The Rumour Thread

Marauders are the main reason I don't collect and play StD to be honest. Their models are terrible IMO, they just feel like random barbarian dudes compared to most of the rest of the range. If they looked more like the Darkoath Warqueen or the Warcry cultists that'd be a different story.

• Like 3

As someone that plays STD and Warcry, I really don't mind the warbands in AOS at all but I hate that they are completely overshadowed by marauders.

I think the issue lies less with the Warbands and more with how much better marauders are in every feasible way. Not a single Warcry warband is worth taking over a unit of marauders. I personally do not run marauders and I only use my warcry warbands for Rally the Tribes as it is sadly their only useful option providing summons for extra bodies. 

1 minute ago, amysrevenge said:

I'm shocked that more people don't just proxy these warbands AS marauders.  If I were to purchase any WarCry warbands, (unlikely as I'm a chump/idiot who never puts together the best builds available for his armies) they would slot straight into my list as Marauders.

There are two barriers:

1) Warbands don't all come on the same base size. 

2) Warbands have a variable number of models, some have more and some less.

So whilst you can do it, you might find that you have to buy more warbands than normal in order to have enough of the right base size and enough models to count. Basically yes you can do it; but its a bit messy

ALSO have you heard REALMSLAYER yet? The adventures of Gotrek within the Realms voiced by Brain Blessed? If the answer is yes, fantastic! If its no then have a look at this; its a big bundle of audio books and dramas.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/10/21/voices-of-warhammer-2020/?

Tier 2 (only £7.72) is all AoS stuff with Realmslayer; Nagash; Tollslayer; Soul Wars; Silver Shard and more! 

Direct link https://www.humblebundle.com/books/voices-warhammer-2020-black-library-books?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Overread really good link!

For me the best thing in the DoK warband is that one unit CAN be the Queen, and then you just put whatever you want. 
All Chaos warbands are "1 in 8/9" MUST BE, then add +1 Attack for that, add +1 Wound to the other, etc... come on... Gives us easy to read useful warscrolls or not at all. As already mentioned above it is possible to proxy them as Marauders with some patience.

Regarding the "Mark of Chaos", I'm not an StD player, but in most warbands Warcry lore they venerate mostly one aspect of a more or less defined God or directly Archaon. While giving them Chaos Undived mark could be a solution, lore wise would clash for some warbands and then you have a problem that you need to understand which warband can align to who etc... Of course anything can be retcon or you can use your imagination to have Scions of Flame follow Nurgle aspect of Archaon... or you could give Cultists a different role in StD like for example useful warscrolls and battleline (my preference).

9 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

For me the best thing in the DoK warband is that one unit CAN be the Queen, and then you just put whatever you want. 
All Chaos warbands are "1 in 8/9" MUST BE, then add +1 Attack for that, add +1 Wound to the other, etc... come on... Gives us easy to read useful warscrolls or not at all.

I actually missed that bit. Makes me think they will operate as a single unit per box. The Slaves to Darkness groups are designed to operate in large groups so it makes sense that each of the special ones are mandatory as you bulk up the unit. For the Daughters of Khaine if they are going with only one potential Queen in the group then this might mean that you won't be combining them into large units. Since that way one box gives you one full unit and any additional boxes are different units with their own queen; rather than ending up with only one queen and another model looking the same trying to be a regular trooper. 

The other option would be that each time you add more in stages for price in points, you use 1 less than a full box (leaving the queen model out). 

I'm surprised no one is talking about this. Although it has been edited fast and replaced by "daughters of khaine".

Still, seems like we got the name of malerion's faction: The Umbraneth. (Or at least part of the name, they can be named Umbraneth Shadowmuch or something like that).

Sin título.png

Edited by Jator
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

8 minutes ago, Jator said:

I'm surprised no one is talking about this. Although it has been edited fast and replaced by "daughters of khaine".

Still, seems like we got the name of malerion's faction: The Umbraneth. (Or at least part of the name, they can be named Umbraneth Shadowmuch or something like that).

Sin título.png

Fits in with the 'Eth'. SylvanETH, IdonETH, LuminETH, UmbranETH. 

