The Rumour Thread

10 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

What we now know as the Mortal Realms would be 'bubble dimensions' and armies would fight when they bumped into one another.

If I remember the person who said this was right about most of the other "WHFB is being replaced with AoS" information.

I remember that as well. There was also the rumour of the WFB dwarf release would include plastic slayers, which didn't arrive but then Fyreslayers arrived later [hastings is convinced the slayer designers turned into fyreslayer models]..I also remember a poster on Warseer suddenly got some rumours - new shaven rat ogres with sci-fi weapons [turned into Stormfiends ], dwarf tunnelling machine and new lizard men models.. none of which materialised but he also talked about new marines.. Harry had to talk the rumours down bit which had me thinking this guy had seen something too far ahead to mention in rumours.. so maybe there are dwarf tunnelling machine and new Seraphon concepts sitting there [this was before AoS arrived- Harry new Lizardmen would be called something else and also that a sprue that popped up and was being labelled "squat" was "something stranger altogether" -I'm certain it was a KO sprue, I didn't recognise it then as they didn't exist at all]. 

So somethings are planned/sculpted years ahead but maybe not put into production straight away or repurposed into other things [digital sculpted files for example can sit for a while- Angron etc could be done on a file somewhere just not modelled up].

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, silverstu said:

I remember that as well. There was also the rumour of the WFB dwarf release would include plastic slayers, which didn't arrive but then Fyreslayers arrived later [hastings is convinced the slayer designers turned into fyreslayer models]..I also remember a poster on Warseer suddenly got some rumours - new shaven rat ogres with sci-fi weapons [turned into Stormfiends ], dwarf tunnelling machine and new lizard men models.. none of which materialised but he also talked about new marines.. Harry had to talk the rumours down bit which had me thinking this guy had seen something too far ahead to mention in rumours.. so maybe there are dwarf tunnelling machine and new Seraphon concepts sitting there [this was before AoS arrived- Harry new Lizardmen would be called something else and also that a sprue that popped up and was being labelled "squat" was "something stranger altogether" -I'm certain it was a KO sprue, I didn't recognise it then as they didn't exist at all]. 

So somethings are planned/sculpted years ahead but maybe not put into production straight away or repurposed into other things [digital sculpted files for example can sit for a while- Angron etc could be done on a file somewhere just not modelled up].

WHFB's Dwarf releases seem to have been tumultuous towards the end. If I remember correctly the Dwarf release had been ready for years (there'd be rumours saying they were 'just around the corner' for ages) and the date they stamped on the bases more or less confirmed it (I think Belegar was stamped for 2011 despite not being released before 2014?) Also if I remember correctly one of the designers said that Dwarfs were also supposed to receive a multi-part plastic Lord/Battle Standard Bearer kit like the Empire and Greenskins but something happened along the way and it never materialised. 

The 8th edition release did include the Dragonslayer (now rebranded/painted as Grombrindal) so that rumour wasn't entirely wrong, but back then it was very odd he should land without any unit release, especially when the proportions (now closer to the Fyreslayers) were so different. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Also if I remember correctly one of the designers said that Dwarfs were also supposed to receive a multi-part plastic Lord/Battle Standard Bearer kit like the Empire and Greenskins but something happened along the way and it never materialised. 

There are photos of this sprue floating around the internet, so it certainly existed at some point. There were rumours of the steel mould breaking, and deemed not to be financially viable to remake.

Edit:

Found it!

The Unreleased Lord Sprue - The Forge - Bugmans Brewery - The Home for all  Warhammer Dwarf Fans

Edited by dekay
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, drcrater said:

The sons of behemat underworld band should be a couple of detailed miniatures of a gargant foot, and another of a giant club impacting the floor. And you play with that, smashing your enemies with 1 gargant that cannot fit on a Underworlds board :D 

I'd be all over it!! My first STEP into Underworlds.

13 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

Obviously it's difficult to determine if a rumor is wrong or if it simply hasn't come true yet, but what are some of the more famous examples of rumors that never panned out?

