The Rumour Thread

38 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

It makes much more sense to release Shadow and Light Elves, and maybe then Sylvaneth BT with Kurnothi in them as an expansion. 

This might depend on when in the story they want to release them. It could easily be that we're in for another year of "Age of Nagash", before they have the setting and actors in place for the Hysh and Ulgu elves to take the stage. Meanwhile, they are free to handle the stage and introduce minor actors.

5 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Also don't see any sense in Kurnothi release, it's another wood-themed Aelven force. It makes much more sense to release Shadow and Light Elves, and maybe then Sylvaneth BT with Kurnothi in them as an expansion. 

I remember rumours about how well the last chance to buy wood elves went and that they would definitely be back in some form, so it makes some sense in that context 

Edited by Carnelian

What makes sense is highly subjective and prior mentions doesn't indicate anything. 

However, as an educated guess I don't think we have seen the last of the Khurnothi as it was heavily hinted at by GW themselves in their reveal article.

Until GW reveals stuff to us, no one really knows and I actually really like that, we got quite a few surprises in 2019 and I hope it continues in 2020.

• Like 1

GW community staff hint at a lot, but many times its just empty hinting. If it isn't 3 months off the community/marketing team doesn't seem to have ANY idea of the future (and if they do they are totally banned from mentioning it). 

I still maintain that Underworlds releases are just flavourful releases that are unique to it alone. Dark Oath sort of got going, but at the same time that was aruond when GW made huge changes to AoS in general. I sitll think it was a mistake not to have a Dark Oath Warband for Warcry and I'm surprised GW Didn't make one as the queen and king both have the whole belt buckle icon going on that warbands have. That said with no warband and with those models that we do have now listed as mercenaries I don't think Darkoath is ever coming.

That siad even when the rumours of them were very frequent, in general the same issue kept popping up that they were basically just Slaves to Darkness again. Nothing about them was unique enough to stand apart from them. So  in a way I'm glad they didn't create a whole army for them.

Kurnothi are a bit the same, if only that it seems really mean to strip the Aelf part of Sylvaneth and then return it with a totally new Aelf force. That said I still hold out hope of seeing things like eagle surfing aelves returning to the Mortal Realms. 

My theory about "Darkoath" is that it was intended as a rebranding of the Slaves to Darkness, in much the same way that the Night Goblins became Gloomspite, and the ghosty parts of Death became Nighthaunt.

I think it was always planned to be precisely what we got, lots of various chaos tribes, united under the banners of the Darkoath Warqueens, with updates to some of the older chaos models.

However I think at some point they abandoned the idea to change the branding, and doubled down on calling it Slaves to Darkness instead.

Its telling that throughout 1st edition, eveything had bold new names, often one word, and with some sort of compound word in there. Then suddenly we started getting books with "classic titles" like Beast of Chaos and Skaven again. It seems like they pivoted away from renaming everything, and started using the iconic faction names again.

No way to know for sure, but that's my theory anyway.

• Like 2

I can see that - that said I think that Dark Oath was also originally just going to be a tribe of chaos and we'd have seen them as one of many tribes released bit by bit over the years; some staying some going. 

Certainly AoS has gone through some vast changes as a product

• Like 1

Unless GW is holding back that's no terrain for both and no spells (or equivalent) for KO. Still new tomes, new models, joint battlebox and coloured dice for Tzeentch! Talk about starting the year off with a bang with two tomes right out the door in the first weeks! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

Unless GW is holding back that's no terrain for both and no spells (or equivalent) for KO. Still new tomes, new models, joint battlebox and coloured dice for Tzeentch! Talk about starting the year off with a bang with two tomes right out the door in the first weeks! 

well, it's great ! 

Not a fan of the dice but happy that they exist.

The spells are nice but the kit bashed LoC heads ;)

I really wished to see a Cairn Flux tho ! 

Oh my god... just seen the new ‘coming soon’ post on WHC, this is going to result in the most incredible outburst of GW focused rage yet, isn’t it? 

I mean on the one hand if that’s it then yeah I feel bad for long time KO players but still holy ******, it’s  🍿🍿🍿 time. I reckon we could hook certain KO players up to the national grid and provide the country with a year’s worth of clean energy from this one.

Tzeentch spells and dice are really nice though. So that’s something I guess.

Edited by JPjr
  • Haha 1

Just now, JPjr said:

Oh my god... just seen the new ‘coming soon’ post on WHC, this is going to result in the most incredible outburst of GW focused rage yet, isn’t it? 

I mean on the one hand if that’s it then yeah I feel a bit bad for some people but still holy ******, it’s  🍿🍿🍿 time this will be one for the ages, hell I reckon we could hook KO players up to the national grid and provide the country with a year’s worth of clean energy from this one.

Why? Because they didn't get dice and spells? New units? Wasn't expecting anything except a book and maybe a hero, honestly.

I fully expected these would go up today, which makes the open day preview next week all the more interesting.

Edited by madmac

5 minutes ago, madmac said:

Why? Because they didn't get dice and spells? New units? Wasn't expecting anything except a book and maybe a hero, honestly.

I fully expected these would go up today, which makes the open day preview next week all the more interesting.

Mhm... they‘ve already spilled all their tea on the two factions. I hope there will be more news on other releases.

Fair enough, hopefully the new BT gives you a nice boost, I’ll be picking up the box and both BTs myself (assuming I can get a copy of Aether War that is) and am looking forward to starting a little KO force but I’m not sure that what’s been unveiled will be enough to  satisfy others who have opined at length about feeling persecuted and hated by GW.

personally I expect spells (of some kind maybe more techomancy stuff) and terrain to follow (though probably not for a while now) but I’d love to see them sooner rather than later as I think by their nature this faction would lend themselves to being some really really interesting models, same with Tzeentch terrain, that could have been super crazy.

Edited by JPjr

20 minutes ago, Overread said:

Unless GW is holding back that's no terrain for both and no spells (or equivalent) for KO.

Normally I am pretty chill about such things, but I have to say that I am pretty darned disappointed about this.

Of all the armies, Kharadron terrain has the potential to look incredibly awesome.

• Like 6