The Rumour Thread

Did any sort of update to the old Monsters Arcanum / Monsters of Chaos, etc ever get updated?  I thought the GHB mentioned something about it?

I ask because since grand alliances no longer exist, does that mean there is no way to ally in "Monsters of Chaos" and the like, even if it has a chaos keyword? or has that changed in any way?  Trying to figure out what I need to take a Gigantic Chaos Spawn ....

• Like 1

Good preview and whilst there wasn't anything for my armies or AoS I really love the work GW has put into the Ork release. I love the whole "Mad Max meets Orks meets Horizon Zero Dawn" designs they've got going with the Beast Snaggers and that huge squig rig is just oozing orky madness. Great great stuff and they finally remembered how to make Deathkoptas too. 

The new Death Corps of Krieg also look great for 40K and if they spark a big release for Imperial Guard I think that's a fine way to update their line and give them something new and very very classic Guard in style. I also hope it sparks a return of their rough-rider models and that IG gets back to that old school WW1-2 style madness of war in a visual sense

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

As soon as the stream ended I thought of you mate!! Hopefully they're everything you want!!

Thank you mate. Just can't believe it. I have faith in GW, they've not done wrong yet! Exciting times la.

I did think they're would be a seperate Snagga Cavalry but they all look phenomenal. I wonder what we could proxy the big giant Squig as.

• Subscriber

Happy for all the 40k fans, it looked like a good preview. 

There are plenty of interesting bits for my Ironjawz in those Ork releases.

Got me wondering if GW are now separating the style of Orks from Orruks? Bonesplitters and Ironjawz are much closer in style to these previewed boyz than the Kruleboyz. 

25 minutes ago, JustAsPlanned said:

Those Orks are 😍

Wilst I do agree, they are just shiny new sculpts of the same Orks Gdubs has been pumping out for sooo long. They are nice BUT this just makes me appreciate Kruleboyz that much more as they took a risk on a new design and It turned out amazing imo!!!

They are nice but i cant help but to have expected better. 

There are one or two sculpts amongst those new orks that really, really even catch my eye and even then its just a face or feature here and there. 

Anyhoo, rule of Krule!!!

4 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Wilst I do agree, they are just shiny new sculpts of the same Orks Gdubs has been pumping out for sooo long. They are nice BUT this just makes me appreciate Kruleboyz that much more as they took a risk on a new design and It turned out amazing imo!!!

There are one or two sculpts amongst those new orks that really, really even catch my eye and even then its just a face or feature here and there. 

Anyhoo, rule of Krule!!!

That’s perfectly understandable! I think the goal of this range refresh was less to make something wholly new than to add in stuff that has been a long time coming, ie Squig cavalry and the new Deffkopter and Boyz, so I can see why they went relatively vanilla. 

What’s great about AoS is that we don’t have that issue, so the designers are free to do more experimental things like the KBs. Oh and on that topic, how likely do y’all think it is that the Kruleboyz are gonna get translated to 40k somehow? I could see the new Codex having a footnote somewhere about a “more gangly and spiteful” subspecies of Ork somewhere, but not much else.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Anyhoo, rule of Krule!!!

A wave like that for IJ and Bonesplitterz would be great though...Nelson Orcs are still great, and the Kevin Adams inspired Kruleboyz mesh well as a side concept for a specific species of orruks.

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Greybeard86 said:

Don't like those orks, tbh, but I can see how they might appeal to others. The whole squig thingy doesn't doo it for me.

The krieggers look too beefy for my taste.

But I like that they are getting some support, both armies.

I will echo these sentiments, I do not mind squigs but I am not the biggest fan of 40k Orks in general, nor the anachronistic and historical traits of many guard troops. However, I can absolutely say that I am really happy that these releases are occurring as both lines had been languishing for such long periods. I also feel like my thoughts on the Kreig unit might change as people add some Genestealer bits and make them something more visually compelling. Also I have no specific issue with squigs and I know that some Gloomspite players will create some fantastic conversions of these models for their armies. I also think that the orks will be great for conversion fodder for AoS which is also great as I feel that Kruel Boyz are going to get most of the love for this edition in AoS. 