Since I play ogres, two that I remember are

1. Gutbusters would get dropped, and BCR would have new "Ice King" models that were giant-sized frost-elemental ogres

2. The BCR/Gutbuster merge would involve all the old resin kits getting dropped and that they'd actually get Endless Spells (one of which would have just been a piece of floating meat, lol)

Ice King Giant Frost Ogors? ****** that sounds insane!!

57 minutes ago, Grim Beasties said:

That's not even that crazy of an idea as there was a WD scenario and card for a glass mad Gargant. I don't think are mystery April warband is a Gargant but I would be happy to be wrong.

I remember that one!! So it's not unheard of and could happen? Probably not but then again ...

2 hours ago, dekay said:

There are photos of this sprue floating around the internet, so it certainly existed at some point. There were rumours of the steel mould breaking, and deemed not to be financially viable to remake.

Edit:

Found it!

The Unreleased Lord Sprue - The Forge - Bugmans Brewery - The Home for all  Warhammer Dwarf Fans

Heh.... If only did they put any effort into managing their game back then......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dekay said:

Edit:

Found it!

Oh, what a pity. It looks so good.

Apparently the Dual character kits sold abysmally which is why no more came out, explains why the dwarf one got cancelled if the mould broke :( 

GW does all kinds of things that dont get released, or get drastically delayed or redone, one example being the old Tallarn rough riders which were designed to be on camels but they ditched that and used Attilan bits and plastic horses in the release version instead but the camel versions were around HQ for years. I expect there have been numerous examples since over the years.

I get the feeling the Space marine one set an impossible target as people (Staff mostly lol) bought several of those to use for bits while the Orc and Empire general ones people bought one, and only if they collected the army. The Wizards one was ace but might have been too little too late?

9 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

I get the feeling the Space marine one set an impossible target as people (Staff mostly lol) bought several of those to use for bits while the Orc and Empire general ones people bought one, and only if they collected the army. The Wizards one was ace but might have been too little too late?

I get that, the SM one was great and had tons of options. Besides that though the orc kit was a poor sculpt with low detail and bad poses on both variants.

Sadly the unreleased dwarf one looks to have been closer to that, just a dwarf in a plain action figure pose, arms out. It would have compared pretty unfavourably with the excellent range of characterful metal dwarf heroes that came out around 7th edition.

20 minutes ago, michu said:

What? Why? Doesn't make any sense to me. Perfect for kitbashes.

That might be a part of the problem maybe? SM Commander box + combat squad gave you 6 characters for the price of 2 if you weren't picky about their loadouts (and WFB was always less strict on WYSIWYG on characters)

15 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

What we now know as the Mortal Realms would be 'bubble dimensions' and armies would fight when they bumped into one another.

If I remember the person who said this was right about most of the other "WHFB is being replaced with AoS" information.

Lorewise it still works. The realms are all seperate from each other and thanks to the end times we know that the warp contains countless seperate universes in little bubbles of reality.

So they were probably leading off that and made some assumptions.

16 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

The BCR/Gutbuster merge would involve all the old resin kits getting dropped and that they'd actually get Endless Spells (one of which would have just been a piece of floating meat, lol)

Could have been a concept but it ended up being dropped too close to the deadline to design new ones from scratch? 

still find it so incredibly weird that not every magic wielding army got some. For khorne’s sake, two armies without magic wielders got them 

3 hours ago, dekay said:

Edit:

Found it!

I’d swear I have some very, very similar bits to that. I’ll have a look tomorrow. But close enough to the point I’d be willing to wager they repurposed that top left axe for something (or the otherway around) 

(probably wrong of course. But still 😅)

Edited by Kramer

3 hours ago, Bayul said:

Behold the Sons of Bearhemat:

Behemats moist armpit those are impressive!! 

