The Rumour Thread

Most of the previous preview (that I recall) has been released or seen in the wild as coming up. So considering GW normally gives us a rough 3 month window on previews, we are due for another and its something they often do to kick off the new year. There are also strong hints that Eldar are getting more than 1 reworked and 2 new kits this year from earlier rumours that, thus far, have proven very accurate. So I'd wager at the very least they might drop another Eldar hint or rumour down through that if not a full preview of upcoming major changes for them. 

3 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

I know people largely care about competitive lists but I think the Kruel Boyz section is marvellously written really fun and interesting rules that reflect their lore amazingly. I actually think they are the best section of the Orruk Warclans book to be perfectly frank. I do hate their limited battleline options though and think that they need some form of cavalry but those are things that will be fixed over time. 

But I feel like these new books are better designed for more casual/for fun players like myself.

I'm actually a casual player myself, I don't do tournaments. But I also like to win games every once in awhile and can recognize when there are rules that fight against fun. I say it's in a poor state because, as a casual player, it doesn't give me the options I want to field the army I want. Only a single subfaction worth taking, terrible artifacts that aren't fun or useful, an allegiance ability that requires us to roll 4+'s plus additional rolls to even use it (it should just be automatic like everyone else's allegiance abilities), a centerpiece model that doesn't do anything useful in either iteration, and a single basic battleline option that's grossly overpointed and prevents the army from using any cool melee builds.

To me, a well written book gets you excited to try a bunch of different things. There aren't many things to try with Kruelboyz unless you want to run a crippled, non-boltboy list.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Mutton said:

I'm actually a casual player myself, I don't do tournaments. But I also like to win games every once in awhile and can recognize when there are rules that fight against fun. I say it's in a poor state because, as a casual player, it doesn't give me the options I want to field the army I want. Only a single subfaction worth taking, terrible artifacts that aren't fun or useful, an allegiance ability that requires us to roll 4+'s plus additional rolls to even use it (it should just be automatic like everyone else's allegiance abilities), a centerpiece model that doesn't do anything useful in either iteration, and a single basic battleline option that's grossly overpointed and prevents the army from using any cool melee builds.

To me, a well written book gets you excited to try a bunch of different things. There aren't many things to try with Kruelboyz unless you want to run a crippled, non-boltboy list.

All of your points are valid, but all of them are also exaggerated. Toned down a notch you‘d have hit the nail on its head.

13 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Double sludgeraker seem really fun

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Most of the previous preview (that I recall) has been released or seen in the wild as coming up. So considering GW normally gives us a rough 3 month window on previews, we are due for another and its something they often do to kick off the new year. There are also strong hints that Eldar are getting more than 1 reworked and 2 new kits this year from earlier rumours that, thus far, have proven very accurate. So I'd wager at the very least they might drop another Eldar hint or rumour down through that if not a full preview of upcoming major changes for them. 

Yes I'm expecting more eldar to be revealed - maybe a s part of the next Kill Team set and I suppose they might announce the preview later  in the week [they have before?].

I'm guessing we'll get another Underworlds Warband, maybe something for Warcry and hopefully a set of hints at what's coming for both main systems .

4 hours ago, King Under the Mountain said:

We shall see.

If they announce a Fyreslayer Battletome then that is a win for me (although I would rather have more new units).

Ditto to this. One new hero each and a new battletome for both factions along with a neat Narrative booklet with new Realm Rules for stuff like battling in the Realm of Fire or underwater would be more than aces with me despite how much I want the Deepkin & Fyreslayer ranges expanded with neat lore stuff like flying whales, battle crabs/ochtars* firey sea monsters, coerced Merkin, Demi-droth cavalry and the sentient volcanoes they make deals with to make their weapons. The living volcanoes would make fun mirrors to Lumineth mountain spirits.

I’m just happy because I’m getting my brother-in-law into AoS and he really likes the look of Fyreslayers while the Deepkin can go into my ever-growing army of them. :D 

Just get a good set-up for them both is all I want. They can extend the ranges in a few years later when the company situation is normalized, we all know GW is having internal problems keeping up with everything anyway so it’s not like they aren’t trying. I can wait for quality. :) 

For now there’s enough fun options like Deepkin allies with Sylvaneth & Daughters of Khaine to mix things up with Seaweedneth & Shadow Sea Snakes themes while Fyreslayers can benefit a lot from the new Stormcast Draconith allies giving them new flying fire-breathing allies that can keep up with their magma tunneling.

*That Ochtar thing is actually a cool note in Soulbound Bestiary and would be fun for battle octopi 🐙:

“They make prized familiars for Idoneth Soul Wardens, assisting the bureaucrats with their tallies and guarding the Aelves when they leave the chorrileums. For the latter purpose they often carry roguish weapons.”

“Learning from example, wild Ochtars have started scavenging shipwrecks to arm themselves."

“They help with keeping track of numbers and wild Ochtars raid ship wrecks for weapons”

• Like 4

I still think that the way these boxes have often worked in the past: is one army gets a new hero and then their book with no real model updates (Ogors, Sylvaneth, Daughters of Khaine) and the other gets a big update at a later time (Bone Reapers, Gloomspite, Slaanesh). There are exceptions with larger refreshes on both sides (Wrath and Rapture) and with no real updates beyond the heroes (Skaven & Flesh Eaters or Kharadron and Tzeentch).  Honestly this is not much to go on as there seems to be a trend that one army gets a more generous update than the other but with the new 40k box and few hints from the rumour engine I think that this will be it. 

I still think if only one of the armies were to get a slight update it will depend entirely on wether or not Duardin are Souped. I doubt that Fyreslayers will get a big update if they are combined with other Duardin factions, in this case the new unit/hero will be a last hurrah for the edition. Idoneth stand a little better as a standalone faction than Fyreslayers, so despite being a good candidate for expansion I could see GW putting more effort in sorting out Fyreslayers if they aren't souped. But these two factions are kind of in a similar place as Games Workshop's forgotten modern IPs.

Alternatively we are getting Idoneth/Fyreslayer soup and it is not a dual box at all. We are simply getting a new Vanguard box 😜

Edited by Neverchosen

6 hours ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

What I really want for Fyreslayers is a new Dwarf Flame Cannon.

if it was a dual warscroll kit it would add a lot to the army whilst paying tribute to an iconic WFB dwarf unit. 

This would fit really well with the size and scope of a dual kit. Now I an hoping for this. It could even tie into the rumour engine of the strange Torch weapon to light the canon fuse (my black powder terminology is a joke)

• Like 1