The Rumour Thread

16 minutes ago, Nos said:

If you give someone everything they need in one form of the game why would anyone feel the need to commit to a new one? If AOS 2.0 has all armies settled and on a par, why would someone want to start over with 3.0? 

I’ll just put a pointer out on Starcraft and just leave it there... Also they have basically done this for 40k now. All the armies are updated to 8.0 now. Though there is rumors that they are transitioning to no more codices and just doing campaign books with new models introduced as they move the story.

Another answer is also because of new blood and rules changes. What if they make everything on par for 2.0 and then when it’s settled they move to 3.0. New turn mechanics, spellcasting in combat phases, d6 dice are all changed to d10s. Maybe it’s more solid than 2.0.

If this draws in more people to play in your area are you going to be an elitist and snub the new ruleset, or join in so you can play with more people?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King Taloren said:

In before it’s another week of Legacy Build to order metal units and rules.  We’ll see some of the metal Slaanesh, Khorne, FEC (vampire counts) and Skaven units that have been OOP. Did Manfred have a model back in the day?

He did. One on foot and one mounted ;)

1 hour ago, King Taloren said:

I’ll just put a pointer out on Starcraft and just leave it there... Also they have basically done this for 40k now. All the armies are updated to 8.0 now. Though there is rumors that they are transitioning to no more codices and just doing campaign books with new models introduced as they move the story.

Another answer is also because of new blood and rules changes. What if they make everything on par for 2.0 and then when it’s settled they move to 3.0. New turn mechanics, spellcasting in combat phases, d6 dice are all changed to d10s. Maybe it’s more solid than 2.0.

If this draws in more people to play in your area are you going to be an elitist and snub the new ruleset, or join in so you can play with more people?

Starcraft? You mean the video game which has no rules or models or physical components or anything  in common with A GW product at all other than being a fictional universe? Even within that you’re wrong, as there are balance patches etc that constantly change the game. It’s just they don’t require printing of manuals and codexes to be implemented, just a readme doc.

As I said there is plenty logic behind a completed iteration, never disputed that. But there’s more going on at GW besides what we see or what we think makes sense. 

28 minutes ago, Nos said:

Starcraft? You mean the video game which has no rules or models or physical components or anything  in common with A GW product at all other than being a fictional universe? Even within that you’re wrong, as there are balance patches etc that constantly change the game. It’s just they don’t require printing of manuals and codexes to be implemented, just a readme doc.

You missed the key point though.  They made a sequel, even with how good the original was they went and did a 2.0 years later. Just because it is software and not physical does not invalidate the comparison. Though they did go back and remaster the original. Even more considering Starcraft was based on 40k originally. Empire space marines,  Tau and  Tyranids. It was still a finished game, FAQs and wreaths  are just patch notes for physical products.

the game has asymmetrical armies that contain multiple units that can be built in a multitude of ways and there are certain combos that are extremely overpowered. The main big difference is they only had to balance between three factions not the.... how many we have in sigmar?

Edited by King Taloren

It's sort of not the same though because SC2 was a vast visual upgrade over the first. It would be akin to AoS 2.0 using cardboard cutout models and then AoS 3.0 using models! 

Also as an aside its:

Spacemarines = Terrans
Eldar = Protoss
Zerg = Tyranid 

And amusingly the first copy was actually Warcraft because back then GW hired Blizzard to make the game and then they fell out. So Blizzard kept the game they'd worked on and reworked it into Warcraft. GW and Bliz both made the same choice to later take their fantasy games and push them into sci-fi settings. Though there's always a bit of back and forth - eg the early Raveners were clearly a take on the mighty Hydralisks from Starcraft. 

There was also Atrox which copied starcraft 1 with its own human, techno xeno and biological xeno armies - though its sadly a much lesser known title. 

Anyway that's getting somewhat sidetracked. Suffice it to say GW will never stop balancing, never stop revising old model designs and adding new models and adding new armies etc... IT's their bread and butter. Asides which even if they balanced the game perfectly the introduction of new mechanics or the changing of existing ones could well require a new edition to rebalance. Plus even if they don't make any huge sweeping changes just having an udpated version of the rules which include all new models (for the tomes) and all updated FAQ/Errata details would be worth it for most people. 

2 hours ago, Nos said:

If you give someone everything they need in one form of the game why would anyone feel the need to commit to a new one? If AOS 2.0 has all armies settled and on a par, why would someone want to start over with 3.0? 

Because new shiny! 😀

In all seriousness though, people love new stuff (be it new armies/models or tweaks to the rules). It keeps the game from getting stale.

20 minutes ago, Overread said:

It's sort of not the same though because SC2 was a vast visual upgrade over the first. It would be akin to AoS 2.0 using cardboard cutout models and then AoS 3.0 using models! 

No the graphics weren’t that bad. It’s more closer to using metal models and then upgrading to higher detailed plastic .

2 minutes ago, Minis by Night said:

looncurse.jpg.5056bcc1c56f6f6051f056b4ef65ada4.jpg

Looncurse probably this week! It looks like they messed up a bit on the Community website and changed the main banner too soon. When you click on it, you get a 404 page.

And THAT looks like a new hero, not 100% sure it's Sylvaneth though.

Dude great catch!!

So I'm not sure if this counts as a rumor, but it looks like this link went up on the Warhammer Community site, but the link 404s? Anyway, I guess Looncurse is May.

EDIT: whoops, I was too slow, haha

Looncurse.jpg

Edited by jaebird

2 minutes ago, madmac said:

That is a stupidly cool looking Sylvaneth hero...

I don't have room to start a Sylvaneth army though, and I don't see myself getting Looncurse because I super don't have room to start a Gloomspite army.

Nor do I but if the price is right and there is there is a new remade fantastic model for the Gloomspite Gitz, you can bet I’ll take it

42 minutes ago, madmac said:

That is a stupidly cool looking Sylvaneth hero...

I don't have room to start a Sylvaneth army though, and I don't see myself getting Looncurse because I super don't have room to start a Gloomspite army.

Well thank god I have a gloomspite army and have been looking at sylvaneth for a long time.

I'm really stoked for this boxed set. This is full-on speculation, but my semi-realistic wishlist for the contents would be:

Sylvaneth Hero

2x5 Revenants

1x3 Kurnoths

vs.

Goblin Hero (probably loonboss on squig)

10 Hoppers/Bounders

12 Squig Herd

20 Grots

The MSRP adds up to $262 + heroes, which happens to be the same MSRP as Carrion Empire exactly.

This would be ideal for Sylvaneth as it would mean everything but heroes will be available in a discounted set (at least temporarily), and it gives Moonclan a nice, thematic set of models at a discount.

10 Hoppers/Bounders and 40 grots would also be a possibility.

The main drawback of the either of the aforementioned configurations is that the set would be completely imbalanced internally, but I'm not sure that is actually a concern to GW.

EDIT: and while I'm at it let me wishlist a warscroll update for revenants increasing the cost but bumping them up to 2 wounds each, similar to Fyreslayers. I think it's going to be hard to make them viable as a mainline unit as 5 man, 1 wound, 5+ save squads. If that change were made the boxed set would actually be internally balanced.

Edited by swarmofseals