The Rumour Thread

Blood knights were £40 new and while they don’t get any use now, the reassuring weight of metal softened the blow of spending that much on 5 models. And the fact in old hammer they were pretty beastly. Have Krell and Kemmler in finecast and no complaints other than the lightness; dome people still like heavy metal.? 

On 9/22/2018 at 3:16 AM, El Syf said:

dome people still like heavy metal.? 

I either don't get the reference, or you meant to type "some people,"

but either way I love the imagery of this; it makes me think of a group of people isolated in a fallout bunker or biodome, set aside from a crumbling civilization.

Specifically it reminds me of the book The Dome in the Forest from Paul O. Williams' Pelbar Cycle.

GW has several big beasts only sold in getting started sets, I think its how they are taking forward some of the bigger monsters in AoS for the time being. I think its part of a general move from them to try and lower the footprint of the game on the shelfspace - that being one big aspect that can stop 3rd parties stocking a game and even presents a big issue for their own stores (not just in shelf space but in having all that stock sitting on shelves).

They do, I think, have to review fantasy and get more out into the retailers, that might steadily happen as it gains traction and strength. Lets not forget a couple of years ago it was dead in the water and the AoS launch wasn't the greatest launch ever (indeed most would consider the Generals Handbook 1 the general launch). 

9 hours ago, Overread said:

GW has several big beasts only sold in getting started sets, I think its how they are taking forward some of the bigger monsters in AoS for the time being. I think its part of a general move from them to try and lower the footprint of the game on the shelfspace - that being one big aspect that can stop 3rd parties stocking a game and even presents a big issue for their own stores (not just in shelf space but in having all that stock sitting on shelves).

They do, I think, have to review fantasy and get more out into the retailers, that might steadily happen as it gains traction and strength. Lets not forget a couple of years ago it was dead in the water and the AoS launch wasn't the greatest launch ever (indeed most would consider the Generals Handbook 1 the general launch). 

I heard original AoS was so bad there was a plague of videos of people burning their 1,000’s of dollar armies. Like apparently AoS was literally garbage upon launching but I started in 2017 September and always thought it was a good game. 2.0 made it even better but the parts of 1.0 I played I thought were good. 

I’m just waiting to see when everything gets really fixed. Sure some stuff is getting nice support and is in a good place, but there’s still a lot of broken and unviable stuff too. 

The ghosts part of death is in great shape, but the everything else could use some work. 

Literally all of of Destruction needs some work. 

Half of Order is in great shape and then there’s the Dwarves (all of them, Fyreslayers, KO and dispossessed) the Elves (all of them except DoK and IDK) the regular humans and so forth. 

All of Skaven needs help. Half of the Chaos gods and even the slaves to Darkness could use a little boost. 

Theres just a lot of old models and old factions with bad or no rules that need to be cleaned up. 

8 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Theres just a lot of old models and old factions with bad or no rules that need to be cleaned up. 

Yeah, big time.

They seem to be slowly getting around to it. Beasts of Chaos treatment is a decent answer to the issue IMO.

New models would of course be better. But time and resources are finite and all that.

As a new player though I'm more interested in GW creating new factions than improving the old ones. But I might be in the minority with that sentiment.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 123lac said:

Yeah, big time.

They seem to be slowly getting around to it. Beasts of Chaos treatment is a decent answer to the issue IMO.

New models would of course be better. But time and resources are finite and all that.

As a new player though I'm more interested in GW creating new factions than improving the old ones. But I might be in the minority with that sentiment.

I only started in September 2017, so about a year as a player, so I think I’m new, but I would much rather they just fix what’s there before adding anything new. 

The more new armies and factions they add the more difficult it will be to balance the old stuff once it’s caught up, or altogether decentivise them to even bother. 

As a fan of classic fantasy regardless (LotR, Warcraft, D&D and much more) I want the “core” fantasy races to be viable and playable. Which includes the Elves, Dwarves and regular humans as well as the vampires and literally everything Destruction. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I heard original AoS was so bad there was a plague of videos of people burning their 1,000’s of dollar armies. Like apparently AoS was literally garbage upon launching but I started in 2017 September and always thought it was a good game. 2.0 made it even better but the parts of 1.0 I played I thought were good. 

