The Rumour Thread

GW is going to regret doing such a low-effort job on the IDK tome (and I say this as a sometime IDK player, this isn't sour grapes speaking). Not changing High Tide is going to be a balance nightmare that is going to continue to haunt them, and the decision to even expand the ability to get fights-first in the army via the King and to give a subfaction that allows you to charge *and* fight again - which can be comboed with the fights first in particularly horrific ways - is going to result in some truly epic feels-bads where people literally lose their entire army in one combat phase during High Tide with no ability to strike back before it happens. Maybe the aim was to create a book that can create as much NPE in melee as some books can create via shooting? Like the other side of the coin to Sentinels? 

It also seems to have pretty terrible internal balance, it's just that what's good and bad are reversed in a lot of cases from the old tome. No more eels, now you'll get tabled on High Tide by Namarti instead. 

I am not 100% sure the Namarti build is going to be competitively overpowered (though I wouldn't be surprised if it is), but I am 100% sure it is going to lead to some really serious feels-bad moments. 

Unless of course THWG's source turns out to be garbage, which I guess we'll find out tomorrow. But I have to think that isn't the case, I really don't think he'd have published this if it wasn't reliable given everyone will find out tomorrow if it isn't. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

58 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

GW is going to regret doing such a low-effort job on the IDK tome (and I say this as a sometime IDK player, this isn't sour grapes speaking). Not changing High Tide is going to be a balance nightmare that is going to continue to haunt them, and the decision to even expand the ability to get fights-first in the army via the King and to give a subfaction that allows you to charge *and* fight again - which can be comboed with the fights first in particularly horrific ways - is going to result in some truly epic feels-bads where people literally lose their entire army in one combat phase during High Tide with no ability to strike back before it happens. Maybe the aim was to create a book that can create as much NPE in melee as some books can create via shooting? Like the other side of the coin to Sentinels? 

It also seems to have pretty terrible internal balance, it's just that what's good and bad are reversed in a lot of cases from the old tome. No more eels, now you'll get tabled on High Tide by Namarti instead. 

I am not 100% sure the Namarti build is going to be competitively overpowered (though I wouldn't be surprised if it is), but I am 100% sure it is going to lead to some really serious feels-bad moments. 

Unless of course THWG's source turns out to be garbage, which I guess we'll find out tomorrow. But I have to think that isn't the case, I really don't think he'd have published this if it wasn't reliable given everyone will find out tomorrow if it isn't. 

ill copy my idk post i did.

so seems my fears were true. we will be forced to only spam thralls..... it would be like a brettonian army without any cavalry. i dont get why everything got nerfed to not affect mounts.

but yes, thralls are absurded. and it is really bad for the tome since it will be competitive but only spamming thralls, exactly the same as the years we were forced to only spam eels. i dont see that as healthy tome. would have liked more a more balanced thralls but every aura affecting mounts and ranged again etc.

now we will be a hyper alphaestrike melee army , maybe top army but sadly not my style. lucky i hate tournaments so will keep using my balanced lists, but with so much lower power than usual

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yukishiro1 said:

The rules are fine, the point costs however are freaking random.

and as you‘ve said: They‘ve simply inverted what‘s good by cranking up the points to utter stupidity levels. 500 for a leviadon? 🤣

@Kitsumy I agree. This might be the first time that has a purely sales driven movement of power across units. I‘d prefer a mixed arms force, but that never seems to be what GW does. Compared to 40K books the AoS books since 3.0 have been pure rubbish. As have been the treatment of AoS as a whole sadly.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

With Warhammer Worlds 25th Anniversary this weekend do you think we could see any more Previews before Adepticon?

If the studio staff are there, we may see some nuggets of information but I’m not expecting anything as it’s only a few weeks until Adepticon. Would not be surprised to see some leaks before then as Horus Heresy seems to be doing the rounds at moment.

11 hours ago, Wordy9th said:

Should I read anything into there being a 40k doubles tournament but naught for AoS? 😇

Not at all. I think GW/WW are just being careful about having too many events ahead in case they have to cancel things due to covid. Whilst UK is broadly back to “normal” I would not be surprised to see things change later this year (hopefully not but it could). They are just not cramming too many events in. Plus they may be waiting for more 3rd edition books to come out.

As for first thoughts on the new books… I have no idea but I can remember a few months ago with what people were saying about Stormcast/Orruks/Nurgle and there seems to be a lot of variety in those books looking at what people are using. I think they will be okay but I’m curious to see how they have been updated! 

• Thanks 3

On 2/25/2022 at 1:59 PM, AngryPanda said:

What happened to balancing battleline with heavy hitters? It’s similar to the mistake they made with Imperial Knights that dominated the 40k meta, where players spammed them at tournaments without repercussion. It removes the fun of building balanced lists with a strategy behind how their played, and instead guides players to building armies that are basic/simplistic without deeper thought. This sort of game design, to me at least, is really boring :(

3 hours ago, Kitsumy said:

so seems my fears were true. we will be forced to only spam thralls..... it would be like a brettonian army without any cavalry. i dont get why everything got nerfed to not affect mounts.

This harkens back to what I was saying a couple days ago, with my fear being that there’s going to be a trend towards building point-and-click armies via unit spam that have little thought behind how they’re built. We’re either going to see monster spam, or thralls. 

• Like 2

First, kudos to Rob for leaking the whole book early. GW were really ****** stealing all the data he spends ages working on.

Second, I'm disappointed that the book (coming out nearly 4 years after the first) seems to be so low effort. It fits the trend of streamlined AoS books, but I would have liked to see a few more options. For example, a prayer lore and more spells / artifacts.