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Could have been a concept but it ended up being dropped too close to the deadline to design new ones from scratch? 

still find it so incredibly weird that not every magic wielding army got some. For khorne’s sake, two armies without magic wielders got them 

I really hope that eventually every Faction has either an Endless Spell or Terrain Piece. I'd love to see Orruk Warclans get something and of course the Sons of Behemat. 

My idea for the Sons is still an overturned Caravan or Mammoth covered in gear and food that acts as a 'Healing Station'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

lly hope that eventually every Faction has either an Endless Spell or Terrain Piece. I'd love to see Orruk Warclans get something and of course the Sons of Behemat. 

My idea for the Sons is still an overturned Caravan or Mammoth covered in gear and food that acts as a 'Healing Station'.

Why stop there. Why not an upgrade kit for the behemats for a priest model  and endless prayers 😍

and yes that green foot of gork/mork endless spell should have been a thing. 

• LOVE IT! 1

17 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Why stop there. Why not an upgrade kit for the behemats for a priest model  and endless prayers 😍

The Orruk Warclans Gork/Mork Foot is so in your face throughout Orruk/Orc history it's quite shocking it hasnt happend yet. 

I would 100% be down for an upgrade sprue!! A Priest upgrade sprue with a church/chapels tower as a staff!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

I'm still low-key bitter than Orruk Warclans never got endless spells!  I can think of like 10 great ones for them off the top of my head!  Don't believe me?  Watch:

Foot of Gork (Obviously)
Mork's Booger Pool (like a big template spell similar to gravetide that blockup and area and slows units that start their move next to it)
Fist of Gork (Like the foot of course but more punchy and less stompy)
Great Drum (like a giant buff spell)
Devouring Fissure (just a big green fissure in the ground to swallow people or something, probably in like 3 pieces to cover a longer area)
Eye of Mork (Just a big eyeball that stares people down for some sort of debuff to stop them or maybe a LoS extension like the ossiarch bird)
Da Bashin' Stick (A big stick model that moves to hit stuff but hits better if there's nearby terrain to knock over onto people)
Da Green Spirit (A creature lookin' spell that does minimal damage, but forces enemies into combat so they’ll  have to dispel it or retreat to get away)
WAAAAAGH! Storm (A bunch of lightning-filled clouds that block LoS, slow nearby fliers n such just to give orruks more ways to deal with shooting and speedy fliers)
And finally my favorite: GORK'S CATAPULT (Think doom diver catapults, but it's something your brutes and ardboyz use to get down the field more quickly.  Yes they can get hurt.  Maybe they can also hurt other people.  I dunno.  Like soulscream bridge but with damage going on)

EDIT: I guess it took me like 8 minutes to come up with those, but my point is that it's not hard and I'm sad it never happened!

Edited by willange
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, willange said:

GORK'S CATAPULT

addlasdlhsdjhd it's criminal that GSG didn't get a re-envisioned doom diver and perhaps a variant that tosses squigs. The doom diver is probably the most greenskin thing ever made.

Can you imagine if they had made it into a large scale artillery piece that you could load with whatever you want? Putting more stuff in it would reduce the range and increase the chances of a malfunction perhaps, but you could try to throw trolls or even mangler squigs down the board if you wanted.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

10 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

addlasdlhsdjhd it's criminal that GSG didn't get a re-envisioned doom diver and perhaps a variant that tosses squigs. The doom diver is probably the most greenskin thing ever made.

Can you imagine if they had made it into a large scale artillery piece that you could load with whatever you want? Putting more stuff in it would reduce the range and increase the chances of a malfunction perhaps, but you could try to throw trolls or even mangler squigs down the board if you wanted.

I’d rather see it in a new grot but crazier Grot army. Maybe following Rippa Snarlfang and the old wolf riding goblins.

Isnt Fist of Gork already a miniature?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

I’d rather see it in a new grot but crazier Grot army. Maybe following Rippa Snarlfang and the old wolf riding goblins.

Isnt Fist of Gork already a miniature?

Bah! nothing could be cooler than a squig mangonel. And yes, GW model designers that is a personal challenge. Prove me wrong.