The Rumour Thread

I like the new FS rules, fits in with dwarf stubbornness and refusal to back down even when faced with increasing hopeless odds. 

I can see it now. 

The Fyreslayers are surrounded, the enemy, far greater in number has the upper hand and is closing in for the final blow. 

The remaining slayers surrounded by their dead prepare to sell their lives. Then the chanting begins, the funeral rites start as a low rumble and rises to a defiant dirge. 

The runes of the fallen begin to glow, the remaining living dwarves seeing their kin dead plant their feet more firmly to the ground, grip their weapon even tighter and feel the eyes of the fallen watching them in the afterlife and they will not shame themselves. 

The chanting has reach its crescendo and the few remaining warriors are emboldened and empowered. 

This might be their end for they are few but they will make the enemy pay the blood price for every fyreslayer killed today. 

• Like 13

10 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

new Ossiarch Bonereapers rules

I actually think those are quite nice. They definitely do more to adress the weaknesses OBR have been facing since the start of 3rd edition. I was surprised to see that they actually got new generic command abilities and heroic actions. I 100% expected them to just get the standard stuff like a bunch of new battle tactics and minor allegiance abilities. It's nice that these rules actually seem to tackle two problems OBR had: Not having anything to spend RDP on and not being able to use Heroic Inspiration.

All their tome celestial rules seem to be pushing into the direction of mechanical efficiency: Free commands, reliable healing, un-unbindable spells. Their new battle tactics are also very reliable. I think that makes OBR an attractive choice for "Spike" players that like high consistency, high value armies. Previously, I feel like they were trying to be that, but kind of not pulling it off.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Sorry if already posted or forbidden knowledge, but here are the new Ossiarch Bonereapers rules, from the last WD's Tome Celestial : 

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/5965

From Bob at War of Sigmar :) 

Sidenote, it is good to see Hastings still active! His comments in that thread are sadly, exactly what I think is happening now with AoS.

52 minutes ago, Austin said:

Sidenote, it is good to see Hastings still active! His comments in that thread are sadly, exactly what I think is happening now with AoS.

He's wrong though. (He said AoS is being ignored in favour of 40k)  It's been less than a year since AoS was dominating the release schedule. Last year AoS had 5 big ranges of minis released, 40k had just 3. (Orks, sisters and black Templars) Eldar and Chaos will give them a similar 12 months to AoS. 

Delays have dampened the hype for AoS somewhat but that's largely out of GW's control. I'm pretty sure that the  Fyreslayers idk box was originally intended to be a winter 2021 release, and maybe the battletomes too. 

Even so it's only been six months since AoS 3 launched. 2nd edition didn't get a narrative advancement until May  2019 with Forbidden Power, almost a year after the launch. I'd expect something similar for AoS 3. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

I think people are sleeping on how good charging in the enemy combat phase could be for fyreslayers. Picking how to fight them is pretty critical. If an enemy charges a hero or more vulnerable spot this ability lets the fyreslayers charge that nearby block of Hearthguard into the fight and fight first with them. Seems like it would make it very hard to charge a block of dwarves with this guy. 

of course it’s just one more hero to shoot or kill with magic from range. 

3 hours ago, Austin said:

Several years of pandemic-related shortages, lockdowns, social distancing, game space closures, and a general inability to play in person will kill the momentum and interest in most any in-person multiplayer experience, especially with tabletop games. GW's releases are all backed up as well, which doesn't help things at all - they likely had a plan of advertising and promotion that they haven't been able to execute for several years now, which also contributes to the lack of enthusiasm folks seem to be feeling about tabletop gaming also.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chikout said:

He's wrong though. (He said AoS is being ignored in favour of 40k)  It's been less than a year since AoS was dominating the release schedule. Last year AoS had 5 big ranges of minis released, 40k had just 3. (Orks, sisters and black Templars) Eldar and Chaos will give them a similar 12 months to AoS. 

Delays have dampened the hype for AoS somewhat but that's largely out of GW's control. I'm pretty sure that the  Fyreslayers idk box was originally intended to be a winter 2021 release, and maybe the battletomes too. 

Even so it's only been six months since AoS 3 launched. 2nd edition didn't get a narrative advancement until May  2019 with Forbidden Power, almost a year after the launch. I'd expect something similar for AoS 3. 

Disagree. Ever since covid, gw have been prioritising 40K releases over AoS. That’s not to say 40K haven’t seen delays too, but AoS seems to be hit much harder by them

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Disagree. Ever since covid, gw have been prioritising 40K releases over AoS. That’s not to say 40K haven’t seen delays too, but AoS seems to be hit much harder by them

I don't think this is true. 2021 was a awesome year for AoS even with delays,  big releases and army refreshes. 

40k has had a lot of releases recently due to delays so makes it seem 40k heavy. 

And as others have pointed out there always seems to be a gap between a new edition and the next big narrative release in both 40k and AoS. 

I would also agure with there being a lack of enthusiasm for AoS. It might seem so due to a loud vocal online presence. 

I'll argue for one person saying AoS is dying there are 20 hobbiests who are just painting and playing happily. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Chikout said:

I cannot wait for the next narrative event!! I really hope it centres on Destruction rising!!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Chikout said:

How many main factions for 40k see their rules dropped as White Dwarf features? I think maybe you could look back and see that that number throughout all editions of 40k is less than just this one edition for AoS. 

Edited by Austin

I wonder whether the question of which game system gets favoured may be more correlated to the size of the departments and their respective production regimes rather that a deliberate decision to favour one over the other.

The AoS/40K/middle earth team are all separate. It is in all their interests to release as much stuff as possible to make their departments make more money.

But there are only so many space marines you can sell before people switch off… and as for other factions, the size of the release has to be calibrated to some degree to the demand.

I hear a lot of people wanting more stuff for Beasts of Chaos. But is suspect that most Beast players already have 2000-3000 point armies and may not buy 200 more goats when the new Bestigor version comes out… hence there may not be that much interest in them updating some ranges. For example, how many of the new skeletons and zombies do we see being played?

I could  be wrong…

39 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

I don't think this is true. 2021 was a awesome year for AoS even with delays,  big releases and army refreshes. 

40k has had a lot of releases recently due to delays so makes it seem 40k heavy. 

And as others have pointed out there always seems to be a gap between a new edition and the next big narrative release in both 40k and AoS. 

I would also agure with there being a lack of enthusiasm for AoS. It might seem so due to a loud vocal online presence. 

I'll argue for one person saying AoS is dying there are 20 hobbiests who are just painting and playing happily. 

AoS in 2021 had Slaanesh (delayed from 2020), Daughters (delayed from 2020), Soulblight Gravelords (don’t know if the book was delayed but Cursed City definitely was, which I believe would have also delayed the book), Lumineth (pretty sure these were delayed from 2020 as well as I don’t believe gw intended to release 2 books so close together-my thoughts are the wave 2 models were delayed for some reason and gw decided to release a smaller book as the backlash from delaying Lumineth considering all the hype was something they didn’t want to deal with), Stormcast, Nurgle, Orruks. Of these, all but 3 were meant to be in 2020, and of those 3, only 2 got a reasonable amount of models 

yes I’m ignoring the single model releases that came with the Broken Realms books

1 hour ago, Austin said:

How many main factions for 40k see their rules dropped as White Dwarf features? I think maybe you could look back and see that that number throughout all editions of 40k is less than just this one edition for AoS. 

To be fair 40k players have to buy supplement books for £30 to get this kind of update...