Lastly, we knew thralls were going to be good but I'm surprised at how good they are. It's hard to see why you would want to take eels at all right now. Maybe one or two units of Ishlaen for trapping stuff in combat for a turn. 

I think people might also be underestimating how good sharks are going to be with the amount of combined damage they put out and the ability to fight first multiple times.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Sounds like some of the influencers are biting their tongues and faking a smile when it comes to the Fyreslayer 'tome. A lot of... "w-well... i-it won't tear up tournaments, b-but it's flavourful????"

Fury of the Deep warscrolls are unchanged despite what people were insisting would happen, except for everything (except Vulkites) going up in points.

Flamekeeper still isn't a <Priest> despite all his fluff talking about him being one. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Second, I'm disappointed that the book (coming out nearly 4 years after the first) seems to be so low effort. It fits the trend of streamlined AoS books, but I would have liked to see a few more options. For example, a prayer lore and more spells / artifacts

It does seem that, when compared to 40k books, you get a lot less bang for your book with AoS battletomes :( A lot of it is just the differences between the games, but the 2021 Slaanesh book had loads of copy and pasted rules (one of which doesn't work with the new allegiance ability) and I think this has been true with a lot of other redo books unfortunately.

It's not always the case (looking at Nurgle), but often is - I'd personally prefer they only release books when they have a good chunk to add/change to the rules.

Some changes will always be present in new books, which is a given, but they'd be more exciting if they took more risks rather than just nudging things around a bit. 

• Like 2

Very initial impression from someone who doesn't play either army but has thought about starting both:

IDK: seems powerful and I think some potential for some fun list building. Eels seem kinda disappointing and thralls seem like they have swung from useless to awesome (which is kind of worrying for my all snake DoK army but hey ho).

Fyreslayers: A faction that desperately needed reinvigorating and well... this aint it. I can't see anybody looking at this book and being excited to go and buy a Fyreslayers army. I might be wrong though. Time will tell but at this point they still like a faction failing to live up to their potential.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Enoby said:

the 2021 Slaanesh book had loads of copy and pasted rules (one of which doesn't work with the new allegiance ability) and I think this has been true with a lot of other redo books unfortunately

Maybe I'm alone, but I'm really curious about Fyreslayers (more than before).

They have a lot of fluffy rules that can be good on the table (unless you want to win the top5 meta-chasers, something that I really don't care). Another thing to be happy is that there are some new options to try on the table that can work better than before

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, HollowHills said:

First, kudos to Rob for leaking the whole book early. GW were really ****** stealing all the data he spends ages working on.

He released it a few hours early the night before everyone else, what a rebel 😂

I remember visiting WW when he worked there and saw him film a game back when GW filmed games for twitch. In between filming stuff he wasn't very pleasant to the people he was working with, I'm not surprised he doesn't work there anymore. 

3 hours ago, Clan&#x27;s Cynic said:

Sounds like some of the influencers are biting their tongues and faking a smile when it comes to the Fyreslayer 'tome. A lot of... "w-well... i-it won't tear up tournaments, b-but it's flavourful????"

Fury of the Deep warscrolls are unchanged despite what people were insisting would happen, except for everything (except Vulkites) going up in points.

Flamekeeper still isn't a <Priest> despite all his fluff talking about him being one. 

I could almost feel the sadness and confusion when reading the goonhammer review. 

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

It does seem that, when compared to 40k books, you get a lot less bang for your book with AoS battletomes

This is how I feel exactly. How doe GW have such a completely different team/mentality when it comes to both systems rules? 

This was pretty much the final nail on the coffin for AoS for me. Ill be focusing on 40k for a while now until some new stuff comes out for AoS. Hopefully they dont totally ****** up Skaven, Nighthaunt, or Chorfs.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I could almost feel the sadness and confusion when reading the goonhammer review. 

This is how I feel exactly. How doe GW have such a completely different team/mentality when it comes to both systems rules? 

This was pretty much the final nail on the coffin for AoS for me. Ill be focusing on 40k for a while now until some new stuff comes out for AoS. Hopefully they dont totally ****** up Skaven, Nighthaunt, or Chorfs.

You realise it is 2 different teams who write the rules for AoS and 40k.

Im the opposite to you, I'm happy with the team for AoS and find the 40k rules bloated and over complex. 

I had to read, reread and reread again the genestealer cults crossfire rule and the golden boys fighting stances. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Now that tome is out.

Its ofitial,every single unit in fyreslayer book is worse and expensiver than old book and havent one unit broken that can keep competitive the army as were fulminators to sc or even now tralls to idoneths.

Only fyreslayer3.0 book gonna be weaker than 2.0 book and we havent more wait to full reveal to fix it

2 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Laughs in "too dumb to play well so I'll never realise it and will mostly just focus on lore"

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

2ca1d8d8611073c1b13fc839f29127fa.gif

I honestly just like the lore more then the rules at this point. @Public Universal Duardin, when we finally get the prophesied plastic army, how are you going to paint/build them? I have plans for a a Hashut+Slaanesh carnival based on some lore from the Hedonites battletome, or I’m going to make them nautical themed from Zhar Vyxza from the SoB tome ( @KingBrodd please forgive me your swoleness, but I don’t plan on adding any gargants).

The point I’m trying to make here is that as long as we’re having fun with the book and army, who cares how badly the rules suck? know we have some tournament/meta gamers here, but the most important rule is to have fun (followed by the rule of cool).

Edited by Loyal Son of Khemri
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 3