The Rumour Thread

Those Skaven are absolutely beautiful!! The best Skaven models GW has ever done!! If more of the range looks like that I would be hard pressed to not buy in yes-yes!!

12 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

People really need to set their expectations with rumor-mongers who keep making click back based on people’s wants like Malerion, Hamun warband starter or more infamously Chorfs based entirely on a reference line from hobgrots blown out of proportion.

But anyway yeah, these look amazing and I love the lore blurbs to the light of Hysh being the literal light at the tunnel to escape the daemons feeding off fear, plus the new game rules of “map”parts allowing you to change the battlefield is really cool. :D 

(And yeah not expecting Malerion until 4th edition or further. That army needs a proper build up)

LUCKY Son of a Behemat! :D 

Still waiting on my pre-order of the Limited Edition Thondia tome to get here.

Hopefully yours arrives post-haste mate!! The Lore has already dropped some hints to the future and I've not even gotten to the narrative section!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Hopefully yours arrives post-haste mate!! The Lore has already dropped some hints to the future and I've not even gotten to the narrative section!!

Thanks, friend! And yeah I already read some leaks from it and super excited. Those giant floating cactus ball herds that seek out any prey to impale and can even be used in terrain rules have me drooling. 😃

Also interesting to note the warbands are from the first Nethermaze art with Xandire? 

could those three artworks actually be a subtle roadmap?

Edit: Also on the DoK + Malerion’s  Shadowkin, I’d definitely say it’s a wait and see. If he’s a full new edition army then it does give him more reason to be a separate army(I think at this point it’s fans more than GW who are soup-obsessed)

Even this article notes how power-hungry the new God-Queen is so it’s not like that’ll line up great with working with Malerion who keeps undermining her at every turn. But who knows? Circumstances can change and they might need eachother or they show how opposite they are to the light gods by working apart instead of with eachother.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dondarion said:

It is possible that GW could join daughters of khaine with umbraneth in a one single Battletome... weird but it is possible.

It would not be happening in the edition since Daughters of Khaine are getting a new battletome like in a month from now

9 minutes ago, Dondarion said:

It is possible that GW could join daughters of khaine with umbraneth in a one single Battletome... weird but it is possible.

At this point I think we are never going to see Malerion. 

Now morathi is the center of all narratives, DoK's army has the most releases in the last year and half with two battletomes, one broken realms just for her and another one wich she was protagonic (Morathi speaking was the teaser of broken realms 4), two vs boxes of the last 5 (or 4?), two underworlds bands, one warcry band (the only non chaotic faction that gets one), two heroes in two separate releases and endless spells (the last book to receive endless spells).

GW wants Morathi to be the face of order, or at least aelves and i don’t think they want to risk all this effort with a more hyped/more important character that rules the same realm and uses the same magic with almost the same units.

Malerion seems to be dead.

26 minutes ago, Ragest said:

Now morathi is the center of all narratives, DoK's army has the most releases in the last year and half with two battletomes, one broken realms just for her and another one wich she was protagonic (Morathi speaking was the teaser of broken realms 4), two vs boxes of the last 5 (or 4?), two underworlds bands, one warcry band (the only non chaotic faction that gets one), two heroes in two separate releases and endless spells (the last book to receive endless spells).

GW wants Morathi to be the face of order, or at least aelves and i don’t think they want to risk all this effort with a more hyped/more important character that rules the same realm and uses the same magic with almost the same units.

While it's certainly disappointing to not see Malerion's faction yet, it doesn't mean it's not coming. GW has at least a 10 year plan for AoS and Pete Foley the boss of boxed games said they weren't going to stop introducing new factions. I think chaos Duardin, Malerion, Kurnothi and maybe even grotbag scuttlers are coming, just not in a timeframe that we would like. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chikout said:

While it's certainly disappointing to not see Malerion's faction yet, it doesn't mean it's not coming. GW has at least a 10 year plan for AoS and Pete Foley the boss of boxed games said they weren't going to stop introducing new factions. I think chaos Duardin, Malerion, Kurnothi and maybe even grotbag scuttlers are coming, just not in a timeframe that we would like. 

