Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

46cd4786.jpg

Yeah. For really reals.

In the deepest dungeons of the Warhammer Studio, the counsel of the wise have convened, ancient forges have been re-lit and work has already begun. So far… we’ve made the logo. 

Next up, everything else. 

You get the idea – this is a long way off. Years. More than two. Like three or more. Definitely not soon.

Obviously, this is really exciting news for all of us, and just like with Sisters of Battle, we’ll keep you updated with more news as the project unfolds.

For those of you who don’t know, in 2015, Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles changed forever, in so far as Archaon destroyed the world. Classic Archaon.

Everything we knew of the Old World collapsed into a void of Chaos and infinite possibility. From that tumultuous storm came the Mortal Realms, heralding a new dawn of unending war in the Age of Sigmar.

From the reforged primordial soup and etheric energies of the Old World rose wonders we could never have imagined – armies of ghosts, fleets of aether-powered aircraft, Greenskin brutes the size of horses, and flying sharks! The heroes, villains, warriors and monsters of Warhammer Age of Sigmar represent the best range of fantasy miniatures in the world, beloved of a passionate, global gaming community. And over the past four years, Warhammer Age of Sigmar has become by far, the most successful fantasy game ever. 

And yet, the Old World whispers from ages past with its siren song. We grow misty-eyed at the memory of long-lost heroes and glorious kingdoms laid to ruin and of mighty champions whose sagas are sung no more.

And of course, much of the lore of the Mortal Realms has its roots in the world that was – with some of it’s most venerable denizens being the very same that fought across those war-torn kingdoms (along with a small selection of choice magical artefacts.)

0e0f8389.png

The Old World is to Warhammer Age of Sigmar, as the Horus Heresy is to Warhammer 40,000. The bedrock of lore from which mortals rose to godhood and legends were forged. And like the Horus Heresy, seeing those mythic heroes in action has an undeniable appeal, as does re-creating the glorious armies of a previous epoch – an exciting proposition for hobbyists and gamers alike. And now, we have a dedicated team in the Warhammer Studio beginning the work of bringing all that awesome back to the tabletop.

Exciting stuff!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/15/old-world-new-warhammer/

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 9

I was just now checking if it had already been posted lol.

Talk about a surprise! I’m honestly blown away by how much stuff GW is putting out these days. Marketing considerations aside, I think this shows that a lot of people in the studio grew up on warhammer and that there was no lack of enthusiasm to start something like this.

I wonder what the game will be like. The parallels to 30k suggest a big army battle game, and I’m sure they will try to recreate the feel of the ranked manoeuvers of warhammer fantasy. Wonder if some armies will stay playable in both formats. A lot of AoS armies would still fit right back into the old world. Maybe... I dare not say it... maybe Brettonia and Tomb Kings will come back?

Now the wait begins 🙂

Wow, this is really cool. I could honestly see this going on a couple of ways. They could absolutely roll the clock back and release WHFB 9th edition, building on the older rank and flank style, and mass combat stuff. Or they could build on their versatile AoS system, but release rules for using it to represent the armies of the old world. In some ways I think both would be cool in different ways.

I guess ideally I'd like both games to remain playable with either square or round bases, since I don't plan on rebasing anything. My few circular armies might feel a bit left out if they can't be used in the old world due to needing to be square!

I would love for them to bring back older factions such as my beloved Tomb Kings, but I suspect that might be too much to hope for. I could absolutely see forge world doing a line if really expensive hero miniatures which can be combined with extant models in order to make your army be led by one of the heroes of old. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm just hoping GW has enough resources to properly dedicate to a project like this without hurting AOS' development.

I'm also not looking forward to how this might not lead to two fanbases coexisting, but instead lead to more of the "my game is better and that other one sucks" arguments. 

Edited by Oceanic_Eyes
  • Like 16

hmm, I was kinda hoping to have some kind of warhammer AoS Apoc battles using the old rule set or a close equal, but this is completely unexpected. I lik how they compared it to Horus Heresy, so that it doesn't cut in on AoS as much.

