The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

While you're right that AoS suffers from some of the same issues as 40k (especially outdated models from Fantasy), as someone who has played 40k (and liked the list building side of it), the reason I stopped playing was because of the slew of Space Marine releases. I played Chaos Knights and a little bit of Emperor's Children (because a true mortal Slaanesh army isn't possible without space marines in some capacity). 

It was very difficult to get excited for new lore, models, or extra bits because I had no interest in Space Marines. If you do - great, 40k could be perfect. But as someone who has no interest, it's not appealing. It wasn't that all releases were Space Marines, just that most of them were and I personally think they look bland and repetitive. Even though I have no interest in Sons of Behemat, for example, I was excited to see them come out because they're different. 

I'd say the exact same if Stormcast (or any army) made up that proportion of releases, lore, and extra bits. I didn't like how they got the lion's share of releases in the beginning of AoS, but the great thing is that's calmed down and other armies have had the chance to flourish in the lore and in models without any interaction from Stormcast (e.g. the main conflict atm is Aelves vs Slaanesh).  

So to sum up, I did stop playing 40k because I was sick of Space Marines and couldn't get excited for new releases and lore developments. Not liking Space Marines in 40k feels like not liking the main character of a book (but maybe liking a side character that comes up occasionally and the setting), you have to wonder when you should put the book down.  

Sorry if this seems a bit ranty - it's not meant to be - I just wanted to provide a counter to your point that 'space marine bad' isn't a reason people leave 40k :)

I've had a similar experience with 40K, though perhaps with a more positive outcome. I have never really had much interest in space marines and have never wanted to start an army that revolved around them. I instead collect Xenos armies, and while they don't get much support this means that I can be a lot more casual in my interest in the setting. I'll basically just ignore the setting unless a new Necron, Tyranid or Orky thing happens, and even then I'm content to hear it second hand most of the time. The armies are there if my friends want to play 40K with me (Which who am I kidding, is all the time, barely anyone plays AoS around here).
I don't think I could be as focused on 40K as I am on AoS lore, without not having any time to read all the lore, or paint all the models.

• Like 3

The statue on the cauldron of blood is mouthless rather than eyeless, but it's still a notably similar piece.  My gut says it's gonna be part of a Slaanesh thing, a dark mirror of the cauldron perhaps (or, well, as dark a mirror as you can get of something that's already covered in spikes and used for blood sacrifice...) 

I could see it as a DoK terrain piece too, big statues holding up a stationary cauldron or altar seems reasonable low hanging fruit for that.

• Like 1

Clearly it is Malerion with so much primer he has lost all detail.

In terms of AOS I will agree on Slaanesh. However, I am not up to date on my Drukahri lore and aesthetics but I think most of what has been speculated on is applicable to their designs but do the Eldar have statues? 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Haha 1

I actually think it's all that similar to the Cauldron of Blood statue. That one was clearly an elf with a prominent Khainite rune and had a slightly more angular, abstract style, unlike this dude. Not impossible - some sort of DoK terrain would be a handy one to bring in for the next DoK battletome, whenever that might be - but I think we should be cautious about confidently assigning it to a particular faction because the concept is seemingly similar to something they already have.

My gut says Slaanesh because of the emphasis on the marble effect, which is all over their recent releases, but then it's big and Slaanesh already has a centrepiece release coming (Sigvald) and a terrain piece. Malerion's Shadow-elves isn't impossible either but difficult to assign when we have zero real knowledge about the angle GW will take with them, if they'll even be a new faction, or how closely they'll be tied to DoK.

1 minute ago, Thaliontil said:

It can be my bias, but I think (and I love) that these mortals of Slaanesh look like the dark side of the Lumineth. This guy has a helmet that could easily fit with the Alarith...

In any case, stunning miniaiture. Can't wait to see the rest of the range!

I think it's rather a reference to biblical golden calf.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, michu said:

I think it's rather a reference to biblical golden calf.

I thought the same thing when I saw it.

Damn.  I've had zero interest in Slaanesh as a faction - never much cared for the style, themes, or motifs. But the models for their mortal followers, they're something else.

Edited by OkayestDM

Really like the new Slaanesh mini. This Slaanesh mortals release is shaping up really nice. The gold calf reference with this headpiece is really nice. I’m already thinking about some conversions using the alarith cow helms with those new Slaanesh warriors we saw earlier. 
the middle eastern vibe is spot on for me and an interesting new look for the mortals. 

• Like 5