After decades of waiting the Squats we're prepared for the last bastion of Dwarfdom to be brought back.

Hoping still with tall Hats and bovine features.

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson
  • LOVE IT! 1

Awww yeah, very happy with the Skaven, exactly what we actually need :)

Seems like 3 Assassins and 2 gutter runners too? Which means we might see Triads back! Ofc telling what type of Rat assassin a given model is is more art than science :P

Shadow elves are alright, definitely very similar to the Warcry ones which is a shame creatively i guess? but still right up my alley ;) Its pretty true to Underworlds roots as alt sculpts home.

The rules preview sound more like current GWs obsession with bloat but that said ive not played underworlds since the first season so i may be way off.

Sometimes Underworlds seems like it exists just to show off the sculptors skills and for no other reason. 

Like oh this is what Skaven and Seraphon could look like... but we'll just give you a single hero and a tome when your book is released...

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 12

YES! New eshin sculpts!. Skaven seem to have a new sculptor but they still look like themselves (not in the box art, they're ugly there, but that's irrelevant). These new minuatures look great, maybe even too dinamic for my taste, but still love them.

2 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Sometimes Underworlds seems like it exists just to show off the sculptors skills and for no other reason. 

Like oh this is what Skaven and Seraphon could look like... but we'll just give you a single hero and a tome when your book is released...

I believe that's how it started. Back in the days of AoS 1st edition the early sets were designed to be cool little cosmetic add ons to your AoS armies for alternate sculpts. But someone was also designing Underworlds as a beer and pretzels game they could sell. The two ended up being mixed and now it serves as a place for the sculptors to just kind of go all out without worrying about having to keep the uniformity that regular units do or alternate takes to models.

• Like 7

The Shroud Queen looks A LOT like a hedonite. A shame the shardspeaker is practically useless but has potential as a Lord of Pain.

The Rat on a pipe has got to be my favourite. Got a Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon vibe. The sword also got that Chinese Dao-look to it.

Edited by pnkdth
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, novakai said:

It would not be happening in the edition since Daughters of Khaine are getting a new battletome like in a month from now

yes, you're right... I didnt thought about that... Maybe in the future. I mean, it is so weird beacause i forgot that Daughters of khaine are going to receive a new battletome that soon.

Edited by Dondarion

1 hour ago, Ragest said:

Don't know if I would agree that Morathi is the face of Order. These rather obscure armoured warriors of the god of humans did receive quite a few things in the last few months... I think five named characters (Garrus Steelsoul, Yndrasta, Bastian and the two dragon princes) as well as quite a few new units. And when it comes to Aelves Teclis and the Lumineth and Alarielle (who is due to get a new tome too) are very present, active and important as well. 

• Like 4

First let me say that I think the DoK models look fantastic in the new Underworld set as do the Skaven!

I think the reason there's some "eh" over the DoK is because they are so very similar ot the Warcry set to the point where they almost look like just alternate sculpts. We are more used to Underworld giving us something "new" within armies. Either a model that's way more fancy than regular or which is totally unique. Meanwhile these feel like they are of the same/similar calibre to the Warcry models. They don't feel unique/fresh.

Considering that DoK keeps getting drip fed things but never a big chunky second wave of models, I do end up wondering if GW doesn't know quite what to do with DoK; and it could be one or more things

1) Perhaps its popular financially, but no one on the design team really likes them enough to go wild with the creative ideas. To flesh out war engines, additional troop and cavalry types; to add shadow demons/beasts and more. Or the person who carries the torch hasn't got many ideas beyond what's already there.

2) GW already has most  of the Dark Elf army present in AoS, mostly in Cities of Sigmar. The only thing they are missing is one or two hero models and the reapeater bolt thrower; otherwise its pretty much all there. So perhaps GW kind of feels like just putting them back together as they were. Thing is DoK are popular on their own and have a very distinct style and theme. 

