The Rumour Thread

I just find it weird they've launched an entire streaming platform for what will probably be initially no more than a couple of hours of content. 

Why not allow it to be hosted on prime or netflix? That would be a far better way imo in bringing new people to the hobby. This w+ platform seems to be something that would appeal to those who are already fans, and even then only a minority.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mutton said:

I'm guessing they'll have some sort of hobby-related shows as well. Content that doesn't cost as much to produce.

Makes me wonder if they're going to take aim at Youtube Battle Reports after they're done with the fan animators. MiniWarGaming and TTT does well enough from it to make a living off it, so I could easily see GW offering them a "join us or perish" and then locking such things behind a paywall.

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Makes me wonder if they're going to take aim at Youtube Battle Reports after they're done with the fan animators. MiniWarGaming and TTT does well enough from it to make a living off it, so I could easily see GW offering them a "join us or perish" and then locking such things behind a paywall.

GW can't really block out content creators like batreps/painting guides/etc in the same way they can animators, since there's no IP infringement.

What they can do is stop giving them books/models early which is worth money. Videos of reviews and batreps before the army drops, and painting guides as soon as the models drop is worth money, and they can certainly sway some content creators if they wanted to.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

I just find it weird they've launched an entire streaming platform for what will probably be initially no more than a couple of hours of content. 

Why not allow it to be hosted on prime or netflix? That would be a far better way imo in bringing new people to the hobby. This w+ platform seems to be something that would appeal to those who are already fans, and even then only a minority.

They're not looking to bring people into the hobby so much with this. They're looking to set up their own revenue stream.

The focus wont be Disney, Netflix obviously- that would be crazy- but they will be looking to monoplise the market of media related to GW products currently available elsewhere into this service. Bear in mind pretty much all GW products released ahead of time on other services come from GW, they can turn off that tap whenever they like. 

People looking at this now thinking "why would I bother when I can go to X or Y for my GW content" ' well, they wont be able to have access to those sources much longer I'm guessing.

I'm pretty positive subscribers will have first or exclusive  access to certain products too. 

Basically- if you're into GW stuff just now, to maintain that level of investment is going to become harder and harder without this subscription. *Of course* it will prove popular with enough people for GW to benefit from it. At which point the relationship between playing the games and being a subscriber will become more and more symbiotic. 

I'm not saying this because I claim to know the future or anything, it's just how every subscription model has entered the hobby and entertainment economy the past few years. If you don't subscribe, you get a second class experience, very intentionally so.

Edited by Nos

5 minutes ago, Nos said:

They're not looking to bring people into the hobby so much with this. They're looking to set up their own revenue stream.

The focus wont be Disney, Netflix obviously- that would be crazy- but they will be looking to monoplise the market of media related to GW products currently available elsewhere into this service. Bear in mind pretty much all GW products released ahead of time on other services come from GW, they can turn off that tap whenever they like. 

People looking at this now thinking "why would I bother when I can go to X or Y for my GW content" ' well, they wont be able to have access to those sources much longer I'm guessing.

I'm pretty positive subscribers will have first or exclusive  access to certain products too. 

Basically- if you're into GW stuff just now, to maintain that level of investment is going to become harder and harder without this subscription. *Of course* it will prove popular with enough people for GW to benefit from it. At which point the relationship between playing the games and being a subscriber will become more and more symbiotic. 

I'm not saying this because I claim to know the future or anything, it's just how every subscription model has entered the hobby and entertainment economy the past few years. If you don't subscribe, you get a second class experience, very intentionally so.

this makes less sense than using an existing platform to bring new people into the hobby though? even if those new folks are only buying a starter box or board game and even if they don't buy the hobby materials through GW, that's still a lost revenue stream. Relying on diehard fans seems like a lose-lose situation when you keep upping prices on your core business model (ha)

2 minutes ago, Nos said:

Basically- if you're into GW stuff just now, to maintain that level of investment is going to become harder and harder without this subscription. *Of course* it will prove popular with enough people for GW to benefit from it. 

Other than access to digital armybooks, I'm not sure what else a streaming service could provide that would make things worse for someone who doesn't have it. Considering they dropped digital codexes for 40k, I'm betting that's one of the thing they're planning to include, but still.

The only other digital content I can think of would be WarCom articles and comics (and who in their right mind would pay for those?) and 3rd party stuff like video games, which would never end up on a service like this outside of "Subscribe and get this 4-year-old shovel-ware game for free!!" type deals.

11 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

this makes less sense than using an existing platform to bring new people into the hobby though? even if those new folks are only buying a starter box or board game and even if they don't buy the hobby materials through GW, that's still a lost revenue stream. Relying on diehard fans seems like a lose-lose situation when you keep upping prices on your core business model (ha)

They're not building this stream to bring people into the hobby

The aim of the subscription model is to use the patronage of those already involved to buy into the subscription model until the money from that reinvested back into the subscription means that the subscriotion itself becomes the most sellable product.

Far easier to sell a 6.99 per month product you can cancel anytime than a one off 100 pound commitment and you dont need a shop or to hire a person to do it

The future is media and data. GW will obviously be massively invested in their models for a while but I think people will be surprised how quickly products which further the lore and universe independent of the gaming systems take precedence.

