AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

5 minutes ago, Sception said:

AoS in particular is a lot friendlier to 1000 point games than WHFB was towards the end of its life, particularly with multiple small game variants.

You also need only about 1/3rd of the models compared to WHFB 8e. :D 

5 minutes ago, Sception said:

but if you are then by all means vote with your dollars AND complain about it publicly. 

The "and" is what's important. Just complaining about it doesn't help at all if you still buy it.

Edited by Panzer
  • Confused 1

I like the look of the endless spells, and might try to copy that color scheme for my army in general.  I hope we see a how to paint video for one of these on the youtube channe.  Particularly for the big claw skeleton - I'd love to see a demonstration of how to do the blending from the ethereal green up into the dark grey head crest.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Panzer said:

The "and" is what's important. Just complaining about it doesn't help at all if you still buy it.

Pretty much.  Complaining about it is heavily contradicted if you still buy it, but not buying it is not at all enough on its own.

Again, *if* you think the prices are so high as to be a problem, which I'm not entirely convinced I do.

Edited by Sception

1 hour ago, Sception said:

I'm always leery of the phrase "vote with your wallet".  On the one hand, yeah, you shouldn't buy products, especially hobby/luxury products, that you don't think are worth the asking price.  But it isn't a system that on its own can be relied upon to produce the best results for the most people, because in that system those with bigger (or looser) wallets get more votes.  That's exactly the reason both the mobile and the AAA video game industries are in such a mess right now, as games that are deliberately bad in manipulative ways are able to wring more money out of the small handful of people with too much money or too little impulse control than games trying to be actually good are able to non-coercively earn from a broader base of satisfied customers. 

But now this post is in danger of veering into discussion of the fundamental contradictions between capitalism and democracy, which is both off topic for the thread and, as a political issue, way off topic for the entire board, so... *shrug*.

Anyway, yeah, if you don't think GW products are worth buying, then don't buy them, of course.  But if you do think GW is gouging their customers there's no reason your objections should have to start and stop with purchasing decisions.  Public complaining about stuff also matters.  Complain on social media, signal boost competitors that you think offer similar products for better prices, find and support independent retailers that will let you play on their tables with whatever models you like, etc.

For the record, I'm not sure I personally agree that GW *is* gouging.  I look at competing model lines and mostly find stuff that is either similarly priced or of significantly lower quality in build materials, sculpts, or both (so long as we're talking about GW plastics, the few remaining finecast models are something else).  Granted, competing product prices might also be artificially inflated due to GW's outsized influence on the relatively small minis game market.  But even in tangential markets like plastic mecha model kits the comparisons still mostly hold out.  Also most other games don't expect you to use as many models on the table at a time, but even GW promotes a lot of smaller scale games right now, and has reworked their main games to better support smaller scales than they have in the relatively recent past.  AoS in particular is a lot friendlier to 1000 point games than WHFB was towards the end of its life, particularly with multiple small game variants.

Anyway, point is while GW prices are high, I'm not sure I'm convinced they're unreasonably high when compared to other similar products, but if you are then by all means vote with your dollars AND complain about it publicly. 

These are good points. And I would agree, the boxsets are usually good value. Although I can feel Aussie and Kiwi gamers pain for the pricing. It does seem a tad expensive.

On the box itself, I gotta say that compared to the last four boxsets, (Wrath, Loon, Carrion and Blight) this is the ugliest sculpted boxset we've had so far. The ogre models aren't what you call inspiring, and some already know my opinions on the Ossiarch. That's in contrast to the morghasts, which are elegance personified.

They could've really done with a Ossiarch vs Cities set, for example, using Aelve sculpts which could've made up for the cartoony Ossiarch forces. Or at least gone for Beastclaws over the straight up Ogres?

Personally I love the Ossiarchs, but again there's no accounting for personal tastes, and I admittedly have perhaps an outsized affinity for cartoonish aesthetics.

I'm not surprised they went for infantry ogres rather than beastclaws.  After all, they're the 'newer' part of the new ogre release, at least in terms of AoS attention.  The models themselves, though, are all very old at this point, and don't necessarily hold up all that well.  It's going to make it hard to find ogre players to split boxes with, as most established ogre players will already have all the bulls, leadbelchers, and ironblasters they could want, and while they might have purchased a cool new plastic tyrant model on its own, I imagine few will want to split an entire box for *just* a new tyrant model when it's not like they don't have perfectly workable old models for that unit.  You'll basically need to find either a brand new ogre player, or a post-AoS beastclaw player looking to expand out into the wider ogre range now that they're getting rolled back into the same faction.