I think that ending Warhammer Fantasy had something to do with that as well, there were and still are a lot of people not happy about that and how it was handled. The game was seriously in need of some help before the first generals handbook though, like some of those rules were incredibly stupid. I seriously hope they eventual update all of the old models, personally I reckon the best place to start would be with the few metal models and finecast ones that are still out there along with the oldest of the plastic kits *cough* like 99% of skaven and half of seraphon *cough*. I'm really happy about the Legions of Nagash and Beasts of Chaos release and hope the other fragmented races get similar battletomes, would be nice to see a Battletome: Free Guilds  hell one day. Hell they could even include the aelves and dispossessed in it, nothing saying the free guild has to just exclusively humans it could be similar to how the Beasts of Chaos one works.

AoS's launch was basically Kirby era managements view of "rules don't matter people will just buy our cool models because they are cool." Of which the latter part is actually partly true; what they failed to realise is that people didn't just want shelf ornaments but models for the wargame and that "oh that's cool" buying likely happens more for 3rd parties than for GW! Then again that era of management had some odd views on business, one being that they didn't need user feedback or surveys to know what the market wanted. They basically tried to be like Apple and dictate to the market, but lacked the proper marketing approach and customer relations. 

So yeah its launch was both good in that it gave fantasy attention and some great models, but bad because the rules were quite literally a joke. It would be like Magic the Gathering releasing Unhinged as their core set and then saying "well from now on its all unhinged!" It works for a little bit with a segment of the society and then fails fast. Thankfully the generals handbook came around and then GW got a management change and now we are in a  time where GW can do weekly releases so fixing things is underway. It's kind of a pain that they can't just do a big instant fix and at least present armies as they will be (even without a battletome they could still tidy up the darn store page)

8 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I’m just waiting to see when everything gets really fixed. Sure some stuff is getting nice support and is in a good place, but there’s still a lot of broken and unviable stuff too. 

The ghosts part of death is in great shape, but the everything else could use some work. 

Literally all of of Destruction needs some work. 

Half of Order is in great shape and then there’s the Dwarves (all of them, Fyreslayers, KO and dispossessed) the Elves (all of them except DoK and IDK) the regular humans and so forth. 

All of Skaven needs help. Half of the Chaos gods and even the slaves to Darkness could use a little boost. 

This is hyperbolic. There was one guy burning his army on Youtube and everyone pretty much laughed him out of the room. The game wasn't garbage, in fact it was pretty much like it is now, or at least like how it was at the end of 1.0. The big differences are the points obviously, Allegiance Abilities and the Rules of One which didn't exist. But the community quickly created several points systems which were pretty great. Overall the game was just as much fun as it is now, just not as tight and with less layers of extra rules. What it did have back then that it doesn't have now were thousands of raging WHFB fans who made sure to tell everyone, in every thread, on every forum, on every Facebook group, what a ****** game it was and how GW were going under.

Edited by Nevvermore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sharkbelly said:

Agreed. It was not competitive, though. And some did not like it because of that.

It wasn't just the lack of competitive elements though; it was also the lack of any form of balancing between forces.

Consider football - you can kick a ball around and have fun with mates because there are some basic rules underneath. Eg you don't pick up the ball, the goalie stays in the goal, you have the same number of people on each side etc... Ergo the basic rules allow for casual play that's fair and fun. AoS at launch was kind of "well just take what you want and go with that and sort of work out if its fair yourselves" which is terribly messy. 

Early AoS was basically Calvinball, where the forces are made up and the points don't exist. 

From the onset, AoS was a pretty good game, just lacked by any real balancing mechanics. How could I switch up lists after me and my opponent after testing several games finally found a combination that made for an interesting game? It really couldn't work, and a lot of people just asked for points. When we finally got the GHB, a lot of people did enter the game as it had finally reached a good level, but now all of the skeptics of Sigmar used the pre-ghb era to paint the game in the same light. Hell, even in my GW, I get these few guys who used to play fantasy keep making snide remarks that it looks like fantasy, but the lack of movement trays disuade them.  If people who didn't like sigmar before, would give the current edition and set up a try, I'm sure they'd like it.

Now all that being said, where's my Slaanesh rumors GW? The Dark Prince awaits their return.

• Like 3

Points weren't really a problem if you played at a club or similar since you could just use one of the most popular systems. We used the SCGT pools system and it worked great until GW made an official one (at least partly based on SCGT as I understand it).

Edited by Nevvermore

Yeah it definitely has a norsca or dwarven look, I'm feeling like it might be on the end of a staff. The way the it curves on the "chest" and the features of the head especially the beak makes me think it could easily be shaped sort of like a pseudo symbol of tzeentch, chaos-like but not full on like the disciples. Could also be a representation of a Magmadroth if it is dwarven.