The Rumour Thread

18 hours ago, Ogregut said:

Why would 3rd edition make it obsolete? It will be released along side AoS 3 with point updates, battleplans and diffrent ways to play. 

would those not be in the rulebook already?

18 hours ago, Landohammer said:

Why do you assume the GHB would be for 2nd edition?

The new edition will come out alongside a new GHB. The GHB 2021 will likely modify points to accommodate changes in 3rd.

I am assuming the 3.0 rulebook is enough to play with, and us not needing to also buy another book in order to play 3.0 properly

3 minutes ago, Warfiend said:

It will encourage people to reliable not go first, first turn because they can go into a double turn with a cp advantage.

True, but after first turn, that won't be all that much, and we don't yet know if extra CP carry over into the next battleround or are lost, as has been rumored.

2 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

True, but after first turn, that won't be all that much, and we don't yet know if extra CP carry over into the next battleround or are lost, as has been rumored.

by now I would say that they probably don't carry over, considering how all the other leaks were spot on :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

The points changes won't be (keeping them out of the core makes the product more evergreen). Matched play battle plans are usually expanded in the GT books, and I would be surprised if they didn't continue that with GHB2021

The changes to monsters, heroes, and CP are interesting. My manglers will have some interesting things to do. 

• Thanks 2

I like the look of these at first glance, but I'd like some clarification:

A benefit for your generals and totems is a larger command range? Cool, sounds good.

But, what's the point of a larger command range if unit leaders can use commands? Obviously in niche situations like targeted model removal, but otherwise the unit leader will always be in range and most units have a leader. Obviously this only matters for the generic command abilities (because a unit doesn't have their unique ones), but it still seems odd (especially as warscroll command abilities already have their own range).

Maybe heroes will have access to different command abilities? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Enoby said:

I like the look of these at first glance, but I'd like some clarification:

A benefit for your generals and totems is a larger command range? Cool, sounds good.

But, what's the point of a larger command range if unit leaders can use commands? Obviously in niche situations like targeted model removal, but otherwise the unit leader will always be in range and most units have a leader. Obviously this only matters for the generic command abilities (because a unit doesn't have their unique ones), but it still seems odd (especially as warscroll command abilities already have their own range).

Maybe heroes will have access to different command abilities? 

Regular units can't use all command abilities. Some are still locked behind warscrolls or battalions, or maybe even require the HERO keyword to use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, CommissarRotke said:

I am assuming the 3.0 rulebook is enough to play with, and us not needing to also buy another book in order to play 3.0 properly

Yea there is no precedent for that. Points/battleplans for AOS and 40k have always been segregated into companion booklets. At least for the last few years. I don't see that changing in 3rd. 

And if you haven't noticed, GW has no issue requiring you to buy multiple books to play. Just ask Lumineth or Space Marine players lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, PJetski said:

Regular units can't use all command abilities. Some are still locked behind warscrolls or battalions, or maybe even require the HERO keyword to use.

I hope this is the case! I'd like minor commands to be used by units (e.g. rr 1s to hit), but not larger ones (like ignore battleshock).

4 minutes ago, Acrozatarim said:

Interesting that it seems like they're looking for ways to make Bravery more important beyond battleshock tests.

I kinda wish they made all heroic actions and monstrous rampages require a bravery check, would actually make debuffs real spicy.

Edited by chosen_of_khaine
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I really like how these new rules work with the Invaders Host, as they get three generals (that give command points when slain, and then also make it easier for other heroes to give command points with the new rules).

Tbh, considering the number of ways to get command points in Invaders I think it'll be a really fun one to use in AoS 3. 

Edited by Enoby

Oh, and this does open the door for allegiance-specific monster and hero actions.

Just four monster actions to choose from might sound limiting for a Sons of Behemat army, for example, but the next version of SoB could come with unique new monster actions of their own to expand the list.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I really like how these new rules work with the Invaders Host, as they get three generals (that give command points when slain, and then also make it easier for other heroes to give command points).

Tbh, considering the number of ways to get command points in Invaders I think it'll be a really fun one to use in AoS 3. 

You are thinking strategically and all I can do is grin gleefully and think of how my stonehorns can smash faction terrain.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Haha 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

38 minutes ago, Warfiend said:

It will encourage people to reliable not go first, first turn because they can go into a double turn with a cp advantage.

Listlab who has been 100% about everything so far said that command points are reset at the end of each battleround, so that scenario won't occur. 

It's been an interesting week so far. Tuesday-minor tidbit, Wednesday- minor tidbit, Thusrday- overwhelming flood of info.

Lots of potentially cool abilities but it will take wiser heads than mine to parse out how this will end up effecting the game. 

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

i for one am really happy for the terrain smashing thing. Faction terrains were basically "this happens at no extra cost" that only some armies had. Giving a counter to that is very nice

On one hand, my Sylvaneth are costed to take my faction terrain into account - without it, we're done!

On the other hand, that does mean that high-level play now forces enemy monsters to make tough decisions - do they boost their monster or try to take out my terrain?

I may be misunderstanding, but a round encompasses both players turns right? So every round, whoever goes second will get an extra CP at the start? So a player who keeps going second will end up with double the CP to the person always going first? If so it would encourage less double turns, but would also give the second player a HUGE advantage in Command Abilities. 

Just now, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

On one hand, my Sylvaneth are costed to take my faction terrain into account - without it, we're done!

The ability just stop using the warscrolls effects no? If they still have the keyword we can still use the teleport and the buffs our units receive when near them.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

I kinda wish they made all heroic actions and monstrous rampages require a bravery check, would actually make debuffs real spicy.

I was thinking about doing a houserule where Command abilities don't use points, but key off a Bravery test (roll under on 2d6) for the unit being affected (with each Leader only getting one command a turn) for that exact reason. Makes Bravery really matter.

8 minutes ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

On the other hand, that does mean that high-level play now forces enemy monsters to make tough decisions - do they boost their monster or try to take out my terrain?

A decision you don't have to make when you have 4 stegadons