The Rumour Thread

13 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Actually they’re older. Ogres were released in 6th edition, 2005, then the freeguild spearman/halberdiers/swordsmen,  handgunners/crossbowmen and I think pistoliers/outriders came out in late 2006 with the 7th ed. empire release. Demigryph knights were then 8th ed. in 2012.

The Ogre sculpts got updated in 2011, in particular the Leadbelchers and Ogres that were in Feast of Bones, so with the Empire State Troops updated in 2006/7 there is around a 4 year difference.

The Freeguild Witch Hunter force vs LoN Soulblight battlebox is a fairly solid speculation tbf, and the Freeguild sculpts do fairly hold up well in comparison to certain older models - the Chaos Warriors from WFB for example are absolutely hideous 

Edited by Dreddships
a dont spell things well

1 hour ago, KriticalKhan said:

Remember that crab claw rumor engine that was supposed to be for Idoneth or Slaanesh, but turned out to be a Chaos Marines?

Remember that lizard tail rumor engine that could only be a new Seraphon model until it turned out to be a Zoat?

Remember that feather that was obviously part of a Freeguild release and it turned out to be a Rogue Trader?

Remember that robe and old timey belt-buckle that just HAD to be a Freeguild model, and then it turned out to be a ****** Space Marine?

I don't want to sound like a downer, but they're building up to some kind of Inquisition/Ecclesiarch and anything that could be Freeguild fits in that just as well.

Wait the Crab Claw was solved!?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dreddships said:

The Ogre sculpts got updated in 2011, in particular the Leadbelchers and Ogres that were in Feast of Bones, so with the Empire State Troops updated in 2006/7 there is around a 4 year difference.

The Freeguild Witch Hunter force vs LoN Soulblight battlebox is a fairly solid speculation tbf, and the Freeguild sculpts do fairly hold up well in comparison to certain older models - the Chaos Warriors from WFB for example are absolutely hideous 

What updates did they get? As far as I know, the sculpts are the same as they have always been.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Sharkbelly said:

What updates did they get? As far as I know, the sculpts are the same as they have always been.

They got mournfang, leadbealcher and stonehorn in plastic kits IIRC. But no updates for old kits indeed.

Along with some finecast characters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Hahaha, I completely agree and I think that many of these things seem fairly consistent with Admech tech and aesthetics. However, I still feel it is fun to speculate about the possibility of a new AOS army based on rumour engine pictures. I also feel that the aesthetic of these rumour engine pictures are helping me formulate my own wants for a human AOS army.

In other words, I would rather have fun being wrong speculating about how everything is Malerion in space, than except that it is just another Imperium character or faction.

Agreed, plus it's fun to just throw something out there so you can see how wrong you were in retrospect be completely right 100% of the time! VAMPIRE HUNTERS BAYBEE 😎

• LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, Dreddships said:

The Ogres and Leadbelchers never changed from when Ogre Kingdoms first released. 

• Like 6

Leasbelchers were in the original ogor release too, look at the 6th edition army book.

Ogres (that is, the gluttons, ironguts and leasbelchers) are probably THE best of the 6th ed kits.

They might be less detailed than today's miniatures, but they're large and brutal enough that it just looks like an aesthetic choice. The slightly static pose isn't an issue either, it communicates a lumbering gait. And even with the pose, they've got so many options bursting with personality. On top of all the options the base kits give you, they're compatible with the 8th ed mournfang and stonehorn bits, it's a kitbashers dream and GW won't create its like again.

Being an ogor player I'd obviously love an update, but for yhetees and maneaters. Coz if I was gonna rank 15 year old plastic kits still in the game, ogors are like the S tier.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Agreed, plus it's fun to just throw something out there so you can see how wrong you were in retrospect be completely right 100% of the time! VAMPIRE HUNTERS BAYBEE 😎

Don't you mean VAMPIRATE HUNTERS BAYBEE! When wish-listing in AOS it is always best to add that hint of spice 🤩

5 hours ago, Klamm said:

On top of all the options the base kits give you, they're compatible with the 8th ed mournfang and stonehorn bits, it's a kitbashers dream and GW won't create its like again.

As someone just starting Ogors that makes me very excited. I am hoping to kit bash at least an Icebrow hunter as I only have BCR bits. The problem is that all of the legs seem too splayed for an unmounted unit. But I have yet to build anything as I am wrapping up my S2D army first.