I do strangely like 40k Orks when viewed in a vacuum such as in Gorkamorka or Speed Freaks. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I see the word "chorfs" and immediately my eyes glaze over and the rest of the post never makes it into my brain.

Are we really that l337/lazy?

What's next?

Sneth? Oberz? Filars? Lumords? Glords? Kroyz?

Surely we are better than this as a community, right?

I agree, started playing Chaos Dwarfs in 5th and really hate the term chorfs.It just doesn't sound right

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GTK said:

I agree, started playing Chaos Dwarfs in 5th and really hate the term chorfs.It just doesn't sound right

As with most of these abbreviations I have been reading it as Chaos Dwarf rather than phonetically... although a lot of these shorthands often translate to gamers that like to keep things with a weird internal lexicon which I am never a fan of as it can be difficult for new players to keep up... I use the term wysiwyg online but I cringe each and every time. But if and when Chaos Dwarfs get released they will get an official army designation and likely a more suiting acronym... I assume they will have a Latin or Greek styled name followed by Furnace Kings... For example they could have a name like Igneous Furnace Kings which would simply become IFK.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

these shorthands often translate to gamers that like to keep things with a weird internal lexicon which I am never a fan of as it can be difficult for new players to keep up.

Precisely.

It's just good, simple, basic communication. Each new "publication" (article, story, post, etc.) should reference the full name of a thing, along with a mention of its abbreviated/shortened/bastardized form, before the alternate form is used on its own. To do otherwise risks confusing the reader, which is the exact opposite of what the writer is trying to do in making their point.

Of note is that at its heart, slang (and other language specializations) often have an origin of deliberate exclusion. In other words, people make up "code" terms that only a certain in-group will understand, allowing them to intentionally ensure that new people or outsiders cannot join the group.

So, when we use these terms in a discussion forum that means to be inclusive, welcome newcomers, and otherwise promote shared understanding, using these shortcuts works directly against our goals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

31 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Precisely.

It's just good, simple, basic communication. Each new "publication" (article, story, post, etc.) should reference the full name of a thing, along with a mention of its abbreviated/shortened/bastardized form, before the alternate form is used on its own. To do otherwise risks confusing the reader, which is the exact opposite of what the writer is trying to do in making their point.

Of note is that at its heart, slang (and other language specializations) often have an origin of deliberate exclusion. In other words, people make up "code" terms that only a certain in-group will understand, allowing them to intentionally ensure that new people or outsiders cannot join the group.

So, when we use these terms in a discussion forum that means to be inclusive, welcome newcomers, and otherwise promote shared understanding, using these shortcuts works directly against our goals.

I've sometimes wondered whether the solution to this is to have a glossary thread. You will never convince the entire population if s message board to suddenly stop using jargon. The better solution is then to document that jargon so that we have a quick way to reference what it means.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

I've sometimes wondered whether the solution to this is to have a glossary thread.

I've been mentioning a similar idea here for a long time. Have mouse-overs for terms. A glossary thread could work in conjunction.

• Like 3

I like “chorfs” as a term of endearment, as it sounds derpy, much like the beloved original iteration in WHFB. I am surprised anyone would think it is used to exclude anyone from the conversation. Many of us have been linking resources for those who asked. Also, nowadays, in a forum, finding most acronyms is trivial via internet search. It really isn’t like when someone gives a jargony seminar or that annoying person that constantly refers to famous people by first name. I mean, in a sense, should you complain that GW has been introducing confusing names with that cringey effort to copyright?

I have to say though, something I dislike is scale creep, and the FW sculpts for chaos dwarfs are guilty of that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Precisely.

This is why I use a word from the faction instead of shortening it. If I talk about Lumineth or Kharadron, that'll be instantly usable for someone new, while LRL or KO isn't.

GW could help that by making faction names a bit shorter than a novel, and laying off the needlessly extra species names (like Duardin or Aelf).

WHFB names like Empire, Dwarfs and Aloof Snobs had less of a need for shortening as Lumineth Realm Lords or Kharadron Overlords.

• Like 1