The Rumour Thread

Crazy theory.

next week, or maybe in 2, other preview showing the complete new box, with the new units etc..

Pre Order of this box 29th

And the 29th other preview, showing new units of these 2 armies, and a little about the future of this new edition. A kind of celebration.

I think that's what they did with 40k.

It is the only logic that I see so that this month there are 2 more previews, and that the coin has a stormcast logo.

48 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

What does it mean when I get a whitefang laugh react emoji? Ridiculous/miles away? Or on the money?

Maybe you just posted something funny.

Or, we can surmise that new GW publications are written primarily in emojis. This would cut down on localisation costs as well.

• Haha 2

I think the new Stormcast are not as different scale wise as people keep assuming. Picture from WarCom at a different angle.

Yes the armour is smoother aesthetically - but certainly not a dramatic difference in bulk to my eyes.

New SCE are not going to invalidate previous units - not even Primaris have done that!

Screenshot_20210509-124943_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I'm not really convinced the lore issues of Fimir is impossible to resolve - after all, it wasn't long ago that Forgeworld had them, and if anyone delves too deep in the lore, there's plenty of ick out there.

That said, I doubt the faction would JUST be Fimir.  I expect Fimir would likely play a roll in a bigger army - they'd be the monstrous infantry, maybe with a balefind and a generic character... but more  a supplement to something else (like the marsh goblins/sneaky skulkers or something else). That would allow all those rumors to coexist.

This seems a lot more reasonable.  the new faction is warg riders and large gobbos with maybe one or two Fimir - a similar roll to troggoth? 

Or is that all too samey for exactly what they already have?  It's all well and good to talk about a new destruction faction, but they also would want them to feel and play different. ...

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Kasper said:

The Silent People seems like a reasonable contender for the “new Destruction army”. I simply dont buy that GW is introducing a third species of Orks - The only thing I can see is the skypirate stuff with gits and orks, but doesnt really fit the theme of Ghur tbh. 

The lore for the Silent People seems to match with Kragnos too. They were invovled with Beastgrave and dug around the mountain. I could very easily see them having found Kragnos and helped him be free.

Personally I suspect I am wrong with this theory, but I am starting to consider the possibility that the new faction might simply be 'the Denizens of Ghur' or 'Wildfolk of Ghur'. This might incorporate many of the things discussed so far, such as the Silent People, the totem on Kragnos' base and Fimir. All current destruction factions are currently a loose coalition of forces united in the name of destruction. Typically the armies have been unified along special lines, with Gloomspite/Troggoths being a notable exception. So I am thinking this could be an even looser army of swamp dwelling wildfolk... Silent People making up the bulk of the force, Fimir being heavier elite options and maybe some unforeseen monster options. I also think such a force would be a nice way to introduce human followers of destruction but that might be pushing things...  

I doubt I am even close to being correct but I think it accounts for everyone's theories as well as a number of disparate rumour engine pictures. Of course the actual release needn't account for anyone's theories and the rumour engines can be pulled from various sources. The other issue is obviously the lack of cohesion possibly muddling the identity of the army but it could be unified by a swamp aesthetic and related rules/lore. So obviously I am likely far off but I do think a swamp based army of insect people, cyclopean terrors and the occasional swampmonster could actually be really cool. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MaatithoftheBrand said:

I think the problem is less that the lore exists, and more that the culture amongst fans is still (in a lot of places, not all - TGA, for instance, rises above this type of childishness) "lol so edgy" when it comes to Fimir - the meme is how much of a dark and gritty race they are because of their reproduction. Beastmen and Archaon don't occupy the same meme status - Beastmen either get jokes about furrys/being the forgotten 3rd Chaos army whenever they are mentioned, and Archaon's fluff discussions often come back to either comparing him to Abaddon as a "failure" for Storm of Chaos, or End Times memes about either how he killed off a setting, or else how even when he did that he didn't win and had to come back to try again.

As you say, GW ignores this stuff with other characters - I think the issue is with the Fimir, the players don't play along.

Beastmen and Archaon also never got written out/abandoned, so there's a much bigger bigger accumulation of non-edgy lore about them that fleshes out their characters. Also in Archaon's case there is a difference between "the guy you play as has tragic edgy stuff in his backstory" vs "the guys you play as are enthusiastic and prolific practitioners of edgy stuff and a lot of you will not-so-secretly love this"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fimir, like skaven and zoat, are ones of the "most original" Gw concepts of old though, if they want to get them back they could just cut off the bad lorepieces (that also beastmen had partially).
Still i'd cast my lot with the new greenskin type.
Ironically enough in whfb there were in some white dwarf armylists sea and swamp grots: the Troglagobs (goblin sea cousins) and Goblars/Boglars (swamp Gnoblars).

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson
  • Like 1

I really hope the destruction side is nothing to do with Fimir. I absolutely despise that aesthetic. The beak heads are just awful.  Alf genuinely gave me nightmares when I was a kid. 

I hope they got whoever designed the gobbapalooza to do the new range. That's the kind of aesthetic I want. 

• Like 7

@MaatithoftheBrand Well put. I agree with @Fyrenn that the issues with Fimir are not insurmountable but as you say, GW is aware of this sort of thing and it would be no surprise if when spitballing new destruction forces they glanced over fimir and immediately moved on to avoid the whiff of impropriety. Even with their current love for nostalgia, there’s plenty of army concepts that have practically no baggage by comparison.