Curious how they are going to replace all the now cut models for fantasy though. They killed a lot of the old world models, and now they are going to bring them back?

• Like 1

I have so, so many questions. I am 100 percent on board until I see anything negative.  I think each team is unique so I'm anxious to see how this new dedicated team will treat the old world.  It goes without saying, but based on the team this could end up being the best thing ever or literally the worst thing...

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 2

100% called this over a year ago. Seeing the INCREDIBLE success and popularity of Old World games like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Total Warhammer 2 and Vermintide, and just the power of nostalgia in general (and the fact the Old World RULED), GW would be crazy to not make money off of it. 

Im pretty happy. Im sure certain party poopers will wail and gnash their teeth at a beloved setting coming back (it never left!) but too bad, so sad, stay mad. 

• Like 11
  • LOVE IT! 1

From a new player perspective, I don't see the point. At all. Yes it will be a success. Yes the new gameplay will be certainly cool. But I find this announcement counter-productive to the point of irrelevancy. AoS is not even 5 years olds, and still, they announce the resurrection of its predecessor. Anyway, even if dug Total war warhammer a lot, I guess I am not the target.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'm mixed. On one hand, love a lot of the old world fluff and it really is great for old fantasy players to potentially be getting their game system back. On another, how pissed must some people be that they just re-based for AoS only to have this dropped in their lap lol.

At this point the old world just feels like getting drunk dialed by an ex. Guess time will tell what this turns into, but seems a bit silly to introduce the square bases again and force people to choose what system to play. Though who know's what this is intended to be. A true 9th edition to fantasy, a new take on AoS based rules in the fantasy setting. Will regiments and movement trays return?

Dunno. Was not expecting it at any rate. Happy for the lore, but doubt i'll play if its the fantasy rules system haha

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Oceanic_Eyes said:

I'm also not looking forward to how this might not lead to two fanbases coexisting, but instead lead to more of the "my game is better and that other one sucks" arguments. 

30k and 40k manage to live alongside eachother just fine. Sure there are the people who occasionally have weird arguments with eachother but that's not restricted to cross-system ... people have weird arguments with eachother when playing the same army in the same system even. ^^

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pseudonyme said:

From a new player perspective, I don't see the point. At all. Yes it will be a success. Yes the new gameplay will be certainly cool. But I find this announcement counter-productive to the point of irrelevancy. AoS is not even 5 years olds, and still, they announce the resurrection of its predecessor. Anyway, even if dug Total war warhammer a lot, I guess I am not the target.

The point is people loved the Old World and like to see it supported and not abandoned in the really weird way GW did. 

The hype train is here boys, and got no breaks

• Like 3

I love AoS. And I love Fantasy. So I love this even if it will end ip with a spilled player base (Like 30k vs 40k)

But I want to see all that people so fast to talk trash about fantasy once it was killed, what will they say when this becomes a reality with GW support. 

well I am not interested it either, but it a more a personal level since some WHF people really came at me nasty when I started AoS and I come to not really care for anything fantasy anymore despite getting into Warhammer through Mark of Chaos and Online. cheers to those to who are excited but I don't want to deal with fantasy players anymore.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, novakai said:

well I am not interested it either, but it a more a personal level since some WHF people really came at me nasty when I started AoS and I come to not really care for anything fantasy anymore despite getting into Warhammer through Mark of Chaos and Online. cheers to those to who are excited but I don't want to deal with fantasy players anymore.

Weird, cuz all I ever see nowadays are AoS players talking ****** about people who like the old world. Odd how that happens.

Let people have their things says I. No need to judge anyone for their tastes in plastic army man games :D

• Like 7

1 minute ago, novakai said:

I understand this but I don't get why people can't be both? I definitely won't stop playing AoS, and we don't even know what the game will be lol. What if it's movement trays with round slots for your AoS armies to fit, and a slightly different ruleset? Like we just don't know anything about the game and won't for a while, so I don't see why we should already worry about the community splitting or anything. People on this site are almost certainly playing Age of Sigmar, and I don't see why they'd all take sides and scream at each other. Let's all just play ALL the games we like and be nerdy friends. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2