• Like 1

What's interesting is the designers commentary. It reinforces the idea of it being a more elite army rather than swarms of undead and they mention that many units have their own commandpoint system in place; with the army generating more to compensate for needing more to activate them on the tabletop. 

In addition they mentioned that there were infantry and cavalry themed army forces in the book (great news I can field a cavalry army). 

Wizards were mentioned very much in a supporting role so it sounds like much of their magic is going to be in buffs, repairs, returns and such rather than more offensive spells. 

Katakross gets mentioned with confirmation of his unique mechanic of increasing his battle stats as you do damage to him, with also specific mention of abilities phasing in and out as the different warriors around him come into play as you deal damage to him. 

The Motek Guard are mentioned with them saying that the spear version was your basic warrior, whilst the sword variation (who have a command ability to lock shields and thus reroll saves) is more suited to smaller units. So it sounds like the sword version might be the tarpit option whilst he spears more a thrusting attack. 

Overall like the articles thus far its a general overview with no real specific details nor numbers being thrown around. A Rules preview later this week should highlight more, though of course we'll really get some idea when the nda lifts on 3rd parties for the Battletome and, of course, in less than 2 weeks time when the Battletome arrives for people! 

• Like 1

I admit, the Bonereapers are growing on me. However I have to agree with others that the Endless Spells scheme would improve the actual models by about 500%. I am a little dismayed that the interview stating these are Nagash's elite reduces the odds we'll see a Soulblight force anytime soon.

13 minutes ago, Charleston said:

73381212_1157479567782168_3545637361322819584_n.jpg.a8161aa46efbf77e1434179d5600d8be.jpg

Just spotted on Dakka

A whole 3 people dared to disobey him? Damn what a scary feat to kill 3 people in the hundreds or thousands of years he probably already "lived". 🤣

I'm pretty glad that he's the model that's in the boxset as it's easily my least favourite model of the whole Bonereaper range and since I'm not getting the box I don't have to worry about missing out on him.

21 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I admit, the Bonereapers are growing on me. However I have to agree with others that the Endless Spells scheme would improve the actual models by about 500%. I am a little dismayed that the interview stating these are Nagash's elite reduces the odds we'll see a Soulblight force anytime soon.

I honestly still barely believe that they are supposed to be Nagash's most elite guys. 25mm bases and spears just feels wrong. Them being called a legion feels wrong too for an elite faction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Panzer said:

I honestly still barely believe that they are supposed to be Nagash's most elite guys. 25mm bases and spears just feels wrong. Them being called a legion feels wrong too for an elite faction.

I agree. They're compared to Stormcast a lot, but they really do come across as far more rank-and-file soldiers than something truly elite. I suppose they're meant to elite compared to standard, mass-raised skeletons, but.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

The current podcast goes into more details

https://www.warhammer-community.com/stormcast-podcast/

In general it sounds that by elite its elite in death terms. So they are self aware, more martial yet also builders and constructors. So they are not like ghosts flitting around or skeltons who rely on a mage to hold them together in legions. Sure they aren't going to get to gut-buster level of elite warrior where one stands alone against whole armies all the time. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Overread said:

In general it sounds that by elite its elite in death terms.

Which is kind of a shame in my opinion; I was really looking forward to a low model count army of 2-5-man units. Also noticing that the rumors of being heavily shooting focused doesn't seem to be the case since there doesn't appear to be any alt builds of ranged units.

Unless we have some units just shooting lasers out of their eyes or something.

1 hour ago, Overread said:

The current podcast goes into more details

https://www.warhammer-community.com/stormcast-podcast/

In general it sounds that by elite its elite in death terms. So they are self aware, more martial yet also builders and constructors. So they are not like ghosts flitting around or skeltons who rely on a mage to hold them together in legions. Sure they aren't going to get to gut-buster level of elite warrior where one stands alone against whole armies all the time. 

Okay, so they finally confirmed that it was Katakros who was trapped under Lethis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gecktron said:

Okay, so they finally confirmed that it was Katakros who was trapped under Lethis. 

That was pretty much a given, but for some reason people didn’t want to believe all the evidence in front of them. Glad to see the argument put to rest though.

Update on Pricing Australia AND New Zealand as well as answer some questions:

1. Yes this is confirmed pricing
2. Yes the dice costs are different (but why I am not sure)
3. Yes everything is available for pre order on Sat 26/10 and Available to collect the Sat 02/11

image.png.dcf967c16894e27c25ad511ca28ee02c.png

• Thanks 1