@Clan's Cynic They did very early on but that was more of a feature of their inspiration (read: the thing they were lifted wholesale from), the Broo of Glorantha. Rape was and is a big part of the Broo’s shtick but then Glorantha isn’t trying for a wide audience of monied teens and young people, and it’s barely played anyway.

Also yeah, Beastmen have had several decades of development separate from the sexual stuff. Fimir have much less and much less consistently. I could believe it would linger around them like a bad smell, even with their cool aesthetic and weird potential.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 1

Just now, Chikout said:

I really hope the destruction side is nothing to do with Fimir. I absolutely despise that aesthetic. The beak heads are just awful.  Alf genuinely gave me nightmares when I was a kid. 

I hope they got whoever designed the gobbapalooza to do the new range. That's the kind of aesthetic I want. 

I guess the counterpoint is that gobbapalooza (and that aesthetic) already exists, especially within destruction.  I think having different styles is great for a hobby where people like different things.  I'd argue there isn't a common aesthetic already, why should a new faction conform to it?  There can be more 'dark horrors' as opposed to more... playful gremlins?

I agree with the other poster above - Fimir might not be a completely original concept, but it's a pretty original concept for warhammer - it's not the tropes of goblins, orcs, elves, and the like.  I think they could very easily supplement an army (although from my perspective, I wish it were BoC).  

For awhile I got the impression they wanted to stop doing the easily identifiable things and replace them with more sigmarified things.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MythicKhan said:

I think the new Stormcast are not as different scale wise as people keep assuming. Picture from WarCom at a different angle.

Yes the armour is smoother aesthetically - but certainly not a dramatic difference in bulk to my eyes.

New SCE are not going to invalidate previous units - not even Primaris have done that!

True. If you look at the new SCE from the side you see that those are bulky as well! I just love those! 😍

E86868E7-6497-4280-80FF-41A89546855F.png

26 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

This is going to sound ridiculous coming from a lover of Gargants, but I just find the Fimir to be very generic monster looking. Something from D&D or another Dungeon Crawler. 

The Fimir are conceptuallly drawn from the Fomorians of Irish Legend.  If they were to lose some of the lore they've built up around Fimir and return to that source a bit more, it would make a great new faction.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

This is going to sound ridiculous coming from a lover of Gargants, but I just find the Fimir to be very generic monster looking. Something from D&D or another Dungeon Crawler. 

Overall, I am not the biggest fan of the Fimir's aesthetic either. But I do see their place in the game's history. But I think with the right level of AOSification they could look like really cool swamp monstrosities. They could borrow from the lore and aesthetic of various folklore and already seem to be the closest thing in Warhammer to a Kappa. Maybe cover them in swampland vegetation and have a sharp beak and single piercing eye poking out from the shapeless mass of reeds, lilly-pads and slime. 

https://www.wisconsinwetlands.org/updates/9-wetland-monsters/

So on their own I would absolutely agree with you on this. But I think that AOS has taken a number of concepts I am not overly keen on and turned them into something fantastic. And maybe that is the source for my own interest in them, to see what the designers and lore writers can do with these somewhat dated and silly looking creatures. But maybe like the Zoat they belong as part of some side game and occasional lore reference... maybe a single unit or character model for Warcry with a Gloomspite or Mawtribe keyword and a forgettable warscroll.

Also, I was pretty much unaware of the problematic nature of their lore and always saw them wholly as silly looking generic bad guys.

Edited by Neverchosen

1 minute ago, Howdyhedberg said:

What is it that people don't like about fimir? The look? That they kidnap humans? That they look like 1980s monsters? 

I think some combination of all of the above depending on who you ask? As noted, the creepy kidnapping women fluff isn't immutable and the world hasn't collapsed as a result of them turning up as a small part of the Norsca army list for Total War, but there is a sense that it might be more trouble than it's worth for GW to wholesale bring back an army whose defining characteristic over the years has sort of coalesced into... that

I like their depiction in WFRP 4e as a sort of ancient, bone-chilling evil that nobody knows much about or encounters directly any more, but there is a maybe a bit of the Lovecraft thing there where the anticipation and dread of something absent/perpetually lurking in the shadows is very unnerving and effective,  but when you actually have to depict them it's just like, beaky fishmen or whatever, NPC mooks

Aspects of Slaanesh and Tzeentch's fluff also have that problem imo

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Howdyhedberg said:

What is it that people don't like about fimir? The look? That they kidnap humans? That they look like 1980s monsters? 

I like them much more than destruction centaurs. 

Silly pony boy. Im still so very curious how Gordrakk reacts to him. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vasshpit said:

Just wait till the rest of the ponies of destruction arrive .... Red eyes and all 😉

Edited by CarkFish
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I agree.

19 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

The Fimir are conceptuallly drawn from the Fomorians of Irish Legend.  If they were to lose some of the lore they've built up around Fimir and return to that source a bit more, it would make a great new faction.

Oh I've no problem with the concept of humanoid monsters kidnapping people, it's more the creatures looks. The beaked cyclopean, tailed aesthetic just doesnt do it for me. It feels a bit like a mash of parts.

16 minutes ago, Howdyhedberg said:

I've no problem with the kidnapping, their looks are just not there for me.

EDIT. In regards to kidnapping I dont mean the sexual assault side of things.

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MythicKhan said:

I like this pose, but all i can see is heresy world eaters. He’s even got the butcher’s nails!

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

What if Gordrakk leads his own faction of destruction seperatly to Kragnos, he could even get boosted further and become a true avatar of Gorkamorka to rivel Kragnos. 

Edited by SunStorm
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2