I wonder if this is why GW "soft" allied them in the last expansion book. Testing the waters to see if people really did want to just make Dark Elf armies again or if DoK are able to fully stand on their own. 

3) GW doesn't know where to take DoK. They've creative ideas nad a good place in the story, but no real plan for how to evolve and advance them. So they are kind of "stuck" which is made worse by the fact that the army already performs well so it doesn't really "need" anything else. Part of this being reinforced by AoS having very few unit niches within itself. Just artillery hero, troop and monster. They don't even separate cavalry (and cavalry style units) into their own category. This is in contrast to 40K which has way way more unit divisions and niches within those divisions. 

• Like 9

Really love the Skaven, and I do enjoy the Elves (particularly the leader and the Crossbow one). A bit bummed we didn't get to see Malerion's Elves, because I'm very curious to see what they look like, but as primarily an Underworlds player (well I play Blood Bowl too...), I love this boxed set. To me the warbands are a huge improvement over the previous starter/season (the first I picked up nothing from).

Mechanically, I hope they get rid of the darkness objective hexes, as I feel they really hamstring a lot of warband's special mechanics (ones that weren't particularly great in the first place too). Also not very excited for MORE keywords, the game has so much design space already I don't feel like more special rules are needed.

Either way, two thumbs up from this guy.

• Like 1

Skaven look great.

Shadowstalkers look identical to the existing ones and we already had a DoK warband at the end of Beastgrave, so it's pretty soon. Seems like a wasted opportunity to put out difficult sculpts for others who actually could've used the diversity.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Overread said:

First let me say that I think the DoK models look fantastic in the new Underworld set as do the Skaven!

I think the reason there's some "eh" over the DoK is because they are so very similar ot the Warcry set to the point where they almost look like just alternate sculpts. We are more used to Underworld giving us something "new" within armies. Either a model that's way more fancy than regular or which is totally unique. Meanwhile these feel like they are of the same/similar calibre to the Warcry models. They don't feel unique/fresh.

Considering that DoK keeps getting drip fed things but never a big chunky second wave of models, I do end up wondering if GW doesn't know quite what to do with DoK; and it could be one or more things

1) Perhaps its popular financially, but no one on the design team really likes them enough to go wild with the creative ideas. To flesh out war engines, additional troop and cavalry types; to add shadow demons/beasts and more. Or the person who carries the torch hasn't got many ideas beyond what's already there.

2) GW already has most  of the Dark Elf army present in AoS, mostly in Cities of Sigmar. The only thing they are missing is one or two hero models and the reapeater bolt thrower; otherwise its pretty much all there. So perhaps GW kind of feels like just putting them back together as they were. Thing is DoK are popular on their own and have a very distinct style and theme. 

I wonder if this is why GW "soft" allied them in the last expansion book. Testing the waters to see if people really did want to just make Dark Elf armies again or if DoK are able to fully stand on their own. 

3) GW doesn't know where to take DoK. They've creative ideas nad a good place in the story, but no real plan for how to evolve and advance them. So they are kind of "stuck" which is made worse by the fact that the army already performs well so it doesn't really "need" anything else. Part of this being reinforced by AoS having very few unit niches within itself. Just artillery hero, troop and monster. They don't even separate cavalry (and cavalry style units) into their own category. This is in contrast to 40K which has way way more unit divisions and niches within those divisions. 

I think I'd agree broadly with what you've said, both in my reaction to this new warband and on Dok as a whole.

I would add though, that as much as they don't really seem to know what to do with DoK as a whole, they clearly had a very good idea what they wanted to do with Morathi, who, for me, has been the absolute highlight story-wise since I came back to the hobby just after Soul Wars came out.

I really hope they still have interesting ideas of stuff to do with her and also that they can give the kind of development she has seen to some of the other characters, both major and minor, in the setting.

My worry is that now that she has acheived what she set out to do, that she just sort of languishes in the background and eventually we see her and DoK combine with Malerion for little other reason than thats how WHFB worked and thats all we can think to do with her.

• Like 3