GW need just one of their animations or series to be a sucsess that gets public attention, and an established media empire will come in and throw money at them for the rights to a part of it, and so on.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 2

I think it's pretty obvious that GW tries to branch out the Warhammer IP from just the miniature games which will always only cater to rather big nerds but not casual nerds. ;) Incentive might've been that sooner or later 3d printing minis will be a common thing and thus their business model will ultimately be weaker but if they get to monetize all aspects of Warhammer, then Warhammer can become as big as Star Wars, in other words: an even more socially accepted universe than it is now (it's getting there due to lots of videogames and upcoming series etc. though) and thus an even healthier company. A sure sign of that strategy IMO is that they're releasing more and more apparel and other stuff most gamers that hope to attract the other sex have no interest in. :D I actually know exactly what they'd need to make a ****** ton of money.

This is the "future": https://merch-eur.warhammer.com/

2 hours ago, Nos said:

That sounds like it will be the ideal time for me to bow out and try another game. 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

That sounds like it will be the ideal time for me to bow out and try another game. 😅

Right now I don't mind tossing a few quid at GW to keep up with the latest rulebook/Battletome (and Underworlds) because I've been in this long enough to have a sizeable collection (at least of stuff that wasn't squat'ed). If the expectation is going to be I pay a subscription service to become a VIP member of the plastic crackunity then that's definitely going to be a bridge too far.

If it was just animations I could care less, but this talk of 'exclusive models' and promotions just puts an extremely bitter taste in my mouth. I'll reserve judgement until it's revealed, but I didn't pick my username in isolation.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, MitGas said:

This is the "future": https://merch-eur.warhammer.com/

Normally I am not one for branded merch, and most is codex art awkwardly put on T-shirts, but some of it looks neat. The Gloomspite notebook is probably my favorite, it would be cool for something like a DnD Wizard or Druid to keep notes in, but the details are lacking. What are the dimensions, how many pages, etc?

Edit: I am an idiot, it says under a different tab. 148x210mm, 80 pages,

Edited by dirkdragonslayer
big dumb

Again, I think people are looking at this backwards. GW's miniature sales are doing exceptionally well to the point that they can't keep up with demand. They really don't need more people buying minis right now. 

What they want is new revenue streams. As for why not YouTube or Netflix it's simple maths.

The most popular youtuber has over 100 million subscribers and makes 20million dollars a year from YouTube ads. That's 20 cents per subscriber per year. 

Let's say gw charges $5 a month and gives half of that to the content creators. They could make $20million a year with just 670,000 subscribers. 

If GW makes half that much each year, they would probably call the service a success.

We will probably see the Kragnos pre-order announced tonight. Presumably we will get another 4 box sets. I'm also really looking forward to seeing what they've done with the Kroak and Alarielle warscrolls. Hopefully their power levels end up much closer to each other. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

GW can't really block out content creators like batreps/painting guides/etc in the same way they can animators, since there's no IP infringement.

What they can do is stop giving them books/models early which is worth money. Videos of reviews and batreps before the army drops, and painting guides as soon as the models drop is worth money, and they can certainly sway some content creators if they wanted to.

You meant we get more non-GW gameplay and painting video's. That's awesome! Give the smaller designers and writers some love!

28 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

Just in case if someone doesn't already saw this. 

GA9tn0049wY.jpg

KMpFckDvHfU.jpg

While I love it, I do want to warn anyone before they get their hopes up, this is fan art by a freelance illustrator named Cesede. It even says it in the Artstation tags. This doesn't mean anything for Total War.

Edited by dirkdragonslayer
  • Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

18 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

You meant we get more non-GW gameplay and painting video's. That's awesome! Give the smaller designers and writers some love!

i think the problem is that Warhammer is such a big brand that its just a safer ways for content creator to get consistent views and clicks. somehow when venturing or doing a smaller IP, all of a sudden you find a lack of interest  or population that really cares. unless its like Star war legion or Marvel crisis protocol 

17 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

My hopes of Chaos Dwarfs keep on rising, please stop this.

pretty sure they are more then likely slated for the games since the one thing CA have promise was that they would do the major armies for the games ( the 16 official factions which included Chaos dwarfs)

6 hours ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Why not allow it to be hosted on prime or netflix?

GW either has great plans for Warhammer+ or they were really afraid that netflix might demand some changes in their shows. It wouldn't be the first tv show that was twisted with netflix enrichment.

20 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

GW either has great plans for Warhammer+ or they were really afraid that netflix might demand some changes in their shows. It wouldn't be the first tv show that was twisted with netflix enrichment.

I really think it's just about the maths. I found this image which shows how much Amazon pays for its showsmain-qimg-93f5b73539441933aee4b3c435dda65d.png.fd26a3d76b1f49606a53a7b4e990ca69.png

So let's say you have 12 announced shows with an average of 5 hours of content each. If 100,000 people watch these shows gw gets $360,000. If those same 100,000 people each sign up to Warhammer+ for $10 and then unsubscribe after just one month having watched all the shows, gw gets $1,000,000.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

If you make them available for free (youtube or something), Netflix also has no reason to pay for them.

I have a bad feeling that this countdown is going to lead to a cool animated trailer, maybe a single model or 2 previewed and then we’re going to get further teased throughout June until a full reveal in early July for an end of July release.

Bad feeling because it’d be nicer for all this teasing to lead to a full reveal. Teasing is fun for a bit but it gets real old!

Edited by Tiberius501
  • Like 1