealed. 

McNeill’s comments in the article do suggest that there’s explicitly female knights, at least in this era, but then we always had Repanse de Lyonesse anyway and the old WFRP Bretonnia supplement specifically permitting female knights either when disguised as men (pointing out that even a half-hearted disguise would easily fool most Bretonnians because they’re so blinkered) or just by player choice because it’s not always fun to play the sexism that strongly.

Witnessing that reaction kind of put me off of interacting with the existing Old World communities. Really hoping they become more welcoming when the game actually launches and new players start coming in.

13 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Witnessing that reaction kind of put me off of interacting with the existing Old World communities. Really hoping they become more welcoming when the game actually launches and new players start coming in.

Fortunately it's just a few hidebound peeps so far in the main Facebook group; im not sure whether to even reply to one man's long essay in response to my post 🤔

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, petitionercity said:

Fortunately it's just a few hidebound peeps so far in the main Facebook group; im not sure whether to even reply to one man's long essay in response to my post 🤔

That's good to hear. The warhammer fantasy subreddit was pretty bad. But at least the worst takes were pretty consistently downvoted.

32 minutes ago, petitionercity said:

This is why I play undead and chaos: can’t complain about female models when your faction is either a pile of bones or mutating into daemonic abominations.

hnnnn the models have same torso,only change the head.

and gw female models looks as mens,so i dont think nobody gonna see if they are  male or female.

in fact i have built 40 steelhelms and i didnt saw any female head,or i saw every head as males. but it seems after see some youtuve vids that some heads are females

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I do wonder is squarebased have ended up on a blacklist just for showing off the cover, i dont think ive ever seen someone with influencer previews tell everyone to drum up subs before so presumably GW arent keen on it? They had previously posted about having the book on FB groups. I guess they wont say either way to stop spite leaks? 

In my experience the kind of cretins who moan online about their toy soldiers being women either rarely come out to play games or at least keep a lid on it, just regular everyday misogyny :/ 

I do find it quite funny that the first Old World novel is largely not set in the actual Old World though, tickles me :D

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bolfrig Bearhide said:

Seen some rumours that step up is no longer a thing, and if that’s true I’m a little bit worried. As a dwarf player, I’d be quite upset if the ability for my units to actually attack something is vastly reduced. 

I was thinking about that as I've been playing some 7th edition with friends lately (and I'm playing dwarfs after playing wood elves while WHFB was still a thing, so I get the pain).

On the one side, not hitting back most times is frustrating, but on the other, step-up kind of makes initiative redundant in case there's more than 10 models in a unit that goes second.

I've come to the conclusion that the addition of entire first rank hitting no matter the base contact might be a way to make the no step-up less punishing, but retain the tactical element it brings to the table (in theory, at least).

Edited by KingKull
  • Like 1

I find myself idly wondering how they're going to handle troops that will exist in both TOW and AoS. Like... Chaos Warriors. Are they going to be supplied with both square and round bases? And good luck getting them to rank up. I can't imagine that they'd bring back models that have been supplanted by new ones, and be selling two different designs of the same thing! 

Time will tell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

I find myself idly wondering how they're going to handle troops that will exist in both TOW and AoS. Like... Chaos Warriors. Are they going to be supplied with both square and round bases? And good luck getting them to rank up. I can't imagine that they'd bring back models that have been supplanted by new ones, and be selling two different designs of the same thing! 

Time will tell.

I don't see this as a problem. Both settings have their own models:

Fantasy:
guerreros-del-caos-4185-p.jpg?v=40fad7e1-8bf4-4da4-ad2c-4f5d054c05be

AoS:
99120201131_S2DChaosWarriors01.jpg?fm=webp&w=670&h=691

But I'm a bit curious about armies that share some models, like Cities of Sigmar Dark Elves/ Dwarf models. I can see a new purge or even remake for them, but what about Beastmen?  That's a whole shared range of miniatures in both settings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I'm a bit curious about armies that share some models, like Cities of Sigmar Dark Elves/ Dwarf models. I can see a new purge or even remake for them, but what about Beastmen?  That's a whole shared range of miniatures in both settings.

Better examples that make the sort of point that I was groping towards... hah! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Time will tell.

They are not going to be suplied with both bases, older and newer models would be suplied at the same time. Also bases would be bigger, so I don't think it would be that hard to fit the newer sculpts if we would like to.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Also bases would be bigger, so I don't think it would be that hard to fit the newer sculpts if we would like to.

Oh yeah... I completely forgot about the bigger bases. 

That's another thing that's attracting me to TOW, actually. Less of the old problems with ranking-up, plus added scope for more scenic bases. 

Honestly, after learning that allies and mercenaries are a thing I have a big dillema. Should I go for:
- L'Anguille Brets with two allies - High Elves and Exiled Knights (I want that Border Princes Bombard)
or
- Empire army of Nuln with Dwarf and Tilean allies and Wissenland mercenaries (I know, should be the other way around. But I want a Tilean hero and Tilean unit and that is possible only with allies not mercs)?

17 minutes ago, michu said:

Honestly, after learning that allies and mercenaries are a thing I have a big dillema. Should I go for:
- L'Anguille Brets with two allies - High Elves and Exiled Knights (I want that Border Princes Bombard)
or
- Empire army of Nuln with Dwarf and Tilean allies and Wissenland mercenaries (I know, should be the other way around. But I want a Tilean hero and Tilean unit and that is possible only with allies not mercs)?

Both are pretty sweet setups, but I would go for Nuln.

yes im really curious about that too as seraphon player.

i know there are lot of weird old players that loves the old models, and the uglier and bad sculped they be, they are merrier lol

but im sure even those guys cant deny noone will buy the 20 years old saurus, kroxigors, cold ones etc etc over the gorgeus new ones.

selling both lanes would be an absolutly huge mistake by gw, wasting storage space and time on that. and i dont get why would they do that, they dont sell old versions of miniatures, so why should do it now? i understand it on aosed models but not on those models loyal to old sculps like seraphon range per example

Edited by Kitsumy
  • Like 2