But I will agree with the consensus here about how the Ogors have aged like the CGI in Jurassic Park. Both look phenomenal today but also have evidence of the limits of their respective eras. I would argue of all the legacy armies dating back to 6th Ed. or older that Ogors are least in need of a line refresh. I think the army that needs it most is Skaven seeing the new sculpts next to the ancient and atrocious Night Runners is laughable.  Seraphon should be next as I still attest that the resin Slann is a slap to the face of Lizardmen everywhere. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Seraphon should be next as I still attest that the resin Slann is a slap to the face of Lizardmen everywhere. 

Apart from it being in resin, I think the Slann is practically a perfect model. Great pose, great concept, great detail... I wouldn't want them to change a thing for the eventual plastic conversion, other than maybe let it be built with a slightly different pose or skink attendant or details.

There's easily half a dozen lizardmen kits that are in much more desperate need of a remake - saurus, saurus knights, temple guard (less so but still), saurus characters, skink handled monsters, chameleon skinks, kroxigors - which to my mind make them about as desperate for an update as skaven. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Don't you mean VAMPIRATE HUNTERS BAYBEE! When wish-listing in AOS it is always best to add that hint of spice 🤩

As someone just starting Ogors that makes me very excited. I am hoping to kit bash at least an Icebrow hunter as I only have BCR bits. The problem is that all of the legs seem too splayed for an unmounted unit. But I have yet to build anything as I am wrapping up my S2D army first.

But I will agree with the consensus here about how the Ogors have aged like the CGI in Jurassic Park. Both look phenomenal today but also have evidence of the limits of their respective eras. I would argue of all the legacy armies dating back to 6th Ed. or older that Ogors are least in need of a line refresh. I think the army that needs it most is Skaven seeing the new sculpts next to the ancient and atrocious Night Runners is laughable.  Seraphon should be next as I still attest that the resin Slann is a slap to the face of Lizardmen everywhere. 

With the Hunter conversion, you can sit him on a rock and it won’t look too bad 

7F067F84-2984-4F59-BB73-7C3E5D5D85C7.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Apart from it being in resin, I think the Slann is practically a perfect model. Great pose, great concept, great detail... I wouldn't want them to change a thing for the eventual plastic conversion, other than maybe let it be built with a slightly different pose or skink attendant or details.

There's easily half a dozen lizardmen kits that are in much more desperate need of a remake - saurus, saurus knights, temple guard (less so but still), saurus characters, skink handled monsters, chameleon skinks, kroxigors - which to my mind make them about as desperate for an update as skaven. 

I imagine a new Slaan kit would probably want to make it a bit more of a centerpiece,  larger base, have the throne surrounded by swirly orbiting magic stuff,  maybe more of a Katakros style diorama piece with some attendants/guards baked into the stats?

2 minutes ago, Lucentia said:

I imagine a new Slaan kit would probably want to make it a bit more of a centerpiece,  larger base, have the throne surrounded by swirly orbiting magic stuff,  maybe more of a Katakros style diorama piece with some attendants/guards baked into the stats?

You mean so you don’t have to take the astrolith bearer separately anymore ;) 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Sorry if it came across as an insult to the sculpt of the Slann, which I absolutely adore. I meant it more in the broader sense that it is one of the most iconic units in the game and central to so many lists and it deserves to be made out of a more reliable material. It will be a thankless task to the designer who has to update that unit. I completely agree on all the other points as well, I just think that the Slann being resin is emblematic of the army's need of an update. 

Whereas I used Night Runners to represent skaven's need of an update as they look so terrible next to modern sculpts within the same army. I think there is more uniformity in the outdatedness of Seraphon than with Skaven where some units look terrible next to one another. Yes the majority of Seraphon could use some tweaks, but Skaven currently look like mixing Transformers with Gobots or the "be strong for mother meme".

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Think any pre orders will be announced today? 

They would be released on the 2nd January and GW normally like to kick the year off with a bang, so maybe the slannesh release? 

The Slaanesh stuff is probably tied in with Broken Realms 2 and we've heard nothing about it yet.

My money is on something Made To Order like they usually do Christmas Day, maybe the WHFB characters they recently put up to Legends?

Next Week on Warhammer Community

Even though James Workshop does allow us to have Christmas Day off, we’ll still be showing off some new models on the big day. We’ll have a glimpse of some of the incredible miniatures that 2021 has in store – make sure that you don’t miss it! 

Warhammer TV is now enjoying a much deserved Christmas break. It will be back in the new year with all of your favourite shows and in the meantime you can catch up with anything that you may have missed over on the Warhammer TV Twitch channel.

Make sure that you sign up to our newsletter so that you don’t miss out on any of the latest updates – it’s like a Christmas present that you give to yourself. Also, join us on Facebook to share your guesses as to what you think we might be showing off on Christmas Day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1