Even Umbra means Shade or Shadow.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

13 minutes ago, Jator said:

Sin título.png

Not sure I'm such a fan of their name so obviously mirroring the Lumineth but it fits wider name schemes.

Edited by mojojojo101

4 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

Not sure I'm such a fan of their name so obviously mirroring the Lumineth but it fits wider name schemes.

To be fair, Hysh and Ulgu have always been depicted as the yin and yang equal-opposites realms, so the naming makes sense if they really want to hammer that theme home.

I agree though, it's a bit obvious. Then again, I was pulling for "Gloomineth," so I'm not really in a position to criticize.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

Fits in with the 'Eth'. SylvanETH, IdonETH, LuminETH, UmbranETH. 

Even Umbra means Shade or Shadow.

In a cruel twist Morathi is again left out! 

Light, Shadow, Life, Water (or whatever Idon stands for)

And then the Daughters of Khaine; a faction with no true god behind them; a faction weaker than the others in land held. One forced to live in the shadow of others. Oh how Morathi must rage at this! Even the names of factions slight her lack of godly power!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

Actually given the particular nature of this slip up I wonder if the DoK faction will be absorbed/conglomerated into the umbraneth Orruk style

It would be one way to resolve Morathi having much fewer choices model wise. But at the same time DoK stand on their own really well as an army. Adding a whole second-army worth of a different style in now would be possible, but it would be tricky.

I can see the two being strong allies, but the same army would be a tiny bit of a stretch at this stage. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Overread said:

There are two barriers:

1) Warbands don't all come on the same base size. 

2) Warbands have a variable number of models, some have more and some less.

That's a barrier for some (most?) people but not for me.  I bulk buy MDF bases, and would have no problem putting dudes on Marauder sized bases (or with having a handful of excess dudes left over at the end).  Realized I don't even know if Marauders are on 25s or 32s haha, I'd have to look it up haha.

It is true that the Warcry S2D cultists could be better in AoS.  That said, I have found them to not be entirely worthless.

As mentioned Untamed Beasts can cover a lot of range if they get the charge.  I also find Iron Golems to be a slightly cheaper alternative to static objective camping than Chaos Warriors while being able to take a hit as long as they didn't move.  The Splintered Fang are an okay sacrifice battery for Cabalists. The Unmade could be useful pinning a unit down if you could keep them alive long enough for that to matter.  Which is probably the biggest issue with Warcry Cultists: You pretty much lose handfuls of them to everything and they don't pull their weight in points almost ever.

As someone that primarily plays Ravagers S2D I find the Warcry cultists to be quite reasonable for a CP when I can spare it.  Which I think better illustrates a cost for them.  Warcry cultists are fine when they only cost 50pts (as in the cost of buying an extra CP) and have built in Reserves/Outflank rules. I am even okay with them not having the ability to take Marks then.  Which works fine as they technically haven't truly started the Path to Glory quite yet. 

The problem is that the Battletomb want a player to pay 70 points for them.  Which isn't as good of a savings compared to what Chaos Warriors even bring for twenty more points let alone Marauders the faction's Battleline and therefor at least a few are required in a list. I think they would be fair more attractive of an option if they were 50pts.  If that isn't enough, I think giving them innate Reserves/Outflank rules would especially make them worthwhile.  I kinda want them to always have Reserves/Outflank, but that isn't as valuable across the board to all types of cults.  The cults that reserves/outflank don't help aren't exactly the strongest already.   They don't even need to be Battleline, just something that doesn't sting as much when I am scooping up dozens of them off the table.

51 minutes ago, Overread said:

I can see the two being strong allies, but the same army would be a tiny bit of a stretch at this stage. 

Yeah I don't see Morathi sharing that kind of power with anyone. I wouldn't be surprised if the "shadow daemon possession" in their lore so far winds up being the Umbraneth allies are under her power and can't report back to or do anything for their real master, Malerion and his empires of shadowy devil aelves.

It even goes back to the naming conventions you mentioned. She personally created several races of aelves, Melusai, Khinerai and the Gorgai's. They belong to Her and bow to no other, only those she permits them to for her grand plans.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 3